Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: I am an agnostic muslim - Struggling with guilt - Advice would be appreciated

(Read 4794 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I am an agnostic muslim - Struggling with guilt - Advice would be appreciated
     OP - September 06, 2016, 11:47 AM

Hi All,

First time poster (obviously) - but definitely not a troll. This is bit of a mind dump - but I really would appreciate any person reading and advising. What you will find, is a sincere gushing of thoughts - What lead me from being a devout muslim, to an agnostic?

My deal:
    I'm 44, and I've always been religious and reasonably moderate - No drinking, eat Halal - Fell in love with a muslim girl at college and we got married some time later - No sex before marriage.

At uni, we both got into Islam strong (after my dad passed away) - and we've both kept within the minimal limits of following 5 pillars - but not fanatic (no beard / Hijab) - We've always been respectful of other religions and cultures. I've always seen it as a strong Muslim, and strong British person totally compatible

I have always been grateful for being a muslim - I found it generally made me a better person (trying not to lie, to steal, etc) - I have never had a desire to drink, and personally see it as a mind altering drug.

Anyway - it all started a few years a go, when I read Lesley Hazleton's book about the Sunni Shia split. She was very respectful of Islam, but also quite balanced in the accounts of what happened. Basically there's a picture of the Prophet dying, and almost immediately there's a power vacuum. Some people acting honourably, some people acting like politicians and so the history of post prophet Islam begins.  The part that really hit me was the battle of the camel 
    Google: Wiki Battle_of_the_Camel

In essence, thousands of muslims die in a civil war - Started by Aisha, avenging the death of Uthman - Absolutely ludicrous, and contradicting so many good things that I learnt from Islam. I'll paraphrase a few below
    "The death of one innocent is worthy of the death of mankind"
    "The destruction of the Kabaa would be less significant than the death of an innocent muslim"
    "The prophet's companions were the greatest amongst us - we should follow their examples"

Anyhow since reading that book, the whole thing started to unravel - There was no divine plan - the history of Islam is as messed up as the history of Christianity - History is written by the winners

Then I hit upon this thread
    Google: quota Why-havent-we-seen-any-more-prophets-in-the-last-1400-years

Basically pointing out that technically there HAVE been prophets after Muhammad (5 million Bahai's, 15 million Mormons) - It's just a matter of perspective, and being brave enough to be impartial about it. - Again - history is written by the winners.

Oh, and then there's cosmology - My first year thesis at University I wrote about the proof of the big bang, and how that marries the concept of God and science (Basically - where did that energy come from for the singularity?) - That always made my faith stronger. But since then, I've learnt about the event horizon, and we're probably part of a multiverse - and there's no way to prove that as we're not able to observe beyond our universe - due to Physics!!!.

So this is where I end up - God, that created a multiverse (which is mind bogglingly massive) - God's last explicit communication with humanity was with a 40+ year old man, 1400+ years ago. And this was through a series of amazing and insightful poems - which were compiled after the Prophet's death into a single document..... That's it. Nothing more since then - despite the billions of births, deaths and evolution of mankind and technology.

... And the final piece of the puzzle - The internet .....
    When I was younger, the Quran was this mysterious book with all the answers to life the universe and everything - directly from God's word! You could believe that.. Because we lived in a world where all information was in books, and you had to go to the library to do research, using 10 volume encyclopaedias. Learning about different cultures was an exotic and rare experience, usually involving lots of money and travel.

The post-internet world has changed it all - Now we KNOW that humans are humans wherever you go - and in MOST cases, they follow the path that their culture has laid out for them - They believe what their culture has told them. But at the heart of it, we all want to love, live and be happy - Muslim, Sikh, Jew, Hindu, Agnostic, Atheist - whoever

Some people are kind, some people are mean, some people are selfish, some people are generous. Some people are child abusers, some people are rapists   - Doesn't really matter what religion, or culture - people are people. The internet has shown us this!

So, where Am I now?
    I am agnostic (you can't prove or disprove God)
    I believe that the prophet was an exceptionally intelligent man that changed the world - and wanted to create a good system to better humanity - But I can say the same about Ghandi, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk. There are always exceptional people in every generation.
    I believe that Quranic Islam's intention is of a peaceful moral and good force in the world.
    I respect Islam, as I respect other religions.
    I don't want to drink...... and I don't want to eat Haraam

So I would class myself a cultural Muslim.

So What's my problem?
    I have a wife - Whom I dearly love. When we met 24 years ago, we always felt that being muslim defines us. And she has always been encouraged when we pray together. I have told her about my lack of faith and she has told me that she still respects and loves me - We've had a stressful year and she does't want me to overthink it. However - I feel like i've broken the contract with her - I feel like I've let her down.

I have 5 year old twins - I want them to be muslim - I want them to benefit from the magic of Ramadan - fasting - The magic of Eid, the magic of believing in god and having Imaan. The pleasure of an Islamic community - It's all a beautiful thing, and I look back on all of that with love.

My problem... I just don't believe it's divinely ordained - I am agnostic about God - I believe there's something more than us - but that's more of a physics problem - But I don't believe that  Prophet Muhammad recited the word of God in the literal sense that muslims are supposed to believe. But I believe his intentions were good - to create a movement to help mankind.

I am sad that I don't have Imaan - I always felt very blessed for having imaan... and I had it strong.... I just don't believe it anymore. Like George Carlin said (paraphrase) "The chance of your prayers working, are roughly the same whether you pray to God or Joe Pesci.. about 50 / 50" - and if I'm honest, that's kinda correct.

What do I do?
     Reply #1 - September 06, 2016, 02:17 PM

Hi All,

First time poster ...
    ....What lead me from being a devout muslim, to an agnostic?
    ...So, where Am I now?...
    I am agnostic (you can't prove or disprove God).......
    I believe that Quranic Islam's intention is of a peaceful moral and good force in the world.
    I respect Islam, as I respect other religions.
    I don't want to drink...... and I don't want to eat Haraam
    So I would class myself a cultural Muslim.

So What's my problem?
    I have a wife - Whom I dearly love. When we met 24 years ago, we always felt that being muslim defines us. And she has always been encouraged when we pray together. I have told her about my lack of faith and she has told me that she still respects and loves me - We've had a stressful year and she does't want me to overthink it. However - I feel like i've broken the contract with her - I feel like I've let her down.

I have 5 year old twins - I want them to be muslim - I want them to benefit from the magic of Ramadan - fasting - The magic of Eid, the magic of believing in god and having Imaan. The pleasure of an Islamic community - It's all a beautiful thing, and I look back on all of that with love.

My problem... .....
    I am sad that I don't have Imaan - ..
    What do I do?

hello mclihah2.,  as I read you twice ., I see that you have absolutely no problem but you are trying your best to create problems dear mclihah2.,   I ask  you why? ., Your problems are same as anyone else's problem in any faith.   Islam being a faith the followers of Islam will have same problems as any other fellows from other faiths who are trying to question/understand their faiths..

So stop worrying .,  let kids enjoy those Islamic  cultural festivals..  As an agnostic Muslim,  your Imaan is as good  as any Muslim  and it  is NOT weak.    what good reasons you have to say that your imaan is weak ?
    Anyway - it all started a few years a go, when I read Lesley Hazleton's book about the Sunni Shia split. .
    ...  The part that really hit me was the battle of the camel  

well  here is a folder on her   http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=22630.0   you may like to read through it..

and welcome to CEMB...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - September 06, 2016, 02:55 PM

Welcome mclihah2,

So long as things are well with your wife and you love each other, I don't think you really need to *do* anything.

I am also an Agnostic Muslim and have been through a similar journey (I'm 57).

Could I share your post on my Facebook timeline as many of my family and friends would benefit from hearing it. I would make it anonymous. Of course I totally understand if you'd rather I didn't.
     Reply #3 - September 06, 2016, 02:59 PM

Also there is an Agnostic Muslim Facebook group you might like to join.
     Reply #4 - September 06, 2016, 03:00 PM

You can also friend me on Facebook if you want. Just search Hassan Radwan and the same profile picture I have here should come up Smiley
     Reply #5 - September 06, 2016, 03:01 PM

And remember you are not alone Smiley
     Reply #6 - September 06, 2016, 03:07 PM

I have a wife - Whom I dearly love. When we met 24 years ago, we always felt that being muslim defines us. And she has always been encouraged when we pray together. I have told her about my lack of faith and she has told me that she still respects and loves me

Dear mclihah2,

I think that you are a very, very lucky man. The kind of doubt you have experienced, can and has broken many other relationships. Celebrate in the strength of yours. The things you have discovered are all well and true, but they don't nullify what you have experienced of a good family life. They will instead further inform and enrich the ones of yourself and your children.

I think that things look very bright for you, as long as you and your wife continue to communicate openly and work together well. Best of luck with everything!

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #7 - September 06, 2016, 09:24 PM

Thanks All - That's very kind and mature advice.

Hassan, Yes of course you may - I still want to remain anonymous, so I won't be following the group or you on Facebook - I would like to, but I'm a little too chicken at the moment.

I would like to see the responses however, so I may look you up anonymously
     Reply #8 - September 06, 2016, 09:47 PM

Hi Hassan,

I just found your book, "My ordeal with the Quran and God in the Quran"

Is there any chance I can get a digital version of that to read on a Kindle or iPad?

If you can hook me up with that, I'll gladly make that donation to Oxfam, or can pay you directly via Paypal or whatever.

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable having that book in paper form.
     Reply #9 - September 06, 2016, 11:55 PM

This is the Kindle version available on Amazon
     Reply #10 - September 06, 2016, 11:55 PM

My Ordeal with the Qur'an and God in the Qur'an https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F71WAYA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_aD1ZxbKQZ2FE1
     Reply #11 - September 07, 2016, 12:00 AM

You can also join the small Facebook group called:

My Ordeal with the Qur'an

where there are free downloads available in the FILES section
     Reply #12 - September 07, 2016, 08:46 AM

Thanks Hassan.

I just want to add, I appreciate your perspective - having read around a little.

The thing that worries me is that I don't want to be unduly influenced by the type of rhetoric that simply rejects Islam because they want to live a hedonistic lifestyle. Hence crude / crass behaviour. (I've seen some of that around on the forums) -  Although I can understand it somewhat..... When you suddenly get the realisation that there isn't an almighty watching you and balancing your good and bad, there is a natural tendency to say "f*** it - I'm doing what I want".

Like I say, I believe that the intention of Islam was to better mankind, and it actually has a nice justice system.

if you sin, you will be punished severely
    - but there need to be 4 witnesses
    - If any of the witnesses lie, then they will be dealt with by god
    - If you sincerely repent, and amend for the wrong doing then god will forgive you , and you don't need to be severely punished
    - If the victim forgives you then God prefers that

All works very nicely, if you have God fearing people that believe that the Quran is the word of God. Just doesn't work in a complex 21st century iPhone and internet enabled world. In our lifetime, we have moved from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy being a preposterous fantasy, to something not worthy of a child's toy.

My problem is, I don't believe that the Quran is the word of God. But I think that Muhammed was a very intelligent tactician.

I'm thinking I should be posting this on the Facebook page, but I don't want to associate these thoughts with my actual account.
     Reply #13 - September 07, 2016, 10:45 AM

I understand. It's a difficult journey and everyone is different. I hope things work out well for you. My advice would be just be yourself. You haven't changed. You are basically the same person as before. It just takes time to adjust mentally to your new perspectives.
     Reply #14 - September 07, 2016, 11:18 AM

My problem is, I don't believe that the Quran is the word of God. But I think that Muhammed was a very intelligent tactician.............

well we can believe in whatever we like ., but to say "Quran is NOT  the word of God".,  we need to define that "GOD"... we know what Quran is but we don't know what god is .,  If you believe everything that you see, you have ever seen or you have ever heard is from god., then yes Quran is the product of god  if  not the word of god..

Let me say this  to you dear mclihah2.,  THERE WAS NO MUHAMMAD OF QURAN.,   Muhammad of Quran or Muhammad of Hadith is a Multiple Imaginative characters of early Islamic stories .    It is puzzling to inquire who actually put this present Quran together as book?  This question was never asked ., in fact it was it was not allowed to ask..

And  same thing goes to OT ,NT and other faith  books/manuals  are nothing but stories for god or in the name of god., All these so called scriptures/religious manuals I read here  is all about that all powerful all knowing Gd that has total control on this universe and on  the biological species of this universe which has billions and billions of planet.  So yes if you believe in Allah/God then "QURAN IS INDEED PRODUCT OF GOD"

To me your problem seems to be NOT  Gd or presence or  absence of Gd dear mclihah2  but your problem seems to be Morality.,   Morality/absolute morality.,   .Moral values of human beings and how to live their lives...    

That is your problem mclihah2..

anyways let me watch these tubes..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAiag1deDw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSdGr4K4qLg

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #15 - November 05, 2016, 03:47 AM

Hey mclihah2,

Fellow agnostic Muslim here.  Thank you for sharing your story.  As someone who became an agnostic at 31, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one that was somewhat oblivious to so much up until then.

Not sure if you've joined the Agnostic Muslim group on facebook or not but if you would like to then you can always use a fake FB profile, like I do.

Anyway, hope things are going well for you Smiley

Skeptick Sal
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »