Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: British Jihadism - PhD thesis by Paul Stott

(Read 3213 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • British Jihadism - PhD thesis by Paul Stott
     OP - January 07, 2016, 10:33 PM

A recent doctoral thesis from Paul Stott

British Jihadism: The Detail and the Denial: http://www.academia.edu/14380226/British_Jihadism_The_Detail_and_the_Denial

I am reliably informed that apart from your examiners, nobody ever reads your PhD. In the unlikely circumstances that someone wants to battle through 99, 000+ words on British jihadism, you can download my doctorate via academia.edu here. The abstract below gives an overview of my arguments, approach and some of the detail which I hope makes the thesis unique.

Since the early 1990s British Islamists have been fighting, killing and dying in a succession of conflicts across the world, beginning with the Bosnian Civil War of 1992-95. A decade later this violence reached the United Kingdom, with a series of deadly attacks on the London transport system in July 2005, the first suicide bombings in Western Europe.

This thesis provides a historiography of the involvement of Britons in global and domestic jihadist struggles at home and abroad across three decades. It catalogues and records their actions, and bring into a central document the names and affiliations of both British Islamist combatants, and those from jihadist organisations who have settled in this country. The ever increasing number of Britons travelling to the Islamic State does not come as a surprise when the scale of past involvement in such causes is considered.

This thesis deconstructs the religious objectives intrinsic to these trends, and emphasises that in British Jihadism it is the goal, as much as the message, which is religious.

The reluctance of British Muslim representative organisations to address early examples of these developments, the ‘denial’ – is analysed herein. The development of a religious terrorism which often targets women and minority groups may have been expected to face critical examination from academics, in particular from within the critical terrorism studies school. Regrettably such rigour is found to be lacking. Indeed it is within the academy that some of the most sustained attempts to deny any religious influences behind contemporary terrorism have been found. Detailed feminist critiques of Islamist practice are deployed to advocate a new approach – one that leads to a critical terrorist studies which critiques not just government responses to terrorism, but terrorist actors also.

Download pdf: https://ueaeprints.uea.ac.uk/53460/1/British_Jihadism_The_Detail_and_The_Denial.pdf
     Reply #1 - January 07, 2016, 10:50 PM

Paul Stott on Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/MrPaulStott?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
     Reply #2 - January 07, 2016, 11:54 PM

well PaulStott is NO Muslim., hence he is NOT eligible to write or understand Jihad in Islam   ..lol..

So let me counter that with these books/booklets  " State and Government in Islam"_ Muhammad Assad

Jihad in Islam_ Ala_Maududi

Jihad and Islamic Law of War

The True Islamic concept of Jihad  Hadrat Mirza Tahir Ahmad, Khalifatul Masih IV

the last one is from Ahamdi Islam.. Fools writes nonsense without looking in to history of early Islam and Jihad..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #3 - February 29, 2016, 08:39 PM

I'll read this when I have an afternoon free but I'm immediately put off by the idea that the central motivation = religious rather than increasing religiosity and exacerbation of material conditions leading to said increases in religiosity...

It's hardly as if Europe is in the throngs of a leftist anti-clerical revival here, quite the opposite.

You take away the motivations of religiosity (in the same way that you take away the motivations of the far right) and these people who are being radicalised will be the same old moral degenerates who can't handle inebriation and resort to the most grotesque and unsubtle laddish misogyny about.

Everyone seems to expect moderate muslims (and again as an atheist I have little sympathy for their religion) to try and combat this but you can hardly hold them entirely responsible when the bedrock for a more inclusive and tolerant culture isn't there. It's a step up from being boorish lads at uni to jihadism for most people.

For most, freedom of speech has become the unfreedom to criticise the dominant ideologies in society, be they islamic or western.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »