Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: I left Islam because...

(Read 5761 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I left Islam because...
     OP - March 25, 2016, 02:58 PM

I am a Bangladeshi-Australian ex-Muslim residing in Melbourne, so hopefully, I wouldn't have to lose my head for apostasy  lipsrsealed  piggy. I used to be a practising Muslim for about 20 years of my life, after being born a Muslim.

I used to think that those who drew Muhammad cartoons were the most heinous, disgusting monsters in the world. I used to equate any mild criticism of Islam to hate speech and racism (something that even the UN went on to do!). I remember feeling a strange satisfaction at the brutal murder of Theo van Gogh, although I disapproved of killing even back then. I know deep down, at least 80% of the Muslim population shared my feelings, and we were just moderate Muslims.

Then I went on to uni here in Australia and learnt to analyse information critically. And from then on I started to look at Islam critically, and slowly started losing my faith the more I read the Quran and hadith critically (rather than blindly, as we all did as kids). And after 3 months I was done with this religion of pieces, the brutal murder of Avijit Roy was the final straw.

I was a victim, just one of a billion of mass brain washing ever since I was a kid, to blindly believe in this invisible man (whom a drunkard pedophile created in his own image), and worship him.

Now, I left Islam because- most Muslims are ultraconservative AF. Yes, all religions are totally f***ed up, but Islam takes that to a whole new level. The Quran is seen as the literal word of allah, and hence this religion that is based on 7th century Arabian desert fairy tale book simply can't be reformed.

What I find more annoying are the far left and Muslim apologists who cherrypick information from the Quran and Hadith to make Islam look like this perfect religion of peace, how the violent verses are completely out of context, etc. etc. I get annoyed when as soon as there is a suicide bomber, most Muslims shout out "But he was not a true Muslim."- but weirdly enough those guys also drew their inspiration from Quranic verses, thinking about their 72 virgin sex slaves in heaven.

OK fine, so you are telling me that most Muslims aren't terrorists. But how many of them are Jihadists/ ISIS sympathisers? How many of them are Islamists? How many of them support stoning of adulterers? How many of them supports beheading for homosexuality, apostasy, blasphemy and sorcery in the 21st century? How many of them support child marriage and beating of wives? How many of them support honour killings? How many of them support an Islamic caliphate over a Western democracy? My generous guess will be 99.9% of the non-terrorist Muslims can be put in this subset.

But I don't think we should hate Muslims, because most of them are nice people. I don't think we should have a Muslim travel ban, that Trump suggested. That would be a poor way of dealing with this problem at hand.

Sorry for the long rant. I haven't shared the news of my disbelief with my friends and family, fearing I would lose most of my friends and my parents would be upset. So I had to get everything off my head here.

Aloha Ackbar
     Reply #1 - March 25, 2016, 05:41 PM

Hi Winterfell! Welcome Smiley  Sorry i hv a question; it isnt clearly understood from ur message why u left islam.Can u be more specific on that? What were the main reason(s) causing u to apostatize?     Just wondering Smiley  3 months seems like a very short time for such a radical change.
     Reply #2 - March 26, 2016, 01:13 AM

parrot
    Welcome! Logic does often change your life.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #3 - March 28, 2016, 05:15 AM

Hi sceptical77,

I took a long time to write this up to start this thread. Often times I have started writing and deleted whatever I wrote, as I have never really shared my current views on religion with anyone. it felt very weird and in a way, awkward . So whatever I could get myself to write came out as an angry rant. And I forgot to put an appropriate title.

Now, biology was always my Achilles heal, I haven't studied it past year 9 at high school, so I am no biologist. My initial conflict was with some young Earth creationist, I found it hilarious when I came across (photos on FB) some Christian school over in the States that were actually teaching kids that the earth is only 6000 years old, and dinosaurs existed alongside our species, and how the universe was created in 6 days.. etc. etc. And exactly at that time, there was a big debate between young earth creationist, Ken Ham and the voice of reason, Bill Nye. So I took in a lot from that debate, and I was looking further into a lot of videos on YouTube debunking creationists and the great flood, and reading up a lot more about all this.

So I sort of found Christianity funny and full of flaws from that point onwards and found it hard to believe that this religion has attracted so many followers. All this time I was being hypocritical for ignoring the fact that many of these fallacies are actually a part of Islam too. So after a while I started looking into the Quran and hadith as well, at all the violent verses and all the scientific inaccuracies in them. I also found a lot of interesting threads here at CEMB and muktomona, which I read through. Watched a lot of debates and Q&A episodes featuring Richard Dawkins, Lawrance Krauss et al.. I slowly diverted away from Islam in only that three-four months window, so after all that I came to the conclusion that Islam was also a pile of #### much like any other religion. But even then- I used to think of myself as a non-practicing Muslim, I could not get myself to completely leave Islam as I have had practised it for almost 20 years.

But if you look at these terrorist attacks, most of them have been inspired by Islam. Just look at Brussels. Do you think the Brussels bombers lost their villages and family in Karachi due to US drone strikes and wanted to get revenge on the US and it's allies? Was this great tragedy inspired by politics rather than religion? -No. all of the three bombers were all born and bred in Belgium, and studied there. and decided to act upon one of the few violent verses in the quran and the hadith.

Many left wing liberals and Muslim apologists also do a similar thing by cherrypicking the good/peaceful verses of the Quran and posting them all across social media, preventing moderate Muslims from being sceptical about their beliefs and reasoning for themselves. These apologists are their #1 go to spot after any terrorist attack for explanations, because clearly Islam is completely flawless. A lot of these left wing liberals go on to label any criticism of Islam as hate speech and racism.

One such terrorist attack occurred when blogger Avijit Roy was hacked to death for defending free speech in Bangladesh, writing about science and reasoning and also mild criticism of Islam. That was when I decided this is it,  I don't in anyway, want myself associated with this outdated 7th century belief system.

Aloha Ackbar
     Reply #4 - March 28, 2016, 07:45 AM

I am a Bangladeshi-Australian ex-Muslim residing in Melbourne, so hopefully, I wouldn't have to lose my head for apostasy  lipsrsealed  piggy. I used to be a practising Muslim for about 20 years of my life, after being born a Muslim.

I used to think that those who drew Muhammad cartoons were the most heinous, disgusting monsters in the world. I used to equate any mild criticism of Islam to hate speech and racism (something that even the UN went on to do!). I remember feeling a strange satisfaction at the brutal murder of Theo van Gogh, although I disapproved of killing even back then. I know deep down, at least 80% of the Muslim population shared my feelings, and we were just moderate Muslims.

Then I went on to uni here in Australia and learnt to analyse information critically. And from then on I started to look at Islam critically, and slowly started losing my faith the more I read the Quran and hadith critically (rather than blindly, as we all did as kids). And after 3 months I was done with this religion of pieces, the brutal murder of Avijit Roy was the final straw.

I was a victim, just one of a billion of mass brain washing ever since I was a kid, to blindly believe in this invisible man (whom a drunkard pedophile created in his own image), and worship him.

Now, I left Islam because- most Muslims are ultraconservative AF. Yes, all religions are totally f***ed up, but Islam takes that to a whole new level. The Quran is seen as the literal word of allah, and hence this religion that is based on 7th century Arabian desert fairy tale book simply can't be reformed.

What I find more annoying are the far left and Muslim apologists who cherrypick information from the Quran and Hadith to make Islam look like this perfect religion of peace, how the violent verses are completely out of context, etc. etc. I get annoyed when as soon as there is a suicide bomber, most Muslims shout out "But he was not a true Muslim."- but weirdly enough those guys also drew their inspiration from Quranic verses, thinking about their 72 virgin sex slaves in heaven.

OK fine, so you are telling me that most Muslims aren't terrorists. But how many of them are Jihadists/ ISIS sympathisers? How many of them are Islamists? How many of them support stoning of adulterers? How many of them supports beheading for homosexuality, apostasy, blasphemy and sorcery in the 21st century? How many of them support child marriage and beating of wives? How many of them support honour killings? How many of them support an Islamic caliphate over a Western democracy? My generous guess will be 99.9% of the non-terrorist Muslims can be put in this subset.

But I don't think we should hate Muslims, because most of them are nice people. I don't think we should have a Muslim travel ban, that Trump suggested. That would be a poor way of dealing with this problem at hand.

Sorry for the long rant. I haven't shared the news of my disbelief with my friends and family, fearing I would lose most of my friends and my parents would be upset. So I had to get everything off my head here.

After I left Islam back in 2008, I tried to return back in 2013, reread the Quran again, if there are something I missed before, but to no avail. I am still an ex-Muslim. I can't reconcile the fact that a portion of the Quran are dedicated in promoting anti-nonbelievers agenda, with eternal hell fire verdict. Muhammad was simply a man of hatred, not of mercy.
     Reply #5 - April 03, 2016, 05:09 PM

Welcome to the forum Winterfell  parrot

Let me guess, you do enjoy watching Game of Thrones, don't you  Smiley ?
     Reply #6 - April 07, 2016, 04:37 AM

After I left Islam back in 2008, I tried to return back in 2013, reread the Quran again, if there are something I missed before, but to no avail. I am still an ex-Muslim. I can't reconcile the fact that a portion of the Quran are dedicated in promoting anti-nonbelievers agenda, with eternal hell fire verdict. Muhammad was simply a man of hatred, not of mercy.

Muslims view Muhammad as the best person who had ever walked the planet. But, by today's standards-
    Muhammad was -a pedophile.
    Muhammad was- a warmonger.
    Muhammad was- a mass murderer.

And that is just to name a few of the wonderful things that he has done.
    And the worst thing is people find ways to justify the atrocities that this madman has committed, once they are pointed to it. Muslims are blinded by the Quran, they can't see this huge dark side of their religion. So I  am not very surprised that the number of us, Ex-Muslims, are so very small. It would after all, be punishable by death in most Muslim countries.

@ElToro -

I wonder how you could have possibly guessed that? Tongue
    I have had a hard time thinking about usernames for this forum. Obviously I don't want to use any that I usually use in other discussion forums, where I might have accidentally leaked some of my personal information (email addresses and what not).

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones quote from Season 5 Episode 8.

Aloha Ackbar
     Reply #7 - April 07, 2016, 01:38 PM

But, by today's standards-
    Muhammad was -a pedophile.
    Muhammad was- a warmonger.
    Muhammad was- a mass murderer.

Actually, I'd argue that to the victims of Muhammad's campaigns they'd view him as a mass murderer and warmonger. No doubt many polemics written against Muhammad cite these reasons.

Although, Muhammad's marriage to Aishah is problematic and distasteful in modern times I doubt that 'paedophilia' is not the correct label. What I mean is that I doubt he had a sexual appetite for very young girls given his previous and successive relationships. Marriage was about power and unfortunately very young girls where the pawns in the game. The game of thrones. Winterfell.

Oh, and welcome.

The dragons will rise this April. 

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #8 - April 09, 2016, 05:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEwmfIgSQQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4yyx1qDWhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVehdVlLdBI

Ahl as-sunnah wal-jamāʻah and following the way of the Salaf. - nope, not anymore.
     Reply #9 - April 10, 2016, 12:23 AM

Welcome to the forum Winterfell! Have a rabbit!  bunny

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #10 - April 10, 2016, 07:41 AM

Welcome here Winterfell. Here's a parrot and a  bunny .
    I am a Bangladeshi too.. I'm still here, but looking to move out of BD soon. I presume you've heard about the recent "hacking to death" of Nazimuddin too? oh well. Good luck.  Btw, what are you majoring in? if you don't mind me asking.
    Send a message if you wanna talk. cheers! Afro

Isn't it interesting... religious behavior is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart.
     Reply #11 - April 10, 2016, 05:43 PM

@Jedi, I was backing the dire wolves though. I have always been a House Stark loyalist.

Hi A Muslim,

I just watched a couple of the videos that you have shared. Didn't have enough free time to watch the 1 hour lecture. For the first video, the narrator accepts that Muhammad consummated his marriage with Aisha when she was 9 years old, which still makes him a pedophile by modern day legal standards - there is no way you can deny that, irrespective of Aisha's social/ psychological maturity. Most of us here agree that Muhammad did a few good deeds too, he was just an average, illiterate man of his time. He should definitely not be a role model for one-fifth of humanity in the 21st century. Its funny to what great lengths Muslims would go to justify every atrocity that Muhammad has committed. I was doing the exact same, sharing all these links and labelling anyone critical of Islam or Muhammad as an Islamophobe/ racist.

I really don't feel like debating this topic any further in this thread.

Aloha Ackbar
     Reply #12 - April 10, 2016, 06:15 PM

Welcome here Winterfell. Here's a parrot and a  bunny .
    I am a Bangladeshi too.. I'm still here, but looking to move out of BD soon. I presume you've heard about the recent "hacking to death" of Nazimuddin too? oh well. Good luck.  Btw, what are you majoring in? if you don't mind me asking.
    Send a message if you wanna talk. cheers! Afro

Ami kokhono kolponao korte pari nai je ekhane aro ekjon Bangladeshir dekha pabo Smiley. Sorry amar Avro keyboard download kora chilo na, English ei type korte hocche, sadly :/.

Yes, I have heard of Nizamuddin and five other secular/atheist writers and bloggers brutally hacked to death by the practitioners of this religion of peace in just the past 13 months. Their crime was to stand up against radical Islamists. They were the real heroes of secularism, not just in Bangladesh, but the world. They continued to fight back with their keyboards and pens despite being put on a death list by Islamists. This is a part of the reason that convinced me to leave Islam altogether in the first place. Islam can never reply back with the pen, so it often has to resort to the use of machetes.

When I left Bangladesh for Australia some 6 years ago, almost no girls/women I knew/ saw everyday wore hijabs and head scarves, but when I visited Bangladesh recently in 2015, I was shocked to see that half the women in our country wear hijabs, some even wore a full burkas, a lot more men were growing their beards too. I don't normally have any issues with people's clothing preferences, but I fear many might be forced to cover up by their family. And no, hijab doesn't prevent rape. Look what happened to Tonu.

I have noticed many posters for private English Medium Madrasas and Cadet Madrasas that have opened up while I was gone. I find this very concerning. Children attending these institutes are being denied a proper high school education and instead are memorising verses of the Quran and Hadith. These madrasas (esp. the ones funded by Saudi Arabia) are often times breeding grounds for radical Islamists, and sadly Bangladeshi government continue to fund them and recognise Madrasa education.

Again the above is just based on my observations.

As for my major- I will PM you. Stay safe while you are still in Bangladesh. Maintain some anonymity if you are going to criticise Islam while you are still in Bangladesh.

Aloha Ackbar
     Reply #13 - April 10, 2016, 10:40 PM

I absolutely agree with your point on the current trend of Hijab. You rightly mention that the number of Hijabis have dramatically increased in the past decade. Same goes for the men and beard. Many are indeed forced to don the Hijab, as you say, but at the same time many just see it as a symbol of being a "good girl", but has absolutely zero clue about Islam.

Dating is now common here, and sometimes the Hijab is actually seen as an attractive feature for a "Islam friendly" guy. The Irony. I say he's Islam friendly, not because these people are religious; but cause they are a weird bunch. They don't pray often (only fridays), watch porns and does everything else like normal people (alcohols and pork are a no no tho). But then they expect the girls to be Hijabis, want Blasphemers to be killed and explodes like a bomb with the slightest hint of criticism of Islam. These are the moderates. (everyone knows about the extremists, and they're increasing exponentially here.)

Our generation really are just a bunch of hypocrites, and really ignorant about most things (hujuge bangali  Huh?). One of my close friend defends Islam like crazy but doesn't even know, that Islam permits slavery, sex with slaves, or pathetically doesn't even know the Islamic dress code for men. They just watch some Zakir Nayek and think, "Whoah! this dude just smashed the crap out of those Malaun logic, what a genius!". That guy's not even a true scholar.

As for the schools, the same things are happening. The feeling is the world and the society is going astray and here Islam = good. So, parents are increasingly willing to send there kids in such schools & Madrasas; and breeding the next generation of useless fools. No one knows what they're doing, but slowly but steadily Islam is gaining a foothold in the forefront of our National psyche. We're going down - big time.

I hardly criticize Islam in public or in social media. I mostly come here and lurk (this is a great place tbh). A cousin of mine is skeptic about Islam, sometimes I discuss with him, may be with some friends I know who are open-minded. Other than that, there's no point. Most people are not looking to engage in a conversation, they're not really learned enough (both in Islam and Science/Philosophy) to understand what a critic of Islam is talking about. They physiologically cannot process logical arguments when it comes to religion. It's useless. And when you post these in Social media with a friend-list full of Bangladeshis, you're basically playing chess with baboons. Thanks for your concern though. Smiley
    Anyway, ranted there a bit.
    Have a good day  dance

Isn't it interesting... religious behavior is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »