Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Black Lives Matter in UK

(Read 19114 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Black Lives Matter in UK
     OP - August 06, 2016, 08:06 PM

There is a crisis in the UK as BLACK people and BROWN people are being brutally subjugated by the WHITE institutions of power and hatred. Let's throw Muslims in there too (even though it's not an ethnicity) to give our cause legitimacy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36985740/why-has-black-lives-matter-come-to-the-uk-your-questions-answered

Please help highlight the cause via civil disobedience.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #1 - August 07, 2016, 09:37 PM

ALL lives matter..... Everywhere!

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #2 - August 07, 2016, 09:43 PM

I agree that ones ethnicity or skin colour must not be the determiner of how one is valued.

But...in the UK....has there been cases of black people being specifically targeted because of their skin colour or are other socio-economic factors involved which are not unique to the black community?

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #3 - August 07, 2016, 10:29 PM

I agree that there has been cases of black people specifically targeted because of their skin colour and so..yes...of course black lives do matter, as do white lives and brown lives.
    We're all created equal so wouldn't it have been more appropriate to have called the movement Black Lives Also Matter?   Huh?

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #4 - August 07, 2016, 11:43 PM

I agree that there has been cases of black people specifically targeted because of their skin colour and so..yes...of course black lives do matter, as do white lives and brown lives.
    We're all created equal so wouldn't it have been more appropriate to have called the movement Black Lives Also Matter?   Huh?

Hello Maya  glad to read you.,  did you had a good trip to middle east?

So  the only word that is missing there is  "Also"  well  i read such  news  along with this news so often..  with pictures like these

https://news.vice.com/article/another-albino-child-is-murdered-and-mutilated-in-tanzania   2015
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/07/africa/africa-albino-hunted-bones-malawi/  2016
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1215949/The-albino-tribe-butchered-feed-gruesome-trade-magical-body-parts.html
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/10/16/east-african-witch-doctors-are-hunting-albino-children-to-amputate-their-limbs-and-turn-them-into-magic-potions/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gVqfk9e9NA

well we can add another unfortunate group and many more such minority groups across the globe in to that  Black Lives Also Matter ..  

And ..and  That is also another  very good  reason to reject the hypothesis of  allah  god  voodoo doll  from all faiths  and   why allah  god  voodoo doll  whatever of human imagination  is a helpless piece of log that is of no use to many innocent folks that suffer due to human stupidity and brutality across all faiths..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #5 - August 08, 2016, 09:21 AM

ALL lives matter..... Everywhere!

We're all created equal so wouldn't it have been more appropriate to have called the movement Black Lives Also Matter?   Huh?

I dont know about UK but If we are talking about US, A black person is more likely to get harrased,beaten,arrested or even shot to death by police than whites in US.  people dont come out in solidarity movement to protest if they feel they are more targeted discriminately than any race. Saying that "All Lives Matter" would only mean two things; either you are ignorant of this issue or you are in denial. Black lives Matter does not mean they are suggessting that no one else lives matter but theirs only, its simply asking that they deserve an equal treatment and justice as the other communities do.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #6 - August 08, 2016, 10:46 AM

I would say Maya was definitely referring to the UK as that is what the OP stated...the BLM has made some leeway recently, even supporting idiots like Mark Duggan. Read the article. it's interesting.

What you say raises the question, whilst it is needed to raise awareness of police brutality there seems to be a sense of denial and arrogance amongst certain members (see how the idiots acted in Sanders address as well as disrupting Milo) the BLM when it comes to issues within black communities and blaming others for the problems inherent therein. Take Mr Duggan who by all accounts was a thug gangster wannabe that carried a gun which is a huge thing in the UK. I remember seeing the BLM protesting in Canary Wharf - you know that hot bed of racism - attempting to block the tube station and shouting 'hands out; don't shoot' and other slogans.

This is similar to the Muslim community - blame western imperialism and foreign policy in general rather than 'problems within the community'. It's them not us is the idea.

Saying all lives matter is not denying that injustice doesn't exist, but admitting that injustice exists in ALL communities but it is an affirmative statement rather than one marred by victimhood.  All communities suffer in some way and seeing yourself apart is not the best way to go - as was stated 'Black Lives ALSO Matter' or 'Black Lies Matter too' would be best to go rather that claim exclusivity/special privilige which may not have been the intention but, going by the actions of some idiots, is how it comes across.

Gypsy lives matter.
    Polish lives matter
    Christian lives matter
    Irish lives matter
    Hispanic lives matter
    Black lives matter
    Blue lives matter
    Ahmadi lives matter
    Underclass lives matter
    Artificial lives matter
    Farmers lives matter
    White teenage girls from deprived areas but used as prostitutes lives matter

The list is endless and one can only conclude that ALL lives matter and therefore we MUST as a society rationally, calmly discuss the issues and resolve them together. This is enver easy but progress never is.

Reply #7 - August 08, 2016, 11:25 AM

If you are talking about the situation in UK then leave me out of this as that's not my focus of argument here as i don't really know much about it but if we are talking about BLM issues in US then you are either ignorant of it or in denial as well. 

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #8 - August 08, 2016, 11:31 AM

There is a crisis in the UK as BLACK people and BROWN people are being brutally subjugated by the WHITE institutions of power and hatred. Let's throw Muslims in there too (even though it's not an ethnicity) to give our cause legitimacy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36985740/why-has-black-lives-matter-come-to-the-uk-your-questions-answered

Please help highlight the cause via civil disobedience.

So explain to me, what all your snark is supposed to illuminate and give insight to, in this story?

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #9 - August 08, 2016, 11:35 AM

The list is endless and one can only conclude that ALL lives matter and therefore we MUST as a society rationally, calmly discuss the issues and resolve them together. This is enver easy but progress never is.

How is protest and civil disobedience not a part of free societal discourse? The point is to raise awareness, which clearly it has succeeded in. Is your problem with the movement the fact that they used these tools, or is it nothing more than some sort of semantic nitpicking that I won't even bother arguing due to its inanity?

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #10 - August 08, 2016, 12:20 PM

I'm betting its the latter. I'm starting to notice that he likes to twist things into semantic disputes just to avoid losing argument about the essence which i find it to be pointless and a waste of time.

Reply #11 - August 08, 2016, 02:00 PM

Well when you mix faith/ religion with racism then red flags fly in the brain..

here is another side of such  classic news .. and that is From Australia

A 31-year-old man appeared in an Australian court on Sunday charged with planning a terror attack, following a series of counter-terrorism police raids.

Phillip Galea was charged with acts done in preparation for a terrorist act and collecting or making documents likely to facilitate a terrorist act, after being arrested in police raids in Melbourne on Saturday. Police did not give details of the target but said it was in the southern state of Victoria.

“I will be fighting these charges and I believe they are a conspiracy against the patriot movement,” Galea told a Melbourne Magistrates’ Court hearing during in a brief appearance on Sunday according to the Australian Associated Press. Galea had links to far-right organizations Reclaim Australia and True Blue Crew. Reclaim Australia posted on Facebook that it had no links to the arrested man and that it “always denounced violence”.

Far-right political parties opposed to Islam and Asian immigration are on the rise in Australia. Reclaim Australia and True Blue Crew, which are not political parties, have previously been involved in violent clashes with pro-immigration groups at rallies in Melbourne.

RECLAIM AUSTRALIA .,  well that is the news the hero you see above wants to save Australia from Immigrants and Native Australian Aborigines for Australian PATRIOTS

Reply #12 - August 08, 2016, 02:39 PM

Australian Mr.  Bill Leak  and his cartoons..

Bill Leak (born Desmond Robert Leak, 1956) is a cartoonist for the Australian.
    Leak has entered the Archibald Prize at least 13 times, and was hung 11 times. These included portraits of Don Bradman in 1989, Malcolm Turnbull in 1994, Graham Richardson in 1995, Tex Perkins in 1997, Gough Whitlam in 1998, Sir Les Patterson in 2000 and Robert Hughes in 2001. He won the Packing Room Prize twice (for Tex Perkins and Sir Les Patterson) and also won the People's Choice Award for Malcolm Turnbull. In addition two paintings of him by other artists have also won the People's Choice Award: a painting by Josonia Palaitis in 1995, and one by Esther Erlich in 2000. He "is widely regarded by good judges as the best painter never to have won the Archibald prize, an omission many of them regard as one of the greatest travesties of Australian art".[1]  He was interviewed in the 2005 Peter Berner documentary about the Archibald Prize called Loaded Brush. That year he published his first novel, Heart Cancer. On 18 October 2008 he sustained serious head injuries in a fall and, while his outlook was initially poor, he recovered physically.[1]

well  some of his cartoons are funny but I wonder whether some one checked his head ....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37006692
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/another-twitter-feed-tantrum-about-my-cartoons/news-story/e4a2db48aa81424c6daf54a4497330e6

Reply #13 - August 08, 2016, 02:39 PM

How is protest and civil disobedience not a part of free societal discourse? The point is to raise awareness, which clearly it has succeeded in. Is your problem with the movement the fact that they used these tools, or is it nothing more than some sort of semantic nitpicking that I won't even bother arguing due to its inanity?

'free societal discourse'? That's not how I would describe stopping trams in the street causing inconvenience to people who have little to nothing to do with the issue and disrupting the meetings of those who actually sympathize with your views. There is such a thing as 'bad publicity'.

You don't need to argue. Relax.

If you are talking about the situation in UK then leave me out of this as that's not my focus of argument here as i don't really know much about it but if we are talking about BLM issues in US then you are either ignorant of it or in denial as well.  

How to did you arrive at that conclusion Mr Wise?

Reply #14 - August 08, 2016, 03:29 PM

I'm betting its the latter. I'm starting to notice that he likes to twist things into semantic disputes just to avoid losing argument about the essence which i find it to be pointless and a waste of time.

Illuminate on this further please since you know me so well. Unlike Mr Cato who likes to call people (Jedi and Maya) 'ignorant' and 'in denial' for seemingly possessing different opinions.  Great argument. Next thing you know you'll claim I'm a BIGOT and lack LOGICAL SOUNDNESS. But if you're intent in throwing mud then do it via PM or open a folder in the rant area or a one-on-one match (though I wouldn't waste my time) rather than litter the thread.  Afro

Reply #15 - August 08, 2016, 03:39 PM

Here we go with the tantrums Roll Eyes

Reply #16 - August 08, 2016, 07:54 PM

'free societal discourse'? That's not how I would describe stopping trams in the street causing inconvenience to people who have little to nothing to do with the issue and disrupting the meetings of those who actually sympathize with your views. There is such a thing as 'bad publicity'.

You don't need to argue. Relax.

There is a problem. BLM used non-violent tools at their disposal to raise awareness of the problem. Your annoyance seems to me rather misplaced.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #17 - August 09, 2016, 11:48 AM

As long as it's non-violent it's ok isn't it? For got that rule.

Let me put it this way, since you are very well versed in the actions and tactics of the BLM, are there anything they've done to raise awareness that you have qualms with?

Reply #18 - August 09, 2016, 06:57 PM

If you're attempting to push me into making a total defense of every single thing anyone in the Black Lives Matter movement has done, then sorry I'm not going to take the bait.

However, to me it seems remarkably obvious that race relations are a major problem, and the Black Lives Matter movement is looking to further the discourse, which is something that needs to be done. Annoying people is often the cost of such social activism.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #19 - August 10, 2016, 04:21 AM

Waking people up to what has been done to marginalize a population is in my opinion a very good thing.

I think that BLM, if successful in waking people up to recognize this marginalization (most seem to think it doesn´t exist here), has a very real potential in peeling back the lid on a can of worms that affects more than just one community.  The oppression and profiling are apparent, and spreading awareness of that is great. But the insidious and subtle discrimination and harmful media language are the real culprits in perpetuating horrible things in this culture.

For instance, I am tired of hearing about how parents of disabled children ¨were overwhelmed¨ and we should thus have sympathy for them when they kill or attempt to kill their children. The media perpetuates this burden myth and the stigma of disability and no one seems to notice. The sympathy goes to the murderer, and the child is not even presented as a person with a right to life.

I read bullshit like this and I pray something changes before my kid starts reading more than comics. How is he supposed to think about himself, when people with special needs are presented without right to life?

The media plays the same game with people of color, with the same results. You know it, and I know it.

The police are killing autistic folk because they do not behave as the police expect them to. This should not be an invitation to fire. Same with anyone else. Police training should be pertinent to the communities they serve. The rest of us have never been through training, we do not know what to expect when we are faced with armed men, and we might not even think clearly in such a circumstance. We are not conditioned. They ARE. Let´s question that conditioning.

I have dealt intimately with the police and criminal justice system here, with mostly positive results. The way I have been treated with hijab vs. without hijab is profoundly different. There is no excuse for that. None. I owe everything to the police. I send a certain department a yearly Christmas card thanking them. But that does not mean that I give them a free pass. Would they want one?  I hope not.

I am not going to throw the movement out because of some who went too far. I have too much hope for it. I am not going to drown out their voices with an insistence that so and so be included, because there is a specific issue here that needs to be heard. I will only benefit from a good hard look at policies and attitudes that discriminate.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #20 - August 10, 2016, 09:48 AM

For instance, I am tired of hearing about how parents of disabled children ¨were overwhelmed¨ and we should thus have sympathy for them when they kill or attempt to kill their children. The media perpetuates this burden myth and the stigma of disability and no one seems to notice. The sympathy goes to the murderer, and the child is not even presented as a person with a right to life.

I have no words for this. Could you give me some examples of this behaviour three? I've seen a lot of sympathy for aborting deformed fetus / sympathy for parents with disabled children, but I have never heard of... supporting the killing of disabled children.

Also, I have asked many questions to you three... thanks for always answering Wink
     Reply #21 - August 10, 2016, 10:58 AM

Oh, no problem, it is good for me to have questions asked of me. Something I rarely experience IRL.

https://rewire.news/article/2015/05/18/parents-kill-disabled-children-must-hold-society-responsible/

You can click links in that article for further information on each case.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #22 - August 10, 2016, 02:54 PM

If you're attempting to push me into making a total defense of every single thing anyone in the Black Lives Matter movement has done, then sorry I'm not going to take the bait.

However, to me it seems remarkably obvious that race relations are a major problem, and the Black Lives Matter movement is looking to further the discourse, which is something that needs to be done. Annoying people is often the cost of such social activism.

Nobody is baiting you - stop being so paranoid. If you have no intention to have your views/opinions questioned then don't be surprised. Also, please don't PM me nonsense with homophobic slurs in such a way that it appears that I wrote it. Immature.

It is a mark of critical thinking to look at the positives AND the negatives of any movement or ideology irrespective of how close to home it may be to you. Nobody has any problem with criticising Muslims when an attack occurs and questioning what they are doing within their communities to police such issues OR if criticizing the validity of a particular protest or any other form of social activism.

Questioning a movement or ideology as well as their practices in not devaluing the movement per se nor does it deligitimise their cause; it is treating them exactly the same way as other groups.

Waking people up to what has been done to marginalize a population is in my opinion a very good thing.

I think that BLM, if successful in waking people up to recognize this marginalization (most seem to think it doesn´t exist here), has a very real potential in peeling back the lid on a can of worms that affects more than just one community.  The oppression and profiling are apparent, and spreading awareness of that is great. But the insidious and subtle discrimination and harmful media language are the real culprits in perpetuating horrible things in this culture.

I read bullshit like this and I pray something changes before my kid starts reading more than comics. How is he supposed to think about himself, when people with special needs are presented without right to life?

The media plays the same game with people of color, with the same results. You know it, and I know it.

The police are killing autistic folk because they do not behave as the police expect them to. This should not be an invitation to fire. Same with anyone else. Police training should be pertinent to the communities they serve. The rest of us have never been through training, we do not know what to expect when we are faced with armed men, and we might not even think clearly in such a circumstance. We are not conditioned. They ARE. Let´s question that conditioning.

I have dealt intimately with the police and criminal justice system here, with mostly positive results. The way I have been treated with hijab vs. without hijab is profoundly different. There is no excuse for that. None. I owe everything to the police. I send a certain department a yearly Christmas card thanking them. But that does not mean that I give them a free pass. Would they want one?  I hope not.

I am not going to throw the movement out because of some who went too far. I have too much hope for it. I am not going to drown out their voices with an insistence that so and so be included, because there is a specific issue here that needs to be heard. I will only benefit from a good hard look at policies and attitudes that discriminate.

Great link there between prejudice towards the disabled community. Whilst the activism, sometimes violent in itself and self-aggrandizing ('shut down' meetings etc), is warranted given the US legacy of race relations but how it is exported to the UK is a rather curious development. The black lives matter in the UK has latched on to 'brown lives matter' and 'refugees lives matter' too.

Reply #23 - August 10, 2016, 05:22 PM

The tactics and strategies used by the Black Lives Matter movement have not even begun to come close to undoing the deliberate, systemic, and sustained oppression, marginalization, stigmatization, and dehumanization of People of Color, particularly Africans and the African diaspora, that has been a cornerstone of western civilization for over 4 centuries. They haven't come even remotely close.

Though institutional exploitation in the form of slavery, as it has been known historically, has become a thing of the past, the societal mindset necessary for perpetuating such an injustice has far from vanished. Stopping these things from being legally enshrined in the form of policy is a comparatively recent development that did not come about by chance; raising awareness is a necessary, and relatively restrained next step.

The goal of equality is far from reached. Given the scope of the problem, that is not surprising.

That’s not victimhood. It’s reality.

Any movement would do well to learn from history and take the opinions and advice of vested parties and real allies into consideration. Commenting from the sidelines and nitpicking about how things should fit into pretty little boxes for the sake of discussion is a luxury that adds little value.
     Reply #24 - August 10, 2016, 05:33 PM

Any movement would do well to learn from history and take the opinions and advice of vested parties and real allies into consideration. Commenting from the sidelines and nitpicking about how things should fit into pretty little boxes for the sake of discussion is a luxury that adds little value.

Rest assured,some of those who are criticizing are those that have themselves endured the racism, institutionalized or other, you speak of or who have themselves been involved in similar cases. This is not a 'luxury' as you put it but a valid observation that has to and can be made. Everything on this forum is for the sake of discussion and trying to invalidate or silence anothers voice since it doesn't fit your world view is disingenuous. You don't know the story or history of those offering their opinion - which is what these forums are for - just as those offering the critiques don't fully know the story and history of those being critiqued.

Real allies does not been people that just nod their heads at everything you do. Challenge everything. Question everything. Acknowledge the progress that's been made and work rationally to make further progress. The idiots are those that state 'there is no racism in America' or try to downplay or excuse instances of police brutality. On the other hand, there have been activists that have behaved in the most disrespectful manner and come across as childish to the point were some people question the meaning/intention of 'black lives matter'. There's a reason why people have stated 'blue lives matter' or 'all lives matter' in reaction to some of the incidents, which is were much of the discussion stems.

Again: 

Questioning a movement or ideology as well as their practices in not devaluing the movement per se nor does it deligitimise their cause; it is treating them exactly the same way as other groups.

Reply #25 - August 10, 2016, 05:34 PM

Though institutional exploitation has become a thing of the past

I disagree with you there. It hasn't been eliminated; it's just been reformulated. A prime example is the prison industrial complex. The privatization of prisons along with the war on drugs has led to the mass incarceration of mostly Black people for mostly petty, nonviolent crimes, where they are forced to labour for cents per hour. A lot of the products we use today are made in prisons. It's slavery under a different guise.
     Reply #26 - August 10, 2016, 05:37 PM

I disagree with you there. It hasn't been eliminated; it's just been reformulated. A prime example is the prison industrial complex. The privatization of prisons along with the war on drugs has led to the mass incarceration of mostly Black people for mostly petty, nonviolent crimes, where they are forced to labour for cents on the hour. A lot of the products we use today are made in prisons. It's slavery under a different guise.

I completely agree with you there. I could have used the term "slavery" since that is specifically what I was referring to. I'll update my post.
     Reply #27 - August 10, 2016, 05:38 PM

Unfortunately, slavery has increased recently or 'modern slavery' has been invented to distinguish between 'historical' slavery. This is a huge issue and unfortunately the black incarceration rate is a form of this as you pointed out.

Reply #28 - August 10, 2016, 05:50 PM

It is a mark of critical thinking to look at the positives AND the negatives of any movement or ideology irrespective of how close to home it may be to you. Nobody has any problem with criticising Muslims when an attack occurs and questioning what they are doing within their communities to police such issues OR if criticizing the validity of a particular protest or any other form of social activism.

No it is the mark of inanity for a condescending keyboard bully on the forum to talk down on a legitimate social justice movement that are using the right tactics and strategies to draw awareness just so that he can drag people into a semantic bullshit argument then resort to ad hominem attacks or throw cheap sarcastic shots if one calls out his bullshit or rather simply disagree with him. Quit all these sophistry bullshit,Professor or Mr. A-Level Political Science Teacher or whatever you address yourself just to hype yourself up

Reply #29 - August 10, 2016, 05:57 PM

Illuminate on this further please since you know me so well. Unlike Mr Cato who likes to call people (Jedi and Maya) 'ignorant' and 'in denial' for seemingly possessing different opinions.  Great argument. Next thing you know you'll claim I'm a BIGOT and lack LOGICAL SOUNDNESS. But if you're intent in throwing mud then do it via PM or open a folder in the rant area or a one-on-one match (though I wouldn't waste my time) rather than litter the thread.  Afro

And guess whose PM i saw on my inbox

ALL LIVES MATTER

ALL LIVES MATTER

ALL LIVES MATTER

gay

I'm starting to love this guy Cheesy

• 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »