Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Why I am leaving these forums

(Read 8565 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Why I am leaving these forums
     OP - February 12, 2017, 01:21 PM

PS: please don't change the title of this post again. It should be "Why I am leaving these forums"

PPS: I also note this post has been moved from The Lounge to "Questions / Problems / Suggestions" - I didn't have a question/problem/suggestion, was it moved to hide it by any chance?

I'm not happy to stay on a forum where a moderator is willing to change a discussion topic's title in order to mock one of the participants, and certainly not when the other mods reach an agreement that it should remain as it is.

The discussion was about whether or not Muhammad Ali was a racist, the title change (after a number of days of discussing the actual subject I might add) changed the context to "hey everyone, look at this guy". I feel that is inappropriate, and so I won't be participating in these forums any further.

Whether you agree or disagree with my views is a different matter. It shouldn't be done to anyone.

Original thread - http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30722.0

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
  • So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu
     Reply #1 - February 12, 2017, 03:47 PM

It's too bad you feel you have to go Rationalizer. I disagreed the hell out of your views in that thread, and I know that things were very heated, but I don't believe it should have gotten so bad as to part with the community.

All the best.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #2 - February 12, 2017, 03:52 PM

For me it's nothing to do worth the heated discussion but the abuse of power by ibn bilal in changing the topic title to match his opinion of me instead of the actual subject. My main reason is that he wrote to me to tell me the other mods have agreed to let it stand. To me that's not impartial and it's certainly not acceptable.

Reply #3 - February 12, 2017, 04:27 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CU5UPi7STk
     Reply #4 - February 12, 2017, 05:37 PM

For me it's nothing to do worth the heated discussion but the abuse of power by ibn bilal in changing the topic title to match his opinion of me instead of the actual subject.

Oh no, your whitesplaining of the experience of racism of an African American civil rights icon was exactly the subject of that thread.

I get that you still don’t understand what that is, much less what is wrong with it.

In any event, best of luck in your future endeavors. 

far away hug
     Reply #5 - February 12, 2017, 07:07 PM

I'm not happy to stay on a forum where a moderator is willing to change a discussion topic's title in order to mock one of the participants, and certainly not when the other mods reach an agreement that it should remain as it is.

The discussion was about whether or not Muhammad Ali was a racist, the title change (after a number of days of discussing the actual subject I might add) changed the context to "hey everyone, look at this guy". I feel that is inappropriate, and so I won't be participating in these forums any further.

Whether you agree or disagree with my views is a different matter. It shouldn't be done to anyone.

PS: please don't change the title of this you again either. It should be "Why I am leaving these forums"

I don't understand why you're so invested in whether Muhammad Ali was a racist and wanting to discredit him. It reminds me of white nationalists' interest in whether MLK was a womanizer or adulterer.

While I don't agree with censorship, you have to understand the current social and political climate that we're in. We already often encounter people promoting white nativist and anti-social justice narratives on social media. So understandably people are likely to get triggered when they think they see that kind of stuff on our forum, as evidenced by the replies to anti-immigrant and anti-Black Lives Matter posts.

In the thread you compared people defending Muhammad Ali to people defending the prophet Muhammad. There is a difference. No one around the world cites the words or actions of Muhammad Ali as justification for a racism, and no one believes that he was infallible.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #6 - February 12, 2017, 07:47 PM

Oh no, your whitesplaining of the experience of racism of an African American civil rights icon was exactly the subject of that thread.

I get that you still don’t understand what that is, much less what is wrong with it.

In any event, best of luck in your future endeavors. 

far away hug

If that were true then that would have been the assigned title for the topic from the moment it was split, whereas you changed it a number of days later. You made the thread about me rather than my opinions. If it's triggering then put a trigger warning in the title, don't change it to mock a participant, that's just not the right thing to do.

Reply #7 - February 12, 2017, 07:50 PM

I don't understand why you're so invested in whether Muhammad Ali was a racist and wanting to discredit him. It reminds me of white nationalists' interest in whether MLK was a womanizer or adulterer.

I'm not invested at all, I spent more time trying to prove he wasn't.

While I don't agree with censorship, you have to understand the current social and political climate that we're in.

Do you agree that mods should moderate in an impartial way, even if arguing against me in the thread?

Reply #8 - February 12, 2017, 08:34 PM

Do you agree that mods should moderate in an impartial way, even if arguing against me in the thread?

Yes. It wasn't appropriate to change the title of your thread.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #9 - February 12, 2017, 09:31 PM

PPS: I also note this post has been moved from The Lounge to "Questions / Problems / Suggestions" - I didn't have a question/problem/suggestion, was it moved to hide it by any chance?[/b][/i]

Feedback is feedback, and it's still visible to non logged-in users, so it's hardly hidden.

Leave us, or don't, but either way, make good on one or the other.
     Reply #10 - February 12, 2017, 09:53 PM

We already often encounter people promoting white nativist and anti-social justice narratives on social media. So understandably people are likely to get triggered when they think they see that kind of stuff on our forum, as evidenced by the replies to anti-immigrant and anti-Black Lives Matter posts.

Trigger, I had to look that up lol

Reply #11 - February 13, 2017, 12:28 AM

Lol Bye

Im sure the Ex-muslim reddit and FFI would welcome your inputs and contribution there. Afro

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #12 - February 13, 2017, 07:05 PM

Im sure the Ex-muslim reddit and FFI would welcome your inputs and contribution there.

Imtiaz said he and some other mods are starting to clean out all the problematic posters on there.

I rarely frequent that sub reddit so I'm not sure but I hear its gotten better.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #13 - February 21, 2017, 11:19 PM

PS: please don't change the title of this post again. It should be "Why I am leaving these forums"

PPS: I also note this post has been moved from The Lounge to "Questions / Problems / Suggestions" - I didn't have a question/problem/suggestion, was it moved to hide it by any chance?

Dude, you obviously have a problem.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »