Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Same person ?

(Read 3356 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Same person ?
     OP - January 10, 2016, 07:22 PM

When we come out our family and friends see tend to see us as a completely different person.

Some Exmuslims try to calm their family and friends down when coming out by saying they are still essentially the same person that they were back when they were a muslim.

How true is this for you ? 

Are you still the same person you were when you were a muslim ?

Its also hard to differentiate the changes in a person that are because of apostasy and changes that occur simply by having more experiences.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
  • Same person ?
     Reply #1 - January 10, 2016, 07:38 PM

Well, it all depends how you define "the same person". When I stopped being Muslim, all the while trying my best to pretend being one, I had a lot of fights with my ex about how I had "changed" and that I wasn't the "same person" anymore. I thought myself to be the same person, but trying not to be controlled by the same shackles I had been before. I tried to break lose, and that was viewed as too big of a change. If I imagine myself as the most "Muslim" I've ever been, and right now, I would say that I've become much more mature, tolerant, and seeing the world and myself in a very different way than then. But I would more say it has to do with growing up and having more experiences and learning, than necessarily the change from being Muslim to non-Muslim. Becoming an ex-Muslim is actually a part of the journey of change I've underwent as a growing process.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Same person ?
     Reply #2 - January 10, 2016, 08:51 PM

^

I think muslims tend to be really closeminded.

If you have alot of close non muslim friends and participate in social events that aren't certified "halal" by the community you're seen as having distanced yourself from the in group and become a different person all together although the core of your personality might still be the same.

• Same person ?
     Reply #3 - January 10, 2016, 09:26 PM

If we're really talking about practicing Muslims, you'll inevitably be accused of having become a "different person" because to them you are. You no longer pray, nor fast, nor believe in the same things (thus, being able to relate when topics of faith, the hereafter and other related issues come up for discussion). All those things are practices you do together in a community, group activities more or less. The social aspect of Islam can be gold, but it can also be an immense burden that imprisons the individual.

So yes, on one hand I'm really the same person. I've always had the interests I've had. At least now, I can fulfill them all and continue trying out new things. I've always more or less had the same or similar values, I've just broaden my perspectives with age. But the core values, my core personality, is exactly the same.

But imagine this scenario:

A woman in niqab, very faithful with strong belief. She spends all her time memorizing, learning, and teaching the Quran and the religion. She spends all her time with other Muslim women with children. She starts having lectures in the masjid. You can't really do much except certain child activities because that's not halal, or it's not OK for us women because of this or that. All her friends are Muslims. She might engage in intellectual conversations about theology, science or social issues. Very well, she might not hold opinions that most would assume a Muslim would. Even dares calling herself a feminist, questioning bits and pieces of the patriarchy that literally beats her down everyday... But she tries really hard to stay within the circle of Islam. Because, you know. She doesn't want to step out of the fold of Islam. What if someone calls her a mubtadi?

Then all of a sudden, like lightning from the sky.

She doesn't want to wear the niqab, she wants to take it off. She even gives hints that the hijab itself is becoming a burden. She criticizes and questions Islam, in all possible ways. She expresses opinions about science and theology that are way out of Islam's comfort zone. She even makes fun of the fundamentalists; is that humour she uses when parodying the mujahideen? Astaghfirullah! She stops hanging out with her Muslim friends, says she wants to make new friends. What's up with stopping reciting the Quran, ukhtee why you not memorize the verses of Allah? Hey, I haven't seen her pray in a very long time. Does she really pray when she's in her room? Why you not pray in group no more, ukhtee? When's the last time you opened your fiqh or hadeeth books, ukhtee?

BAM!

She ain't Muslim no more.

She dresses like everyone else, actually spends a lot on her wardrobe and shoes. Geez, what obsession with dunya. Is that a designer bag? She wears skimpy clothes, hangs out with men.  She drinks, she even eats khanzeer for crying out loud. She has more ambitions than just being a mother. Ehrmergaaahd she does sports! A guy's sports, nonetheless! She doesn't even believe in god, she went from a pious niqabi mother and wife, seeker of knowledge... to an atheist, single mom, who thinks Islam is pretty shitty, and who even drinks and has sex outside marriage.

Hasbiallah wa ni'mal wakeel. Ukhtee, you really changed. You're not my ukhtee anymore. You are the enemy of Allah.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Same person ?
     Reply #4 - January 10, 2016, 10:13 PM

^

I think muslims are extremely tribalistic.

We are all tribalistic TDR., only difference is those who were brainwashed and stuck to religious scriptures/follow its rules of 7th century are far more  tribalistic than others ..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Same person ?
     Reply #5 - January 11, 2016, 01:41 PM

It’s hard to know what or who someone really is while they are a practicing Muslim because Islam is so much about the suppression of the self through fear of Allah.

“And whosoever fears the standing of his lord, and deprives the self of its desires, then surely, Jannah will be their final abode.”

So, even though you know yourself, you know your thoughts, you know your interests, you know your desires, to everyone else – if you’ve done it right – you are just the cookie cutter image of The Perfect Muslim. Essentially, you are a walking demonstration of how great you are at not being yourself.
  • Same person ?
     Reply #6 - January 11, 2016, 02:30 PM

That is a great post, painfully great.
  • Same person ?
     Reply #7 - January 11, 2016, 02:36 PM

This phenomenon more pronounced in salafism.

I have an exmuslim acquaintance from highschool who used to be a hardcore salafi.

Now when I chat with him or scroll through posts on his fb page its like I'm looking at a completely different person but with the same face. He now has strong political views where before he was an apolitical salafi and now he talks about his favorite songs and bands where as before he gave khutbahs about how sinful and evil music was.

• Same person ?
     Reply #8 - January 31, 2016, 05:34 PM

I can relate to what hm said. When I was a muslim, I spent so much time oppressing my own desires and personality. Two examples are clothing and dancing. I like to dress in jeans and a T-shirt, but that's haram, so I always had to wear something with long sleeves and a dress that would cover up my butt. So I wore clothes that I didn't really feel comfortable in, that weren't really me. Same goes for dancing. I love to dance and listen to music, but I never really could go out dancing and for a brief period I even stopped listening to music. So I couldn't express   that part of myself.

In a way, I have been more myself since I'm an ex-muslim than before. But I'm not the same person, no. I used to be a hell of a lot more judgemental and closeminded. I used to look down upon people who did not do the acts of 'ibada that I did. Above all, the whole experience has been so painful and hard that is also has made me more compassionate towards other people going through stuff in general and identity issues specifically.

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
  • Same person ?
     Reply #9 - January 31, 2016, 05:52 PM

I can relate to what hm said. When I was a muslim, I spent so much time oppressing my own desires and personality. Two examples..................

The fault is NOT in you nor in a cultural Muslim who never read, never thought about  Islamic scriptures and Islamic history. .........the  poison runs deep in the  system.........   The problem lies in  the Islamic  system that is generated after the death of that first Arabian Preacher  who happened to say  ... "Jesus Christ of Christianity was/is not son of God but merely an enlightened person and at best we call him as Messenger of god of that times"' ..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »