Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: I'll be writing a review from an Ex-Muslim perspective on ITV's "Exposure: Islam

(Read 1924 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I'll be writing a review from an Ex-Muslim perspective on ITV's "Exposure: Islam
     OP - October 14, 2016, 04:15 PM

It will be published online for a website of which I won't disclose at the moment.

For the people that have watched it, any points you think I should bring up would be helpful, of course I can't include everything as I want it to be easily readable i.e. not a tl;dr, but I will try to include as many opinions as possible.

I also would appreciate any sources for apostates being killed and also Muslims reaction to the programme. I don't have facebook so the latter would be especially helpful.

I won't be posting any scriptual references as that is not the angle I'm going for here; it's a review of the programme ultimately.

Anything I've missed please feel free to contribute on here.

You can watch the doc here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hY4eh3xHOY&feature=youtu.be
  • I'll be writing a review from an Ex-Muslim perspective on ITV's "Exposure: Islam
     Reply #1 - October 14, 2016, 04:39 PM

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/personalislam/2016/10/commentary-on-itvs-documentary-islams-non-believers/
     Reply #2 - October 15, 2016, 03:03 AM

You know, with that patheos...

I don't see a problem with highlighting the worst issues apostates face. We report the worst of worst police brutality, murders, and rape cases a lot, although we know most humans don't want to do that.

There should probably be a separate documentary for progressive/liberal muslims because progressive muslims are not taken seriously in most muslim countries. They need to have their voices heard, and if possible these documentaries should be translated in many languages and aired in most muslim countries using their local languages.

Although I can't imagine the backlash... Most influential imams don't support Quranism/bending Islam to meet western standards....
     Reply #3 - October 15, 2016, 09:58 PM

I forgot to mention that this is my comment in the Patheos article

I'm an ex-Muslim and I have to agree with Farouk A. Peru on it being a negative by not having Liberal and Progressive Muslim voices in the documentary. By having Progressive Muslim voices in the documentary would of gave the viewers the chance to actually understand that the very hurdles that Ex Muslims in the UK are going through are part of an ongoing struggle that Muslims have when trying to culturally reform there own communities. Just like with any Civil Rights Movement, progress is not going to be achieved without the assistance of people within the institutions who represent the communities they are trying to change. Having Progressive Muslim voices in the documentary would of gave confidence to Muslims watching to actually challenge the views which Tribalist Muslims within their community spout, especially if they are given a platform to show the uncertainties around apostasy laws within Islamic theology.

I think the documentary was right to include Maryam Namazie and it did a good job in humanizing her by showing what her work as part of CEMB is really about. I understand why the author might have an issue with Maryam, it might of been wise to include other ex Muslim public figures like Imtiaz Shams, from Faith to Faithless, who isn't controversial and is a lot more relatable figure that Maryam since her experiences are more relatable to an ex Muslim living out of the UK than within.

Overall, the documentary did a good job in bringing more attention to the issues Ex Muslim have to deal with and Deeyah Khan should be applauded for making another amazing documentary.

How's the review coming along, Hsnake?
     Reply #4 - October 16, 2016, 09:58 AM

I forgot to mention that this is my comment in the Patheos article

How's the review coming along, Hsnake?

Well I've finished the first draft, but knowing the editorial BS it will probably be sent back to me a few times before it can be published. I've refrained from making a pro-Ex rant and for this I will probably receive backlash from both sides. But my aim is to not be confrontational and instead infer the problem. Because truth stands clear from falsehood.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »