Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New to Atheism, Needs Help

(Read 2471 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • New to Atheism, Needs Help
     OP - February 26, 2016, 04:14 PM

Hello guys , I am a 21 year old ex-Muslim from India , i renounced Islam a few weeks back. my parents and siblings are devout Muslims . i was never a  good,well practicing Muslim but i believed in everything i learned at my madrasa as a kid . i never searched for logic in what my religion says, instead i blindly believed .

few weeks back i was surfing thru internet and found a link to debate between theists and atheists regarding the subject 'Evolution and Creationism' and i found it interesting , i was always interested in science(i am no geek, but love science)I've learned basic evolution in my school and i knew creationism from my Muslim scholar. but never gave a thought about how they differ . but after reading the article i found it really interesting and researched about a lot of stuff about what i blindly believed and understood that all the MIRACLES FROM QURAN i believed was lies and facts twisted by Muslim scholars . I mean i believed in all these kinda shit. but after doing a lot of research and reading a lot of articles regarding different subjects i learned from Islam i understood that Islam is just like all other religions just pure crap. But after leaving islam i am kinda depressed , i havent told anyone about my renouncement ,i still act like a muslim in front of my near ones.

There are still many things that boggles my mind ,
    1) If Islam is false why many NON-Muslims convert to Islam ?
    2) I read many articles criticizing Muhammad's "Revelations" and Quran as Epileptic hallucinations, Fraud, etc. i have few doubts regarding this ;If Muhammad had epilepsy and believed angel Gibreel is really revealing him god's words then he would not make up his own messages(out of fear of god's anger)as some critics claim ; Many apologetic claim Muhammad was illiterate ( I don't know why , is there any hadith saying so? )if yes then how could an illiterate trader at his 40s can collect facts(from greek,roman,egyptian,torah,bible and many other sources ) within a short period (between his revelations) and make them up in to poetic verses and recite it to his desciples ?

I know Islam is false just like all religions out there , i know there were no moses's staff, noah's ark and muhammeds flying fucking unicorn. but i don't know why , i feel so depressed ,sometimes i feel like being pulled back into Islam,i am active in several atheist groups like atheistrepublic, atheistnexus etc. but still i dont feel so good. so i searched for a forum to find people like me and reached here.Completely want to lose all religious shit and want to be happy .
    Please Help . :(

And Sorry if my english is bad.
    Thank you.

• New to Atheism, Needs Help
     Reply #1 - February 26, 2016, 09:29 PM

1) If Islam is false why many NON-Muslims convert to Islam ?

Converts to/from a belief system does not make the belief system right. Humans are prone to horrible reasoning and logic. We are also limited by the level of knowledge we have access to. If you only know about creationism then one will believe in it.  Some people convert for emotional reasons, some due to the arguments presented to them, some due to their inability to counter these arguments. Flip this question around. If Islam is true why do people still leave Islam? The same answers, maybe rephrased differently, will be the response.

2) I read many articles criticizing Muhammad's "Revelations" and Quran as Epileptic hallucinations, Fraud, etc. i have few doubts regarding this ;If Muhammad had epilepsy and believed angel Gibreel is really revealing him god's words then he would not make up his own messages(out of fear of god's anger)as some critics claim ; Many apologetic claim Muhammad was illiterate ( I don't know why , is there any hadith saying so? )if yes then how could an illiterate trader at his 40s can collect facts(from greek,roman,egyptian,torah,bible and many other sources ) within a short period (between his revelations) and make them up in to poetic verses and recite it to his desciples ?

The revelations need not be hallucinations but that the interpretations of the methods of communication of the revelations which is in error. Many take in academy take a view that Mo was a commentator as Judaism and Christianity was in Arab for centuries. Gabriel could merely be a literal device.

Oral communication and tradition easily can show that someone can be educated without requiring to read. It was the primary method of education, along with apprenticeship, for centuries. Even when reading become more common prior to the printing press route learning still used oral techniques as books were rare. Also consider he was still a trader. How can one trade while being illiterate? The same answer applies, it isn't required. Oral communication is enough. The whole illiterate claim, true or not, is made solely due to the modern view that being illiterate is not ideal. This is followed by an argument from incredulity, a fallacy. However think about this. Many of the cathedrals in Europe were built by illiterate masons yet a whole set of disciplines existed, produced results and was pass down to the next generation with a requirement of reading. This also shows, as pointed out above, that many people do not understand the education systems for the average person in the past compared to the current systems. Also consider the environment in which Mo existed in. Christianity and Judaism were part of this environment. When raised within any environment we all associate symbols, colours, icons, etc with cultural and environment norms. We take these norms for granted. People are taking Mo's environment for granted. These cultural and environment ideas are often taught without a requirement to read. I myself was taught parts of the Bible by my grandfather before I could read. If a child can be taught with oral communication a 50 year old man can

Have you talked with a friend before and remembered what they said? If you have, then Mo has. Now imagine if you were trying to memorize information from oral communication not merely remembering something unimportant. For example a lecture with no text.

You can read a lot of views here: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=27568.0
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »