Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What do you think of "Black Live Matters"?

(Read 3929 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What do you think of "Black Live Matters"?
     OP - October 18, 2016, 08:59 PM

I know that this might be not our business, but I really curious what you guys think of the Black Live Matters movement? Especially from members living in the US.

From my side: I can understand the outrage since really many of the cases the police has murdered an afro-american and got away with it with no legal charges against him. On the other side there are cases, when a police officer needed to shoot the protect himself. Still this lead to an outrage.

Interesting for me was also the debate on Colin Kaepernick who sit the national anthem during a NFL game. I have to admit that I first heard about it in the new South Park episodes  Cheesy It's difficult to follow South Park nowadays, if you are not following US news.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000691077/article/colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-sat-during-national-anthem

Many Americans burned Kaepernick shirts after his protest. But also many protected and supported him. I think that it takes great courage to do something like this.

What do you guys think about this topic?
     Reply #1 - October 19, 2016, 01:56 AM

I think he ought to be able to do as he likes, and I support him not only in his right to protest, but also in his method. Non-violent protest is beautiful, and being a public figure and using that position to raise awareness and demand change is admirable. For the first time people are discussing the origins of the national anthem in the public sphere- and other things, and about time. I do not approve of rioting or inciting violence, but I am fully in support of vocalizing that black lives matter in all ways. If our communities can respond appropriately to the demands of one marginalized group, then I have hope for the rest. There is another thread on here about this, if you look it up. A fair number of us in the States have commented in that thread already.
    I had a conversation today with a white man that right now he is horrified by how many bigoted and nasty people have come out of the woodwork to voice their hate. Reactions to BLM and this election have been real eye openers, people I never would have suspected of such things have been revealed. 
    I have noticed that those in my community who openly scorn the movement are uneducated and untraveled. Also Republicans- even if to their own detriment. Not to speak badly of anyone, but it is what it is.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #2 - October 19, 2016, 11:15 AM

I'll chime in here, knowing I don't really have the time to dedicate to a worthy response.

One thing that I think many people fail to understand - including many non-black Americans - is that BLM did NOT begin because of recent police shootings.

We were ENSLAVED in this country for hundreds of years and literally considered to be subhuman. Our men were beaten, denied an education, and bred like cattle in order to produce the strongest offspring possible. Our women were repeatedly raped, abused, and forced to labor in houses and fields across the south for generations, and made to believe that servitude and being raped was life’s only purpose. Think the atrocities of ISIS on a systemic basis. This is not an exaggeration. (I myself am three quarters African and a quarter European. How do you think that happened?)

Many people go on to say, "Oh, that was a thing of history. It was a long time ago. Move on." What many don't seem to realize is that even when the humans who were forced into slavery were freed, they were not given civil rights, they were not empowered, they were not considered equals by their former masters. Instead, they were marginalized, dehumanized, and often persecuted in a systemic way by their former masters who resented the fact that the war was lost.

The best analogy I can think of right now is if all the abused migrant works in the Gulf States were suddenly told, “OK, you’re free. But you still don’t have any money, rights, or claims to citizenship. You still don’t speak our language like we do and we’re still never going to consider you as one of us. If you want to eat and survive, you have to go back to doing the same work you were doing before, under marginally better conditions. But sure, you’re free. Go be free.”

This went on for more than a hundred years, well into a time that our parents could very easily tell us about. It’s not just a matter of history. Our families, our parents and grandparents, were born and raised only miles away from the plantations our ancestors were forced to work. It is a very real and present reality that is quite separate from the American experience you guys might have seen on TV.

The Civil Rights movement did not come about because the South realized the error in its ways and decided to empower black people. It came about because strong-willed human beings (of both races) said "enough is enough" and began fighting the status quo. This battle was fought on multiple fronts, from the church to the courts to the streets. You’d better believe there was and still is resistance to this.

This came in the form of deliberate sabotage of any efforts that were made by blacks to gain real empowerment and self-sufficiency. These are not just words I am typing. There are real examples of this, including examples from the very city I grew up in myself. There are live examples today of places like Alabama where there are no black appellate judges and there is a deliberate effort to keep things that way. White supremacy is not just a phrase or a hashtag.

Just as our parents were able to tell us how bad things were back then, other parents are telling their kids how “great” things were back then, and now we hear those chants of “Make America Great Again.”

So, back to the issue of police shootings – this is not just some new phenomenon. We have known for generations that white men can kill black men with very good chances of not being held to account. Our history is full of examples of this. From Emmett Till to Travon Martin, believe me we know what the deal is. The message is loud and clear. And it doesn’t end at shooting. More of our men are imprisoned today than were enslaved generations ago, and that’s not because we’re somehow genetically more prone to violence or criminal behavior.

So, if you don’t understand what black people have been through in this country, that is completely comprehensible. You were never really meant to. Our stories were never really told in a way that only we could tell them. But what you are seeing right now is a generation looking to hold our society to account for the ideals and values we claim to represent. People are less afraid today. The systemic intimidation is not working the way it used to. Social media is spreading the word in a way that was never possible before. People are demanding real and actual change. It’s not new and it’s not over.
     Reply #3 - October 19, 2016, 11:24 AM

I'll chime in here, knowing I don't really have the time to dedicate to a worthy response.

sorry to say this to you  ibn Bilal   but that is horrible thing to say.,   don't say.,   you don't have time.,   you don't have time??  DON'T HAVE TIME??   Then  "MAKE TIME".. TEACH HISTORY "  ..it is extremely important

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - October 19, 2016, 06:45 PM

Picking up on some points ibn Bilal mentioned, Obama pretty much nailed it when he said people think racism isn't a problem any more because it's no longer socially acceptable to call someone a nigger.

I'll never be worried a cop will gun me down because I'm committing the threatening behaviour of walking while white. I'll never watch TV shows and films and only ever see people who look like me cast as two dimensional sidekicks, comic relief or cannon fodder instead of a real three dimensional human being. I'll never overhear someone I assumed wasn't judging while I was in a store buying something saying to someone from out of town "Dude, you don't wanna walk through this neighbourhood, it's a white area." (white=dangerous)

There are a million more examples that tell you every day from birth if you're black you're worth less as a human being I wouldn't even be aware of if it weren't for the fact some of the people closest to me over the years have been black, and the fact I have black family members. These tiny little things effect white people as well. That's part of why white cops shoots blacks, why the white justice system treats them so much harsher. Because we're told in ways we don't even realise every day from birth that if you're black you're worth less as a human being.

If you're not black chances are you'll never really get it unless black people are part of your life. If your husband/wife, brother/sister, son/daughter etc are black and/or mixed race you'll see these things more easily.

I was watching this white bloke on youtube complaining about BLM. I would put my hand in my own pocket to pay for him to go to a special effects studio, get the best prosthetics to give him African features, makeup artists to get the skin colour right, and send him on his way for just 24 hours as a black man. I'd be very interested to hear what he had to say afterwards.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #5 - October 19, 2016, 08:48 PM

America has a history of discrimination of the many and privileges of few thus many of it's systems are built upon this influence. For example the electoral system included privileges in which the Slave-states received a greater amount of votes per population. The reasons for this were 1. Lower population in general compared to the North. 2. Less than 1/3 of that population were White males that had the legal right to vote. (slaves were the majority by today's standards) 3. States were to be "seen" as equal as a fantasy for the sake of the state/government not the people. Thus this was not only a compromise but acceptance of bigotry as valid and sound basis for policy. The justice and law enforcement uses statistics which became stereotypes for many. Due to the crime levels of various areas the population become linked with statistic in general. This created a system of responses for specific areas as policy which result in the events we see regarding the police now, and in the past if you open the archives.

Far to many think because American makes claims regarding reform, freedom, equality and justice that this is a fact on the ground. It isn't. However since they believe this illusion is true pointing out the flaws of America is unpatriotic or worse as treason for attacking the government. Taking a stance on the public stage, as with the NFL, intrudes into people comfort zone thus is seen as overbearing. However this merely shatters the illusion that one's private life can be isolated in era of technology. By using an external source of media (tv/papers/net) everyone has agreed that their private life can be reduced to a statistic (or set) which is open to the influence owners, partners, and/or participants of these sources whenever these wish.  At times people need a reality slap that can reach into their comfort zone to shake their apathy and/or complacency. Such acts are to motivate the average person into action, or at least develop an awareness.

My issue is how these organizations and normal people handle such acts by taking actions against those that "go of script" rather than realizing there are still major issues in American society.
     Reply #6 - October 21, 2016, 03:07 AM

The Civil Rights movement did not come about because the South realized the error in its ways and decided to empower black people. It came about because strong-willed human beings (of both races) said "enough is enough" and began fighting the status quo. This battle was fought on multiple fronts, from the church to the courts to the streets. You’d better believe there was and still is resistance to this.

This came in the form of deliberate sabotage of any efforts that were made by blacks to gain real empowerment and self-sufficiency. These are not just words I am typing. There are real examples of this, including examples from the very city I grew up in myself. There are live examples today of places like Alabama where there are no black appellate judges and there is a deliberate effort to keep things that way. White supremacy is not just a phrase or a hashtag.

Just as our parents were able to tell us how bad things were back then, other parents are telling their kids how “great” things were back then, and now we hear those chants of “Make America Great Again.”

Speaking of which, Republicans are trying to win battleground states by covertly taking away the vote of blacks under the pretense of 'rigging' or 'voter fraud':
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2pUmcvOB0M

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #7 - October 22, 2016, 02:01 PM

Thank for your opinions.
     Reply #8 - October 22, 2016, 03:49 PM

As I'd mentioned Emmett Till above.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/22/us/mississippi-emmett-till-sign-bullets/index.html
     Reply #9 - October 22, 2016, 04:28 PM

I didn't know about Emmett Till. It's incredibly sad and horrible.

Here is a video for those of you who never heard of it as well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqUISIKanHk
     Reply #10 - October 22, 2016, 05:00 PM

Has anyone here watched 13th?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V66F3WU2CKk

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »