Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Marrakech to Host World Summit on Protection of non-Muslims in Muslim Countries

(Read 4009 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Marrakech to Host World Summit on Protection of non-Muslims in Muslim Countries
     OP - January 28, 2016, 03:55 PM

Just found the IslamiCity forum. My first impressions are it  seems to be more moderate, adult and rational (but unfortunately less active) than Ummah.Com.  Openly athiestic and others members are calmly tolerated.  Of course they have the resident 'flat earther'. 

No matter, I found this on their site.   Hope many positive things will emerge from this Summit

http://www.islamicity.org/9868/marrakech-to-host-world-summit-on-protection-of-non-muslims-in-muslim-countries/

Hundreds of Muslim scholars will meet at a summit in Marrakech from January 25 to 27 to discuss the rights of religious minorities living in Muslim-majority countries.

The summit named “Religious Minorities in Muslim Countries: The Legal Framework and Call for Action” is expected to issue a declaration to protect religious minorities in the Muslim world based on the principles of the Charter of Medina, the first Muslim constitution.

The summit will kick-off in Marrakech on Monday. It will be chaired by the Moroccan Ministry of Endowments and Islamic Affairs in cooperation with the Forum for the Promotion of Peace in Muslim Societies a think tank based in the United Arab Emirates.

According to a joint statement by the organizers, around 300 Muslim scholars, government officials, experts and religious leaders who advocate for the protection of non-Muslim minorities will attend the conference.

This conference comes at a time marked by a surge of terrorist attacks, hate crimes, and the increasing violations to the rights of religious minorities in Muslim countries, namely in the Middle East where minorities flee extremism, the statement noted.

Organizers have chosen Morocco to hold this summit due to its moderate position, appreciation of cultural diversity and its advances in human rights in the last few years.

Morocco is described as a “tolerant” country where Christians do not face persecution nor physical or mental abuse.

This summit presents an opportunity to prove that “violations of religious minorities’ rights are totally at odds with the spirit of peace, moderation and togetherness that have always prevailed among various components of majority Muslim countries,” the statement stressed.

etc .... more if u click link.
  • Marrakech to Host World Summit on Protection of non-Muslims in Muslim Countries
     Reply #1 - January 28, 2016, 06:52 PM

It is a tad more tolerant than other Muslim countries on religion, but honestly it is only a tad.

Not so long ago a gay guy was beaten by a mob, before that some teenage girls were beaten due to what they were wearing.  So like I said, it's just a tad less intolerant than other countries.

Also you are in more danger in Morocco if you are black African, than if you were a christian.  Different focus for the hate. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #2 - January 28, 2016, 08:13 PM

But what about the Summit itself?   If they come out with some statement or solutions re treatment of minorities?  Will people in Muslim countries take notice of it.

Is the IslamiCity forum run by Moroccan Muslims ?  So far I haven't seen any egregious remarks about specific sects, but I haven't looked through it thoroughly.   Its tenor is just a refreshing contrast to Ummah.com.
     Reply #3 - January 28, 2016, 08:35 PM

But what about the Summit itself?   If they come out with some statement or solutions re treatment of minorities?  Will people in Muslim countries take notice of it.

Is the IslamiCity forum run by Moroccan Muslims ? So far I haven't seen any egregious remarks about specific sects, but I haven't looked through it thoroughly.   Its tenor is just a refreshing contrast to Ummah.com.

puzzlelover that news of "Marrakech to Host World Summit on Protection of non-Muslims in Muslim Countries" which is published first in morocco world news.com is nothing to do with islamicity.com forum .. they  just linked that newssimilar any religious forum  that often links on recent news reports on Islam..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - January 29, 2016, 05:38 PM

Cynical, I know, but it seems like a prime suicide bomber target to me.
     Reply #5 - January 30, 2016, 02:14 AM

Urgh.

Do they have atheists/Christians/Hindu/whatever speaking there?

It's just pretty damn useless for muslims to discuss treatment of minority without including the minority in question and asking what they experience, what they feel, etc. It's a confirmation bias chamber.
     Reply #6 - January 30, 2016, 03:24 AM

Apparently they had some input from some minorities according to this NPR article:-

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/01/28/464688623/muslim-leaders-vow-to-protect-rights-of-religious-minorities
    While some prominent Muslim leaders belittle the plight of non-Muslims in their countries, those who came to this meeting heard testimony from other faith leaders about the conditions in their countries.

Sheikh Sattar Jabbar Hilu, speaking on behalf of his Sabian sect in Iraq, said they and other minorities face killing and deportations, and the situation is getting worse.

which ends thus :-

But this is not the first time mainstream Islamic scholars and Muslim government officials have tried to challenge extremism in the name of Islam. Shadi Hamid of the Brookings Institution studies extremist movements. And he worries efforts by these traditional Muslim scholars may not reach the right people.

"One of the audiences you're trying to persuade here are those who are on the fence, young, angry Arabs and Muslims who are looking for something to believe in," Hamid says. "The problem with these kinds of status quo scholars and governments is that they are seen as illegitimate and not credible.

"If you want to convince people who are predisposed to radicalism," he says, "you have to provide voices that they're going to see as legitimate. You don't come with these government-sponsored clerics, who are very much part of the ruling establishment in the Middle East, which itself has been a big part of the problem."

And this is the link to the Declaration issued by the Summit:-

http://www.marrakeshdeclaration.org/marrakesh-declaration.html
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »