Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Told by a psychiatrist that...

(Read 11469 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Told by a psychiatrist that...
     OP - February 24, 2016, 01:20 PM

I've been suffering from psychosis for the past three years and have had a few relapses since then.

One of the times I had a relapse I went to a and e and when I was seen by a psychiatrist. I was showing the typical signs of psychosis (hallucinations, delusions and paranoia). At the end of the assessment she said that what I was experiencing was due to jinn. I was taken a back on how unprofessional she was. I guess she only said that because I appeared to look Muslim, as I was wearing hijab.

I know for some people psychosis especially hallucinations believe it to be spiritual thing.

(Sorry if this doesn't make sense, as I'm currently hearing voices and hard to make sense of what I'm typing)

Reply #1 - February 24, 2016, 03:18 PM

That does make sense and what you've written is perfectly clear, even if that's not how you're feeling at the moment. And yes it's pretty shocking that you were faced with a psychiatrist talking about jinns.
     Reply #2 - February 24, 2016, 07:23 PM

I've been suffering from psychosis for the past three years and have had a few relapses since then.

One of the times I had a relapse I went to a and e and when I was seen by a psychiatrist. I was showing the typical signs of psychosis (hallucinations, delusions and paranoia). At the end of the assessment she said that what I was experiencing was due to jinn. I was taken a back on how unprofessional she was. I guess she only said that because I appeared to look Muslim, as I was wearing hijab.

I know for some people psychosis especially hallucinations believe it to be spiritual thing.

(Sorry if this doesn't make sense, as I'm currently hearing voices and hard to make sense of what I'm typing)

Trust me, it's not Jinns. It never was nor ever will be. It can't be Jinns at all. They don't exist.

DO NOT WASTE ANOTHER MINUTE UPON THAT NOTION.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #3 - February 24, 2016, 07:30 PM

Was the psychiatrist also muslim ? Just wondering.
     Reply #4 - February 24, 2016, 07:38 PM

Accepting the illness is the first, and most important step, to get well again. It's not jinn, it's a psychological ailment that can be treated. I've had experience with family members suffering from it, and it's not easy. Please, get in touch with a serious doctor and therapist who would help you deal with it, something like this requires medication and good health care.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #5 - February 24, 2016, 08:13 PM

Get a new therapist
     Reply #6 - February 24, 2016, 08:48 PM

Before or whilst getting anew psychiatrist lodge a complaint.

I'm sure one of the sensible forum members here will help you construct a letter of complaint. That person who told you had a jinn did more harm than good.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #7 - February 25, 2016, 01:45 AM

You need to see a credible medical professional immediately. I am sorry for your affliction, and I assure you that it is not djinn, you are simply ill and some medication would be quite helpful, I am sure.
    I am doubly sorry that you had to deal with incompetent medical help when you obviously required professionalism. Don´t give up, keep seeking medical assistance- because you will get relief from your suffering with good medical care.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #8 - February 25, 2016, 02:19 AM

Thank you for your responses.

Well the psychiatrist was Muslim and of south Asian. As she started to speak Urdu/Hindi.
    I didn't really think about complaining, as it never really registered to me that the psych was out of line.

I do know that jinns don't exist.
     Reply #9 - February 25, 2016, 02:22 AM

Ps the pschiatrst was not my personal dr. She was with accident and emergency.
     Reply #10 - February 25, 2016, 06:49 AM

You should lodge a complaint with the hospital.  You've obviously got the sense not to listen to her, but with a more vulnerable patient she would end up making them sicker, her bosses should know what she's doing.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #11 - February 25, 2016, 08:04 AM

Was this in Britian?  That doctor should have her license revoked.  Telling a person experiencing psychotic hallucinations that the cause is DEMONS?   This is beyond incompetence.  This is abuse.  You need to report this person.  Not just for you sake, but for the sake of any other ill person she might inflict her abuse on.  If you don't want to, I can do it for you.  
     Reply #12 - February 25, 2016, 08:05 AM

You should lodge a complaint with the hospital.  You've obviously got the sense not to listen to her, but with a more vulnerable patient she would end up making them sicker, her bosses should know what she's doing.

Jinx.  I mean, this beyond the pale.  She's actively feeding someone's delusions.  What in the world was she thinking?
     Reply #13 - February 25, 2016, 10:28 AM

Was this in Britian?  That doctor should have her license revoked.  Telling a person experiencing psychotic hallucinations that the cause is DEMONS?   This is beyond incompetence.  This is abuse.  You need to report this person.  Not just for you sake, but for the sake of any other ill person she might inflict her abuse on.  If you don't want to, I can do it for you.  

^This. Exactly what I was thinking.
     Reply #14 - February 25, 2016, 02:50 PM

I don't remember who the psych was or what her name was, so I doubt I can make a complaint.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. While I had the assessment there was another health professional there, she didn't say it then. It when she was alone with me (my sister was there too).

There was another incident where another psychiatrist who saw me at home.
     Reply #15 - February 25, 2016, 04:27 PM

Ask your sister what date this happened, and then report it to the hospital.  You won't need to know her name, their own records will show them who was on duty that day.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #16 - February 25, 2016, 06:50 PM

I don't remember who the psych was or what her name was, so I doubt I can make a complaint.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. While I had the assessment there was another health professional there, she didn't say it then. It when she was alone with me (my sister was there too).

There was another incident where another psychiatrist who saw me at home.

How are you feeling?

Reply #17 - March 01, 2016, 12:05 PM

In my opinion,

Our brain is such a complex design with mass memory cells over clusters. Sometimes when our brain in a tired state, and its has prolonged, our brains will and/or start to produce, resembles such a 'voices', or sometimes an 'images' and so on..  which some should happen in our time sleeping (dream). That is what happened in your memory cells. Appropriate medications can help 'relaxing' your brain from continuing doing unnecessary work.

Sometime our soul need something to feed on, and sometime the music can cure our soul to feeling better.
    I recommend aside from that, you can try this ..

# Give yourselves a break at least an hour by alone (in the middle of the night with good environment and fresher air. Turn on some good music.. Lay down yourselves on a reclining chair. Take a deep breath and hold for a seconds. Focus your mind and gazing deep down into your being, while breath out slowly..

Get the music here..
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/89lb6noy4c2dpq2/AABvUS2WheqjXOevYyhoDeVNa?dl=0

Limit yourself from negative people. Make friends with those who bring joy and make you smile.

“The only reason why people hold on to memories is because memories are the only thing that don’t change when everything else does”

You can be full of kindness and love, but you cannot sleep next to a mad dog
     Reply #18 - March 02, 2016, 02:08 PM

You're not getting rid off schizophrenia with listening to music and breathing. I know your advice is well meant, but people with mental health problem need to get treated with psychological and medical help from professionals.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #19 - March 03, 2016, 08:33 AM

According to patient information ..

1). The patient said she had been experiencing a 'psychosis' (do not say 'schizophrenia'). I believe that she was suffering from the disease in middle age, which began a few years ago. Surely there are signs or factors causing the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosis#Medication
    The term "psychosis" is very broad and can mean anything from relatively normal aberrant experiences through to the complex andcatatonic expressions of schizophrenia and bipolar type 1 disorder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia
    (Definition : “Schizophrenia” :  The  patients  suffers  from  paranoid  schizophrenia  which  is  a  mental  illness  within  the  meaning  of  the  Mental Health Act 1983.  -  A long-term  mental  disorder  of  a  type  involving  a  breakdown  in  the  relation  between  thought,  emotion,  and  behavior,  leading  to  faulty  perception, inappropriate  actions  and  feelings,  withdrawal  from  reality  and  personal  relationships into  fantasy  and  delusion,  and  a  sense  of  mental  fragmentation.)

2). Only psychiatric experts who can make such claims of that 'schizophrenia', by both observation the patient's medical record. Sometimes the medication like 'zoloft' or 'prozac' is given to cure the illness. Patients with 'psychosis' have a chance to heal better than 'schizophrenia'.

3). There are bunch of people out there who claim to see/hear of ghost stuff,. Or sometimes face horrific events and after that often imagined and heard a scream, and went to see a psychiatrist, but still,.. does NOT make them of both illness.

4). It is common thing in islamic countries where a muslim psychiatrist recommending a  patients to meditate the way of their beliefs (in this case, islamic ritual). Actually, it's a way of meditation to relaxing one mind and soul. Other religions also have too... said the same thing, in a different contexts. From my experience collaborate with some psychiatrists in the past.. I believe, with a goods treatment from a good psychiatrists and medicines, you have a wide hope of recovery.

Reply #20 - March 03, 2016, 08:43 AM

Dude, I know what a psychosis is. It's not treated by meditation and music. Especially not when it has been going on for a long period time. She mentioned hearing voices, that is a psychosis with scizofrenic tendencies.

Reply #21 - March 03, 2016, 08:50 AM

Feeling fine, thanks for asking.

How are you feeling?

Reply #22 - March 03, 2016, 08:57 AM

In my view, she was in the beginning of the illness, likely not one severe psychiatric disorders, and that occur at the time she's in a stressful situation or a desperate.. she can state that clearly was she?.. she was in a state of full consciousness at the time she post that?.. why not ask her.. for better understanding of conditions?

Reply #23 - March 03, 2016, 10:47 AM

Have you witnessed a psychosis? I have, in different stages. Even though a person is aware of it happening, not being right in the center of a delusional brain meltdown, it's not something you "cure" with your lame ass advice. It's irresponsible and down right stupid to tell someone to "meditate" away a mental health problem. And people like that piss me off, it's the same type of people who advice depressed people to "go out, and meet new friends" in order to get better again.

Reply #24 - March 03, 2016, 10:49 AM

Leave it AGEO please as no doubt her current state is not up for debate. Leave it please.

Kuro pleased to hear from you...please keep in touch anytime.

Reply #25 - March 03, 2016, 02:58 PM

Are you calling me a patient? If you are then DO NOT call me one, you're not my doctor.

Yes, psychosis is broad. Psychosis is a name of symptoms, which is mostly connected with other mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, bipolar, depression, schizoaffective, boarderline personality disorder etc.

The definition you have pasted here of what schizophrenia, is wrong! The paranoid in paranoid schizophrenia is a subtype of schizophrenia. Another subtype is catatonic schizophrenia amongst others.

Zoloft and Prozac are both antiDepressents and are not used to cure the illness. The illness cannot be cured. The medication which is used to treat schizophrenia are anti-psychotics for example: olanzapine, aripiprazole etc. Yes, those who have been diagnosed with psychosis tend to get better than those with schizophrenia.

I didn't post here to get advise for how to cope with my mental health issues!!!

Lastly, please if you're going to copy and past information about mental health get it from the right place like the MIND and Rethink website dedicated to giving info and help about mental health disorders.

Apologies for the awful grammar and punctuation.

According to patient information ..

1). The patient said she had been experiencing a 'psychosis' (do not say 'schizophrenia'). I believe that she was suffering from the disease in middle age, which began a few years ago. Surely there are signs or factors causing the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosis#Medication
    The term "psychosis" is very broad and can mean anything from relatively normal aberrant experiences through to the complex andcatatonic expressions of schizophrenia and bipolar type 1 disorder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia
    (Definition : “Schizophrenia” :  The  patients  suffers  from  paranoid  schizophrenia  which  is  a  mental  illness  within  the  meaning  of  the  Mental Health Act 1983.  -  A long-term  mental  disorder  of  a  type  involving  a  breakdown  in  the  relation  between  thought,  emotion,  and  behavior,  leading  to  faulty  perception, inappropriate  actions  and  feelings,  withdrawal  from  reality  and  personal  relationships into  fantasy  and  delusion,  and  a  sense  of  mental  fragmentation.)

2). Only psychiatric experts who can make such claims of that 'schizophrenia', by both observation the patient's medical record. Sometimes the medication like 'zoloft' or 'prozac' is given to cure the illness. Patients with 'psychosis' have a chance to heal better than 'schizophrenia'.

3). There are bunch of people out there who claim to see/hear of ghost stuff,. Or sometimes face horrific events and after that often imagined and heard a scream, and went to see a psychiatrist, but still,.. does NOT make them of both illness.

4). It is common thing in islamic countries where a muslim psychiatrist recommending a  patients to meditate the way of their beliefs (in this case, islamic ritual). Actually, it's a way of meditation to relaxing one mind and soul. Other religions also have too... said the same thing, in a different contexts. From my experience collaborate with some psychiatrists in the past.. I believe, with a goods treatment from a good psychiatrists and medicines, you have a wide hope of recovery.

Reply #26 - March 03, 2016, 03:03 PM

Music is not a cure and is only temporary. I know of coping strategies etc.

i want to say more but I'd probably offend you etc so I won't say anything else about your opinion here.

In my opinion,

Our brain is such a complex design with mass memory cells over clusters. Sometimes when our brain in a tired state, and its has prolonged, our brains will and/or start to produce, resembles such a 'voices', or sometimes an 'images' and so on..  which some should happen in our time sleeping (dream). That is what happened in your memory cells. Appropriate medications can help 'relaxing' your brain from continuing doing unnecessary work.

Sometime our soul need something to feed on, and sometime the music can cure our soul to feeling better.
    I recommend aside from that, you can try this ..

# Give yourselves a break at least an hour by alone (in the middle of the night with good environment and fresher air. Turn on some good music.. Lay down yourselves on a reclining chair. Take a deep breath and hold for a seconds. Focus your mind and gazing deep down into your being, while breath out slowly..

Get the music here..
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/89lb6noy4c2dpq2/AABvUS2WheqjXOevYyhoDeVNa?dl=0

Limit yourself from negative people. Make friends with those who bring joy and make you smile.

“The only reason why people hold on to memories is because memories are the only thing that don’t change when everything else does”

Reply #27 - March 03, 2016, 03:10 PM

Yes, meditation and music isn't a treatment, but for some it does help with symptoms. For me meditation doesn't help and music help sometimes when I'm hearing voices.

Actually, hearing voices doesn't mean I have schizophrenic tendencies.

Dude, I know what a psychosis is. It's not treated by meditation and music. Especially not when it has been going on for a long period time. She mentioned hearing voices, that is a psychosis with scizofrenic tendencies.

Reply #28 - March 03, 2016, 03:17 PM

Thanks!

Leave it AGEO please as no doubt her current state is not up for debate. Leave it please.

Kuro pleased to hear from you...please keep in touch anytime.

Reply #29 - March 03, 2016, 03:25 PM

There's something that I didn't mention in the post, which I thought was irrelevant, but thought I should state here.

In my medical documents I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but haven't been told face to face.
    I found out after I was admitted into hospital and referred to the home treatment team.

Psychiatrists get diagnoses wrong all the time and change it all the time. So I didn't see fit to mention that in my post and just said psychosis.

If you want to know about psychosis, schizophrenia or other mental disorder look at MIND and Rethink.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »