Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Skeptical Scholars, Thinkers of the "Islamic Golden Age"

(Read 3595 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Skeptical Scholars, Thinkers of the "Islamic Golden Age"
     OP - July 13, 2016, 09:43 AM

So, I have heard before that many Arab and Persian scholars of this time period have expressed rather Agnostic/Athiestic views, or at the very least been very critical of the dominant Islamic religion at the time. Although this fact isn't in any way a valid criticism of Islam, I think it can still be helpful in creating a more robust critical thinking space within the Islamically influenced communities in which many of us live, to highlight such people.

Al-Ma'arri is one that was very obviously atheistic, but I know that there were others as well, especially if one includes those who express criticism of Islamic thought, even if not explicitly atheist. Maybe we could make a list of them here, and the relevant quotations showing their dissent from Islam?

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Skeptical Scholars, Thinkers of the "Islamic Golden Age"
     Reply #1 - July 13, 2016, 01:23 PM

Al-Ma'arri

Maybe we could make a list of them here, and the relevant quotations showing their dissent from Islam?

Well  that  is a good heading and good folder asbie .,I think  not only just names of such great people but one  should add bit  about their works and their life..

quickly the name of Ibn al-Rawandi  comes in to my  mind

Ibn Al-Rawandi    
    Born   827 CE    Greater Khorasan
    Died      860 or 911 CE   ...........unknown
    Occupation   Writer

Abu al-Hasan Ahmad ibn Yahya ibn Ishaq al-Rawandi (Persian: ابو الحسن احمد بن یحیی بن اسحاق راوندی‎‎, Arabic: أبو الحسن أحمد بن يحيى بن إسحاق الراوندي‎‎), commonly known as Ibn al-Rawandi (Persian: ابن راوندی‎‎;‎ 827–911 CE[1]), was an early skeptic of Islam and a critic of religion in general. In his early days, he was a Mu'tazilite scholar, but after rejecting the Mu'tazilite doctrine, he adhered to Shia Islam for a brief period before becoming a freethinker who repudiated Islam and revealed religion.[2] Although none of his works have survived, his opinions had been preserved through his critics, Muslim apologists and the surviving books that answered him.[3] His book with the most preserved fragments (through an Ismaili book refuting Al-Rawandi's ideology) is the Kitab al-Zumurrud (The Book of the Emerald).

He joined the theological school Mu'tazili to give it up , join the Shiism , and then criticize schools and become freethinker . None of his works has survived him, the only traces of them are found in the books that condemn him or those of his followers. His best known work is the Kitab al-Zummurrud (Book of the Emerald), many of whose appointments can be found in the Kitab al-Intṣiār written and published in 882 by the Ismaili al-Khayat, who devoted himself to refute their views. Ibn al-Rawandi had many opponents among Muslims, including Mutazila, and among the dignitaries of other faiths. Being a heretic whose original writings were lost, there are different interpretations of his thought.
    Some consider it a Shiite heretic, a mutazilí gone mad, an Aristotelian or a radical atheist. Therefore, according to Iraqi sources (and Mutazila), it was a true heretic, according to Iranian sources (Shias), not even a philosopher to consider

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »