Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: A rant about converts, hijab, and muslim women.

(Read 6950 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • A rant about converts, hijab, and muslim women.
     OP - September 14, 2016, 10:41 PM

Recently I watched a youtube video by a popular convert Muslim woman based in the UK. The video was about the difficulties of being a Muslim (specifically a convert). She talks about the social judgement that she faces from friends, family, and colleagues. She talks about how people will supposedly assume that you are a terrorist when you walk by in public, and how wearing the hijab has posed new difficulties that she overcomes with encouraging thoughts on how she is doing it for the sake of allah.

Now, for the record, I KNOW that there is discrimination against Muslims. As an ex muslim woman, I have taken my hijab off in places that I feel safe to do so, and keep it on most of the time in my daily life. There is a significant difference in the way people treat you without it. People are more open, give more eye contact, are more receptive to starting conversations with you. I have been in many situations in which I (while wearing the hijab) was sidelined and ignored in conversations when I attempted to join in or start one (this happens a lot less when I am not wearing it).

BUT

What she fails to mention is the fact that the same sort of discrimination occurs on the opposing side as well. On the Muslim side.

I'm an ex muslim woman. I can't tell anyone, lest I be disowned, or ridiculed, or even killed. I cannot eat, say, do, or wear what I want. The entire Muslim community is terrifying to me, because I know how prevalent negative views against non muslims and ex muslims are.

I for one, get really annoyed when I hear a Muslim speaking publicly about Islamophobia, only to privately shit on non muslims right in front of me. The fact that she has the PRIVILEGE (and I hate using this word) to speak her mind without significant threat of any kind, and having the entire muslim community at her back protecting her and supporting her in her ideas, and I do not have any of that is unfair. It is a problem that Muslims fail to address continuously whenever they have meetings and articles talking about how lovely Islam is to women, how women choose to wear the hijab, and how prevalent islamophobia is in society.

Well I'm about to coin a new word. It's called Kaffirphobia. And it's just as much of a problem, if not more than islamophobia, because it is ignored. Some muslims may argue that non muslims in general cannot suffer as much in terms of discrimination (against them) as muslims because muslims are a smaller group. Well ex muslims are an even smaller group. We are basically overshadowed and censored by the large mass of muslims that hover over us.

No matter what, I will always be a part of the muslim community. Even as an ex muslim, islam has helped shape my opinions (it's just in this case I'm against it), and I grew up in that community. No matter what, it will always be a part of my life and identity.

Another annoying thing is when Muslim women talk about how they have the choice to wear hijab (especially convert muslim women). You do not have the choice to wear hijab. It is MANDATORY. Islam does not have a hadith that says "hey ladies, whenever your ready". So stop lying, just because you happened to make the 'correct' choice, that does not mean islam gives women the freedom to choose whether or not to wear it, it does not mean that women who do not want to wear it are at fault, or do not count as part of your "perfect" picture of happy hijabies.

And lastly, I am sick and tired of hearing Muslim women say that Islam gives them rights. Islam does not give you rights, democracy does. Islam in many places makes it clear that women are inferior to men from anything from intellect to ability to testify, to inheritance, to the ability to get a legal divorce, to spirituality. And although I'm not going to give scriptural examples here, there are many hadiths and verses supporting this viewpoint.

In short, Muslims need to stop lying for Islam, and ex muslims need to stand up and fight our marginalization in society. I'm sorry if this was unreadable. These were my raw thoughts with no editing. What do you think? Discuss.
     Reply #1 - September 15, 2016, 12:13 AM

So sorry, hijab is NOT mandatory for everyone. Dispensation is given for women who are considered to be beyond marriageable age. Those women are not required to wear abaya nor hijab, as long as they don't adorn themselves, which I assume means do not wear makeup or jewelry but probably is interpreted in the strictest way and means women ought to stay in their house or in the dark or whatever the sheikh can dream up to make our lives hell.

That television program you were watching was about the difficulties of being a Muslim convert, not the difficulties of being an ex-Muslim, which is why nothing was mentioned on that subject. There will be more shows about that. I think a few came out this past year, which was nice.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #2 - September 15, 2016, 12:39 AM

So sorry, hijab is NOT mandatory for everyone. Dispensation is given for women who are considered to be beyond marriageable age.

For some reason I think that this is actually more insulting than not....

Women "beyond marriageable age".... less of a woman I suppose  finmad
     Reply #3 - September 15, 2016, 12:50 AM

I don't know. I kind of like the idea of it. It sounds like an age where you are not bothered by anyone. I think I might be there.

Reply #4 - September 15, 2016, 02:14 AM

It's just the implications that a woman's worth is tied to being "marriageable" age... further implications that a woman's worth decreases as she age, and it's further down there if she's not married....
     Reply #5 - September 15, 2016, 02:49 AM

Oh, I do get it. But the older I get the less pressure there is, and I feel like I can breathe better.

Reply #6 - September 15, 2016, 10:17 AM

perfect example of NEW converts behaviors towards Islam, Islamic rules/rituals  or their attitude towards apostates  can be seen in this Q & A video of our CEMB rationalizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-vDFWjA2Iw

that convert   Tony Blair’s sister-in-law is a perfect example  .. Now she is one of the leader of  women's wing Islam in UK..

she married that guy  after wrecking the marriage and family of  Sohale Ahmed  , whom he married earlier.  in fact  under British law  Faiza Ahmed is still legally married to Sohale Ahmed when she married Booth...

That is how Islam is working since its birth...., Islam indeed  has the power to shake the world through its allah given rules & regulations  on society and family ..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #7 - September 15, 2016, 10:48 AM

I heard the woman beyond marriageable age was defined as women over 45.  Not likely to be fertile or too sexy to some men.  Because these old men can marry some foolish woman who is 19 is her father pushes it.  The over 45 rule does not prevent some older women from being abused, raped or locked up in doors.  A woman without a son who adores her to the point that is unnnatural is really lost. 

Some 20 years ago I actually was starting to listen to the feminist? converts who were saying that the hijab was good for women because they were not "sex" objects and honored.  But the hijab just makes them treated as really nothing but sex objects.   Maybe the woman I saw on the transit wearing a dusting rag on her head really was trying to make a statement. 

Haven't you hear that A is the best schemer of all schemers? Of course its followers are also schemers and LIARS.  Those zealots who convert the seekers rarely tell the truth or the whole truth or even encourage reading the quran in full in a language the person understands.  I am always surprised at the scriptural illteracy of most converts. 
    Then of course the few converts that do read the quran usually turn into terrorists or want to leave. Why be surprised? 

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #8 - September 15, 2016, 07:22 PM

So sorry, hijab is NOT mandatory for everyone. Dispensation is given for women who are considered to be beyond marriageable age. Those women are not required to wear abaya nor hijab, as long as they don't adorn themselves, which I assume means do not wear makeup or jewelry but probably is interpreted in the strictest way and means women ought to stay in their house or in the dark or whatever the sheikh can dream up to make our lives hell.

That television program you were watching was about the difficulties of being a Muslim convert, not the difficulties of being an ex-Muslim, which is why nothing was mentioned on that subject. There will be more shows about that. I think a few came out this past year, which was nice.

That is true, but it doesn't matter. Hijab is a mandatory part of Islam, and if you don't want to wear one, you have no choice unless your family is liberal. Or if waiting until you're an old woman is ok with you. The fact is, yes, older women can decide to show hair (and some scholars say only a bit of it), but that does not mean that hijab is a free choice the way that many muslim apologists try to claim.

I know that she was speaking specifically about converts, however, I was saying that I've never heard a Muslim ever address the issue of discrimination within the muslim community. I'm sure it does exist somewhere, but the vast majority of muslim activists seem only concerned with their side of the story.
     Reply #9 - September 16, 2016, 12:15 AM

https://sobersecondlook.wordpress.com/

This woman has written some very insightful pieces on conversion, discrimination, and prejudice in the Ummah.

Reply #10 - September 16, 2016, 12:19 AM

I heard the woman beyond marriageable age was defined as women over 45.  Not likely to be fertile or too sexy to some men.  Because these old men can marry some foolish woman who is 19 is her father pushes it.  The over 45 rule does not prevent some older women from being abused, raped or locked up in doors.  A woman without a son who adores her to the point that is unnnatural is really lost. 

Some 20 years ago I actually was starting to listen to the feminist? converts who were saying that the hijab was good for women because they were not "sex" objects and honored.  But the hijab just makes them treated as really nothing but sex objects.   Maybe the woman I saw on the transit wearing a dusting rag on her head really was trying to make a statement. 

Haven't you hear that A is the best schemer of all schemers? Of course its followers are also schemers and LIARS.  Those zealots who convert the seekers rarely tell the truth or the whole truth or even encourage reading the quran in full in a language the person understands.  I am always surprised at the scriptural illteracy of most converts. 
    Then of course the few converts that do read the quran usually turn into terrorists or want to leave. Why be surprised? 

There is a whole lotta wrong in here.

Reply #11 - September 16, 2016, 02:24 AM

There is a whole lotta wrong in here.

well  three there is   whole lotta wrong in  Islam ., So if Bee  posts something she perceives as wrong  and she posts it as wrong with Islam and Muslims .. it is not unusual and It is Ok.. ''''

see what is wrong with Islam...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nO9sBjHzAg

Scoundrels become leaders, Rogues becomes preachers in Islam

and and ALL THAT IS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT ORIGINAL PREACHER OF ISLAM ..  the unknown "Muhammad"

Reply #12 - September 16, 2016, 02:35 AM

Yeezevee once again, as always, you are correct.

Reply #13 - September 16, 2016, 11:57 AM

Yeezevee once again, as always, you are correct.

I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself there three. Grin

Love you yeez!  far away hug

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #14 - September 16, 2016, 12:39 PM

I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself there three. Grin

Love you yeez!  far away hug

problem is   THE RASCAL  IS BIT DECEPTIVE dear asbie... Cheesy  but our "three"  catches me all the time

Reply #15 - September 17, 2016, 03:42 PM

I read back what I wrote.  Weird.   Thanks for reading.

She is so fat during ramadan she travels from the couch to the fridge to eat. 

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #16 - September 17, 2016, 03:48 PM

She is so fat during ramadan she travels from the couch to the fridge to eat.  

huh!  what?    why so harsh on  ramadan bee?  who?  who is that Fat head?  who is that faith head?  

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »