Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Md.mohiuddin megathread

(Read 12457 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Could Atheism Replace Religion?
     Reply #30 - June 12, 2017, 08:57 PM

I was asked recently whether I thought atheism could replace religion..............

No.

Next Q.

Well Question is how do we define those words? do  we really need to replace with one another??

What is Religion?and What is Atheism  ?

1).  Various Definitions of Religion

2). Some Definitions of Religion

3). The Pragmatics of Defining Religion in
    a Multi-cultural World

4).Islam and Humanity's Need of it

5). Atheism justified, and religion superseded

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #31 - June 12, 2017, 09:21 PM

Good question Md.Mohluddin.  The atheist ideologues will be posting one derisive post after another .. but that's their prerogative.   As an unrepentant 'faith head' (as yeezevee calls me) my answer is that the world is a spiritual place and I think always will be.   But we need some definitions.   I'm not a huge fan of Institutional religion myself, but I believe in God and the afterlife.   So faith would be my favored term.   And the vast majority of mankind has faith of one kind or another.

As you say .. belief in God provides comfort to millions.  It should also promote love and kindness and not intolerance and violence.  I think Islam has done a terrible job of turning thousands (millions?) off of God.  It really is the 'the slowest kid in the class' as Gordon Murray calls it.   Just think about Shengen - free movement of people within the EU.  What a fabulous idea ... I love it.   But Islamic terrorists are making it impossible.   Islam is arguably the biggest barrier to human progress in the world right now.  Will it blow itself up?   Will it die a natural death as the internet and global communications spread knowledge to formerly isolated and intimidated muslims?   I certainly hope so.

But .. to return to your question.  People need inspiration, not just negative ideas.   Atheism denies God.   Atheists are sometimes referred to as people who are angry at God (definitely one or 2 of those on this site).   I truly believe the world of religion has pleasant and positive surprises in store for humanity.  This is the darkest hour ... it will get better.  Hey .. that faith talking!

Reply #32 - June 12, 2017, 09:22 PM

Atheism won't replace religion any time soon as the psychology of religion is far more complex than what it's strawmanned to be. Also, many internet' freethinkers' are cringey and superfluous as fuck.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #33 - June 12, 2017, 09:34 PM

............. As an unrepentant 'faith head' (as yeezevee calls me) my answer is that the world is a spiritual place and I think always will be.  ..........................

well Unifier.,you are wrong., I say YOU ARE NOT A FAITH HEAD .,  at best you are a "Spiritual Head" dear Unifier.,

Let me define Faith head.,  

I call "any person who will not allow  to question and  do not question his/her faith/faith books /faith rituals" as... faith head..  I do not consider you as such person..

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Reply #34 - June 12, 2017, 09:35 PM

How the hell could "atheism" (what is this ism part) replace religion?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #35 - June 12, 2017, 09:43 PM

The ism suffix usually denotes a belief system of some sort.

Reply #36 - June 12, 2017, 09:55 PM

Hence my confusion when people use it, as though there's some atheist doctrine.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #37 - June 12, 2017, 10:03 PM

I wouldn't say that atheism is a belief system proper as it isn't comprehensive enough, but it is an element of naturalism. I would definitely argue that atheism is a belief.

Reply #38 - June 12, 2017, 10:22 PM

By definition it's a lack of belief, unless you want to argue lack of belief and belief are the same thing. True not believing in something can shape your world view. I might live my life differently if I believed certain myths were true, so I realise it can influence behaviour, but beliefs are add-ons. My lack of belief in a theistic god isn't an "ism", it's not an add-on, it's a lack of something.

Reply #39 - June 12, 2017, 10:37 PM

I reject lacktheism. Atheism as a doxastic position on the existence of God(s) is only available to those who have enough agency to consider the question.

If an atheist is one who lacks belief in God, then a rock is also an atheist as it trivially lacks belief in God.

Reductio ad absurdums like the above are valid with reference to the above definition. I contend that if reductios like my example are consistent with a definition, then there is something wrong with the definition.

Secondly, actual philosophical literature almost exclusively treats atheism as either a negative belief towards a positive statement or a positive belief towards a negative statement. You won't find many (if any) pieces of work using the "lack" definition.

I'd rather go with actual Philosophy when it comes to matters like these.

Reply #40 - June 12, 2017, 10:42 PM

I reject lacktheism. Atheism as a doxastic position on the existence of God(s) is only available to those who have enough agency to consider the question.

Doesn't that suggest that we have some sort of instinctive belief in a god rather than having this belief taught to us?

Reply #41 - June 12, 2017, 10:43 PM

No. It has nothing to do with properly basic beliefs.

Reply #42 - June 13, 2017, 12:14 AM

But if atheism is doxastic that means that it's the result of reasoning, no? Rather than simply being a basic state and theism being something taught. Or am I not understanding you?

Reply #43 - June 13, 2017, 12:15 AM

Yes and No. You're not properly understanding it.

Dw bout it, it's late.

Reply #44 - June 13, 2017, 12:18 AM

I'll take "it's late" as my justification. Grin A very gracious response, my good sir. Afro

Reply #45 - June 13, 2017, 12:28 AM

You're talking to the guy who just stood at a shop counter with a bottle of drink for like 2 minutes before realising that I should pay for it lmao

Lethargy and drugs do mad things to everyone, have no shame.

I need to stop taking part in this type of discourse anyway.

Reply #46 - June 13, 2017, 02:36 AM

I hope not. I learn new things from you. Grin

Reply #47 - June 14, 2017, 01:41 AM

Atheism won't replace religion any time soon as the psychology of religion is far more complex than what it's strawmanned to be. Also, many internet' freethinkers' are cringey and superfluous as fuck.

So are a lot of things in this world that have managed to catch on.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #48 - June 14, 2017, 01:51 AM

Secondly, actual philosophical literature almost exclusively treats atheism as either a negative belief towards a positive statement or a positive belief towards a negative statement. You won't find many (if any) pieces of work using the "lack" definition.

The latter of those is I think the overstretch that atheists would contest. "I believe that there is no god" is way farther from the "lack" definition than "I do not believe that there is a god". The latter to me seems almost trivially different from a "lack of belief in the existence of god". But I guess those are the hairs that we're splitting anyway.

Regardless, as far as OP is concerned no, I don't think that any of these definitions are near robust enough to inspire a replacement to religion and all that it has encompassed in human life. Then again, I don't think its necessarily that hard to replace religion with what would be defined as secular alternatives.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #49 - June 14, 2017, 01:52 AM

I need to stop taking part in this type of discourse anyway.

Make sure to disregard the rest of this thread after your post then.  Cheesy

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #50 - June 14, 2017, 02:12 AM

:@

So wanna reply but I'm gonna exercise restraint. I'm right though so it's all good.

Reply #51 - June 14, 2017, 02:14 AM

Make sure to disregard the rest of this thread after your post then.  Cheesy

Already have

• June 20, 2017 Atheist Groups Doing More Than Atheism
     Reply #52 - June 20, 2017, 02:26 PM

I think that one of the main problems with trying to establish any sort of atheist community, from a small group of people who meet face-to-face to a large coalition who gather online online, is that atheism is virtually content-free. I say this not just because of the limited meaning of atheism but because atheism is primarily a reaction to religious belief. If an atheist community were to try to limit their focus to atheism (and I'm not suggesting they should), it seems that they'd be dealing with no more than two broad areas:
    Criticism of religion (e.g., explaining what is wrong with religion, why it is irrational, how it is detrimental to human progress)
    Promotion of atheism and/or secularism (e.g., encouraging others to make the break from religious belief and attempting to facilitate this process by providing a range of supports, working to strengthen the separation of church and state, attempting to improve public opinions of atheists)
    If this sounds limiting, that's because it is limiting. Most atheist groups and communities do much more than these things, and nothing is wrong with that. We just need to recognize that as soon as they do, they are doing something a bit different than atheism. Once again, nothing is wrong with that. It can be helpful to look out for one potential problem that can result: adding other things to atheism sometimes creates divisions.

If I created a group for atheist horror fans (which would be an odd thing to do), it would be silly to think that I'd attract atheists to the group who were not horror fans. Why would any atheist who was not a horror fan have any desire to be part of my group? They wouldn't, and so this would be a limiting factor on the size of my group. If I created a group for atheist liberals, I probably wouldn't have to worry much about growth potential. But because it is tough to imagine many conservative atheists wanting to join such a group, I'd have to be content with limited viewpoint diversity. Some conservative atheists might check out such a group, but few would probably want to stick around as active members. And even if they did, I'd wonder how they would be treated by the majority.

Creating a group for people who are atheists and who also share another interest or socio-political ideology is not necessarily a bad thing. I see nothing wrong, for example, with a group trying to attract atheists who are liberal, share humanistic values, and have a strong commitment to social justice activism. If they are up-front about their values and aim to attract members who share them, more power to them. The challenge for such a group is likely to involve the negative effects of limited viewpoint diversity, as well as how to prevent the imposition of ideological litmus tests, infighting, and periodic purges from harming the cohesiveness, functioning, and growth of the group.

The fact that atheism itself is quite limited in scope should not prevent atheists from coming together around any shared interest or set of views. The challenge when they do is how best to balance the common desire to reach more people, expand their size, and maintain viewpoint diversity with the equally common desire to maintain the mission of their group and minimize what they perceive as unwelcome trouble-making.

No religion no war, No religious justification no discrimination.Free thinking & humanism is the way forward for global peace establishment.One law for all human being.
  • Muslims are hypocrites
     Reply #53 - June 22, 2017, 01:44 PM

I love how people are extremely pious during ramadan, but during eid they disobey and commit fisq(which means disobeying Allah's rules & commands and sinning.)

I know a guy, all 11 months he drinks alcohol, has sex with many women is a Pick Up Artist, but when ramadan comes he turns into a religious police (mutawaa) , and gives people who do not fast long ass lectures about "doing the right thing" , Have you ever encountered these types of muslims? They are abundant in Lebanon.

Another guy, I met through a friend at a pub, I told him that I am an atheist.
    And he gave me a lecture that atheism is wrong and Islam is right.
    I asked "Why are you trying to reconvert me to Islam, and you are holding a glass of whiksey?"

On Sunday, ramadan will end , pubs will be full. And many of these hypocrites will be wasted from alcohol.

No religion no war, No religious justification no discrimination.Free thinking & humanism is the way forward for global peace establishment.One law for all human being.
  • Muslims are hypocrites
     Reply #54 - June 22, 2017, 01:47 PM

The first guy you mentioned sounds like a legend.

A perfectly just God who sentences his imperfect creation to infinite punishment for finite sins is impossible
  • Muslims are hypocrites
     Reply #55 - June 22, 2017, 01:54 PM

"Muslims are hypocrites" says   Muhammad  mohiuddin

I say ..

"ALL FAITH HEADS  WHO  DO NOT ALLOW TO QUESTION THEIR FAITH/FAITH BOOKS/FAITH RULES FROM  EVERY FAITH/RELIGION ARE HYPOCRITES "

• Muslims are hypocrites
     Reply #56 - June 22, 2017, 10:43 PM

Could be worse. They could be like that all year.

• Muslims are hypocrites
     Reply #57 - June 22, 2017, 10:55 PM

I really think most people are hypocritical and don't even notice. Like those who tell you to cover your hair and yet are still looking at you when you are uncovered and they are explaining this to you. Like, if you think people should not be looked at, why do you look? How many Muslim men ever lower their gaze, really? Not a lot.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Muslims are hypocrites
     Reply #58 - June 23, 2017, 02:30 AM

It took a significant effort for me to look females in the eyes. I mean now it's straightforward, but my point is I think it's probable that more Muslim men than you think avoid looking at women.

Not that that sort of barrier is a good thing, anyway.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Muslims are hypocrites
     Reply #59 - June 23, 2017, 02:31 AM

I can tell you for certain that the ones who are telling you to cover your hair are definitely looking.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »