Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Starting my own charity/group idek wut to do??

(Read 3918 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Starting my own charity/group idek wut to do??
     OP - August 11, 2016, 11:13 AM

Hey there, i haven't posted on here for a while!

My background: I have 3 years experience in media, setting up events and projects. I come from a very entrepreneurial family so i have experience in sales, client managment, website management, social media, product development, e-commerce, trademarking etc. Primarily from a strict ahle sunni jamat group up north. In closet but will be out of closet very soon.

The charity/political group/organisation?
    This charity is solely based on raising funds, to then fund and help other exmuslims or muslim reformists. We would provide financial aid to people seeking asylum, displaced exmuslims/gay muslims/reformists and literature or art that promotes the reform or critique of islam.

I reckon, if we had a subscription of someone donating 50p per month to the charity, we'd only need 3000 subscribers. 50p isn't a lot of money and by running with that im sure we'd be able to reach a goal of 3000.

The main basis for this group is to confront both radical and moderate islam, to educate and promote the idea for reform. We would be directly targeting major groups like the ahle sunni jamat mosques in the uk as there has been a sharp rise of religious mafia like tendancies from them.

This is something that i want to grow within the uk and then branch out internationally.

I have no clue if this is a charity or a political organisation. What do you guys think?
    Am i being stupid and should i just stop where i am now?
    The main reason why i haven't branched out and talked to other exmuslim groups is because this is something that might be dangerous. I don't want to taint any other groups.

"those who will, and then those who actually will"
     Reply #1 - August 11, 2016, 12:56 PM

Check your government website and resources for the requirements for charities.   You might also want to be prepared for any legal hurdles and lawsuits especially if you are targeting specific groups. 

I know Canada has very specific requirements for charities and they are not allowed to participate in "political activities"and cannot donate funds to any other charities other than registered Canadian charities.  (Oddly some mosques forget to file their tax returns and lose their charitable status). 

I would suggest you first support some already good charity that is helping people such as poor families or victims of domestic violence.  You might have their flyers translated into different languages and put around for the muslim community to have access or help with guest speakers from these organizations.    Some people are isolated and have no idea of their rights. 

For these muslim mafia types, they are already breaking existing laws so let law enforcement deal with it.  People are afraid to report it then if there exists some victim assistance charity them offer them your services. 

What about reporting on what goes on in sharia courts?  I have read that Britain has many.  Canada flatly denied these type of courts with the official ruling that these would exploit women and deny them their rights.  You can research and write articles and have them published. 

I do not feel that you should be asking for money until you have a clear mission.  Use your own resources until you have a clear plan. Start small and then grow when you met other like minded people.  Sending emails and making phone calls to government officials and police just take your time not money. 

Be careful and do not break any laws.  No point in getting yourself in trouble. 

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #2 - August 11, 2016, 01:30 PM

Donations need to cover all costs, including wages, overhead, promotion, etc. £1,500 per month doesn't do anything.

You can look up some charities' financial statements to get a sense of the breakdown of costs.
     Reply #3 - August 11, 2016, 09:04 PM

Some charities are run entirely by volunteers.  They might get donations in goods.  If you are seeing it as a career or a way to make a wage for yourself, forget it. 

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #4 - August 11, 2016, 10:50 PM

Everyone needs to make a living. Charity workers put a lot of effort into what they do and have the right to be paid. Not everyone can afford to volunteer, even many of those who wish they could.

Besides, even a charity run by volunteers has costs to cover. There's no charity that can dedicate 100% of its donations to its cause.
     Reply #5 - August 12, 2016, 09:40 AM

The main basis for this group is to confront both radical and moderate islam, to educate and promote the idea for reform.

Another major obstacle would be ideological. What do you mean by reform? Would you refer to yourself as 'Muslim' and a 'Muslim organisation'?

Your idea of moderate could be my idea of extreme.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »