Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: Do you think Britain should leave the EU?  (Voting closed: March 18, 2016, 08:18 PM)
  • Yes - 9 (42.9%)
  • No - 12 (57.1%)
  • Undecided - 0 (0%)
  • Total Voters: 21

Topic: Brexit - yes or no?

(Read 39629 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 10 11 1213 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #330 - July 13, 2016, 02:24 PM

Not a fuck was given lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gz6mZYxS0A&feature=youtu.be
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #331 - July 13, 2016, 05:35 PM

Nor here, in his leaving no 10 speech...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36778350
    (can't find it on YouTube yet)

But it was nice to see him and his family getting into a 2 year old Ford Galaxy, not some super expensive, unnecessary SUV!
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #332 - July 14, 2016, 08:10 PM

Boris Johnson as foreign minister.  Erm..... Huh?

Cheesy

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #333 - July 14, 2016, 08:22 PM

Boris Johnson as foreign minister.  Erm.....

Boris Johnson speaks: http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/johnson-fo-offences-caused-list.345571/page-2#post-14606371
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #334 - July 14, 2016, 09:42 PM

Some mixed responses from that crowd Grin
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #335 - July 14, 2016, 09:54 PM

Lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=xv7Jd94bnOI
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #336 - July 14, 2016, 10:27 PM

Cheesy   Cheesy

Much more entertaining than this: Theresa May's Prime Minister speech. Let's hope she can do at least some of what she's promising. The reshuffle was certainly bold, as were her words on working people vs select few.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBjPw196_u0&feature=youtu.be
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #337 - July 14, 2016, 11:33 PM

Her speech is funny even without any editing  Lol

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #338 - July 15, 2016, 08:23 AM

Boris Johnson as foreign minister.  Erm..... Huh?

Cheesy

Seems to be a clever but risky strategic move. Keeps him out of the country so he can't gain a rebel following here, and ensures the Brexit camp will take responsibility (or blame, if it all goes wrong) for what they were campaigning for. I wonder if May plays chess...
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #339 - July 15, 2016, 08:26 AM

Her speech is funny even without any editing  Lol

In what way, INcePtion?
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #340 - July 15, 2016, 04:01 PM

Intonation, inflection, tone of voice, body language

There's much that goes into making a speech convincing, simply words are not enough.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #341 - July 28, 2016, 03:15 PM

Waterford Whispers sums up the mood of the European continent.....

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/07/27/eu-ask-britain-if-theyre-fucking-going-or-not/

“YOU know how you’ll be at a house party and someone will say they’re leaving, and then a half-hour later you see them still chatting away to people while drinking all the cans? It’s like that,” said Angela Merkel today, speaking about Britain’s refusal to live up to the ‘Brexit’ promised last month. "

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #342 - November 03, 2016, 11:49 AM

Interesting....

High court says parliament must vote on triggering article 50

https://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/the-brexit-process.347620/page-16#post-14771685
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #343 - November 03, 2016, 12:15 PM

A poll on suitable mood music: which of the following two expresses current British politics better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

Still, pity the poor Brexiter, for whom the spectacle of British judges in a British court of law insisting upon the paramount sovereignty of a British Parliament is now an act of treason. Not at all why 'we' wanted the freedom to make British laws free from Brussels' interventions, as I'm sure we'd all agree.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #344 - November 03, 2016, 02:45 PM

Meanwhile, Jeremy Corbyn is still all for a Lexit. Still, I suppose Parliamentary scrutiny is the point, not the serial self owning,
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #345 - November 04, 2016, 02:06 PM

A high point in our collective political discourse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwsQ_5Wm4oo
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #346 - November 04, 2016, 02:31 PM

Still, pity the poor Brexiter, for whom the spectacle of British judges in a British court of law insisting upon the paramount sovereignty of a British Parliament is now an act of treason. Not at all why 'we' wanted the freedom to make British laws free from Brussels' interventions, as I'm sure we'd all agree.

Hmm let me read this

https://www.rt.com/uk/365249-may-india-apology-tharoor/

Theresa May should ‘beg forgiveness’ for Britain’s colonial ‘sins’ – Indian MP

Britain should exit from everywhere  from all over the planet., All the people of the globe who were ruled by England in the last 2 centuries  or so until 2nd world war should build a wall around England,  Brexiters  and  those who support Brexit from Europe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7CW7S0zxv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyMjJFSez1w

That Indian guy is smart .,  I Think England owes some 2 trillion pounds to Pakistan

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #347 - November 04, 2016, 06:13 PM

And before they get to paying out to Pakistan, they can give us Northern Ireland back.   We don't want an external EU border across the north of our country, thanks.

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #348 - November 04, 2016, 06:44 PM

If we are really living in a political post-truth era, then it won't hurt to read the actual high court judgement to fight against the scourge. But anyone who has a particular weakness for this sort of ding dong shouldn't lose too much sleep over it, I'd say.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #349 - November 04, 2016, 06:52 PM

Perhaps if enough cognitive dissonance can be brought to bear on it, we'll end up with Sharia law instead, and to universal applause.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #350 - November 04, 2016, 07:07 PM

And before they get to paying out to Pakistan, they can give us Northern Ireland back.   We don't want an external EU border across the north of our country, thanks.

Sinn Fein are now (apparently)* thinking of showing up to Parliament at long last - amazing in itself - because they reckon a Brexit would finally trash the Good Friday agreement. Funny times we live in.

* ETA: I got bamboozled by a headline and commented accordingly. Oops.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #351 - November 04, 2016, 07:11 PM

Sinn Féin won't take their seats in Westminster, they only have four anyway so they wouldn't make any difference to the result. 

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #352 - November 04, 2016, 07:17 PM

Toor, in May 2012 I was in Cairo for a whole month and had the fleeting chance to sit to three interesting brotherhood chappies, not too far from Rabaa Al-Adawiya Mosque.

One is clearly from the digerati, the other a consultant heart surgeon and the third is a graphic designer (and the school mate who taught me how use a computer in Unaizah).

You would not believe how much the trio were so pro-democracy and the rule of law -- it probably had something to do with the parliamentary majority boot being in their preferred foot and political party.

So, I asked them a simple question after which I had to launch on one of my constitutional tirades:

Would it be lawful if the Egyptian parliament unanimously voted to expel all the Jewish and coptic citizens from the country?

The answer came a resounding Yes.

Ok. How about if parliament voted in favour of adopting [33:33] (وقرنّ في بيوتكن) and physically confining women to their households?

Yes, it came back again.

In their ardent belief in parliamentary democracy these clean-shaved brothers thought that everything was subject to the will of the people in a democracy including human rights and the right to dispense with minorities.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #353 - November 04, 2016, 07:44 PM

I think I take your point (if your point was that such an attitude to political authority and legitimacy - he who rightfully governs always governs rightfully - is a key to all sorts of evils), but surely the situation given rise to by this ruling doesn't present that many direct parallels - yet?

In fact, to rewind: my understanding of this ruling is that it re-stated the post-Civil War constitutional settlement: that the powers of the Crown (i.e., the prerogative powers exercised by the government) when it comes to changing domestic laws are necessarily circumscribed by Parliamentary approval. Now, I'm not looking to Parliament to legislatively block any Brexit at this point - certainly Labour might seem to have adopted a very May-ish stance if this is to be believed, and so much for a Lexit - for two reasons.

Firstly, even in a best-case scenario, I don't think the referendum result will be consequence-free from the point of view of the rest of the EU - we are probably now at a stage where 'good riddance' no matter what will be the governing sentiment there, but that's more of a gut feeling on my part.

Second, I have no trust in the ability of MPs of the two major parties to see past the pitchfork-waving types who have come to be so public recently. Their unabashed belief in the powers of the executive that must remain untrammeled for One and Only One Purpose is genuinely something to marvel at; in a sense, they would seem to share a parallel, naive belief in the power of well-deployed autocratic moments to the sort you described in your happy believers.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #354 - November 04, 2016, 08:23 PM

What Parliament in our democracy can bring to bear on the Brexit process is limiting executive belligerence and the power of those who are trying to arrogate it to themselves to interpret what such a complex question as ‘Brexit’ actually means.

As the court ruling shows, May cannot -- under the pretence of strengthening the hand of the Government in the coming re-negotiation with and the subsequent, expected political departure from the EU -- bypass Parliament. Even the Tory grandee Kenneth Clarke (today) sees how bizarre it is for the Government to change the (unwritten) constitution on the advisory strength of a single plebiscite. He forgot to include that (this bloody hard) May didn't even get to power through winning a general election herself (an opportunistic possibility that in the current climate cannot completely be excluded, seeing Labour's woeful parliamentary disarray).

Yes, the historical parallels are fewer than it is desired by those of us hungry for a sense of legal ‘certainty’ (sure, Brexit might yet be set to begin as a process next March and all 'judiciary derailments' might fail for one or another reason to halt Brexit) but what seems to become clearer is that the so-called "Hard" Brexit is seemingly unlikely to take place for more considerations than I care to say. That's what was in question at the high court as something May seems to try to bring about by excluding Parliament from the process: its triggering, what might come after it until we depart from the EU.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #355 - November 04, 2016, 08:38 PM

Regardless of what procedure is used to trigger Article 50, and regardless of what the UK Parliament says on the subject, unless the British government is prepared to accept freedom of movement there will be a hard Brexit, because the EU will insist on it.  Britain is not going to be allowed to cherry pick the four freedoms which make up the founding principle of the EU, if they reject one, they lose them all.

So its either continued freedom of movement with continued single market access, or hard Brexit and the UK joins the lengthy queue for a trade deal, somewhere behind Uganda.

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #356 - November 04, 2016, 09:15 PM

A Lexit might be reasonably expected to include freedom of movement as well as continuing ECJ jurisdiction, if not single market membership. Despite Starmer saying that Labour doesn't want a hard Brexit in the thing I linked to, it seems that freedom of movement, European Court of Justice jurisdiction, and Single Market membership aren't on the cards for Labour either. Perhaps this is triangulation; it's hardly as if visible numbers of the PLP haven't claimed to be feeling "legitimate concerns" (ho, ho) lately, and I'll be very surprised if enough Tory MPs will feel sufficiently brave and Burkean when the time comes.

Bring on our brave new future, I guess.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #357 - November 04, 2016, 09:22 PM

Lexit is a fantasy.  Anyone who expected Lexit to result from leaving the EU under a Tory government was living in la la land.  We've already seen the writing on the wall with Nissan being given a secret sweetheart deal to protect their shareholders profits, and rumblings of lowering corporation tax to zero to protect the financial interests in the City of London.   Brexit will move Britain to the right, not the left.

Enjoy the NHS while it lasts, because I have a feeling that with the likes of Jacob Rees Mogg stalking the corridors of power, its quite high on the list of goodies to be privatised.

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #358 - November 04, 2016, 09:26 PM

My point is that Lexit is - well, was - a reasonable gambit for a Labour Party trying to seize something resembling an initiative. Whether it is achievable isn't the point. As to the NHS, we've had Jeremy Hunt in charge for long enough to see that bit of writing on the wall, thanks.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #359 - November 04, 2016, 09:42 PM

I think the only part of the UK where the NHS will survive as universally free at point of use post Brexit is Scotland.  Assuming of course that the Scots don't leave the UK altogether, which is also looking increasingly likely.

• Previous page 1 ... 10 11 1213 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »