Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Why do some ex-Muslims call Ayan Hirsi a liar?

(Read 16606 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Why do some ex-Muslims call Ayan Hirsi a liar?
     Reply #30 - October 14, 2016, 09:12 AM

HA, HA, so truth. The hypocrisy of many from the left has no limits really. Hirsi Ali's fault is that she is a neocon (more likely branded as one), no more no less. Of course, this attitude is not common only to the left, right wingers does the same with so many leftists.

I love Hirsi Ali, I love Maryam Namzie, I love Irshad Manji and all the women who have came out publically against this fascist ideology, no matter what they are, communists, liberals, neocons. I love their courage(which I don't think I would have), they are an inspiration for so many people.

We have given several, legitimate reasons why we do not like her, which her fans will not bother with. Instead they push their fingers into their ears and shout "BLA BLA BLA you only dislike her because she's a neocon!" Got to love objectivity.  Roll Eyes

Sure there will be people who dislike her primarily for that reason but there are plenty of other good reasons to dislike her. What is the point of expressing support for ex-Muslims while shutting down our legitimate concerns when they don't coincidence with your views?

It is Islam who does this and Sunni Islam in particular. It is Muslims actions in the name of Islam who degrade them. If you think that without the likes of Hirsi Ali would be anything different, you are just deluding yourself.

A complete non sequitur. What exactly has the behaviour of certain Muslims got to do with Ayaan's dehumanisation of Muslims as a whole? Is she responsible for her own bigotry or is she to be held to lower standards than everyone else as to what constitutes a decent human being because she had a rough past?
     Reply #31 - October 14, 2016, 10:13 AM

She said that Islam needs to be crushed in all forms, including militarily.
    http://reason.com/archives/2007/10/10/the-trouble-is-the-west/singlepage

Tell me please: how do you crush a religion militarily without advocating violence towards its adherents?

First of all interesting title: 'The Trouble Is the West'

It is a long interview so let's quote the relevant texts only:
    Quote from: Ayan Hirsi Ali
    Reason: Should we acknowledge that organized religion has sometimes sparked precisely the kinds of emancipation movements that could lift Islam into modern times? Slavery in the United States ended in part because of opposition by prominent church members and the communities they galvanized. The Polish Catholic Church helped defeat the Jaruzelski puppet regime. Do you think Islam could bring about similar social and political changes?

Hirsi Ali: Only if Islam is defeated. Because right now, the political side of Islam, the power-hungry expansionist side of Islam, has become superior to the Sufis and the Ismailis and the peace-seeking Muslims.

Reason: Don’t you mean defeating radical Islam?

Hirsi Ali: No. Islam, period. Once it’s defeated, it can mutate into something peaceful. It’s very difficult to even talk about peace now. They’re not interested in peace.

Reason: We have to crush the world’s 1.5 billion Muslims under our boot? In concrete terms, what does that mean, “defeat Islam”?

Hirsi Ali: I think that we are at war with Islam. And there’s no middle ground in wars. Islam can be defeated in many ways. For starters, you stop the spread of the ideology itself; at present, there are native Westerners converting to Islam, and they’re the most fanatical sometimes. There is infiltration of Islam in the schools and universities of the West. You stop that. You stop the symbol burning and the effigy burning, and you look them in the eye and flex your muscles and you say, “This is a warning. We won’t accept this anymore.” There comes a moment when you crush your enemy.

Reason: Militarily?

Hirsi Ali: In all forms, and if you don’t do that, then you have to live with the consequence of being crushed.

Reason: Are we really heading toward anything so ominous?

Hirsi Ali: I think that’s where we’re heading. We’re heading there because the West has been in denial for a long time. It did not respond to the signals that were smaller and easier to take care of. Now we have some choices to make. This is a dilemma: Western civilization is a celebration of life—everybody’s life, even your enemy’s life. So how can you be true to that morality and at the same time defend yourself against a very powerful enemy that seeks to destroy you?

Reason: George Bush, not the most conciliatory person in the world, has said on plenty of occasions that we are not at war with Islam.

Hirsi Ali: If the most powerful man in the West talks like that, then, without intending to, he’s making radical Muslims think they’ve already won. There is no moderate Islam. There are Muslims who are passive, who don’t all follow the rules of Islam, but there’s really only one Islam, defined as submission to the will of God. There’s nothing moderate about it.

Reason: So when even a hard-line critic of Islam such as Daniel Pipes says, “Radical Islam is the problem, but moderate Islam is the solution,” he’s wrong?

Hirsi Ali: He’s wrong. Sorry about that.

There are parts of his opinions that I don't agree, like that talking to Iran is a sheer waste of time and I would also think that she should accentuate the difference between Shia and Sunni Islam.

I will rephrase you question as: how do you advocate crushing a religion militarily without turning to violence towards its adherents?
    Answer. You can't. Even a non-military approach will result in discriminatory polices toward its adherents. Problem is that if nothing is done(which is happening right now), what she says next (if you don’t do that, then you have to live with the consequence of being crushed) is very likely the outcome.

And because of this, people are advocating this kind of policies, opinions... Some are good people with good intentions, some are not. I remember one user here (TheWahhabist - which I much admire) who not so long ago said something like: "ISIS is the necessary evil". Problem with this is that given how much destruction ISIS has brought(in terms of everything), you could make a case that he doesn't care or even advocate violence. Which is not truth of course.

Point is, Islam is extreme and even good people with good intentions can sometimes advocate extreme ideas, ways... to counter its evilness.
     Reply #32 - October 14, 2016, 10:14 AM

nbhb - have you watched the videos gal posted up?

I confess I had not.
     Reply #33 - October 14, 2016, 10:33 AM

We have given several, legitimate reasons why we do not like her, which her fans will not bother with. Instead they push their fingers into their ears and shout "BLA BLA BLA you only dislike her because she's a neocon!" Got to love objectivity.  Roll Eyes

Sure there will be people who dislike her primarily for that reason but there are plenty of other good reasons to dislike her. What is the point of expressing su   pport for ex-Muslims while shutting down our legitimate concerns when they don't coincidence with your views?

And are you not one of them(dislike her primarily for that reason or just a little bit)? And if one dislikes her primarily(or just a little bit) for that reason(being a neocon), how biased his(her) opinion you think would be, especially when he(she) is starting a smear campaign like the sort we have just seen here.

A complete non sequitur. What exactly has the behaviour of certain Muslims got to do with Ayaan's dehumanisation of Muslims as a whole? Is she responsible for her own bigotry or is she to be held to lower standards than everyone else as to what constitutes a decent human being because she had a rough past?

Dehumanisation of Muslims? Bigotry? What is that, another smear campaign?
     Reply #34 - October 14, 2016, 10:48 AM

I confess I had not.

So if you've now watched the documentary what do you make of it?
     Reply #35 - October 14, 2016, 10:53 AM

I haven't, I will watch I promise and give you a feedback, jut give me a little bit of time.
     Reply #36 - October 14, 2016, 10:56 AM

Fair enough.
     Reply #37 - October 14, 2016, 11:47 AM

First of all interesting title: 'The Trouble Is the West'

It is a long interview so let's quote the relevant texts only:
    There are parts of his opinions that I don't agree, like that talking to Iran is a sheer waste of time and I would also think that she should accentuate the difference between Shia and Sunni Islam.

I will rephrase you question as: how do you advocate crushing a religion militarily without turning to violence towards its adherents?
    Answer. You can't. Even a non-military approach will result in discriminatory polices toward its adherents. Problem is that if nothing is done(which is happening right now), what she says next (if you don’t do that, then you have to live with the consequence of being crushed) is very likely the outcome.

And because of this, people are advocating this kind of policies, opinions... Some are good people with good intentions, some are not. I remember one user here (TheWahhabist - which I much admire) who not so long ago said something like: "ISIS is the necessary evil". Problem with this is that given how much destruction ISIS has brought(in terms of everything), you could make a case that he doesn't care or even advocate violence. Which is not truth of course.

Point is, Islam is extreme and even good people with good intentions can sometimes advocate extreme ideas, ways... to counter its evilness.

So you do agree that Islam must be crushed in all forms, thus you agree with violence and discrimination towards its adherence?
     Reply #38 - October 14, 2016, 11:53 AM

And are you not one of them(dislike her primarily for that reason or just a little bit)? And if one dislikes her primarily(or just a little bit) for that reason(being a neocon), how biased his(her) opinion you think would be, especially when he(she) is starting a smear campaign like the sort we have just seen here.

I have clearly stated my reasons for disliking her, and those are the exact reasons. This right here, on the other hand, is a perfect example of strong bias:
    I love Irshad Manji and all the women who have came out publically against this fascist ideology

So no matter how abhorrent one's views are, as long as they "come out publicly" against Islam it's all good?

Dehumanisation of Muslims? Bigotry? What is that, another smear campaign?

Who needs a smear campaign when all we have to do is quote her own words to display why she is not helping ex-Muslims at all and is serving to further drive a wedge between us and communities we know, thus making us more isolated?

SilentMancunian gave some excellent examples as to how she dehumanises Muslims. And if you can't see how advocating violence towards a religious group is bigotry then you have a problem with it yourself.
     Reply #39 - October 14, 2016, 12:37 PM

One week there should be a TV panel involving ex-Muslims of all persuasions debating each other. I don't think it's ever been done before. Then it can go on YouTube.
     Reply #40 - October 14, 2016, 12:58 PM

That would be interesting to see how people have diverged from a single shared position as an ex-Muslim. Maybe some converts to other religions, different political views/parties, views on multiculturalism vs assimilation, etc. The verses debate format becomes tiresome and just repetition after you heard it often enough.
     Reply #41 - October 14, 2016, 04:05 PM

Fair enough.

I think(seeing only the beginning of the first part) I watched this long ago. I do believe that she has lied a lot about her past. Has she benefited a lot from this? Definitely, including with her asylum case. She's an opportunist? Clearly so. I would say that gal_from_usa made some good points.
     Reply #42 - October 15, 2016, 10:30 AM

An article about Ayaan from 2007 which I suspect is pretty fair: http://www.economist.com/node/8663231
     Reply #43 - October 15, 2016, 12:56 PM

An article about Ayaan from 2007 which I suspect is pretty fair: http://www.economist.com/node/8663231

zeca ..who is the author of that article?? .,  may be "suspect" is  not a right word there .,  we need not suspect fair article  or fair statements on some persons ... Fair is fair.... 

Again that is written in 2007..   You may say  it is fair., but the undertones in that article such as this

http://www.economist.com/node/8663231

"The Dutch-Somali politician, who has lived under armed guard ever since a fatwa was issued against her in 2004, is a chameleon of a woman. Just 11 years after she arrived in the Netherlands from Africa, she rode into parliament  on a wave of anti-immigrant sentiment, only to leave again last year, this time for America, after an uproar over lies she had told to obtain asylum."

tells me something else., for e.g taking those words  I could even say  "that rascal whoever wrote those words is showing green eyed grudge against her..  with an intent that   "after all African  black lady just in 11 years rides in to  Dutch parliament "

It is like some Americans saying . Obama .. A  biracial kid in American  politics   and that to with a African Muslim father from nowhere became President of America.,   ...

Does that fool didn't know what happened to her colleague that  film director Theo van Gogh  in 2004 ??  and how she became famous from that incident and gets elected in to parliament ??

It seems her critics do not understand the times and how Islam and Islamic mindset of nominal Muslim folks and even hard core Islamist is changing  for the past 20 years since that Scoundrel THE HERO OF ISLAM Osama bin laden became famous due to Americans and killed by Americans...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #44 - October 15, 2016, 05:42 PM

I said 'suspect' because I'm hardly an expert on this and I'm open to arguments. The article still seems fair to me though. What I see is a smart, ambitious Kenyan Somali woman telling Europeans and Americans what they want to hear - and part of me feels a sneaking sympathy for her for this. I thought this also came across in the comments from family and acquaintances in the documentary. Still she doesn't come across as someone I'd trust at all. Talking of the documentary I'd ask you the same questions as nbhb - have you watched it and if so what do you make of it?

Reply #45 - October 15, 2016, 07:50 PM

I said 'suspect' because I'm hardly an expert on this and I'm open to arguments. The article still seems fair to me though. What I see is a smart, ambitious Kenyan Somali woman telling Europeans and Americans what they want to hear - and part of me feels a sneaking sympathy for her for this.

Well there is nothing wrong for a human being to have qualities like SMART,  AMBITIOUS,hard working ..etc..etc., unless you are using those words at her in a derogatory  sarcastic mode.  

And  we don't need to show any sympathy to any one., irrespective of whether they come from poor family /country backgrounds/what continent they come from etc..etc.. if there intent is CRIMINAL IN NATURE  with reference to  Muslim folks living in West.,   Now I will not consider criticizing and questioning a faith, any faith,  Islam or other faiths.. their rituals.. their rules  as criminal.  

I thought this also came across in the comments from family and acquaintances in the documentary. Still she doesn't come across as someone I'd trust at all. Talking of the documentary I'd ask you the same questions as nbhb - have you watched it and if so what do you make of it?

I don't get that ., you mean to say her family is telling truth and she lied against her family??

Well to pick on  some one I can easily pick on her brother words., and say that rascal is either lying or doesn't know what goes on in Somalia since Al-Shabaab became heroes of Islam in that country ((I watched him long time ago ))

Anyways I have not watched any tube in this folder ., on Important subjects I like reading more than watching some people chit-chating  on youtube..

So which one you would like me to watch?  Anyways  I need to read more on her.... Year by year account of her life journey   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_Hirsi_Ali   all the way to marrying  a Thatcherist  Thatcherism....

The other problem seems to be at least in the initial years ((when she moved out of Netherlands  that was in 2007))  ......she seem to use wrong  words when she speaks ., It could be language problem .,  So I like to read what she wrote  and I would appreciate any article links that she may have penned.

So ideally criticizing her should come from what she wrote

Reply #46 - October 15, 2016, 08:42 PM

So which one you would like me to watch?  

Zeca wants you to watch this, Yeezevee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbxP8Uys8kc

Also you still need to respond to my previous post which you must of missed due to all the nonsense nbhb caused.

Whether her words are important or not and what words of her are important and what are not important  is a different question.,

So before you say that .,

1). You should list and give links to her words that are harmful and not important to ex-Muslims

2). You should also list your points that you think are important for ex-Muslims to air and share with-in Muslim community  such as family get to-gethers,  mosques  , community meetings... etc place in Muslim Nations(>80% Muslim folks live in  a nation)  as well non-Muslim countries such as west  dear SilentMancunian ..

To be honest I can't be bothered trawling through her videos and statements to give you a list, but surely the example I gave in my first post in the thread about how she categorises Muslims into 'Medinan Muslims' and 'Meccan Muslims' is enough to know what she is really about. She is there to appease a western audience who have no understanding of Muslims and to give them the tools to hate only a part of the Muslim community rather than the whole so that they can say 'I don't hate all Muslims, just the 'Medinan Muslims' who are bad' despite the fact there is no such thing. The terms she uses only degrades Muslims and makes them seem like mindless drones devoid of critical thought, who only act according to what part of the Quran they read, rather than complex human beings who are also affected by other things like culture, tradition and politics. This would be trivial if it wasn't for the fact other ex Muslims are influenced by her work and have used it in the public debates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlCazztehbI

Amal is a clear example of what not to do in the public sphere. First, don't act like you are superior to someone else by saying 'I got educated' as so do Muslims and they end up still believing. Second, don't use terms to categorise Muslims which have no place in traditional Islam as it shows that you get you source of information from non-Muslim/anti-Muslim websites/book rather than through engaging with the teachings and actually disagreeing with them. Thirdly, don't ever use Taqiyya, or try to imply it,  to claim your opposition is being dishonest, instead, prove that they are being dishonest. The most important thing though, is to give clear and concise answers on where your disbelief originates from and not a whole list of what is wrong with Islam. By trying to claim the religion is false, you are only going to paint yourself as a someone who is Anti-Muslim/Anti-Islam.

The aim should be to humanise/normalise apostates in Islam instead of conforming to a caricature of someone who has left the religion and now has a vendetta against it.

If you haven't already, check out Faith to Faithless. I met Imtiaz Shams yesterday in Manchester, and from the looks of it, he seems to understand that you need to come across as someone who is relatable when you are explaining your lack of belief, especially when talking to Muslims. Don't forget, a lot of us on here have never met a Ex-Muslim (or even seen one) before we accepted our lack of belief, so you should accept that it also applies to many Muslims, and to come across as someone who is hostile towards Muslims is only going to make them see you in a negative light, and by extension all ex-Muslims they come across.

Reply #47 - October 15, 2016, 10:16 PM

Thank you  SilentMancunian ..

Also you still need to respond to my previous post which you must of missed due to all the nonsense nbhb caused.

I will..  i will

Reply #48 - October 15, 2016, 10:29 PM

Well there is nothing wrong for a human being to have qualities like SMART,  AMBITIOUS,hard working ..etc..etc., unless you are using those words at her in a derogatory  sarcastic mode.

I'm not being sarcastic. I think she is smart and ambitious. I also get the impression that she's taken a lot of people for a ride, and in a way I think she's still doing this with her supporters.

And  we don't need to show any sympathy to any one., irrespective of whether they come from poor family /country backgrounds/what continent they come from etc..etc..

She doesn't come from a poor family. Her father was a leading Somali politician. Even as political refugees her family were comfortably off compared to most people in Nairobi. She went to one of the better private schools there. When I was in Kenya I don't think I ever met anyone, Kenyan or Somali, from such an elite background. I think maybe the background comes across in her right wing politics, both as an Islamist when she was younger and later as a neocon. I don't see much concern there for the poor and dispossessed, or for other refugees. This doesn't come automatically with the background but it probably shouldn't be too surprising either.

I don't get that ., you mean to say her family is telling truth and she lied against her family??

That's the impression I get from the documentary. Whether it's as straightforward as that may be another question.

Well to pick on  some one I can easily pick on her brother words., and say that rascal is either lying or doesn't know what goes on in Somalia since Al-Shabaab became heroes of Islam in that country ((I watched him long time ago ))

He didn't come across to me as someone who is lying. If you want to watch the documentary and you think I'm wrong then by all means try and convince me. I don't see what Al-Shabaab has to do with what was happening in Nairobi in the early 90s.

Anyways I have not watched any tube in this folder ., on Important subjects I like reading more than watching some people chit-chating  on youtube..

It may be asking a lot to say sit down and watch a full length documentary on youtube but without doing this I'm not sure there's that much to discuss.
     Reply #49 - October 17, 2016, 01:12 PM

He didn't come across to me as someone who is lying. If you want to watch the documentary and you think I'm wrong then by all means try and convince me. I don't see what Al-Shabaab has to do with what was happening in Nairobi in the early 90s. 

It may be asking a lot to say sit down and watch a full length documentary on youtube but without doing this I'm not sure there's that much to discuss.

I will watch it ..  is it the same one   SilentMancunian  asked me to watch in his post?

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/lhwhnp/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-ayaan-hirsi-ali

dangerous  juice....  giving AMRIKANO media to Islamophobes

Reply #50 - October 17, 2016, 01:32 PM

Ayaan is the Darling of the Right Wing/Neoconservatives and a lot of what she says, especially when she talks about Reformation, is catered for a Right Wing Racist audience who want to be able to talk about negative aspects of Islam in a simplistic manner.

She is an amateur when it comes to talking about extremism and Muslims, just watch her joint platform with Maajid Nawaz and pay attentions to how both of them categorise Muslims in order to fit their narrative 

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV_GMeZ_XmA).

She uses dehumanising categories like 'Medinan Muslim' and 'Meccan Muslim' to try explain differences between the worlds Muslim populations which is completely out of touch with reality  ...........

helloo  SilentMancunian.,

Hmm  that is a different  video   from the one you suggested to me to watch,,,,  and I fully agree with you that she is a Darling of the Right Wing/Neoconservatives .  And   and it is a fact that any one who criticizes Islam will automatically become  Darling of the Right Wing/Neoconservatives  when they interact with right wing characters.,   There is a   little doubt on that

But   but could you add bit more details of your thoughts of a question  
    "why is it dehumanizing Muslims if some one  categories Muslim folks says  'Medinan Muslim' and 'Meccan Muslim' ??

I read that twice from you in different posts

I mean she is taking some sort of historical  fact/Assumption. "That   this so called political Islam that uses violence for politics  has the origin  from Islamic narratives that come from after alleged Prophet of Islam Moved to Madina" .. in other words she simply saying Violence  in Islam starts from that Prophet's  Nakhla expedition  in the year 623..

605: The Holy Prophet arbitrates in a dispute among the Quraish about the placing of the Black Stone in the Kaaba.

610: The first revelation in the cave at Mt. Hira. The Holy Prophet is commissioned as the Messenger of God.
    613: Declaration at Mt. Sara inviting the general public to Islam.
    614: Invitation to the Hashimites to accept Islam.
    615: Persecution of the Muslims by the Quraish. A party of Muslims leaves for Abyssinia.
    616: Second Hijrah to Abysinnia.
    617: Social boycott of the Hashimites and the Holy Prophet by the Quraish. The Hashimites are shut up in a glen outside Makkah.
    619: Lifting of the boycott. Deaths of Abu Talib and Hadrat Khadija. Year of sorrow.
    620: Journey to Taif. Ascension to the heavens.
    621: First pledge at Aqaba.

621-622; Prophet Migrates to Madina
    622: Second pledge at Aqaba. The Holy Prophet and the Muslims migrate to Yathrib.
    623: Nakhla expedition.

what is wrong with that??   In fact at this time and age.,  I will go further and say   "We not only have Meccan Muslims and Madinan Muslims   but we have  Variety of Muslims from Variety of cultures   London Muslims..  Lahore Muslims ..Latakia  Muslims.,     Karachi Muslims ..Kirkuk Muslims ..Kassala  Muslims   etc..etc..etc..

I say one way or other way the Muslim folks born/brought up  in  those different cities/towns  are all different and have different problems and follow different amount of literal Islam

Is it wrong to say that??

Reply #51 - October 17, 2016, 01:36 PM

I will watch it ..  is it the same one   SilentMancunian  asked me to watch in his post?

Yes, that's the one.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YbxP8Uys8kc
     Reply #52 - October 17, 2016, 01:49 PM

dear zeca I am NOT a superficial guy ., I am reading /writing/watching for a long time..

Anyways  do you have any idea of whose channel  you are copy/pasting that video  from??  ..

إنا كفيناك المستهزئين Al-Hijr 15:95

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diCfbjLAWsc  

What I am saying in this folder doesn't mean one should  Not criticize Mrs Ayan Hirsi   Ali ., Right criticism  of Ex-Muslims  and their views is very Important .. But it has to be right criticisms ...  

Question to you .. Is Mrs Ayan Hirsi   Ex-Muslim or not??

Reply #53 - October 17, 2016, 02:26 PM

It's a Dutch TV documentary (from this series: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zembla_(TV_series)). I'm not endorsing whoever's youtube channel it's posted on. Of course Ayaan is an ex-Muslim. Why would anyone dispute that?
     Reply #54 - October 17, 2016, 02:29 PM

It's a Dutch TV documentary. I'm not endorsing whoever's youtube channel it's posted on.

That is not right.,what you should say there is

"That fellow from where you pasted that video copied some parts from  Dutch TV documentary"

Reply #55 - October 17, 2016, 02:51 PM

I was not a big Aayan follower, but the few occasions I saw her on TV and a few videos, I found her open and direct, so I was a bit surprised how people here took the family's statements at face value – especially on this forum, where young muslim women in the West, (educated in the public system etc, where there are social services support to help them vs Kenya) come on regularly and say they are being pressured into marriages against their wishes.  If one questioned their families at that time, would you expect an admission ?

Anyway, that would be just my gut talking, so I looked into it and found....

1. that the ZEMBLA documentary was politically motivated, not just against Ali  (though she is still tainted by it)  but against the VVD, A center left party, which she had recently joined and represented in Parliament.   VARA the broadcasting station responsible for the ZEMBLA program is closely linked to their rival PvdA, Labour Party which is more left on the spectrum 1

2.  In fact Ali had worked for the latter as a researcher etc, till VVD  convinced her to join them. She had appeared on another sister VARA program2 as early as 2002, where the lies on her asylum application was openly discussed, so ZEMBLA was not bringing something new to light there.  They were trying to cast doubt on her story of her   'forced marriage'.  

3. Few are  aware that a week after airing,  while defending their documentary against pushback,  ZEMBLA  admitted that the brother had retracted his statement when Ali and an author friend of hers confronted him by phone 3.  

No doubt Ali seems to have landed on her feet, but this documentary casts long, long shadow on her sincerity since.   For ALL else, she is a perfectly legitimate target of criticism and challenge.    

Evidently she is very hawkish and right wing in her leanings.  Her father fought a leftist Marxist regime and I feel she may have imbibed that from a very early age, not just the neocons she now surrounds herself with. She is a passionate believer in free speech and the rght to offend.  She seems to have 'integrated' and embraced the West to the point of leaving her roots completely behind, though I did see one 2010 interview in which she said she regretted the pain she had caused her mother by rejecting Islam.  

Although she seems to be tempering her views and language recently, she may have burned her bridges in the eyes of (ex)muslims, which hurts her other worthwhile cause of improving the lives of women in the islamic world.  

Tks for listening, I hate TLDR posts !  thnkyu

Dutch Finance Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Gerrit Zalm stands next to Ayaan. Like Ayaan and Rita Verdonk, Zalm is also a member of the Party for Freedom and Democracy. And he is extremely unhappy about his fellow party member's decision. "What surprises me most is the incredible speed with which the decision was made." If Verdonk's agency were to pursue applications for citizenship with the same level of enthusiasm, he says, "we would have fewer problems."
    Zalm also stresses that the accusations now being leveled against MP Ayaan Hirsi Ali have long been known to the public, because she herself has been open about her history on many occasions.
    The question remains as to why the matter took so long to become so explosive. The answer is as banal as it is surprising: because VARA, a television station with social democratic leanings, aired a 40-minute documentary last Thursday called "The Holy Ayaan." VARA's reporters had traveled all the way to Mogadishu in Somalia to obtain information they could just as easily have found on recordings of their own station's programs: that Ayaan Hirsi Ali had long since admitted that she lied when she applied for Dutch asylum.

1. http://www.spiegel.de/international/the-hirsi-ali-case-voltaire-and-erasmus-are-spinning-in-their-graves-a-416587.html

22. http://www.faithfreedom.org/oped/Dewinter60516.htm

3Zembla about Ayaan
    Edo Sturm - 18/05/06, 20:18
    Why Zembla aired the documentary about Ayaan Hirsi Ali?
    It is perhaps a redundant statement, but still: we have never paid anyone to issue a statement. Mahad Hirsi Magan at our request with us made a complicated journey to Somalia. He has previously received an expense allowance of $ 20 per day. He has freely given his explanation and is not put under pressure. T enminste, not by us. After the broadcast, he was called by his sister Ayaan and Leon de Winter. he withdrew his statement to them.
    [/quote]
    Above is a google translation.
    [url=http://www.trouw.nl/tr/nl/4324/nieuws/article/detail/1442894/2006/05/18/Zembla-over-Ayaan.dhtml]

Reply #56 - October 17, 2016, 02:53 PM

(reply to Yeez)

The version I've watched is the version gal posted up in four parts earlier in the thread. I think SilentMancunian posted up another version because it includes the whole documentary on one video - which going off the length I assume it does. Are you saying that something has been left out of it? In any case you could watch the version posted up by gal or that you posted up yourself on the other thread: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=28665.msg862073#msg862073
     Reply #57 - October 17, 2016, 03:20 PM

puzzlelover - thanks for the considered response.

Does anyone else have any opinions about the documentary?
     Reply #58 - October 17, 2016, 03:24 PM

You're welcome Zeca. Smiley
     Reply #59 - October 17, 2016, 05:01 PM

I've watched the documentary again and to be honest I couldn't really say who's lying and who's telling the truth.
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »