Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Goodbye World: We’ve Passed the Carbon Tipping Point For Good

(Read 4271 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Goodbye World: We’ve Passed the Carbon Tipping Point For Good
     OP - September 29, 2016, 12:59 AM

It’s a banner week for the end of the world, because we’ve officially pushed atmospheric carbon levels past their dreaded 400 parts per million. Permanently.

According to a blog post last Friday from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, “it already seems safe to conclude that we won’t be seeing a monthly value below 400 ppm this year—or ever again for the indefinite future.” Their findings are based on weekly observations of carbon dioxide at Hawaii’s Mauna Loa Observatory, where climate scientists have been measuring CO2 levels since 1958.

What’s so terrifying about this number? For several years now, scientists have been warning us that if atmospheric carbon were allowed to surpass 400 parts per million, it would mark a serious “tipping point” into some unstoppable climate ramifications. In 2012, the Arctic was the first region on Earth to cross this red line. Three years later, for the first time since scientists had begun to record them, carbon levels remained above 400 parts per million for an entire month.

This time, experts believe we’re stuck here for good, due to the cyclical effects of Mauna Loa’s CO2 curve. Carbon levels usually reach an annual low point near the end of September, Scripps notes, but this year, those numbers are hovering around 401 parts per million. There’s a chance that we’ve haven’t seen 2016’s lowest carbon levels yet, but the institution deems that occurrence “almost impossible.”

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/goodbye-world-weve-passed-the-carbon-tipping-point-for-good

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Goodbye World: We?ve Passed the Carbon Tipping Point For Good
     Reply #1 - September 29, 2016, 03:17 AM

comp26
     Reply #2 - September 29, 2016, 05:37 AM

Left-wing eschatology.
     Reply #3 - September 29, 2016, 09:45 AM

there is something wrong with that lady there is something wrong with AMRIKA.. either they are fat  in the head., fat in thinking,  fat in the body or they are anorexic in the head., anorexic in thinking,  anorexic in the body.. They go to extremes  Either full Veil or no clothes... either Fat or anorexic ., either highly intelligent or dumbest on earth.,    either Machine guns that fire some 100 rounds/sec or no guns....etc..etc..

the only thing that is right in that article is this graph.. and melting of glaciers due to CO2 level

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - September 29, 2016, 10:22 AM

Well, it's been a good run, we might not have lasted long as the dominant species on the planet but hey, maybe the dolphins or octopi will last longer. Then again maybe we'll just replace the natural sky with air safety domes, replace the bees with swarm robots, replace the trees with algae farms, replace the growing food with replicators, replace travelling most places (like work or school) with tele-holograms, and solve whatever else needs replacing. And hey, if all else fails, we can insert junk DNA into the tardigrades to document our species' history; they will definitely survive. I mean, they'd probably survive the death of the sun and the destruction of the planet and just float dormant for millions of years on the asteroids that used to be earth until they landed on a new planet, then just shake the dust off and wander off to do whatever it is tardigrades do after a hard day.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #5 - September 29, 2016, 12:47 PM

I thought I was depressed before I came here this morning. 

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #6 - September 29, 2016, 08:05 PM

Well, it's been a good run, we might not have lasted long as the dominant species on the planet but hey, maybe the dolphins or octopi will last longer. Then again maybe we'll just replace the natural sky with air safety domes, replace the bees with swarm robots, replace the trees with algae farms, replace the growing food with replicators, replace travelling most places (like work or school) with tele-holograms, and solve whatever else needs replacing. And hey, if all else fails, we can insert junk DNA into the tardigrades to document our species' history; they will definitely survive. I mean, they'd probably survive the death of the sun and the destruction of the planet and just float dormant for millions of years on the asteroids that used to be earth until they landed on a new planet, then just shake the dust off and wander off to do whatever it is tardigrades do after a hard day.

Cheesy

Quality.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #7 - September 29, 2016, 08:13 PM

yeez: Wow, I'm amazed how much you can judge about this writers' health from such a photo. I wish more people had your powers.  Roll Eyes

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #8 - September 30, 2016, 12:42 PM

yeez: Wow, I'm amazed how much you can judge about this writers' health from such a photo. I wish more people had your powers.  Roll Eyes

asbie ....  lol.,  Yes...yes... sometimes it is good to pull the legs  Cheesy.  it doesn't matter who the fuck the other person is..

No no I have no such powers  asbie.,  but I casually read few of her blogs  because of her sensational headings on controversial topics such as

Goodbye World: We’ve Passed the Carbon Tipping Point For Good

This Fossil's  Penis Worm Mouth  Has Mystified Scientists, Until Now

Dogs Know When You’re Giving Them Half-Assed Praise, Study Says

and she is very smart ., A bit of leftie like me and very much interested in environment, sciences and biology.. EXCEPT she doesn't work in science..  and she is prolific blogger of rare biological science subjects .And she does look like someone need to feed her..  Cheesy

Reply #9 - December 14, 2019, 04:27 PM

there is something wrong with that lady there is something wrong with AMRIKA.. either they are fat  in the head., fat in thinking,  fat in the body or they are anorexic in the head., anorexic in thinking,  anorexic in the body.. They go to extremes  Either full Veil or no clothes... either Fat or anorexic ., either highly intelligent or dumbest on earth.,    either Machine guns that fire some 100 rounds/sec or no guns....etc..etc..

the only thing that is right in that article is this graph.. and melting of glaciers due to CO2 level

(Clicky for piccy!)

well that was three years ago..... and Now I see a wonderful 16 year girl from that beautiful nation Sweden very determined to fight garbage created by the multinationals that sell oil from underground and fill the planet with Carbon Dioxide ..  And that wonderful  determined 16 year old is Greta Thunberg ., As usual Mr. Tramp of US of A with his loud mouth  little brain fat body fat head  says nonsense once a day .. And he took a potshot at  that 16 year old girl who is fighting for global warming with have nothing with her.. So let me watch her in these tubes..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PumW_ZBO_iw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqHOQKE0bik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhQVustYV24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0a73sP00z4

Hmm they are fun watching ..

Reply #10 - December 14, 2019, 04:45 PM

beware of those selling an end-days religion.

https://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=31664.0
     Reply #11 - December 15, 2019, 06:39 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml3f0KeZnsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsNskDfd5CM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiD04TRwebQ

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »