Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: 17-year-old girl from Birmingham subject to religious inquisition

(Read 9320 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 17-year-old girl from Birmingham subject to religious inquisition
     OP - April 03, 2017, 01:15 PM

Can't believe no one's started a thread on this.

Drawing the Line Against ‘Footloose’ Fatwas in the U.K.

A Muslim teenager filmed twerking while wearing her headscarf causes a storm of unacceptable but all-too-predictable intolerance.

A Muslim girl wearing a headscarf was filmed dancing in the streets of Birmingham, U.K.—twerking, in fact—and the smartphone video soon went viral, viewed over a million times. Ironically, it was popularized in no small part by outraged Muslim men.

The fundamentalist Muslim backlash directed at this anonymous 17-year-old girl’s innocuous behavior was instant, personal, and severe. Amid threats in comment threads such as, “Fu**ing sl*t someone give me her address I will kill her,” and “Stupid b**ch needs to be killed,” the young girl issued a tearful, pitiful public apology that was broadcast by a pair of fundamentalist roving-fatwa YouTubers as a “repentance” to placate the frothing Islamist mob.

Two days later the world celebrated International Women’s Day. But amid a plethora of “feminist” pronouncements, including denunciations of transgender women, Emma Watson’s breasts, and even “Zionism,” not one major feminist organization or mainstream media outlet touched on what had just transpired.

A British Muslim girl was publicly slut-shamed, witch-hunted, and threatened until she totally submitted to the diktats of fundamentalist British-Muslim men, and the incident went barely noticed by our British left. This is despite the fact the brazen persecution was carried out unashamedly and unapologetically for all to witness by a pair of social media cretins.

The incident centered around the page of a quasi-literate fundamentalist British Muslim street preacher named Ali Da’wah (which somewhat unoriginally means: Ali Preaching) and his Penfold-like sidekick, Musa.

Unlike certain intersectional feminists who seem to have forgotten what it is that they are meant to be fighting for, Ali Da’wah makes no secret of his disdain for women: “I believe Muslim woman [sic] don’t need feminism… What does feminism offer that Islam doesn’t? What if feminism opposed Islam which one will you follow?” just after posting a meme showing a woman who looks frustrated and angry that reads: “When you can’t open a jar after thirty minutes and realize you’re not a strong independent woman who doesn’t need a man.” Such views acted as a backdrop on Ali’s page to what happened next.

Upon seeing the video in question, by their own admission Ali and Musa reacted angrily and moved publicly to “correct” the girl. They posted an image of her dancing, and separately recorded a rant about why such behavior is totally unacceptable for Muslims. Many other Muslims on their page soon pointed out how this only helped the “offending” video to go viral. Death threats against the petrified teenager soon followed.

Undeterred, the pair got in touch with the family of the 17-year-old girl and decided to record and publish her “repentance,” to ward off the threats. Just before the terrified girl was put on, the pair of medievalists can be heard ruminating on how her dance was “really inappropriate” as Ali continued, “We was really upset to be honest, and I’m sure a lot of you guys was upset as well… a lot of us hate seeing certain things done by practicing-looking individuals.”

Not to be outdone, Musa then added, “It was very, very hard to comprehend what someone could be going through to be doing something like that while wearing the hijab.”

In what can only be described as religious mania, he then mentioned victims of suicide and rape while adding “which we can understand and advise about, but with this [dancing] we were even speechless.”

Probably ready to say anything for all this to just go away, the poor girl explained to the pair of numbskulls that she has suffered from depression since she was 13. Tragically, she then burst into tears.

At this point, Ali callously remarked: “By God, this is the work of Satan, the only reason I’m doing this is because people are going to watch the video and judge you based on that… so don’t cry, God is the most merciful… the fact that you’re crying is a sign of repentance and remorse, so don’t be upset… I’m just going to carry on so don’t worry… You said that you saw some brothers preaching and at that point you came back to your senses, right?

“I’m going to get you in contact with (if you want) some good sisters in Birmingham who can keep your company”—that is, make sure the girl stays penitent—“because this is the work of the devil and music is one of the tools of Satan.”

Just in case his message hadn’t gotten through, Ali ended his video with some final remarks to his young Muslim audience, telling them music is “like you’re on drugs… these filthy people in these songs, they don’t care about you and they’re causing harm, they talk about women like they’re whores…”

Now that they had extracted their “repentance” from her, and publicly aired her confession, the girl’s “sin” was deemed in need of hiding—for shame. In a textbook case of gaslighting, the pair went on to blame others for still sharing news of the girl that they themselves had also initially posted. Their followers were then encouraged to report anyone still posting on the issue as harassment and bullying.

To say that I stand disgusted is an understatement.

No doubt the petrified girl will stand by her apology, and just wants the incident to go away. I understand that. And I fully expect her to maintain her “repentance.” She will probably wish that I had not resurrected this issue by defending her right to dance as she likes, when she likes, and where she likes. But no. Before it all just goes away, we as liberals, as a society, and as her fellow human beings have a duty to at least acknowledge what has just happened: We just missed our first modern religious inquisition, initiated, conducted, and concluded solely through social media.

Our communities, Muslim or otherwise, must awaken to the predators of liberty that live among us. Similar to the now infamous “sharia patrols,” British-Muslim religious-policing must not be tolerated. It is no coincidence that this incident unfolded in the English city of Birmingham. A tenth of all Britain’s jihadist terrorists hail from just five wards in that city.

And for the sake of British Muslim female victims of “honor” killings, we must mark this moment, because the girl’s inquisitors appear utterly unable to comprehend why anyone would be so angered by their actions. They conclude their video inquisition by promising, “It’s gonna happen in the future, another video might come up, obviously we have to go about it the right way, but if it’s going viral, we have to touch upon it.”

So untouchable do they feel as Muslim fundamentalists in modern Britain that they vow to do it again. Welcome to the United Kingdom, 2017.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #1 - April 03, 2017, 01:42 PM

I'm wondering if there are any members, particularly female, who would be interested in sharing some experiences and/or views on the challenges and largely hidden trails faced by girls and women?

There's an online weekly show called the Jinn and Tonic show that I think was founded by CEMB members. It's recently had counter-dawah youtuber Rob (who can often be seen debating muslims at Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park) take over as host, and I'm pretty sure he's only the second host of the show to not be a CEMB member.

Link to his vids here : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpx7TeFcveBzrUB4I1Fc9iQ

The show's also mentioned as an online resource for ex-muslims in the 2015 New York published book "So You're An Atheist: Now what?" by Yuriy Nikshych, which is kind of awesome.

I'll put a link for the J&T's's trailer and a few links of shows. If anyone's interested in discussing women and islam let me know. Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oByswFSKMPo

Last weeks's ep (I was asked to join last week. Bit drunk the whole time):

Is there Inconsistencies in Islam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61vmbs2bUKY

Special guest and CEMB founder Maryam Namazie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6GviwKEMno&index=5&list=PL8O7B9kTXCjeDQ5eboCWYsVYS4Tvb7e07

Bitch-slapping Hamza Tzortzis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6XBxBzq_Zg&index=1&list=PL8O7B9kTXCjeDQ5eboCWYsVYS4Tvb7e07

Cologne attack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXTREAvjC_Q

Anyone interested?

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #2 - April 03, 2017, 02:00 PM

Astaghfirullah, don't you know that Islam liberates women and that they have more rights than anywhere else in the world? *says dua*

But in all seriousness though it's nuts how even in a western European country she'd still be tracked down and forced to make an apology video, and then have to "get in contact with some good sisters". EDIT: I can only imagine what would've happened to her if this was in a typical Muslim majority country.

"Their followers were then encouraged to report anyone still posting on the issue as harassment and bullying."
     wacko

Then you have the wine that doesn't make you drunk. Seriously, who's idea was that? It's called Juicy Juice where I come from, mofo, you ain't fooling me.

Reply #3 - April 03, 2017, 02:03 PM

This is why it's important to get voices out there. I hope some people are interested in calling into the J&T and sharing their experiences.

Reply #4 - April 04, 2017, 12:11 AM

I put a comment on the Ali Dawah video because I was so disgusted by the fact that she was effectively forced to apologise to other MUSLIMS for what she did. They tried to cover it up as her repenting to God, but isn't that supposed to happen in private? This girl was shamed and it was so wrong. Muslim boys do wrong all the time and are NEVER forced to answer for it. She was dancing anyway, who cares?

This reminds me of when I first left home and my dad left messages saying I needed to repent, over and over. What he really meant was repent to him, not God. People are the judges here, not God, whether you believe or not.
     Reply #5 - April 04, 2017, 09:14 AM

I seriously hope that girl goes to the police and he's charged with harassment, stalking and religious discrimination.

Reply #6 - April 04, 2017, 09:42 AM

Unfortunately I don't think she will. They have shamed her, so now she feels bad for what she did, instead of them feeling bad for drawing attention to it. I saw the video, I saw a girl having fun, deciding to join in with dancing. Things like that happen a lot in Birmingham city centre, why should it be any different if a girl in hijab wants to have a go? I wish I could talk to her and say you didn't have to talk to Ali Dawah, you didn't have to apologise.
     Reply #7 - April 04, 2017, 04:04 PM

When I heard about this I felt so sick. These people are so oblivious to how sinister they come across whilst trying to appear as  ordinary 'concerned Muslim brothers'.
     Reply #8 - April 05, 2017, 07:10 AM

that is extremely sad
    i can only imagin what happened to her the violence , the shame , the pressure
    if she is not strong girl i bet that she belive now that she is a bad girl and she can only recover her and her family repetition by being extremely devoted .
    if she didnt  hear the voices that say it isnt that big of a deal , i wont be surprised to see her in few years as adawa girl defending islam

You are educated when you have the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or self-confidence.
     Robert Frost

?Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.?

― Andr? Gide
     Reply #9 - April 10, 2017, 12:53 AM

Two viewpoints on this.

It is a good thing as it shows how messed up many hijabis are and may dissuade some from.putting it on. The arab hijab is an ugly, ugly thing and walking around wearing one is basically saying "I look like a fool but I juat dont give a shit what non-muslims think." When you dress like that it is basically a big fuxk you to society.

Secondly, I am not sure why people here are supporting the girl. I mean this is something that deeply unsettled me when i saw it yet people are supporting her. Of course its not ok to do that in public. Wtf. She looks like a slut. Ofcourse she will be shamed and ostracised. Twerking, wtf is that?

These girls need to know how to behave and dress in public. Women like that need a firm hand because i dont wana see that shit.

These people are serously mentally fucked up when they wear a hijab and then twerk in front of crowds. She is lucky she apologised that might have saved her life.

Our women/people need to be loyal to our culture and values and cannot go round promoting some black hood sex culture.

Reply #10 - April 10, 2017, 01:51 AM

The girl was 17 and dependent on her family; the hijab may or may not have been her decision. to accuse her of wearing a hijab is a horrible thing to do.

While it can be unpleasant or annoying, there is nothing immoral about ‘being a slut’ or ‘being slutty’; She stood in nobody’s way. and while respecting the culture or value she was born into or that of anybody else’s is necessary, she is not obliged to accept or act on them.

Religion is not only about the existence of God; there are plenty of religions that don’t evolve around it. Religion is a set of rules and values used to organize a society by shaming, punishing and out casting people.
     Reply #11 - April 10, 2017, 01:59 PM

Silly shit.

penguins

Reply #12 - April 10, 2017, 06:57 PM

Two viewpoints on this....

So basically you're like "keep the sexism, misogyny and honor culture...but for goodness sake remove the hijab!"  parrot

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #13 - April 10, 2017, 11:11 PM

I dont really know what to think. That girl shows a very incoherent picture which is some sort of weird mish-mash of non-compatible identities. Someone could probably write an essay on that. It is a video telling an accurate picture of modern muslims. All talk and hijabs, no action. The status of Muslims and of Islam is surely going down. They are now mostly represented by the young ghetto youth, who have little status in society.

It is our jobs as Ex-Muslims to rescue the community from a dire fate that awaits them on this path.
     Reply #14 - April 10, 2017, 11:28 PM

Second post makes almost as little sense as the first.

Reply #15 - April 11, 2017, 03:32 AM

Secondly, I am not sure why people here are supporting the girl. I mean this is something that deeply unsettled me when i saw it yet people are supporting her. Of course its not ok to do that in public. Wtf. She looks like a slut. Ofcourse she will be shamed and ostracised. Twerking, wtf is that?

These girls need to know how to behave and dress in public. Women like that need a firm hand because i dont wana see that shit.

These people are serously mentally fucked up when they wear a hijab and then twerk in front of crowds. She is lucky she apologised that might have saved her life.

Our women/people need to be loyal to our culture and values and cannot go round promoting some black hood sex culture.

She is lucky because she didn't get killed for twerking??? Guess she only saved her life by publicly apologizing and humiliating herself??

I can see why women are flocking to be loyal to such an amazing culture  Afro  Roll Eyes
     Reply #16 - April 11, 2017, 08:57 AM

mish-mash of incompatible identities? I guess you are one of those one-dimensional characters who have very little understanding of yourself, and of human being in general. No person is ever just one thing, and we as humans are in a constant struggle to reconcile our different sides and identities. That is what an identity is.

This is why I've always argued that a basic course in sociology should be mandatory not only in higher education, but in elementary school as well. Sheesh.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #17 - April 11, 2017, 02:57 PM

pretty sure atheistani is related to cartman

Hey get yo bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some PIE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFrPHm7IetA
     Reply #18 - April 11, 2017, 09:42 PM

mish-mash of incompatible identities? I guess you are one of those one-dimensional characters who have very little understanding of yourself, and of human being in general. No person is ever just one thing, and we as humans are in a constant struggle to reconcile our different sides and identities. That is what an identity is.

Look, it's really simple. When I see girl walking around with a Hijab and tight pants with "Juicy" written on the ass then I make the assertion this person likely has psychological issues. Similarly for the Hijabi twerking. It's one thing to be a hypocrite Hijabi who sluts it out on the down-low but a completely different thing to be one who twerks it out in public, or walks around stating how juicy her ass is.

In this case the person is sending two contradictory, public statements about what she stands for. Maybe you think it's ok, perhaps you are not capable of seeing the incongruence, but myself and people I know simply label these person as lunatics and wish to have no contact with them. I am saying if I saw such a person in trouble I wouldnt think it worth my time to help them. 

It's a bit like multiple personality disorder.

This is why I've always argued that a basic course in sociology should be mandatory not only in higher education, but in elementary school as well. Sheesh.

Lols.  Basically you are arguing everyones children should be indoctrinated to your level of craziness. Such an arrogant position to take. I suppose you want those kids shown that video so you can tell them this is what an inclusive, multicultural society looks like.

Sociology is not even a thing.
     Reply #19 - April 12, 2017, 12:50 AM

Two viewpoints on this.

It is a good thing as it shows how messed up many hijabis are and may dissuade some from.putting it on. The arab hijab is an ugly, ugly thing and walking around wearing one is basically saying "I look like a fool but I juat dont give a shit what non-muslims think." When you dress like that it is basically a big fuxk you to society.

Sex brought you into this world. The way you deal with sex is not the way the rest of the world deals with it. It is commonplace in some cultures to ask people if they had sex and how it was and etc when you see them in the morning. It is an acceptable and friendly topic of conversation in many places, and not just between couples. Just because you find sex and sexuality to be uncomfortable does not mean that your way of viewing it is the correct way. Your parents hopefully had consensual and lustful sex in order to bring you into this world.
    Sex is not about black or white or any color. We all have to do it to have children, regardless of color.
    You can be ashamed of it, but that is your own particular take on it. Don't force your bad habits and one dimensional thinking on anyone else. YOU be loyal to your values of shame and YOU own your issues. You do NOT get to insist other people do the same.
    She was dancing, in a way that is currently popular. Elvis used to be illegal, you know, for moving his hips, times change. She was DANCING. A physical motion in time with music that celebrates life like nothing else does.
    I assure you that when you enter a sexual relationship with someone, your sexual relations will be complicated by shame rather than enriched by it. Well, except for fetishism. There it might shine.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #20 - April 12, 2017, 01:02 AM

I dont really know what to think. That girl shows a very incoherent picture which is some sort of weird mish-mash of non-compatible identities. Someone could probably write an essay on that. It is a video telling an accurate picture of modern muslims. All talk and hijabs, no action. The status of Muslims and of Islam is surely going down. They are now mostly represented by the young ghetto youth, who have little status in society.

It is our jobs as Ex-Muslims to rescue the community from a dire fate that awaits them on this path.

Yeah, because believers don't dance or have fun. Did you live in purdah longer than I?

Reply #21 - April 12, 2017, 01:07 AM

Look, it's really simple. When I see girl walking around with a Hijab and tight pants with "Juicy" written on the ass then I make the assertion this person likely has psychological issues. Similarly for the Hijabi twerking. It's one thing to be a hypocrite Hijabi who sluts it out on the down-low but a completely different thing to be one who twerks it out in public, or walks around stating how juicy her ass is.

In this case the person is sending two contradictory, public statements about what she stands for. Maybe you think it's ok, perhaps you are not capable of seeing the incongruence, but myself and people I know simply label these person as lunatics and wish to have no contact with them. I am saying if I saw such a person in trouble I wouldnt think it worth my time to help them. 

It's a bit like multiple personality disorder.

Lols.  Basically you are arguing everyones children should be indoctrinated to your level of craziness. Such an arrogant position to take. I suppose you want those kids shown that video so you can tell them this is what an inclusive, multicultural society looks like.

The real problem here is that you are trying to squeeze other people into little, tiny boxes. They don't fit in them. You might be stuck in there but you can't go around insisting everyone get in one. I would hope people have more than one facet to their personalities. Thank all the gods for that, thank all the gods for interesting people who think outside the boxes that other people make for them.
    I would certainly hope that children are accepting of all people and able to have spontaneous fun. There is nothing to a childhood if there is not time for dancing, and childhood is ruined by bigotry.
    Think bigger, my friend. Think well.
    If you cannot do good or speak good, think good.

Reply #22 - April 12, 2017, 01:10 AM

Second post makes almost as little sense as the first.

And that's three in a row. I believe some call it a hat trick.

Reply #23 - April 12, 2017, 01:29 AM

Twerking does not equal sex. I was referring to the crude sexualization it is about.

Liberal 'values', because they cant create, can only destroy order. Liberalism is about shock valje and breaking rules that allows them to get respect, fane ans recognition with little work or achievement.

Sexual Revolution, Swearing in Music, Modern Art, Blank verse poetry, Twerking etc all of these things were pushed by the media onto young people who thought they were being cool and rebellious by breaking free of stuffy rule based traditional culture.

As you memtioned people thought Elvis was bad for shaking his hips. Now rappers have videos with naked women and then there is twerking and there was that song Blurred Lines.

When you have no talent and nothing to offer the only way to get fame is to break the rules. Then people think your cool.and edgy. But there are only so.many rules and in the end it is just a dace to the bottom (twerking).

You liberals have nothing of value to offer so really should just let the strong wise men tell you what to do/think because you are not really cut out for this type of thing
     Reply #24 - April 12, 2017, 01:44 AM

Yeah, because dictatorship is the best way to go.  Everyone enjoys being told what to do- I am sure you do, right?
    Twerking as sexualization? So is giving flowers to a person as a romantic gesture. Why do we perceive roses as the highest compliment in romance, when it wasn't always this way? Tulips were too sexy, too risque. We are often motivated by sexuality, this is nothing new. But maybe you are reading sex into something not sexual. Ever think that?
    We have lost out on tulips, for eons now. Shame did that to us, conservatism more than fashion.
    If you don't like it, don't watch it. If you don't like it, don't do it.
    But passing judgement and being a little tyrant is not acceptable. Do it to yourself. Don't subject anyone else to it. Stick to your high and mighty and let the rest of us discover life anew each day.
    Order and rules and perfection never birthed much. Many great inventions were the result of an accident... a bit of chaos. Haven't you seen Flubber?

Reply #25 - April 12, 2017, 03:46 AM

You're really embarrassing yourself.

Reply #26 - April 12, 2017, 06:58 AM

Look, it's really simple...

In this case the person is sending two contradictory, public statements about what she stands for... I am saying if I saw such a person in trouble I wouldnt think it worth my time to help them. 

Most of your post make no sense with very little substantial arguments, if any. Your assumptions hold no value whatsoever. They are your biased opinions and are founded on no facts at all. And as for your "sociology isn't even a thing", I'm not sure what you mean. I will assume you simply don't know what sociology as a science is, and that is of course your problem.  I also find it very interesting how little you value life, and the lives of others who don't agree with you. I think you have more in common with jihadis than with anyone on this forum.

People who express values and opinions that at first might seem to contradict is something all of us do. You included. For example, someone might think that animals should be treated well and not be abused, but they still consume meat and other animal products despite the fact the modern and industrialized meat production is worse than a horror movie. I suppose you think them to be mentally ill  Afro

Reply #27 - April 12, 2017, 02:57 PM

SMITE 2: gross sexism.

As you were previously warned, this results in a ban. Which is a shame, as this thread has been quite entertaining in the last couple of days. That is to say, at your expense.
     Reply #28 - April 12, 2017, 02:58 PM

penguins

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
    best answer ever

You are educated when you have the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or self-confidence.
     Robert Frost

?Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.?

― Andr? Gide
     Reply #29 - April 13, 2017, 04:05 AM

Well, I am the King. Wink

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »