Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Scandinavia’s 1st female-run mosque

(Read 4833 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Scandinavia’s 1st female-run mosque
     OP - September 01, 2016, 09:39 PM

Scandinavia’s 1st female-run mosque opens with women imams leading prayers
    (Clicky for piccy!)
    History was made in Copenhagen last week, when Scandinavia’s first female-run mosque marked its official opening with Friday prayers led by two women imams. More than 60 women attended the mosque, set above a fast-food outlet in the city center and overseen by imams Sherin Khankan and Saliha Marie Fetteh.

Khankan sang the “adhan” (call to prayer) and made an opening speech, and Fetteh delivered the khutbah, or sermon, on the theme of “Women and Islam in a modern world.” Rows of women knelt and touched their foreheads to the ground — a rare sight, given women are often encouraged to pray at home or privately, or relegated to small, uninviting women’s sections at mosques.

The Mariam mosque opened informally in February, and has since hosted five weddings (including some inter-religious unions) and a couple of divorces, one of which was officiated after prayers on Friday. Their own six-page marriage charter has four key principles: polygamy is not an option; women have the right to divorce; a marriage will be annulled if psychological or physical violence is committed; and, in the event of divorce, women will have equal rights over any children. One of the mosque’s main objectives, said Khankan, was “to challenge patriarchal structures within religious institutions.”

(Clicky for piccy!)
    Imam at the Mariam mosque, Saliha Marie Fetteh. (Facebook)

The mosque also wanted to challenge “patriarchal interpretations” of the Quran and promote Islamic progressive values. Although Khankan’s plan to become an imam and open a mosque was met with some resistance from those close to her, it did not come from her parents. “My father is a feminist icon. I wouldn’t now be talking about female imams without my father, who always told me I could do anything,” she said. Her Muslim father is a refugee from Syria who came to Denmark after being imprisoned and tortured for his opposition to the regime

“We represent a modernist, spiritual approach to Islam,” said Khankan of the initiative. “We are seeking to create an alternative voice, without delegitimizing others. We want the Mariam mosque to be a place where everyone can come, and we can flourish together. What happens in a mosque goes way beyond the mosque itself — it affects society.”

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2016/08/29/scandinavias-1st-female-run-mosque-opens-with-women-imams-leading-prayers/
  • Scandinavia?s 1st female-run mosque
     Reply #1 - September 07, 2016, 02:31 PM

Are women allowed to bring their young sons there?  What happens when they grow up. 

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #2 - September 07, 2016, 02:44 PM

Are women allowed to bring their young sons there? What happens when they grow up.  

well the kids will learn about Quran , learn about hadith.,  Learn some stories from the Islamic scriptures on Prophets and their life .....lifestyles  etc..etc...

And .. and when they grow up they read more in books and on internet    after that they will become good sons, good membranes... good fabric....  and good members  of the society ..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #3 - September 07, 2016, 02:49 PM

Are women allowed to bring their young sons there?  What happens when they grow up.  

Good question Bee.  I can only assume that this wasn't done to exclude men. but provide a space for women.  

Here's another example in China, where the mosques have existed for centuries :

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35629565
    Why does China have women-only mosques?
    23 February 2016

In China’s Yellow River Valley, where the Song Dynasty had its capital 1,000 years ago, is a surprising sect of Muslims that allow female prayer leaders and female imams. In Kaifeng, the capital of Henan province, are women-only mosques, the main one of which is directly across from the men’s mosque in an alley filled with food stalls. According to the BBC, the mosques have been a central part of Islamic practice in this part of China for a long time.

The prayer leader of the main women’s mosque, Guo Jingfang, told the BBC in an interview that the unique practice of women prayer leaders and female mosques were a Chinese tradition, dating to a revival of Islamic culture in the 16th century when male leaders of the religion realized how important women could be preserving and transmitting the religion. Female schools came first, followed by dedicated mosques...........

Reply #4 - September 07, 2016, 11:38 PM

But the men and boys go to a separate mosque.  So are they all learning the same? 

If Saudi women went to their own women only mosques then would there be change in their society? 

Can islam in China  and this Scandinavian society be compared with other muslim societies in different countries that tend to exclude women from the mosques, 

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #5 - September 08, 2016, 12:56 AM

Well, at the moment it's still segregation. But at least it's a start!
     Reply #6 - September 08, 2016, 01:00 AM

Bee, I just posted both examples as I thought it was interesting.  I wasn't claiming anything. I don't really know what goes on in them.   Here is an excerpt from the danish imam, who seems to believe it affects society (positively I guess):

We want the Mariam mosque to be a place where everyone can come, and we can flourish together. What happens in a mosque goes way beyond the mosque itself — it affects society.

She says ALL are welcome, so maybe some brave men will start attending at least in the West. 

The chinese women had no problem with the male journalists being in their mosque.  But maybe others in more conservative countries might not.

About your other questions these are just my guesses:

But the men and boys go to a separate mosque.  So are they all learning the same?
    I have no idea, Bee.   Do all male mosques learn exactly the same ?  Some muslims have never heard extreme views expressed in the mosques they go to, while others have..

If Saudi women went to their own women only mosques then would there be change in their society? 
    I am not holding my breath, but if it did, it would mean some significant change had already happened, don't you think ?

Can islam in China  and this Scandinavian society be compared with other muslim societies in different countries that tend to exclude women from the mosques,
    No, but someone has to start somewhere, sometime.

I just googled "all female mosque" and got this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Mosque_of_America
    The Women's Mosque of America is a women's mosque based in Los Angeles, California. Opened in 2015, it is located in a multifaith cultural center in the Pico-Union district.[1] It is the first female-only mosque in the United States.[2]
    The Women's Mosque opened its doors on January 30, 2015. At the inaugural Jumu'ah, the khutbah was delivered by Edina Lekovic. The mosque holds a women-only Jumu'ah once a month and hosts co-ed educational programs.[3] Women are not required to wear headscarves at the mosque.[4]
    The mosque's co-presidents are attorney Sana Muttalib and filmmaker M. Hasna Maznavi.[3] The board of directors has six members and includes Lekovic, filmmaker Nia Malika Dixon, Zaiba Omar, Mahin Ibrahim, and Logan Siler.[2]

No more questions please Bee, to me at least  Wink, as I am not an expert on mosques either male or female, and your googling is as good as mine   Afro
     Reply #7 - September 08, 2016, 09:48 AM

well its deffo a step in the right direction!

take the shackles off my feet so I can dance......
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »