Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What were the fads when you were growing up?

(Read 2576 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What were the fads when you were growing up?
     OP - February 20, 2017, 11:18 PM

I've been reminiscing about my school days lately and one thing I look back on with a certain feeling of embarrassment is the Pokémon fad. At break times we all fought over our cards. I think I lost a few friends over bad deals. Good times lol. I guess the Pokémon has resurfaced of late with the Pokémon Go craze (couldn't participate in it as I have a crappy Windows phone).

Oh and there was a period where yo-yos were a thing.
     Reply #1 - February 21, 2017, 01:54 AM

Pokemon ain't no fad foo'.  finmad

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #2 - February 21, 2017, 06:08 AM

The card collecting thing was a fad I think. The games have remained.
     Reply #3 - February 21, 2017, 10:00 AM

When I was a kid we played with marbles, that's the only thing we did during recess for some time. Then came the POGs, or as we called them (for some reason) "caps".  MY favorite ones were the Mortal Kombat. There was also a time period when the boys collected football- and hockeycards while the girls kept to bookmarks. I'm not sure if you call it bookmarks in the US or whatever English-speaking country you're from, but this is what I mean:

Big ones, especially the Angels, were worth a lot.

Then I spent the remaining years of my childhood, before being hit hard my puberty and the horrible teenage years, playing Super Nintendo and watching Disney movies.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #4 - February 21, 2017, 05:15 PM

Oh and there was a period where yo-yos were a thing.

Yoyos are still a thing Wink It's a hobbiest thing, there are people who can do amazing tricks with them all over youtube. There's different types of yoyos too if you really get into it. It's something I'd love to try at some point.
     Reply #5 - February 21, 2017, 09:21 PM

When I was a kid we played with marbles, that's the only thing we did during recess for some time. Then came the POGs, or as we called them (for some reason) "caps".  MY favorite ones were the Mortal Kombat. There was also a time period when the boys collected football- and hockeycards while the girls kept to bookmarks. I'm not sure if you call it bookmarks in the US or whatever English-speaking country you're from, but this is what I mean:

(Clicky for piccy!)

Big ones, especially the Angels, were worth a lot.

Then I spent the remaining years of my childhood, before being hit hard my puberty and the horrible teenage years, playing Super Nintendo and watching Disney movies.

Bookmarks means a slightly different thing here, a bookmark being a marker reminding your place when reading a book. Never come across the bokmarken variety here in the UK. But yeah, football cards are very popular. Still are I think.
     Reply #6 - February 21, 2017, 09:22 PM

Yoyos are still a thing Wink It's a hobbiest thing, there are people who can do amazing tricks with them all over youtube. There's different types of yoyos too if you really get into it. It's something I'd love to try at some point.

Yeah, some people can make a skill out of it. Me, there were far too many instances where I managed to smack them in my face lol.
     Reply #7 - February 22, 2017, 11:24 PM

I know what a bookmark is Tongue , it's just that here we say ("real") bookmarks and the "bookmarks" I was mentioning with the same word. Not sure what they would be called in the US, UK or any other English speaking country though.  Huh?

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #8 - February 24, 2017, 10:16 PM

Mods and Rockers.  grin12

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #9 - February 24, 2017, 10:37 PM

heroin and jesus, sometimes simultaneously
     Reply #10 - February 25, 2017, 12:12 PM

Gel pens. Speaking of gel pens, I recently got a package from my notorious re-gifting aunt that contained gel pens. Not just any gel pens. MY gel pens. The same gel pens I left behind when my parents kicked me out over ten years ago. I guess my parents are giving away my stuff? idk whatever. I'm just tickled that I got them back after a decade.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #11 - February 27, 2017, 04:52 PM

Tamagotchi. I never had the 'real' one made by Bandai, but ended up a few cool imitations that were maybe more fun? I had a dinosaur, my brother had a gorilla, and I remember having a Japanese girl tamagotchi lol. I loved that one.

Also pogs, pokemon cards, yoyos, that was all around in my primary school days. I wasn't good at yoyo, but I just liked spinning it. I preferred Digimon over Pokemon, wasn't bothered about the cards, I liked the cartoon.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »