Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: 17 year old Ex Muslim

(Read 3284 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 17 year old Ex Muslim
     OP - March 12, 2016, 12:14 AM

Hey guys,

I'm glad to be here among like minded people. I've already (in the past few days) posted on some other forums and such, so I will use my same post from there (to give an introduction):

I'm a 17 year old living in Canada who has left Islam, and I became an 'agnostic atheist' as of now. I'm going to tell you guys my story in short below:

About 1 year ago, when I was 16, I began having doubts about Islam and these doubts kept building up to the point where I eventually decided to leave Islam. After leaving, I decided I was going to search for the true religion (whether it was Islam or anything else). After a lot more research, I came to the conclusion that there probably is no religion (all of them are man-made) or any God (at least not any God these religions portray); thus I became an 'agnostic atheist'. During this whole process, I trusted my sister, and I told her about me leaving Islam and I made her even promise that she won't tell anyone, especially my parents. However, she ended up breaking my trust and she told my parents. Soon it got to the point where my parents were literally ready to disown me. They kept threatening me that they'd kick me out of the house if I don't come back. And, they were not saying this to just threaten me so that I can come back- they were dead serious about it. So, out of fear of being kicked out of the house, I faked to come back. Now, I feel like complete shit, because I have to lie to my parents every single day. I have to lie to them about praying 5 times a day, etc, etc, etc. Every moment of my life I have to lie to them now. I also feel that I am using them for necessities of life (shelter, food, water, etc.) and for support (for university- which will start this September for me, as I am in Grade 12 right now). On one hand, I want to tell them because I don't want to deceive them any longer (with all these lies), and due to the guilt of 'using them' (for necessities of life and all the support). And, on the other hand, I don't want to tell them, because if I get disowned at the age of 17, my whole life will probably be over. I won't have anywhere to go. My entire family is Muslim, so none of them will help me, hence I'll be completely by myself and screwed.
    In this situation, what should I do?

Thank you.
  • 17 year old Ex Muslim
     Reply #1 - March 12, 2016, 12:24 AM

Welcome.

In this situation, what should I do?

You don't tell them. Your parents are the ones who brought you into this world. They owe you a decent living. You're not using them.

If you want to tell them, you need to be financially independent first. But don't feel pressure to be financially independent just to get off their backs. You need to think of your own well-being.
  • 17 year old Ex Muslim
     Reply #2 - March 12, 2016, 07:58 PM

If you are having doubts then there's no point telling your parents and risking all this turmoil. Keep it to yourself.

If you are certain that Islam is not for you -still keep it to yourself. Speak to us. Speak to a counselor. But do not threaten your life with Ego. There are bigger things than Islam - make friends, sigh because you are free, get a education, get a job, get your own money, get your own house and continue to be freer and freer.

No need to tell family and create drama because then you are asking them to judge you.

Life is an act and no you shouldn't be expected to lie. But a sound mind and a sound body is better than tears and domestic turmoil. That is until you can stand on your own two feet.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • 17 year old Ex Muslim
     Reply #3 - March 13, 2016, 05:01 PM

There are bigger things than Islam - make friends, sigh because you are free, get a education, get a job, get your own money, get your own house and continue to be freer and freer.

I would emphasize this point to 17-year-old me.

I'm going to be 22 soon, and am still many years away from becoming "independent".

I no longer found it hard to remain patient once I got over the initial angry phase by venting my frustrations and arguing on this forum.

These days I can't be bothered to discuss Islam, and stick around just for the community.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
  • 17 year old Ex Muslim
     Reply #4 - April 03, 2016, 05:18 PM

Welcome  parrot

I would also recommend you to keep it for yourself.

Also you can contact the Ex Muslim of North America council  Afro
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »