Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Self-Invention of Maajid Nawaz

(Read 53023 times)
  • 12 3 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The Self-Invention of Maajid Nawaz
     OP - February 05, 2016, 11:30 PM

Maajid Nawaz, a native Briton of Pakistani background, tells a compelling personal story of his odyssey from extremist Islam to enlightenment. He burst onto the scene in 2008, when he began marketing himself as an expert witness on the threat of radical Islamism. Since then he has appeared with CNN’s Anderson Cooper and Fox News’ Megyn Kelly, HBO’s Bill Maher and National Public Radio’s Terry Gross, and been given the stage at high-profile “thought leader” gatherings hosted by Aspen Ideas and Ted Talks. Nawaz has delivered speeches at the British Liberal Democratic Party’s annual conference and run as a parliamentary candidate, testified before the U.S. Senate, discussed Islam on a panel at Harvard, and even held forth at a seminar at the Tribeca Film Festival.

He founded his own think tank in London, the Quilliam Foundation, which is devoted to “deradicalizing” and received $3.8 million funding from the British government. He has been feted by a wide swath of admirers from left-wing heiress Jemima Khan to George W. Bush. An embarrassing public implosion in Britain has not drifted across the Atlantic to affect his status in the U.S., where he is acclaimed in neoconservative circles as a courageous truth-teller.

Recently, Nawaz has trained his firepower on leftists and liberals, equating them with Islamic extremists if they express opposition to Islamophobia. Branding them the "regressive left," Nawaz asserts that by refusing to criticize the religion of Islam, progressives are doing nothing less than enabling ISIS.

“It is self-evident that ISIS have got something to do with Islam," Nawaz told an interviewer from Australia’s 7 News. “When ISIS throws gays off the top of buildings, they are using scripture. In fact there are traditions ascribed to the prophet where it says that is exactly the punishment that should be given to gays. I’m not saying that is Islam, I am saying that is a view of Islam justified by scripture.” (Nawaz refused multiple requests to comment for this article.)

Nawaz’s authority, authenticity and appeal are rooted in the captivating details of his dramatic conversion. It is a story he told in his 2012 autobiography, Radical: My Journey from Islamist Extremism to a Democratic Awakening, which marked his emergence onto the public stage in the United States after several years of prominence in the UK.

Nawaz’s memoirs make riveting reading, and his critique of the perils of Islamist authoritarianism appears eminently sensible. Particularly after the terrorist attacks in Paris and San Bernardino, the issues he raises of homegrown radicalization and the segregation of Muslim citizens in some Western societies are pertinent. His story revolves around his membership in the London branch of Hizb ut-Tahrir (HT), a global radical Islamist movement operational in some 50 countries. After joining the cult-like group in the mid-1990s, Nawaz rose through its ranks for over a decade. His extremist activities led to his imprisonment in Egypt under the regime of Hosni Mubarak, from December 2001 to March 2006. He has claimed this was a turning point that led him to fundamentally reassess what he called the “totalitarian” ideology of Islamism.

Nawaz’s fascinating autobiography is the basis of his identity as the pop idol of counter-terrorism. His credibility rests on his personal story. It is the foundation of his trustworthiness. So we spoke with more than a dozen people intimately familiar with the crucial facets of Maajid Nawaz’s life. They told us that many of his most important claims about his transformative journey are dubious.

http://www.alternet.org/grayzone-project/self-invention-maajid-nawaz-fact-and-fiction-life-counter-terror-celebrity#.VrTbajc6nFA.twitter

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #1 - February 06, 2016, 12:13 AM

The messenger ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML8QBlvtEPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TAkHuHJu00

Nafeez Ahmed is an investigative journalist and international security scholar. He writes the System Shift column for VICE’s Motherboard, and is the winner of a 2015 Project Censored Award for Outstanding Investigative Journalism for his former work at the Guardian. He is the author of A User’s Guide to the Crisis of Civilization: And How to Save It (2010),

http://themester.indiana.edu/themester2011/events/ahmed.pdf

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - February 06, 2016, 11:57 AM

I viciously hate these regressive liberals who casually cozy up with islamists.

Can't attack Maajid's ideas, let's attack the person. Oh wait.

I can't wait until somebody makes complete journalistic exposure to uproot Max Blumenthal, Ahmed, and Nathan's career. I'm about 10000% sure that all these people are just as fake as Maajid or Ayaan that they hate so much.
     Reply #3 - February 14, 2016, 10:18 AM

Here is the way I see this;

Maajid Nawaz: Islam is solely responsible for the rise of ISIS (meanwhile dismissing or downplaying sociopolitical and historical factors that played a key role behind their emergence)

Leftist: Well not really(brings up other factors which are as important as just Islam)

Maajid Nawaz: You are a regressive leftist for disagreeing with me and refusing to accept my opinion.

This is how it always goes down whenever the likes of Nawaz and his audience criticize Leftists .  Roll Eyes

Lol @ Regressive Leftist or Regressive liberal. That term is an oxymoron. That's like saying progressive right wingers or Progressive conservatives Grin

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #4 - February 14, 2016, 03:38 PM

When did Majid say that Islam is solely responsible for the rise of ISIS?

Reply #5 - February 14, 2016, 11:22 PM

Don't bother arguing with Cato. He will call you a neocon for disagreeing with him and refusing to accept his opinion.

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
     Reply #6 - February 15, 2016, 12:05 AM

I was not sure what to think of Maajid Nawaz until I did more research about him. The guy has been in bed with a number of far-right extremists and bigots. I have no respect for people who bend over backwards to please that lot. Cato is right about him and about the ludicrous "regressive left/liberal" term.
     Reply #7 - February 15, 2016, 12:38 AM

He has got a magnificent goatee. I tried to copy it but failed.

Late Eid Mubarak, Where's my eidee present ?
     Reply #8 - February 15, 2016, 01:41 AM

I was not sure what to think of Maajid Nawaz until I did more research about him.
    The guy has been in bed with a number of far-right extremists and bigots. I have no respect for people who bend over backwards to please that lot. Cato is right about him and about the ludicrous "regressive left/liberal" term.

well you got to put that out on table AGirlWithDoubts..

Don't bother arguing with Cato. He will call you a neocon for disagreeing with him and refusing to accept his opinion.

well if we don't speak to /speak about/ speak around ...stay away from rightists, leftist.. centrists progressive liberals  and also  you can add a word  "crooks" to all those people .. then we neither learn anything nor we teach anything to anyone....    

So I speak out your minds..

Reply #9 - February 15, 2016, 01:45 AM

The term regressive is used for those who engage in deliberate smearing campaigns in order to invalidate ones arguments and perpetuate identity politics. No attempt is made at actually engaging maajid's arguments head on among those he labels as regressives, and instead they just call him a porch monkey or insinuate he's just in it for the money in leiu of dealing with any of the points he presents.

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
     Reply #10 - February 15, 2016, 01:50 AM

on the way let me add some words of what Maajid Nawaz  said

“As he continued to talk to me, I realized one of the fundamental points about Islamism that so many people fail to understand. The way Osman was speaking wasn’t in the orthodox, religious way of the imam with a stick; he was talking about politics, about events that were happening now. That’s crucial to understanding what Islamism is all about: it isn’t a religious movement with political consequences, it is a political movement with religious consequences.”
    ― Maajid Nawaz, Radical: My Journey out of Islamist Extremism

“No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity.”  ― Maajid Nawaz, Islam and the Future of Tolerance: A Dialogue

“The great liberal betrayal of this generation is that in the name of liberalism, communal rights have been prioritized over individual autonomy within minority groups. And minorities within minorities really do suffer because of this betrayal. The people I really worry about when we have this conversation are feminist Muslims, gay Muslims, ex-Muslims—all the vulnerable and bullied individuals who are not just stigmatized but in many cases violently assaulted or killed merely for being against the norm.”
    ― Maajid Nawaz, Islam and the Future of Tolerance: A Dialogue

“We’re currently faced with two entirely different challenges – facing down Islamism and jihadism on the one hand, and advancing human rights and democratic culture on the other.”
    ― Maajid Nawaz, Islam and the Future of Tolerance: A Dialogue

“President Barack Obama and many liberal-minded commentators have been hesitant to call this Islamist ideology by its proper name. They seem to fear that both Muslim communities and the religiously intolerant will hear the word “Islam” and simply assume that all Muslims are being held responsible for the excesses of the jihadist few.  ― Maajid Nawaz, in some debate

The same hysteria about Islamism is unfolding before our eyes. But no strategy intended to defeat Islamism can succeed if Islamism itself and its violent expression in jihadism are not first named, isolated and understood.  From: Maajid Nawaz's article titled, 'How to Beat Islamic State', December 11th, 2015.”

clearly they appears to be +Ve..  Some may say he is Stealth taqiyya  player and some other may say .. he is a political opportunist trying to defame Islam along with right wingers..  

let us add more of his words and more words of others about him....  criticizing a religion specialty Islam is DOUBLE EDGED SWORD. And if you are a non-political educated Muslim, ex-Muslim  or a zebra by birth then when  you are cutting down some parts of Islam it will cut you.

Reply #11 - February 15, 2016, 08:53 AM

The term regressive is used for those who engage in deliberate smearing campaigns in order to invalidate ones arguments and perpetuate identity politics. No attempt is made at actually engaging maajid's arguments head on among those he labels as regressives, and instead they just call him a porch monkey or insinuate he's just in it for the money in leiu of dealing with any of the points he presents.

Those liberals have every right to call him out for associating with extremists on the other end of the spectrum and never bothering to challenge their extremism the way he vigorously challenges Islamic extremism. If someone in his position had previously worked with Abu Haleema (for an example), would you deem those who gave him/her flak for it to be "regressive" for supposedly being involved in a smear campaign as opposed to engaging in his/her arguments?
     Reply #12 - February 15, 2016, 09:01 AM

It's not just his association with far-right extremist such as Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, Kevin Carroll and the Henry Jackson Society that disgusts me, it's the way he bends over backwards to please bigots who identify as liberals such as Sam Harris and Bill Maher and refuses to challenge their abhorrent views which are on par with some of the beliefs of those Muslim extremists that Quilliam works to expose. Harris very clearly advocated racial profiling (even though he tried to backtrack with a wispy-washy explanation that was not believable at all) and appears to get a boner at the thought of nuking certain Brown people. Maher has openly stated anti-Arab racist views. Wonder if Nawaz would remain an acceptable Muslim in their eyes if he were to point out their bigotry and the fact that it's unacceptable.
     Reply #13 - February 15, 2016, 09:07 AM

I was not sure what to think of Maajid Nawaz until I did more research about him. The guy has been in bed with a number of far-right extremists and bigots. I have no respect for people who bend over backwards to please that lot. Cato is right about him and about the ludicrous "regressive left/liberal" term.

Yes Maajid was in bed with far-right extremists and bigots when he was part of Hizb ut-Tahrir. No doubt about this.

As you made those researches about him, can you please let us know, after he renounced to be an islamist,  with what far-right extremists and bigots was in bed and what being in bed with them actually means by your own definition?
     Reply #14 - February 15, 2016, 09:12 AM

It's not just his association with far-right extremist such as Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, Kevin Carroll and the Henry Jackson Society that disgusts me, it's the way he bends over backwards to please bigots who identify as liberals such as Sam Harris and Bill Maher and refuses to challenge their abhorrent views which are on par with some of the beliefs of those Muslim extremists that Quilliam works to expose. Harris very clearly advocated racial profiling (even though he tried to backtrack with a wispy-washy explanation that was not believable at all) and appears to get a boner at the thought of nuking certain Brown people. Maher has openly stated anti-Arab racist views. Wonder if Nawaz would remain an acceptable Muslim in their eyes if he were to point out their bigotry and the fact that it's unacceptable.

So, Douglas Murray is a far-right extremist? And Sam Harris and Bill Maher are bigots? Any prove for all these?
     Reply #15 - February 15, 2016, 09:14 AM

@nbhb nobody here tried to imply tried to imply that Hizb ut-Tahrir were not extremists so bringing them up is irrelevant.

I mentioned who in my next post, there are more of them as well.
     Reply #16 - February 15, 2016, 09:17 AM

Yes I saw you mentioned, but I was already posting... Waiting for you to respond to my last post Smiley
     Reply #17 - February 15, 2016, 09:25 AM

So, Douglas Murray is a far-right extremist? And Sam Harris and Bill Maher are bigots? Any prove for all these?

As for Sam Harris, he clearly advocated profiling people from the Middle East and South Asia in his blog "We should profile Muslims, or anyone who looks like he or she could conceivably be Muslim, and we should be honest about it". He then tried to backtrack and explain what he meant by "Muslim-looking people" and his explanation was absurd. Bill Maher lumped all Arab men as domestic abusers and flat out said "we are better than them".
     Reply #18 - February 15, 2016, 09:30 AM

Waiting? Well, I do always respond. And yes HJ is run by neocons who use material by far-right lunatics who have previously advocated violence such as Pamela Gellar.
     Reply #19 - February 15, 2016, 10:00 AM

Waiting? Well, I do always respond. And yes HJ is run by neocons who use material by far-right lunatics who have previously advocated violence such as Pamela Gellar.

hello AGirlWithDoubts .... hello AGD,,   hello GD  .. hello god.... Cheesy

what is "HJ"?

Reply #20 - February 15, 2016, 10:06 AM

I meant Henry Jackson or the Henry Jackson Society, whatever you want to call them. The people in charge have tried to present themselves as moderate but are no different behind the scenes to Spencer, Gellar and other extremists that they are associated with.
     Reply #21 - February 15, 2016, 10:17 AM

I meant Henry Jackson or the Henry Jackson Society, whatever you want to call them.   

Oh.. then put a link on it..such as   

http://henryjacksonsociety.org/
    http://rightweb.irc-online.org/profile/Henry_Jackson_Society

Reply #22 - February 15, 2016, 10:39 AM

In the end, any proves that Douglas Murray himself is a far-right extremist? And if HJ is run by neocons what? And if they use material made by far right lunatics what? Dear AGWD you do understand that you yourself agree with these far-right extremists on many thing related to Islam? Is that making you a far-right extremist?

Please watch this link:
    Douglas Murray on How the Left Closes Down Debates
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbsfdreLwT8

Also about Sam Harris and Bill Maher you have to give more context than what you did. In what context Bill Maher said what he said. Maybe it was related to culture? Any YouTube link will be appreciated. Bill Maher looks for me a liberal socialist.

Also of what Sam Harris said. As a brown man with middle eastern facial features I tell you that the most important thing for me is security, rather than if my profile fits more to be checked at airports checkpoints. Political correctness have killed people before...
     Reply #23 - February 15, 2016, 10:58 AM

Just because I agree with certain people on certain topics doesn't mean that I can't despise their other bigoted views and have no respect for them due to these views. Every bigot in this world, regardless of his/her background are going to have views that I agree with to an extent but that does not negate any bigoted and sometimes dangerous views that they have.

If there was nothing wrong with what Harris said then he shouldn't try to backtrack and should at least have the balls to stick with it. Besides, for someone who claims that Islam is not a race, some of the things he says sure suggest otherwise.

Whatever the context when is it ever acceptable to label someone as something as abhorrent as a domestic abuser for no reason other than his ethnicity? Regardless of Bill Maher's left-wing views on other topics racism is racism. The video is from 2011 but I will find it.

Of course the only acceptable Muslim for these people are the likes of Maajid Nawaz who never challenge these views coming from them.
     Reply #24 - February 15, 2016, 11:13 AM

So what makes Douglas Murray and HJ far-right extremists if they only agree with some of the far-right extremists views, as you as well do?

Did he really suggested that Islam is a race? I really find this hardly to believe... but who knows...

Yes find that video about Bill Maher please Smiley
     Reply #25 - February 15, 2016, 11:23 AM

By stating that some people "look Muslim" and that ethnicity plays a part in someone being a suspect of Islamic terror yes, he is contradicting the claim that he does not view Islam as a race.

Did I say that this was the only thing they do? They are directly affiliated with these extremists, who have suggested discrimination towards Muslims and sometimes even violence. Douglas Murray has a long history with them. And no I don't agree with Robert Spencer and Pamela Gellar most of the times.

Here: http://hw-mobile.worldstarhiphop.com/u/vid/2011/2/21/bukdueydb_mobile.mp4?ri=512000&rs=850

I know the title says "Muslim men" but he actually mentions Arabs. Not that I think that it's OK to generalise all Muslim men either.

Edited the video, there's a better version.

"conditions for Muslims in Europe must be made harder across the board" ~ Douglas Murray

If that's not extremism, I don't know what is.
     Reply #26 - February 15, 2016, 01:19 PM

When did Majid say that Islam is solely responsible for the rise of ISIS?

He may not have said it explicitly he tends to say those things along those lines and when he is faulted by the leftists he resort to calling them Regressive leftists

Says the Sam Harris dick rider who uses circular reasoning in an argument or discussion and too thick headed to know that  Roll Eyes

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #27 - February 15, 2016, 01:21 PM

Just wanted to clarify that I agree with a lot of what Nawaz says about Islamism and the state of the Muslim community today. Some of his articles are very good but there are other things about him that don't sit well. I support those who call him out for it because someone who enables dodgy characters the way he does shouldn't be given a free pass just because he holds some valid views.
     Reply #28 - February 15, 2016, 01:49 PM

The irony of it all is that most of Maajid Nawaz audience are White atheists and ex muslims that thinks bombing Middle East will wipe out Islamism off the region,yet he wants to reform Islam that way. There are real muslim reformers out there on the front line making differences and trying to make changes but ya'll don't give a fuck and care to know about them...or maybe unless it's someone who kisses up to the white "liberal" atheists asses and take their money which they don't and they never will.

Reply #29 - February 15, 2016, 02:03 PM

By stating that some people "look Muslim" and that ethnicity plays a part in someone being a suspect of Islamic terror yes, he is contradicting the claim that he does not view Islam as a race.

Of course ethnicity plays a part in someone being a suspect of Islamic terror. It is more likely for a Saudi to be involved in Islamic terrorism than a Japanese. Because in KSA you get more Islam and Islam is the religion most associated with terrorism. That's just a fact, the inconvenient truth, but still the truth. Have nothing to do with race sorry...

Did I say that this was the only thing they do? They are directly affiliated with these extremists, who have suggested discrimination towards Muslims and sometimes even violence. Douglas Murray has a long history with them. And no I don't agree with Robert Spencer and Pamela Gellar most of the times.

"conditions for Muslims in Europe must be made harder across the board" ~ Douglas Murray

If that's not extremism, I don't know what is.

What you mean by directly affiliated? Be more specific please. Being affiliated can also mean sharing some views about something as I said. Maryam Namazie for example is a communist. It doesn't make us here communists. Or others as Douglas Murray who was often sharing platforms with Maryam.

And that quote of Douglas was made in a context as well, as for example shutting down Mosques associated with extremism. Even so it wasn't his best moment, but certainly a comment like that is not enough to make you far-right extremist.

Here: http://hw-mobile.worldstarhiphop.com/u/vid/2011/2/21/bukdueydb_mobile.mp4?ri=512000&rs=850

I know the title says "Muslim men" but he actually mentions Arabs. Not that I think that it's OK to generalise all Muslim men either.

Edited the video, there's a better version.

He said clearly Muslims men and he said in general, not all. And he is certainly speaking about cultural aspect. Sorry but you seems to want to drag Bill Maher there, just to prove you were right.

• 12 3 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »