Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Unhappy Ex-Muslims

(Read 12353 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #30 - June 20, 2016, 07:54 AM

I think a lot of this has to do with your previous definition of happiness, which seems to denote some state of blissful euphoria. Of course, having that all the time is unobtainable. It sounds downright exhausting. Grin

But I think if we overreach here, we can very easily step into nihilism. Part of growing up is adjusting our expectations of "happiness". I get the feeling that most people wouldn't be satisfied with the idea of "just being". Those things that make up your day to day, you make efforts with your studies, kids, friends, because they effect your long-term well being. Saying "fuck it all" and laying in bed all day is another way of "just being" and existing in the day to day as well. I think having enough experience of that myself, I wouldn't really consider that a particularly good wayTongue

Yes, but I would, hence I felt it was worth giving as advice.

I also have stay in bed all day and do nothing but just exist days, and I accept them as shit days.  But because I expect shit days, it's all good.

Maybe the bigger question here then, is what the OP means by happiness.  I don't think I meant a sense of euphoria (maybe I did, not sure, have to think more deeply about what happiness is to me I guess), I have days like that too, and usually I just reduce the drug dosage that got me into that state in the first place.  Grin

Well, I thought my 2 cents was worth giving.  It's how I get by, and given that I do suffer from chronic depression, B.D.D, and PTSD, I thought it was worth sharing how I manage.

Obviously it's not for everyone, I mean for me 'spirituality' is not my way, but I didn't feel the need to challenge posts advising that method, since the OP might simply want to hear everyone's way of getting through the empty feeling of unhappiness.

First of all, I totally said my thing about being exhausted by "happiness" before I read your post. I swear I wasn't subconsciously somehow effected when I scrolled past your post. Grin

Secondly, I'm going to completely be an asshole devil's advocate here, even knowing that this method for you has had a profoundly positive effect.

Sometimes there's no way that a person can make that picture for them self, regardless of their intentions, efforts, or imagination. Circumstances simply dictate one's life, or there's a particular situation that cannot be worked around that simply makes all the images and senses of the picture meaningless. Two examples I can think of from my own experience are the following: caring for a chronically or terminally ill loved one, and early education.

When the course of one's time is completely dictated by circumstance, as in the above situations, it really doesn't matter what one visualizes because real life basically says fuck you and makes its own script. To me the method seems a rather first world western conception of how to manage a life, where one already is in control. Not everyone has that luxury.

This isn't to say that visualization and satisfaction don't go hand in hand even in these moments when one doesn't have control. By looking at the reality of one's surroundings one can still within such a setting make the best of constraints and experience satisfying, unforgettable moments that fill the seemingly essential narrative in our lives. I admit that I had varying success with this approach in my own life, experiencing the warmth and jokes of the intimate moments that circumstances forced me to share with my grandfather, but at the same time occasionally being despondent and depressed about circumstances. And school was one hell of a strange experience for me, but one that definitely wasn't completely unhappy.

Anyway, I guess what got in my craw was the whole idea that picturing one's could bring a sense of contentment about it, but unfortunately this is also dependent on whether circumstances allow you to move towards that picture. It doesn't do to make a picture which is unrealistic, and I can only imagine that cultivating something like that in one's mind could lead to more dissatisfaction instead.

I hope that wasn't too harsh, as it's just my own two cents.  Smiley

You are kind of being an asshole of a devil's advocate.  You are criticising the personal methods people use to get through their depressive states. 

To be clear here, some of us are so fucked up in the head (me) that when someone comes along and criticises the methods we use to keep ourselves going, we actually take that shit on board...maybe feel stupid (because we have a deep embedded lack of self esteem), maybe then feel ashamed because our method was so laughable to other people.

Then what do you think happens?  our methods stop working, because we feel ashamed.  We feel ashamed because someone else pointed out how ridiculous our methods were, or how illogical they were, and they make no sense, and blah blah blah.

Honestly, when it comes to how people get through their really fucked up states of feeling, maybe add your 2 cents as a post, directed at the OP, on how you cope, instead of quoting people, and specifically challenging how they do it.  It made me feel shitty and embarrassed. 

It's up to the OP which advice helped them, if it wasn't mine, that's fine, that doesn't make me feel bad.  But to have my whole method of making it through an extremely fucked up life, the method that keeps me going when mostly I just wish my life was over....yea, that was an asshole devil's advocate position to take, and it really wasn't necessary.

This wasn't exactly a debate thread on the best method for dealing with unhappiness.  Had it been a debate thread, I wouldn't have posted at all. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #31 - June 20, 2016, 08:33 AM

First of all, I totally said my thing about being exhausted by "happiness" before I read your post. I swear I wasn't subconsciously somehow effected when I scrolled past your post. Grin

Haven't read any further yet - this made me laugh, had to comment Wink Grin
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #32 - June 20, 2016, 09:26 AM

Ok I was going to respond to asbie's devil's advocate reply to my post. But I'm gonna skip that for now.

Berbs, I know exactly what you mean by this:
    You are kind of being an asshole of a devil's advocate.  You are criticising the personal methods people use to get through their depressive states. 

To be clear here, some of us are so fucked up in the head (me) that when someone comes along and criticises the methods we use to keep ourselves going, we actually take that shit on board...

Then what do you think happens?  our methods stop working, ...

It must depend on each individual's experiences of depression and fucked-up-ness, how they perceive their/others' words, and how they perceive being depressed and fucked up. This is embarrasing to me, and I am not intending to be condescending or belittling of how you feel, nor am I trying to make you feel better as that'd be just as bad. I'm merely putting it out there as, perhaps, some small reassurance that you're not alone. Yesterday, after posting a couple of longish threads here, I felt good. Helping others is also a selfish act as it's a form of self help and reassurance. Then I took my wife to work, stopped for a smoke on the way home (finding somewhere out-of-the-way enough not to be seen as I'm supposed to be fasting). Then I felt shit. Not because I smoked. But because I'm not free to live my life, yet. Still got 2 weeks of fucking haramadan left and semi-pretending and finding excuses not to go to other people's houses. I digress. I went home, did some housework and here's the bit that makes me feel about half an inch tall: I sat and spent time refreshing the forum to see if someone, anyone, had posted anything. It was dead. I just sat there, feeling shit and blaming myself for it. Realising I don't have anyone to talk to, don't have anyone I can share how I'm feeling with. Thinking yes, here comes the depression again. It's a bit overdue this year (that must be a good sign I suppose) but pretty much on time.

Anyway, the point of all that, is that I hadn't given this a thought:
    I also have stay in bed all day and do nothing but just exist days, and I accept them as shit days.  But because I expect shit days, it's all good.

I think I do this subconsciously to some extent, but yes shit days are to be expected. I had a series of CBT sessions around a year ago, and alongside this was reading a lot about mindfulness. The latter has helped me to accept that there will be shit days, but rather than fight them or blame myself for them, now I accept that they're part of life. Just like bills and having a dump and anything else we'd rather not, but must, do: shit days are nothing special, don't give them that credit. They're not worth it and don't deserve it. The former (CBT) teaches that the way out of depression is by taking small steps toward doing things, and just doing it. This really does work. Even if it's emptying the bins or putting the socks away. That small thing, to start with once a day, really can start to break depression's hold over you. I know you know this Berbs, but it may help others, particularly the OP.

And given what I've just said...
    Yes, but I would, hence I felt it was worth giving as advice.
    Well, I thought my 2 cents was worth giving.

...your 2 cents absolutely were worth giving.  thnkyu
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #33 - June 20, 2016, 09:28 AM

There's more I wanted, and want, to say, particularly in response to asbie's post. But I'm not alone and have to share the laptop and doing these long posts on my phone is infuriating finmad
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #34 - June 20, 2016, 09:55 AM

At one point, asbie tells us that "being content" with what life offers us borders on nihilism; at another, he tells us wanting to have control of our lives is a first-world, Western privilege.

Seems like he just enjoys being contrarian, to be honest. And a thread where people are sharing their experiences and coping strategies with mental health is not the best place to do that.
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #35 - June 20, 2016, 10:00 AM

Berbs, I totally relate to your method of being content. Happiness is an unattainable ideal, as you say. I've found that even when I'm happy, I get depressed thinking that this happiness is fleeting. This is why mindfulness is important. It allows us to enjoy the good moments when we have them, and also to not put pressure on ourselves to be happy when we simply can't be. And yeah, it's really unhealthy to want to be happy when you can't be. It turns into a vicious cycle of depression and self-resentment.
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #36 - June 20, 2016, 10:47 AM

. We can't get anywhere if our lives are in constant turmoil.

Very true!
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #37 - June 20, 2016, 10:52 AM

Now I accept that I am unhappy sometimes, happy at others, but for the most part just living on an even keel of emotion, which can best be summed up by 'BLAH'.  Grin

I'm a long time resident of planet BLAH.

It seems I have a family history of depression and so when life experiences and biological factors combine, there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel.

Anti depressants really don't help much.

But holding on to the hope that there is some rhyme or reason to this "vale of tears" at least helps a little.
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #38 - June 20, 2016, 11:10 AM

The Vale Of Tears

-Robert Anderson.

Yes! there are pleasures some ne'er know,
    And there are pains too many prove;
    And bliss is oft the source of woe,
    Ev'n when it springs from virtuous love.
    Hope, fair deceiver,
    Lures us for ever!
    Sweet her smiles in life's gay morn;
    But, ah! her roses,
    Reason shews us,
    Hide full many a cank'ring thorn.

We toil for wealth, we seek for fame,
    And various phantoms we pursue:
    This oft brings care, that's but a name;
    At last reflection whispers true.--
    ``Poor murmuring creature,
    Weak by nature,
    Swell'd by hopes, oppressed by fears;
    Proud and ungrateful,
    Vain, deceitful,
    Man makes life a Vale of Tears!''
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #39 - June 20, 2016, 11:32 AM

The Vale Of Tears  -Robert Anderson.

Weak by nature,
    Proud and ungrateful,
    Vain, deceitful,
    Man makes life a Vale of Tears!...
    ''

what a little sonnet there..  but as usual let me rewrite

"Weak by nature,
    Proud and ungrateful,
    Vain, deceitful,
    Man makes life a Vale of Tears!
    and that is because
    they were not men
    but an un-evolved species
    in man's skin.".
    ''

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #40 - June 20, 2016, 04:28 PM

Ok I was going to respond to asbie's devil's advocate reply to my post. But I'm gonna skip that for now.

Berbs, I know exactly what you mean by this:
    It must depend on each individual's experiences of depression and fucked-up-ness, how they perceive their/others' words, and how they perceive being depressed and fucked up. This is embarrasing to me, and I am not intending to be condescending or belittling of how you feel, nor am I trying to make you feel better as that'd be just as bad. I'm merely putting it out there as, perhaps, some small reassurance that you're not alone. Yesterday, after posting a couple of longish threads here, I felt good. Helping others is also a selfish act as it's a form of self help and reassurance. Then I took my wife to work, stopped for a smoke on the way home (finding somewhere out-of-the-way enough not to be seen as I'm supposed to be fasting). Then I felt shit. Not because I smoked. But because I'm not free to live my life, yet. Still got 2 weeks of fucking haramadan left and semi-pretending and finding excuses not to go to other people's houses. I digress. I went home, did some housework and here's the bit that makes me feel about half an inch tall: I sat and spent time refreshing the forum to see if someone, anyone, had posted anything. It was dead. I just sat there, feeling shit and blaming myself for it. Realising I don't have anyone to talk to, don't have anyone I can share how I'm feeling with. Thinking yes, here comes the depression again. It's a bit overdue this year (that must be a good sign I suppose) but pretty much on time.

Anyway, the point of all that, is that I hadn't given this a thought:I think I do this subconsciously to some extent, but yes shit days are to be expected. I had a series of CBT sessions around a year ago, and alongside this was reading a lot about mindfulness. The latter has helped me to accept that there will be shit days, but rather than fight them or blame myself for them, now I accept that they're part of life. Just like bills and having a dump and anything else we'd rather not, but must, do: shit days are nothing special, don't give them that credit. They're not worth it and don't deserve it. The former (CBT) teaches that the way out of depression is by taking small steps toward doing things, and just doing it. This really does work. Even if it's emptying the bins or putting the socks away. That small thing, to start with once a day, really can start to break depression's hold over you. I know you know this Berbs, but it may help others, particularly the OP.

And given what I've just said......your 2 cents absolutely were worth giving.  thnkyu

Yea, I get that.   Smiley  It is definitely an individual thing, my state of fucked up'ness does involve finding anything to hate myself over, and sometimes even the smallest of things can become a deep wound for me lol. 

When I share stuff online, I open myself up to shame, since it's quite easy to make me feel due to the fact that I have such low self esteem that I am just waiting for someone to remind me of how stupid I am.  Grin

Not everyone would have reacted that way to the devil's advocate position, and not everyone perceives the world in the way I do.  I just didn't think a thread like this deserved any sort of devil's advocate position since (to me/individual) it was a personal sharing moment. 

Also, I remember the days of feeling crap for both cheating my way through ramadan, and also for not being free enough to just not do ramadan without feeling like a cheat.  It's good that you're here, you can rant about it all, and no one here is going to judge you, since we all understand Smiley

And yea, ever since I learned to accept that some days will be shit, and they will always happen no matter what, getting through those days is infinitely easier.  I usually just get really stoned, and watch fantasy programmes/read fantasy books/listen to epic music.  When I feel those feelings of unhappiness coming on, I just talk myself into a state of acceptance.

This is easier with visualising better days to come.  Not happier days, just better days.  Days I managed to accomplish something.  They could be weeks away, and with this weather it would seem months away, but they will come. 

I keep in mind that nothing in life ever stays constant, change always comes.  Good or bad, the feelings I am experiencing now will not last, and that's a good way for me to process it.

Back in my darker days, nothing seemed like it could ever be better.

At one point, asbie tells us that "being content" with what life offers us borders on nihilism; at another, he tells us wanting to have control of our lives is a first-world, Western privilege.

Seems like he just enjoys being contrarian, to be honest. And a thread where people are sharing their experiences and coping strategies with mental health is not the best place to do that.

Grin haha yep, I know this, it's asbie.  It's what makes him asbie :p (no offence intended, I normally am totally cool with it lol), but as you said, this wasn't the thread for it, not for me anyway.  My method is just what works for me. 

Also, I do get upset quickly over this issue, probably took it a bit more personally than it was ever intended to be. 

Sorry asbie, I do get that you weren't trying to offend or take away anyone's method for coping. 

I'm a long time resident of planet BLAH.

It seems I have a family history of depression and so when life experiences and biological factors combine, there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel.

Anti depressants really don't help much.

But holding on to the hope that there is some rhyme or reason to this "vale of tears" at least helps a little.

hugs from another resident of planet blah.

Nope, they don't work, and have been proven to not work, and discussed in the media as being one of the worst medicines rolled out in the 21st century.  They weren't even tested properly, did you know that?  turns out, they can make your depression into a long term condition, rather than something you might have worked through via therapy, much quicker.  They also have a higher suicide rate.  :/

• Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #41 - June 20, 2016, 05:11 PM

hugs from another resident of planet blah.

hugs
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #42 - June 20, 2016, 05:29 PM

SSRIs are the new in thing in the world of medicine. Doctors are prescribing them for everything. They can work if you find the right one for you, but they're not a solution. They're called "baseline medications," i.e. you use them to get that push to make the lifestyle changes you need to manage your depression/anxiety.
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #43 - June 20, 2016, 05:34 PM

Antidepressants are horrible things. I'm supposed to be on citalopram at the moment but my flat and life are so chaotic and fucked up at the moment that I don't take them regularly. Consequently they're probably doing more harm than good and haven't taken them for a few weeks now. I really would prefer to be off them altogether but they do seem to keep me more balanced when I'm on them daily. The thought of needing to take pills for my head in itself makes me feel inadequate, though I know that's a symptom of the general stigma that still exists around mental health problems.
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #44 - June 20, 2016, 05:35 PM

Haha Absurdist, you hit the nail on the head there!
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #45 - June 20, 2016, 05:38 PM

SSRIs are the new in thing in the world of medicine. Doctors are prescribing them for everything. They can work if you find the right one for you, but they're not a solution. They're called "baseline medications," i.e. you use them to get that push to make the lifestyle changes you need to manage your depression/anxiety.

Making the lifestyle change is the hard bit.
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #46 - June 20, 2016, 05:40 PM

I just had a minor crisis. Had a text from one of my customers saying he hadn't received paperwork for 2 jobs I did at the start of the month. I was sure I'd sent it 2 weeks ago but checking Post Office receipts, they indeed hadn't been sent. Oh shit! Found one. Half an hour of mad panicked searching and cussing and stressing over my madly messy and disorganised home, and I found the other. Thank god (not God) I did, or that'd send me into an evening of hopeless despair. Grin
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #47 - June 20, 2016, 05:40 PM

Making a lifestyle change is Much easier said than done
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #48 - June 20, 2016, 05:41 PM

Hassan, it really is. Small baby steps are the way to go. Even that's seeming impossible when you're in a really low phase, though. This forum is a great place to be, when you're in that horrid place.
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #49 - June 20, 2016, 05:44 PM

The good thing about lifestyle changes is that once you get in the groove of things they become routine so become second nature. Smiley

And as jrg said, baby steps. I know it can be difficult to not expect too much from yourself and just want to be there right now, but you can only get there slowly. If you force yourself to get there now, you'll more likely get too overwhelmed and stay where you are.
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #50 - June 20, 2016, 05:50 PM

The good thing about lifestyle changes is that once you get in the groove of things they become routine so become second nature. Smiley

And as jrg said, baby steps. I know it can be difficult to not expect too much from yourself and just want to be there right now, but you can only get there slowly. If you force yourself to get there now, you'll more likely get too overwhelmed and stay where you are.

This. Absolutely, this.
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #51 - June 20, 2016, 06:32 PM

See they didn't even give me the push.  They put me in a state of manic euphoria, or rage and anger. 

I felt like I was on speed (the drug), and I alternated between extreme happiness, but then states of rage when one tiny thing would try to shatter my bubble.  I couldn't calm down enough to make changes in my life, I felt almost bi-polar on them.

Plus I also felt like I was being electrocuted.  Every step I took, a jolt would rush through my body much like the time I was electrocuted as a kid. 

All in all, I hated the experience, and I had tried many types, at different doses.  They just don't help me. 

I stopped taking medication years ago.  Now all I do is smoke.  I generally smoke hash as I said, but when I can get hold of specific strains of weed I grab those, and use those. 

When you think about it, I finished college on weed, graduated Uni on weed, motivated myself to learn how to drive on weed (not whilst I was driving obviously Grin ).  It doesn't motivate me to be social, but I'm only 20% social anyway, 80% of the time I prefer my own company/privacy.

Weed/hash gave me the push to make lifestyle changes.  I even went to the gym for 7 months on weed, but then I hurt my back, stopped going for a bit, and then just stopped altogether.  I really would like to start again but my finances are too restricted to cover the membership.  I won't do jogging, running has never been my thing.

I have however signed up to take part in next years dragon boat racing on the river thames, and I will be joining a team, and rowing the boat with them, so I guess that's exercise.

So yea, SSRI's didn't help me at all. 

Making a lifestyle change is Much easier said than done

Yep.  I think sometimes they begin to happen on their own.  Opportunity appears, responsibilities lessen, you can focus more on your lifestyle needs, and not just the people who depend on you.  That sort of 'space for change' needs to be there.  In your head and in the real world.  Also, like absurdist and jrg said, it's only ever in small steps.

Doesn't even have to be right now, tomorrow, or even this year.  The hope of knowing it is coming, that's one of the small steps too.  You know life never stays the same, so don't judge yourself for the changes you haven't made yet, they will come.  Plus even if they never do, even if you never give up meat, or start exercising, or socialise more, it doesn't really even matter.  It's ok to just be you too.  It doesn't matter if you never become that idealised image of health, good choices and social perfection.

It's life hun, we live it, and we have every right to live it as the people we currently are, rather the people we somehow think we need to be.   Smiley

• Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #52 - June 20, 2016, 07:24 PM

even if you never give up meat

Cheesy  no chance!!!  piggy

It's ok to just be you too.  It doesn't matter if you never become that idealised image of health, good choices and social perfection.

This is a very important point, particularly for those of us going through the process of re-finding ourselves after removing the mask and perversely protective veil that is Islam.

Part of this process will be learning to live without the claustrophobic, but somehow reassuring, dietary and lifestyle restrictions we've had imposed on us, perhaps from birth. First step is to unlearn that all these things are forbidden. Then start to dip your toes into the water of the now unforbidden sea of opportunities. Find out what you like, and what you don't like. Take small steps and really notice and appreciate each of your new experiences. As you're doing this you can start to build a picture of where you want your life to go, what you want to do, and who you want to become. There will be horribly depressing times, where you feel like running back to the illusory security of Islam. But as with any of the low moments described above, just accept them as the inevitability that they are. They'll pass. Keep putting putting one foot in front of the other, on that treacherous path that is life. You'll soon find yourself in a place that makes you feel better and, at least fleetingly, forget the bad place you just came out of.

I read somewhere, in one of the many self help type books I've partially perused, that there is no such thing as a bad decision. I love this idea. A decision can only be based on your pre-existing knowledge, current perceptions of the situation you find yourself in, and predicted outcomes as interpreted at that moment. Therefore, whatever you decide to do at that precise moment, is the right thing to do. Taking this one step further, every decision you've ever made (and will make), at any time, in every situation you've found (and will find) youself in, was/is the right decision, at that moment. This makes it, for me at least, infinitely more easy to live without regrets and without dwelling on what, retrospectively, may seem like a stupid thing to have said or done. Of course, I'm not saying this is a blank cheque for doing bad things or offending people left right and centre. But it makes life so much easier to really live.
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #53 - June 20, 2016, 07:51 PM

My sincerest apologies to jrg and BerberElla. I didn't mean to criticize their methods for coping. A shit week seems fine right about now anyway.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #54 - June 20, 2016, 08:03 PM

Yep.  I think sometimes they begin to happen on their own.  Opportunity appears, responsibilities lessen, you can focus more on your lifestyle needs, and not just the people who depend on you.  That sort of 'space for change' needs to be there.  In your head and in the real world.  Also, like absurdist and jrg said, it's only ever in small steps.

Doesn't even have to be right now, tomorrow, or even this year.  The hope of knowing it is coming, that's one of the small steps too.  You know life never stays the same, so don't judge yourself for the changes you haven't made yet, they will come.  Plus even if they never do, even if you never give up meat, or start exercising, or socialise more, it doesn't really even matter.  It's ok to just be you too.  It doesn't matter if you never become that idealised image of health, good choices and social perfection.

It's life hun, we live it, and we have every right to live it as the people we currently are, rather the people we somehow think we need to be.   Smiley

Thanks, habibti hugs
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #55 - June 21, 2016, 12:26 AM

I find happiness in the moment. At times the source is something small such as my dogs making friends with other dogs (rescues so retraining) The little puppy becomes so happy that I become happy because she is. Another source is my nephew and all the team sports he takes part in.  I enjoy watching him have fun with his team, learning something new, etc. When he becomes happy after doing something I would think is mundane my view becomes overridden by his experience, sharing of it, what it means to him, etc. I think the hardest thing to do is finding that source and embracing it.
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #56 - June 21, 2016, 09:18 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience with SSRIs, Berbs. I've had several healthcare professional prescribe me / recommend that I take SSRIs, but I've been hesitant. I was taking anxiolytics for a while, but stopped recently.
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #57 - June 21, 2016, 01:39 PM

Some people swear by them Absurdist, it really does depend on you.  My experience was wholly negative though, so I certainly wouldn't recommend them. 

• Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #58 - June 21, 2016, 06:48 PM

Going away from the discussion on medication, which I did not find useful at all in my case even when I self-medicated with weed, I would like to tackle the issue posted by the OP. For some people, depression is just a matter of perspective change while others it is a chemical imbalance which may or may not be hereditary. In the case of the depression experienced by those leaving religion, I would have to agree with Absurdist in that it is the result of a perspective change that is part of the process of letting go.

Personally, I realized that there is no point to anything and that's just fine. It is on us, as individuals, to define what the purpose of our lives will be. We can change it, modify it, or discard the idea of "purpose" completely. Nothing is predetermined and you have an infinite amount of choices ahead of you. There is also a quote from a calculus professor I overheard while he was talking to another student years ago: You don't have to do anything, you just dislike the consequences of not doing it. Always keep that in mind, I try to.

And.. on another even more personal note, my depression is probably hereditary. I had it for as long as I could remember and it's just another facet of life for me.

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

http://sinofgreed.wordpress.com/
  • Unhappy Ex-Muslims
     Reply #59 - June 21, 2016, 08:47 PM

There is a long text here about the trauma of leaving religion:
    http://journeyfree.org/rts/rts-its-time-to-recognize-it/
    http://journeyfree.org/rts/understandingrts/
    http://journeyfree.org/rts/the-trauma-of-leaving-religion-pt-3/

The good stuff is in part three.

The interesting thing is, that the effect of strict religion and of leaving it, is described as having an effect like PTSD.
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »