Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Yasir Qadhi - Losing My Religion Conference

(Read 6719 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Yasir Qadhi - Losing My Religion Conference
     OP - April 23, 2017, 04:50 PM

So apparently muslim leaders are increasingly worried about young people leaving islam so they decided to host a conference.

this is the example of the type of nonsense you see being spouted.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #1 - April 23, 2017, 04:55 PM

Also from an exmuslim who was at the conference Yasir said that anyone who questions allah is following the satanic methodology.

Reply #2 - April 23, 2017, 05:40 PM

Did you know Dawahman denounced him? I think...

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #3 - April 23, 2017, 11:42 PM

Man do these people need to go this low. They are actually saying that people shouldn't analyze their faith critically...

Well because if you do, it all falls like a house of cards  Cheesy Cheesy

Do not think, just believe!  Afro

Also from an exmuslim who was at the conference Yasir said that anyone who questions allah is following the satanic methodology.

Jajajajaja at least now we know being a Yale graduate means nothing when it comes to critical thinking.

Classic MLM Salesman behavior. Cheesy
     Reply #4 - April 24, 2017, 12:34 AM

Got any footage from the conference?

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #5 - April 24, 2017, 12:36 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bame0kg24HI

- Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #6 - April 24, 2017, 07:29 AM

What a douchebag. As if the absolute majority of Muslims don't believe because of pure emotional reasons. You ask a regular person to explain scientific issues, who most people havr very little knowledge of to explain in a satisfactory way, and when they fail duuuh Islam is right Grin

I recognize this way of theatrical speaking, it makes me sick because it comes off as a dishonest salesman character.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #7 - April 24, 2017, 12:53 PM

So, if that’s the case, then were the angels following the “Satanic methodology” when they question Allah about his decision to create Adam? Was Ibrahim following the “Satanic methodology” when he asked to see how the dead were brought back to life?

Or is that just a new buzz phrase Yasir came up with that he hasn’t fully thought through?
     Reply #8 - April 24, 2017, 02:11 PM

So

........ angels
    ........... “Satanic methodology”
    ....... Allah
    ......Adam?
    .............life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA_onMVP-dc
     Yasir, dear dumb skull ..........Fools talk nonsense  in circles and YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO HIGH SCHOOL

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #9 - April 24, 2017, 02:15 PM

any chance of a vid of the conference?
     Reply #10 - April 24, 2017, 02:18 PM

Or is that just a new buzz phrase Yasir came up with that he hasn’t fully thought through?

Well given that yasir admits to having doubts himself technically even he himself followed the satanic methodology during his islamic studies program at Yale.

In other parts of the speech he said that well since the human mind is fallible you can't really know anything for certain anyways so if something about islam doesn't make sense its just a limitation of the human mind. Allah and his messenger know best and all that.

He also apparently said that instead of asking questions about islam young muslims should question why they are even doubting islam in the first place. Question the question! as he likes to say.

Reply #11 - April 24, 2017, 02:29 PM

If the human mind is fallible, then the human mind’s conclusion that Islam is true must also be scrutinized.
     Reply #12 - April 24, 2017, 04:13 PM

If the human mind is fallible, then the human mind’s conclusion that Islam is true must also be scrutinized.

you guys  scrutinize all you  want on Islam  but    DO NOT GO TO QURAN  AND SCRUTINIZE IT because that is not from human mnd...

Reply #13 - April 24, 2017, 08:19 PM

The Quran is definitely written by men.... otherwise it would not contain so many obvious contradictions, scientific mistakes and immoral and totally unacceptable commands. The Creater of the universe (if it exists) would never allow the rape of sex slaves for example,, or the beating of women, or taking over non-Muslim lands, or marrying little children and many other evil deeds. The Qur'an is a bad copy of Judaism, mixed with Arab paganism. Judaism is a copy of ancient Sumerian beliefs and other ancient mythologies. 
     Reply #14 - April 24, 2017, 10:25 PM

In other parts of the speech he said that well since the human mind is fallible you can't really know anything for certain anyways so if something about islam doesn't make sense its just a limitation of the human mind. Allah and his messenger know best and all that.

Apply his logic to the Quran. Either he must use a  faith based position or admit there is a possibility of it not being the word of God thus his entire talk is moot.

He also apparently said that instead of asking questions about islam young muslims should question why they are even doubting islam in the first place. Question the question! as he likes to say.

To which I would point out his own point about humans being fallible thus can not know for certain Islam is true.

I always find it amusing when apologists refuted their own points in their rush to defend their religion. 

Reply #15 - April 24, 2017, 10:26 PM

Damn you beat me to it.
     Reply #16 - April 24, 2017, 10:59 PM

They really are getting desperate. These men either have not identified the root cause, or they are adamant about denying it  Roll Eyes
     Reply #17 - April 25, 2017, 03:03 PM

you would think these preachers would be the first to leave religion. they know far more than most ordinary muslims yet they still continue to peddle this stuff.
     Reply #18 - April 25, 2017, 10:23 PM

@babooshka

Indeed... I think it's because of the fear of Hellfire (lol) and the deep-rooted fear of the unknown (what will happen when I die?) Also, it's very hard to leave religion especially Islam, if you have been indoctrinated with it from childhood. Religion completely destroys one's ability to think rationally.
     Reply #19 - April 26, 2017, 02:29 AM

any chance of a vid of the conference?

- Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #20 - April 26, 2017, 06:40 PM

You should grab a coffee with Yasir sometime.   Maybe if he sees that a fellow university of madina graduate left islam he might be encouraged to pursue his doubts.

Reply #21 - April 27, 2017, 01:27 PM

Well, Yasir certainly went much further along in his religious studies than I did, so I think it would be fair if he did not consider me his “fellow.”

More importantly, though, I’m not particularly interested in going out of my way to sow doubt in people who chose to remain religious. There are literally hundreds of millions of different perspectives one can have on the role of religion in the world and it would be next to impossible to spend my time refuting each of them.

It is not as binary as the dichotomy between literal fundamentalism and militant atheism.

What I would be somewhat interested in doing with Yaasir, however, is exploring the links that exist between the world’s different religions and philosophies. I’ve said this before – and I still think there is a lot of usefulness in exploring the topic of religion this way – religion and spirituality are uniquely human ways of experiencing the world.

Much in the same way that the color red only truly exists in the mind of the perceiver, through the use of things like abstract symbolism, language, and ritual, religions create a realm that is, as far as we know, only experienced by human beings through our own psyche. Some might call it the imagination. I hesitate to use that word because of its silly and childish connotations, but I don’t intend it to be purely a negative thing.

On the contrary, I think that there were (and potentially still are) benefits to having this collective abstract space that groups can retreat to when needed, and this is a core function that I think religions provide. Through this shared abstract space, people are able to communicate values and ideals, share stories and morals, galvanize energy towards common goals, and escape from the stress of overwhelming realities through trance-like states of prayer and devotion.

There are also links in my mind between things like music and Qur’anic recitation; thikr and mantras; prayer and meditation; even religious rules and regulations and “common sense” best practices for life. A huge problem with modern Sunni Islam, in my opinion, is not that it has these features, but that it has fossilized itself in its 10th century form while actively resisting inevitable change.

I’d like to be able to point out to a “believer” that while their abstract space may indeed be very real to them, other people and cultures have different perceptions based on their own traditions and experiences of the world.

The more removed your religion becomes from what is actually happening on the ground however, the less useful and more dangerous it becomes.  That is what I see happening with Sunni Islam today. The package deal that thrived in the Middle East in the Middle Ages will simply never work again. That should be painfully obvious.

Rather than seeing Yaasir completely abandon Islam, I’d be much more interested in hearing him admit that while there are some useful bits that can serve as a contributions to the modern world, there is a heck of a lot more that simply needs to be discarded.

Reply #22 - April 28, 2017, 01:21 AM

13 13 clap clap
     Reply #23 - May 01, 2017, 10:25 PM

Man do these people need to go this low. They are actually saying that people shouldn't analyze their faith critically...

Well because if you do, it all falls like a house of cards  Cheesy Cheesy

Do not think, just believe!  Afro

Quran chapter 5 verses 101-102.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #24 - May 02, 2017, 03:01 AM

https://quran.com/5/101-102

101: O you who have believed, do not ask about things which, if they are shown to you, will distress you. But if you ask about them while the Qur'an is being revealed, they will be shown to you. Allah has pardoned that which is past; and Allah is Forgiving and Forbearing.

102: A people asked such [questions] before you; then they became thereby disbelievers.

Cheesy Cheesy
     Reply #25 - May 02, 2017, 11:35 PM

Well, Yasir certainly went much further along in his religious studies than I did, so I think it would be fair if he did not consider me his “fellow.”

More importantly, though, I’m not particularly interested in going out of my way to sow doubt in people who chose to remain religious. There are literally hundreds of millions of different perspectives one can have on the role of religion in the world and it would be next to impossible to spend my time refuting each of them.

It is not as binary as the dichotomy between literal fundamentalism and militant atheism.

What I would be somewhat interested in doing with Yaasir, however, is exploring the links that exist between the world’s different religions and philosophies. I’ve said this before – and I still think there is a lot of usefulness in exploring the topic of religion this way – religion and spirituality are uniquely human ways of experiencing the world.

Much in the same way that the color red only truly exists in the mind of the perceiver, through the use of things like abstract symbolism, language, and ritual, religions create a realm that is, as far as we know, only experienced by human beings through our own psyche. Some might call it the imagination. I hesitate to use that word because of its silly and childish connotations, but I don’t intend it to be purely a negative thing.

On the contrary, I think that there were (and potentially still are) benefits to having this collective abstract space that groups can retreat to when needed, and this is a core function that I think religions provide. Through this shared abstract space, people are able to communicate values and ideals, share stories and morals, galvanize energy towards common goals, and escape from the stress of overwhelming realities through trance-like states of prayer and devotion.

There are also links in my mind between things like music and Qur’anic recitation; thikr and mantras; prayer and meditation; even religious rules and regulations and “common sense” best practices for life. A huge problem with modern Sunni Islam, in my opinion, is not that it has these features, but that it has fossilized itself in its 10th century form while actively resisting inevitable change.

I’d like to be able to point out to a “believer” that while their abstract space may indeed be very real to them, other people and cultures have different perceptions based on their own traditions and experiences of the world.

The more removed your religion becomes from what is actually happening on the ground however, the less useful and more dangerous it becomes.  That is what I see happening with Sunni Islam today. The package deal that thrived in the Middle East in the Middle Ages will simply never work again. That should be painfully obvious.

Rather than seeing Yaasir completely abandon Islam, I’d be much more interested in hearing him admit that while there are some useful bits that can serve as a contributions to the modern world, there is a heck of a lot more that simply needs to be discarded.

This is one of the few times I've found your thoughts and reflections as being out of touch, as opposed to enlightening, and I've read your posts for a while.

Yasir Qadhi is steeped in a milieu of Islam that has had little to do with individual spirituality or abstract spaces. It is an edifice of conformity, and the way in which the edifice presses on both the community and individual believers like Qadhi makes such an admission from him incredibly unlikely even if he found it to be sensible.

I also believe that the out ex-Muslim community ends up being relatively large in comparison to openly hetorodox or Quranist interpreters of the faith as a direct consequence of this.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #26 - May 03, 2017, 09:12 AM

Hu!  what??   asbie   .....asbie  why do you say this??
    This is one of the few times I've found your thoughts and reflections as being out of touch, as opposed to enlightening, and I've read your posts for a while.

Yasir Qadhi is steeped in a milieu of Islam that has had little to do with individual spirituality or abstract spaces. It is an edifice of conformity, and the way in which the edifice presses on both the community and individual believers like Qadhi makes such an admission from him incredibly unlikely [i]even if[/i] he found it to be sensible.

that  asbie  says  to this ibn Bilal Global  post  Let me forget this Yasir Qadhi  for a sec.,   Errrr  i don't even care about fools that run in circles with some faith mambo-jumbo..  but I do care a bit what ibn Bilal  says .. So  let me read that post carefully  to figure out  why his words  in that post are "OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY"

ibn Bilal  Nuggets:

who cares who goes where with faiths.......  I don't care  as long as faith heads do not step on my head

Well   why do you oppose that dear asbie?    explain me a bit please. That is fine with me and I think that should be fine with you asbie but the question is. does Yasir kiddie follow the same rule as that of ibn Bilal  set for himself ?

I am lost understanding those words ..

literal fundamentalism in faiths or in atheism??  do we have any literal fundamentalist manual for atheists??

and what is militant atheism??   examples please ... Should we consider  so-called  communists as militant atheists??

What I would be somewhat interested in doing with Yaasir, however, is exploring the links that exist between the world’s different religions and philosophies.

well that is nothing but origins and history of faiths/religions how each faith/faith heads influence/interact with other faiths/faith heads .. but we must realize here that is only possible if everyone agrees including Yasir Qadhi types "that these faith books (( I call them ritual manuals))  are NOT  THE WORDS  OF SOME SUPER DUPER SUPREME SPECIES so called .....god/allah/voodoo doll whatever ....   but they are from humans/sounds of humans  and have human origins "

I’ve said this before – and I still think there is a lot of usefulness in exploring the topic of religion this way – religion and spirituality are uniquely human ways of experiencing the world[/i].

True I agree with that ..  I know what religion/faith means   as it is well defined with set of rules from different faiths/faith books and by faith heads  but I do not know the meaning of spirituality.,  I am still searching for it,   it  is certainly  not within the distance of the travel that made by these space crafts  .  Well maybe it is somewhere in our galaxy

Ha!  some link  gives this picture

and says all those dots are  galaxies as big as milky way.,  May be these spirits ..spiritual controls are  in the hand  of someone that is living   in one of those galaxy .. WELL SEARCH SHOULD GO ON.....

Much in the same way that the color red only truly exists in the mind of the perceiver, through the use of things like abstract symbolism, language, and ritual, religions create a realm that is, as far as we know, only experienced by human beings through our own psyche.

No...No... noooo  we know very well how we see red color its wavelength its energy and how eye detects and sends electrical pulses to brain..etc...etc..   IT IS NOT MIND., it is brain at its best

Some might call it the imagination. I hesitate to use that word because of its silly and childish connotations, but I don’t intend it to be purely a negative thing.

well imagination of  a concept is  nothing   but a proposal of an hypothesis.. And hypotheses are explorable  and people should have freedom to explore.  Unfortunately these faiths/spirits/spiritual/psyche/psychos/faith heads  do not explore/test these so-called hypothesis of religions  but they enforce them on societies.....  often for collecting  loot and booty for their needs in life .. they use faiths and faith rules from faith books

Well that is possible only when faith heads(leaders who preach faiths)  of different faiths agree that  ALL FAITHS HAVE HUMAN ORIGINS AND THERE IS NO DIVINE ORIFICE  that spelled the  rules of a faith through these faith heads  

There are also links in my mind between things like music and Qur’anic recitation; thikr and mantras; prayer and meditation; even religious rules and regulations and “common sense” best practices for life.

off course everyone enjoys  music  Arabic or otherwise language is irrelevant .. language music songs  sonnets are nothing to do with music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYpPfN6dEbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pftEwA4RFQ

Good music  good sounds.. good songs I enjoy and I am sure even  even militant atheists  also enjoy.,   who are those rascals  Cheesy Cheesy   dear  ibn Bilal

A huge problem with modern Sunni Islam, in my opinion, is not that it has these features, but that it has fossilized itself in its 10th century form while actively resisting inevitable change.

well Sunni Islam is Islam .,removes sunnis from Islam you will end up with Arabic songs and sonnets

asbie...dear asbie talk to me ., why do you disagree with the above statement of ibn bilal??  don't we need such dialogues ??

The more removed your religion becomes from what is actually happening on the ground however, the less useful and more dangerous it becomes. That is what I see happening with Sunni Islam today. The package deal that thrived in the Middle East in the Middle Ages will simply never work again. That should be painfully obvious.

well I need to understand those words I guess what ibn bilal   saying   is,  

"STAY AWAY FROM LITERAL INTERPRETATION OF YOUR FAITH BOOKS  but use those sayings for songs,  sonnets and singing "

Well asbie I agree with what ibn  bilal said  there and you must agree with what I agree  otherwise..otherwise.....   ..HELL FIRE ...HELL FIRE..  jahannam.  or that  Jewish  Gehennom

asbie : I also believe that the out ex-Muslim community ends up being relatively large in comparison to openly hetorodox or Quranist interpreters of the faith as a direct consequence of this.

I am waiting for that.. it  is year18 since I started questioning faiths and faith heads . ,
    will that happen within my lifetime??  well  i don't know ..allah knows the best

otherwise,  after my life I don't care   dear asbie..

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Reply #27 - May 03, 2017, 02:00 PM

Edit. I want to give Asbie's post the consideration it deserves. I realize it’s been some time since I’ve dumped my thoughts regarding religions onto this site and I can’t expect everyone to connect the same dots in the same ways that I have, nor do I think such agreement is even necessary.

My main premise is that there could potentially be more benefit in exposing the commonalities that exist between religious memes, treating them equally, and exploring the evolutionary advantages that might have come from our ability to hold abstract beliefs and unite ourselves through symbolism and ritual.
     Reply #28 - May 04, 2017, 02:46 PM

My main premise is that there could potentially be more benefit in exposing the commonalities that exist between religious memes, treating them equally, and exploring the evolutionary advantages that might have come from our ability to hold abstract beliefs and unite ourselves through symbolism and ritual.

It's a very lofty and worthwhile goal, and I wouldn't dream of discouraging you from it. You just won't find it from mainstream religious leaders, like Yasir Qadhi, and this is really in a nutshell is what I'm getting at with my post.

I think evidence of this is that among Big Religion, interfaith is rarely given much more than lip service treatment, and used as an opportunity for good PR, as opposed to being the sort of transformative force that it could be. At least, this seems to be the case with Islam especially, anyway.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »