Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: I make hats for the homeless

(Read 5392 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I make hats for the homeless
     OP - July 13, 2016, 02:35 PM

I knit hats for the homeless.  Last week I made 7 hats.  The churchy lady gave me more yarn and now I will make some more.

"I am sorry you are homeless.  Here is a hat".  Is this activity somewhat useful to homeless people?

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #1 - July 13, 2016, 02:42 PM

A hat over their head instead of a roof.

Not sure how that is going to improve their situation.

Reply #2 - July 13, 2016, 04:46 PM

It's a charity, it's the thought that counts. Not everyone has a lot of money to spare...

Bee, it's a nice gesture. When it comes to being useful.. maybe donating practical stuff (like homecooked meal, used clothes, etc) are better.
     Reply #3 - July 13, 2016, 08:34 PM

I bet they'd prefer some moola.

but at least you're doing something to help em.
     Reply #4 - July 13, 2016, 10:04 PM

A hat over their head instead of a roof.

Not sure how that is going to improve their situation.

Of course it won't change the fact they're homeless, for goodness sake! But I'm sure it would make a world of difference to the immediate situation of at least one or two of them. It's a gesture that shows somebody cares. That hat will have taken a lot of time to make. Each time it's worn, it will be a reminder for the wearer that someone went to a lot of effort to make, and give them that gift.

As Helaine said, we're not all made of money.

Our neighbour, when she moved in, had no money. Ok, obviously not homeless, but certainly skint. She knitted a hat, mittens and arm warmers as a present for my wife. They're now my wife's first choice over the gloves she's bought

Bee, please keep up the good work! Afro
     Reply #5 - July 13, 2016, 10:43 PM

Who said to build them a house...seriously

Im sure It takes money to.knit a hat as well.

Still not sure if it is helpful. They definitely need more practical support than being reminded that someone cares about their situation, when they will be homeless with or without hat.

It would be more practical to sell them to other people and raise money.

Well, there is my advice. Take it or leave it.

Reply #6 - July 13, 2016, 10:44 PM

A blanket might be more useful?
     Reply #7 - July 13, 2016, 11:35 PM

It depends on the weather. If it is very cold then a hat is very useful. Especially ones that effectively cover the ears and keep them warm. It can be useful in cases of extreme heat too depending on the type of hat. They can be useful depending on material and design for rain too. So, yes. I think what you are doing is wonderful and you are helping in whatever way you are able to. A lot of times, knowing that someone gives a shit about their life helps some people endure it better.

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

http://sinofgreed.wordpress.com/
     Reply #8 - July 13, 2016, 11:51 PM

I knit hats for the homeless.  Last week I made 7 hats.  The churchy lady gave me more yarn and now I will make some more.

"I am sorry you are homeless.  Here is a hat".  Is this activity somewhat useful to homeless people?

You should look into clothing runs and other charity organizations, think salvation army, to see what they need rather than what you think they need. You have a skill set that could be used in a more productive way such as repairs on donated clothing. Volunteer your time and skill not the product of an assumption of "needs".

Reply #9 - July 14, 2016, 12:00 AM

As the saying goes, anything helps. Assumptions or more pro-active means.

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

http://sinofgreed.wordpress.com/
     Reply #10 - July 14, 2016, 02:42 AM

When I was a homeless kid the winter winds were killing me. I would have loved a hat. An old man gave me some earmuffs and it kept the frostbite from my ears.
    If you get tired of hats you could also make bags. Having a bag that you can keep tied to yourself or even to separate things inside your larger bag is also very helpful.
    If winters get bad where you live you could make super long scarves (6-8 feet) and show people how to wrap them bandolier style. That keeps you warmer than most things worn underneath a jacket and it fits all sizes.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #11 - July 14, 2016, 09:54 AM

I am sure it is a useful activity. Every little thing can help, and I am glad that you are doing it and know that it will be appreciated.  far away hug

Have you ever looked into more direct opportunities for involvement in helping the homeless? If you are in Canada as it seems, maybe volunteer with the Lookout Society? http://lookoutsociety.ca/

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #12 - July 14, 2016, 01:40 PM

I feel so helpless in the face of suffering sometimes.  These are many good ideas here.  I am with a group that does many activities. Some make hats, blankets, bags and other items.  Directly helping people is difficult because of communication problems.  So i suppose what I can do in the background is good.

Can I feel angry or upset with a god or a humanity that seems to blame suffering on the victims?  I think this is part of my pain.  There is enough suffering in the world without wars just famine, floods, earthquakes, sunami, disease. 

Reply #13 - July 14, 2016, 02:07 PM

Can I feel angry or upset with a god or a humanity that seems to blame suffering on the victims?

As for the former, obviously as an atheist I feel it's a waste of time to bring god into it. For the latter though, I'm right there with you sister.  Cry

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #14 - July 14, 2016, 08:43 PM

With or without god, I hate it when people blame homelessness on the homeless.  Many of them were just like you and me.  They had family and jobs and then something happened. 

Reply #15 - July 14, 2016, 09:15 PM

Bee, this is true. Another alarmingly sad fact is that many are ex armed forces, who have fought for our countries, and who have seen and experienced atrocities that most of us cannot even begin to imagine, never mind understand or empathise with. They're then thrust back into "normal" society, many unable to readjust to being a civilian again, suffering PTSD and end up homeless. What kind of thanks and appreciation is that, for what they did for us?

What you're doing is great, and I hope it inspires many who read this thread and who you talk to about what you do. I'll from time to time (not as much as I should) stop and chat with people who are sat outside shops or by cash machines, so they at least have someone who doesn't just look the other way or pretend to be oh so busy on their phone, instead of giving them so much a smile.

I may have said this earlier, but will repeat it if I did: Keep up the good work, Bee Smiley
     Reply #16 - July 14, 2016, 10:40 PM

I hope you, bee, didn't take my comment as negative. Just pointing out that your skill could be utilized in a more productive way. If you want to help people you should help organizations with their needs. At times organizations have a higher priority for certain items than we would think.
     Reply #17 - July 15, 2016, 02:34 PM

I knit hats for the homeless.  Last week I made 7 hats.  The churchy lady gave me more yarn and now I will make some more.

"I am sorry you are homeless.  Here is a hat".  Is this activity somewhat useful to homeless people?

good.. good you are very nice person Bee........

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #18 - July 15, 2016, 07:39 PM

I am not angry with anyone here.  I just feel frustrated.

I think the giving out of hats and maybe hot coffee is done by the workers just to start some conversations with people to let them know they are there to help. 

I got some more yarn today.  I picked up two balls of grey because it was one sale.  I thought it was a good deal.  At the cash out the price was wrong so I complained and made them go back and check the shelf.  So it turns out I got one ball for free because of the pricing policy. 

I was told to make hats for adults that are grey, dark blue, black, or brown and just plain.  I got a larger loom to make MAN HATS.  These are not too fancy.  Some ladies have been making hats for children, babies and women but not too many for men.  So I decided to make some for men. 

Reply #19 - July 15, 2016, 07:55 PM

I am not angry with anyone here.  I just feel frustrated.

who said that you are angry  dear Bee?     give me name of that person who aid that to you .. i will beat him up... finmad

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #20 - December 21, 2016, 04:15 PM

as a currently homeless student in a very hot country  Smiley , who never asked or got charity as i live with the minimum i have and work as i can .
        to be honest i do think that it is the thought that count , just the act of kindness would make my heart warm (chances are as i cant keep a lot of stuff i will through it away soon ) but it will give me faith in humanity which am struggling soooo hard to believe in considering my (surrounding) .
      every one gives as he can ( not every one have a lot to spare nor time nor ideas about how to give but any thought count until you know better  ) for example i would have go give a juice and a cup of tea and chat a bit this way i would know what they really need or if i can help in any way maybe providing a jop or recommendation or advice or just let him speak out ask him if he benefit from a hat or he know someone who do , give him ideas about how to make hates and sell them to make a living any thing .

note : selling and giving to organizations dont always work , not all organizations are trusted (espically where i live ) plus isnt that person you see struggling in front of u have some kind of priority .

You are educated when you have the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or self-confidence.
     Robert Frost

?Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.?

― Andr? Gide
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »