Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How I became interested in Islam.

(Read 13842 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: How I became interested in Islam.
     Reply #30 - February 24, 2010, 04:54 PM

Agreed.

Rationalizer, your experiences are very similar to mine except I actually took the step of becoming Muslim.  I am, once again an agnostic.  Smiley

Btw, Greetings and welcome!

I'm agnostic too, but with a 99% certainty there is no God.  I am also only 99% sure there is no such thing as fairies and leprechauns, and considering I will categorically state I don't believe in those I thought it was only fair not to give any bias to a specific mythical creature and just say I am an atheist Wink

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #31 - February 24, 2010, 05:34 PM

Never met you but welcome to the board, rationalizer, interesting story u said you wanted Islam to be true, I wanted to one point but I soon became an anti-theist and was bothered a lot by the idea of eternal suffering in the afterlife.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #32 - February 24, 2010, 07:09 PM

Never met you but welcome to the board, rationalizer, interesting story u said you wanted Islam to be true, I wanted to one point but I soon became an anti-theist and was bothered a lot by the idea of eternal suffering in the afterlife.

It's ironic that "the world's fastest growing religion" is what turned me from an agnostic (leaning towards theist) into an atheist.  I too could describe myself as an anti-theist, but only anti the divine being in the abrahamic religions.  I find it more logically not to be an anti-theist, it's not possible to be against something that doesn't exist Smiley

Reply #33 - February 24, 2010, 07:14 PM

It's ironic that "the world's fastest growing religion" is what turned me from an agnostic (leaning towards theist) into an atheist.  I too could describe myself as an anti-theist, but only anti the divine being in the abrahamic religions.  I find it more logically not to be an anti-theist, it's not possible to be against something that doesn't exist Smiley

I get what you are saying I am just against the idea in theory but since there is no empirical evidence to substantiate the existence of a celestial tyrant I'm happy being an atheist.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #34 - February 24, 2010, 07:25 PM

I get what you are saying I am just against the idea in theory but since there is no empirical evidence to substantiate the existence of a celestial tyrant I'm happy being an atheist.

I understand because I was there too.  I thought that the idea of eternity with an entity that is infinitely more perfect than myself and could read my every thought would be hell.  I thought that heaven would be life after death with no god, where everyone was equal.  But then if god exists how do I KNOW that he doesn't make himself equal in heaven? How do I know he doesn't make himself below everyone in heaven?  I don't, so how can I be against something I have no knowledge of and no evidence of?

I am only anti-Yahwehist, and very strongly too Smiley

Reply #35 - February 24, 2010, 10:03 PM

I understand because I was there too.  I thought that the idea of eternity with an entity that is infinitely more perfect than myself and could read my every thought would be hell.  I thought that heaven would be life after death with no god, where everyone was equal.  But then if god exists how do I KNOW that he doesn't make himself equal in heaven? How do I know he doesn't make himself below everyone in heaven?  I don't, so how can I be against something I have no knowledge of and no evidence of?

I am only anti-Yahwehist, and very strongly too Smiley

Ye I understand that. Anti-Yahwehist, is that because there is no heaven or hell in judaism just god punishing people on Earth lol.

Reply #36 - March 11, 2010, 03:16 AM

Rationalizer-- love your avatar. That was one of my favorite shows as a little kid. Still fuckin love the opening sequence.

fuck you
     Reply #37 - March 11, 2010, 07:22 AM

Where is that from?
     Reply #38 - March 11, 2010, 08:22 AM

Rationalizer-- love your avatar. That was one of my favorite shows as a little kid. Still fuckin love the opening sequence.

You are as old as me then Smiley  I use it as the startup sequence on my youtube channel.

Where is that from?

The Equalizer!

• How I became interested in Islam.
     Reply #39 - September 15, 2016, 02:27 AM

That's a long story, I will be as brief as possible.
    1: Raised by atheists who mocked religion at every opportunity.
    2: Went to a school where religious assemblies were mandatory.
    3: Listened to the stories as a 7 year old and thought they were bollocks.
    4: At 19 I realised how big the universe was, accepted there must be life elsewhere (not visiting us), philosophised that some could be god-like compared with me.
    5: Over time became a theist.
    6: At some point during a hypnotherapy session I went to heaven and met Jesus Smiley
    7: One day I had a sudden urge to read the language section of my wife's college course booklet, I hated languages!
    8: I opened the book and it fell open at the languages page, with my eyes on Arabic - must be a sign from God.
    9: We experienced a miscarriage, I had a bit of a mental breakdown.
    10: I started to believe God was talking to me whenever I meditated in the shower. Even revealing something to me using Arabic words I had not yet learned which when checked confirmed what he was telling me in English - turns out I just picked up those words subliminally from another part of my exercise book Smiley
    11: A Muslim friend at my kids' school told me that the Quran is the exact words of God and therefore without mistakes, and that it contained information that Muhammad could not possibly have known.
    12: Suddenly I realised, this is EXACTLY how I would expect God to give a clear message to mankind without being as obvious as to appear in person.
    13: I started to look into the Quran and Islamic miracles.
    14: I decided the Quran was the biggest piece of shit I have ever read, especially poor considering he had over 20 years to write it.
    15: I realised that each time I investigated a miracle claim that impressed me it was either falsely translated, a mathematical trick, or the information was stolen from somewhere else.

Ultimately a man with no legs on YouTube pointed me towards Richard Dawkins videos (I had never heard of him before.)  I watched a lot of those and he connected perfectly with the logical part of my brain, which is the part of my brain that I was trying to get to reconcile my belief in God and failing to do so.

Suddenly one day I realised "I am an atheist, I was always an atheist, I just WANTED God to be real".  Suddenly the daily feeling of not being good enough etc were all gone and I felt free.

So I'd say I've been looking at it for about 2 or 3 years, not quite sure. Ironically Islam helped to make me an atheist.  It raised my expectations, rather than "Blessed is he who believes without seeing" it changed my mindset to "If God wants me to live my whole life in a certain way, why is it unreasonable for him to prove I am not just being tricked?"

I WANTED Islam to be true. There were parts I didn't like, but I was willing to put up with those in order to have proof that God existed. My wife even agreed to wear a Hijab, that is how far we took our discussion on the matter - she's glad it didn't happen though Smiley

I found though that not only are the miracle claimers liars but also the people who are anti-Islamic. Taking Quran verses out of context (which of course terrorist brain washers do too) and making things out to be wrong when they are not.  I have an obsession with the truth and with honesty, so I had to look into it all for myself and tell people what I find.  It's like a mental challenge, trying to work out how a magician does his trick Smiley

So much for "short" Smiley

wow. excellent story...

#6 worried me. Cry  but thankfully there was a happy ending.

sorry to revive this old thread.
     Reply #40 - October 08, 2016, 07:29 PM

I sometimes read through the new apostasy stories on here. I was surprised to see this post bumped Smiley

Reply #41 - October 08, 2016, 08:55 PM

Glad it was bumped. Enjoyed reading it again. Smiley
     Reply #42 - October 09, 2016, 07:31 PM

Gay

• Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »