Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: Do you think Britain should leave the EU?  (Voting closed: March 18, 2016, 08:18 PM)
  • Yes - 9 (42.9%)
  • No - 12 (57.1%)
  • Undecided - 0 (0%)
  • Total Voters: 21

Topic: Brexit - yes or no?

(Read 39648 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 13 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #30 - February 24, 2016, 10:11 AM

Cameron wants to stay, he's made that quite clear.  Its the Nigel Farages and Boris Johnsons who want to leave.  Ultimately it will be the public who make the decision though.

I have zero faith in the British public (the ones who actually vote) to make a decision that is of benefit to them.   Cry

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #31 - February 24, 2016, 10:44 AM

What way do you want the vote to go, Berbs?

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #32 - February 24, 2016, 11:08 AM

I'd prefer to stay in the EU.  The arguments for coming out are too nationalistic for me. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #33 - February 24, 2016, 07:33 PM

The Brits will choose to stay. The economic arguments are not well known therefore it is best to keep the status-quo then to vote for change.

However, referendums have a typically low turnout (discounting the 80% or so for the SI referendum) and this means that the more politically active members who may want to exit as it is their single-issue (UKIP) will be over-representated in the ballot as most of the electorate choose to stay at home.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #34 - February 24, 2016, 09:57 PM

The thing that annoys me about the UKIP-ist arguments on sovereignty is that they are being advanced by people unable or unwilling to grasp one very obvious detail: the UK signing up to various supra-national trade agreements limiting its sovereignty in its aftermath will be more or less inevitable.

The main difference, I suspect, is that these newer agreements will have less of a framework to protect labour rights by default. But that's fine, 'cos no more EU means less pesky regulation, and our workers are clearly far too coddled as they are. Or something.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #35 - February 26, 2016, 08:44 PM

Eh, well hell no,  I certainly don't want less rights for workers. Why do we need the EU to have workers rights protected - surely we can make fair laws for workers ourselves?

IMO I think the EU will collapse anyway if we leave.

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #36 - February 26, 2016, 09:31 PM

If you can see this government (or any in the New Labour mould) advancing the cause of workers' rights - rather than the conditions for an ever growing precariat - you can see something I can't.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #37 - February 27, 2016, 11:56 PM

Eh, well hell no,  I certainly don't want less rights for workers. Why do we need the EU to have workers rights protected - surely we can make fair laws for workers ourselves?

It was EU directives that implemented fair worker's rights, maternity leave, anti-discrimination laws and many other rights enjoyed by EU citizens today. I would rather be guaranteed these things instead of hoping that our government, which is in the process of privatising our healthcare system and scrapping the main human rights legislation will maintain appropriate legislation upon exiting the EU. People complain that the Union puts a limit on Britains sovereignty but what benefits does full sovereignty actual give us as citizens?
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #38 - February 28, 2016, 12:08 AM

When you hear politicians arguing 'we want our sovereignty back' they mean 'we want less accountability' as membership of the EU means that we actually have to abide by certain policies/laws and that pressure will be mounted. Yes it may take longer to get things done, which is a good thing as this time allows to think things through.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #39 - February 28, 2016, 12:44 AM

Precisely  Afro
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #40 - February 28, 2016, 02:20 AM

The EU will not collapse if you leave.  The 27 other countries of the EU will make sure that whatever trade agreements agreed with the UK after a Brexit are punitive enough to deter the others. 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #41 - April 22, 2016, 07:34 PM

Barack Obama says Britain will be at the back of the queue for a trade deal if they exit the EU.  Boris Johnson says Obama doesn't like Britain because of his "Kenyan heritage". 

Ah, the special relationship.

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #42 - April 22, 2016, 07:57 PM

Boris Johnson being the 'special' part.

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #43 - April 22, 2016, 08:14 PM

It's funny, really. Years ago, a lot of people would've hoped that the old special relationship would take up any slack and that our future lay in a genuine partnership with the US in a Brexit-type situation. The reality - as anyone who watched the state of the special relationship during the Thatcher and Blair years might attest - is that Britain is at the mercy of US policymakers' ideas of what US domestic interests are, and these policymakers have never really considered Britain a major player enough to give up any real advantage in dealing with it, never mind consider it a worthy partner in many things.

Of course, who ends up as the next President of the US may matter more here; a Cruz Presidency looks like it might be fairly isolationist, and a Clinton one is, while more likely to pay more lip service to multilateralism, will do so only if it's assumed that US interests come first; in the first scenario, a post-Brexit Britain obviously becomes less relevant to the US than in the second, but by how much is an open question.

This doom-mongering comes to you from the bottom of a bottle of wine rather than any inherent powers of prognostication, but I like to think it's still grounded in some form of reality.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #44 - April 22, 2016, 08:32 PM

I think its been apparent for decades that the special relationship is on America's terms only.  That applies to Democrats and Republicans alike.  I wouldn't advise any sensible person to expect the US to do Britain any favours in the event of a Brexit.

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #45 - April 23, 2016, 12:35 AM

The fucks's Brexit got to do with us, son?

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #46 - April 23, 2016, 10:15 AM

I have zero faith in the British public (the ones who actually vote) to make a decision that is of benefit to them.   Cry

British public   are trained since their birth to be a Poodle to kings  queens and politicians ... The game these rulers  play in recent years is simple  and public can not realize that game with their poodle brain.   .."Stay in power always and use some 100 square mile Islands and run some tax evasion heavens  to keep their money safe.,   It becomes difficult to  do such activities  if you are member of European union.. 

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #47 - April 23, 2016, 10:17 AM

The fucks's Brexit got to do with us, son?

what does that word "us" stands for asbie ? US of A or  asbie + others?

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #48 - April 23, 2016, 01:59 PM

Oh snap, hadn't thought of that. I'll get back to you later yeez.

By the way, what do you think of the man in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN-JNBEFK50

Think carefully, because your answer will determine the future course of our friendship...

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #49 - April 23, 2016, 02:12 PM

Think carefully, because your answer will determine the future course of our friendship...

Hmm., Something valuable seems to be is at stake here .,  So my answer is .,

.......He is multi talented guy,  he will not be able survive in Pakistan so he is dancing around Indians and his young wife is terribly confused....  I guess he seems to have moves that American Prince died unexpectedly so may this guys should move to US of A and practice more of his dance moves asbie....  

and I hope the friendship survives with that answer..

anyways So  how did Prince die at the age of 57?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWPFZoDTdPM

Hmm.,  Shoab Aktar does seem to have some resemblance to that American Prince  but he need to loose lot of his fat.....

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #50 - April 23, 2016, 03:27 PM

I didn't know enough about Prince, other than his basketball skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXRjaLR2L3o

And of course yeez, your answer is more than acceptable!  Big hug

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #51 - April 23, 2016, 08:19 PM

I, as a brand new British citizen, haven’t made up my mind on how to vote — or indeed if I’m going to vote at all in the EU referendum. However, some people are wondering — and I am one of them — if Brexit is so survival and so existential a threat and the consequences are so far-reaching for us in Britain, was it at all sensible or in the national interest for us to have a vote on it in the first place?
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #52 - April 23, 2016, 08:42 PM

However, some people are wondering — and I am one of them — if Brexit is so survival and so existential a threat and the consequences are so far-reaching for us in Britain, was it at all sensible or in the national interest for us to have a vote on it in the first place?

This is, of course, an eminently sensible question. I recently re-read this on democratic participation as an exercise in ressentiment, and it left me wondering if analogous considerations apply to the pro-Brexit types' favoured constituencies. That is, people who feel like they have no stake in the process or its outcomes and wishing to assert themselves in administering a spiteful slap to, well, anyone who doesn't live a similarly angry existence, and bugger the consequences. We all know them well enough to generalise about them - they tend to be older, white, determinedly provincial in outlook if not by residence, and nostalgic for a Britain that is no longer theirs; whether it was ever theirs was always questionable, but there it is.
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #53 - April 23, 2016, 09:13 PM

Thanks, I will read it tonight. But lemme explore one aspect of the debate and tell me what you, toor, think.

It is about too much reference being made to immigration in the debate (to which Cheetah has validly drawn our attention in Feb) and it being bound up with the whole thing. That is something which would likely concern those low-skilled Europeans whom the contingency of people you mentioned above are likely to dislike and triumphantly look down on.

If so, British politicians of all hues properly know that fully turning the British welfare system into a contributory system would instantaneously solve the problem with soi-disant EU welfare tourism.

Instead of opting for this legal, fundamental and permanent solution to such a (real to some but perceived to others) problem, which would certainly be commenting a political suicide at home, Britain is effectively seeking welfare discrimination against EU citizens in the same way it succeeded, like the rest of EU countries, in exercising discrimination of this sort against non-EU citizens for the mere foreignness of these other nationals.

Britain knows it cannot be part of the EU and at the same time discriminate against EU citizens on things like universal welfare, but Britain seeks and will always seek preferential treatment (i.e. discrimination by another name) and try to maintain what the current government calls ‘a special status’ within this union of the otherwise equal. This is because of something that strikes me as obvious but it doesn’t seem politically tactful to make it explicit, and it is often hard to articulate without drawing charges of supremacy (or what David Miliband refers to in a recent Guardian article as “acting as though the world owes us a break”).

This something is that the European Union is not made up of equal states in many, many respects and this basic negative statement is objectively true, regardless of the particular political leaning of its maker.

To draw an analogy, it is ridiculous to suppose that America’s membership in the United Nations should compare to that of my country of origin, Chad, because they both subscribe to the same political entity. No. There’s more to it than that. Equally ridiculous is to suppose that Britain’s standing in the EU — its military power, its language, its technological advancements, its economy, currency and purchasing power, its political clout etc etc etc — should compare to that of, say, Romania, Portugal, Finland or Lithuania. The EU might be an equalised union but it is decidedly not one of equivalence. This might be the keenly felt, rarely articulated ratiocination behind it all.

Thus, if it’s at all an issue, then it is Britain’s misfortune – as far as its annual EU budgetary contribution is concerned – to have the second biggest GDP in the union as well as being the fastest growing economy. Britain cannot agree to a contributory percentage and then get worked up about paying more into the EU budget as a result of it being more economically prosperous than most members or it being more than what it gets back in rebates.

The other relevant issue pertaining to EU immigration is of course that of Britain having higher wages in comparison to some EU countries, with the recent Living Wage, making it more attractive for workers from these countries to exercise their treaty right to come to work and live in Britain.

So for Britain when it comes to EU immigration, it is either to discriminate and seek preferential treatment without facing any resistance from the EU and without changing the nature of its own welfare system OR making it unattractive for low-skilled EU workers to come and work in it by virtue of giving them lower wages without having that impact on its own British people. In your opinion, is there a way to square this circle?
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #54 - April 23, 2016, 09:39 PM

So for Britain when it comes to EU immigration, it is either to discriminate and seek preferential treatment without facing any resistance from the EU and without changing the nature of its own welfare system OR making it unattractive for low-skilled EU workers to come and work in it by virtue of giving them lower wages without having that impact on its own British people. In your opinion, is there a way to square this circle?

There's no way to do either of those things within the EU.  Discriminating against EU citizens in either welfare or wages would be a breach of some very fundamental EU treaties and laws.  They would have to change either welfare or wages for everybody including their own citizens if they wanted to make Britain a less attractive destination for people from poorer EU countries. 

And, of course, on the other hand if they do that they won't get elected.  And if they want to pull out of the EU so that they can discriminate against non-Brits, they lose access to the Single Market which currently accounts for around 40% of UK exports, and may also precipitate the break up of the UK itself as Scotland and Northern Ireland may want to leave.

There's no perfect option really, its just a question of which you think is the least worst option.

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #55 - April 23, 2016, 11:20 PM

There's no way to do either of those things within the EU.  Discriminating against EU citizens in either welfare or wages would be a breach of some very fundamental EU treaties and laws.  They would have to change either welfare or wages for everybody including their own citizens if they wanted to make Britain a less attractive destination for people from poorer EU countries.  

And, of course, on the other hand if they do that they won't get elected.  And if they want to pull out of the EU so that they can discriminate against non-Brits, they lose access to the Single Market which currently accounts for around 40% of UK exports, and may also precipitate the break up of the UK itself as Scotland and Northern Ireland may want to leave.

There's no perfect option really, its just a question of which you think is the least worst option.

There's no way to do either of those things within the EU.  Discriminating against EU citizens in either welfare or wages would be a breach of some very fundamental EU treaties and laws.  They would have to change either welfare or wages for everybody including their own citizens if they wanted to make Britain a less attractive destination for people from poorer EU countries.  

And, of course, on the other hand if they do that they won't get elected.  And if they want to pull out of the EU so that they can discriminate against non-Brits, they lose access to the Single Market which currently accounts for around 40% of UK exports, and may also precipitate the break up of the UK itself as Scotland and Northern Ireland may want to leave.

I'm inclined to agree with you there; it's the lesser evil when we apply empirical reasoning in lieu of general rationality. But we shouldn't underestimate the power of suggestion or reverse psychology that such things as the Obama visit can exercise over us, but what do I really know when I'm in a bar, drunk and typing on my phone like right now?
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #56 - April 23, 2016, 11:28 PM

Ha!  In vino veritas, Wahhabist.   

Have a great night out.   Afro

• Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #57 - April 24, 2016, 03:55 AM

I recently re-read this on democratic participation as an exercise in ressentiment

I have now got home and read We, The Spiteful by Mark Ames. It pointed to me to a very familiar direction of democratic travel where its forms of political agency become the perfect ideal when in practical human realities these conceptually are the least bad and unjustified options.

The great American wit and polemicist H L Mencken showed unambiguous cognitive dissonance (some would say, downright elitism) in the first paragraph of Notes on Democracy towards the man and woman on the street having any intrinsically deeper wisdom that really justifies seeking their opinions in principle when it comes to big or small governmental matters.

The opening paragraph of it below is on the same wavelength as the familiar, if less than strong Islamic hadith on the validity as well as rectitude of Islamic consensus; that of “my Ummah will not unite upon misguidance” — narrated by Ibn Majah and Tabarani. (The Islamic text being a terrible (prick)tease, the Ummah here does not seem to mean the nebulous masses constituting the Ummah in their individual human beings, but it rather conveniently is those of authentic knowledge of Islam, even though the Ummah does definitely mean the nebulous masses in their individual human beings according to the Maliki mathhab as it grants evidential weight and status to what the people of Medina simply did during the Three Best Centuries, and the reason for this is because as the prophet lived and died amongst them, they couldn’t have strayed that far from his guidance in action.)

"Democracy came into the Western World to the tune of sweet, soft music. There was, at the start, no harsh bawling from below; there was only a dulcet twittering from above. Democratic man thus began as an ideal being, full of ineffable virtues and romantic wrongs – in brief, as Rousseau’s noble savage in smock and jerkin, brought out of the tropical wilds to shame the lords and masters of the civilised lands. The fact continues to have important consequences to this day. It remains impossible, as it was in the eighteenth century, to separate the democratic idea from the theory that there is a mystical merit, an esoteric and ineradicable rectitude, in the man at the bottom of the scale — that inferiority, by some strange magic, becomes a sort of superiority — nay, the superiority of superiorities. Everywhere on earth, save where in the enlightenment of the modern age is confessedly in transient eclipse, the movement is toward the completer and more enamoured enfranchisement of the lower orders. Down there, one hears, lies a deep, illimitable reservoir of righteousness and wisdom, unpolluted by the corruption of privilege. What baffles statesmen is to be solved by the people, instantly and by a sort of seraphic intuition. Their yearnings are pure; they alone are capable of a perfect patriotism; in them is the only hope of peace and happiness on this lugubrious ball. The cure for the evils of democracy is more democracy!"
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #58 - April 24, 2016, 04:16 AM

Ha!  In vino veritas, Wahhabist.   

Have a great night out.   Afro

That's what a pulchritudinous thing used to tell me that I used to tell her after I have sobered up. I'm not sure if she didn't, at one occasion, probably in the following couple of days, jog my memory with a visual aid; some calligraphy of versified filth I had written her.

Thanks and good night now xx
  • Brexit - yes or no?
     Reply #59 - April 24, 2016, 04:21 AM

If you're quoting the likes of Mencken after a night out, it obviously wasn't a good one.  Did you not see a good example of your fellow Man?   piggy

• Previous page 1 23 4 ... 13 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »