Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Muslim men. Honor and duty to women demand that you outlaw the hijab, niqab and

(Read 37483 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Muslim men. Honor and duty to women demand that you outlaw the hijab, niqab and
     Reply #30 - November 24, 2015, 03:12 AM

Interesting, that she says her youngest child is being raised Muslim. I wonder why only the youngest and not the oldest? I never heard of that.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Muslim men. Honor and duty to women demand that you outlaw the hijab, niqab and
     Reply #31 - December 02, 2015, 08:19 PM

Honor culture has little to do with trust. I don´t think you get it. Which form of honor are you claiming has to do with trusting a woman? Honor culture that I am familiar with is more about purity than trust. A woman can do no wrong and still ¨ruin¨ a man´s honor, through no fault of her own, through no action of her own. It is not about trusting a woman at all.
    ¨A man of honor says his wife is with him by choice rather than force?¨ Where is the honor in that? What a man says does not give him any honor at all, even in the chivalrous, Westernized sense that I think you mean in this statement.
    Misogyny is reinforced by culture, religion, etc. Islam has not exclusive rights to that.
    Honor culture is not religious culture. The more we perpetuate the lie that they are twinned, the less we address the issue.

Honor is recognized as a part of both theology and philosophy.

---------

" Where is the honor in that?"

The honor in that is that a man does not have to shame himself by saying that he keeps his wife by force and not by choice.

--------------

" A woman can do no wrong and still ¨ruin¨ a man´s honor, through no fault of her own, through no action of her own. It is not about trusting a woman at all."

Give a real life example of this working please.

Regards
    DL

God is a cosmic consciousness.
    Telepathy the key to contact.
    Our next evolutionary step. No choice.
     Reply #32 - December 02, 2015, 08:22 PM

I believe the only answer is a reformation of Islam in itself. I've heard some liberal Muslims on some programs say that Hijab means, "Covering of the bosom only" and if they can get enough Muslims to agree with that, then that would be cool. But realistically, those hadiths will always be there to oppress Muslim women.

As an ex-Salafi and having the long beard, you'd be surprised how many brothers "admired my beard." It was almost a step toward homosexual tendencies. I even had this guy twirl my beard in a slow sexual manner and say, "Masha Allah." It was uncomfortable.

Niqab, Beard, Hijab all need to go. I've even seen the most liberal muslim woman in the world acting free, but because she covers her head, it still gives that impression that she's oppressed. And if she's giving that impression, eventually it rubs with her own personality. It just doesn't work.

I agree that reform of Islam and Sharia are the first priority.

Regards
    DL

Reply #33 - December 02, 2015, 08:28 PM

I disagree with the comments on this thread that banning hijabs or encouraging women not to wear them is "freedom". I felt very liberated after taking mine off and would never want to go back but on the other hand it's important to recognise that women who wear it have various reasons why they do. True freedom is giving every woman an equal chance to decide what to wear without pressure from either side. If some women find happiness and tranquility in the hijab while still being able to live their lives the way they want to, I would say that is quite liberating.

Every woman is different so there is no one sense of dress that would work for all women. That is a false notion of freedom.

In a better world we could indeed all be free to wear what we like but if Muslim women who wear this apparel by choice, refuse their sisters who are not wearing this apparel by choice, the freedom they think they have, then they are not good Muslim women.

The majority do not want a dress code imposed by Muslim men and all Muslim women should support the freedom of those Muslim women who want freedom. from Muslim male oppression.

Regards
    DL

Reply #34 - December 02, 2015, 08:35 PM

Hmmmm.,  interesting thread.. with a heading   "Muslim men. Honor and duty to women"....

on that let me put this link from today's newspaper  from Jennifer Ashrafi  Love, hate and Islamaphobia in America_JENNIFER ASHRAFI

and that comes with these pictures...

so read it all at the link and air your views on what Jennifer says...

Rather anecdotal. What are you trying to highlight?

Regards
    DL

Reply #35 - December 03, 2015, 01:56 AM

Honor is recognized as a part of both theology and philosophy.

---------

" Where is the honor in that?"

The honor in that is that a man does not have to shame himself by saying that he keeps his wife by force and not by choice.

--------------

" A woman can do no wrong and still ¨ruin¨ a man´s honor, through no fault of her own, through no action of her own. It is not about trusting a woman at all."

Give a real life example of this working please.

Regards
    DL

A wrong number on a cell phone. A strange man calling a girl´s cell phone? How would that be her fault? But that is what happened to me. I only got a beating for it and no real harm done to my husband´s reputation, as we never told anyone else.

My son´s second cousin was kidnapped from her home with her toddler. It was a political kidnapping. The agent who kidnapped her took her over the mountains and back to his country, to entice her husband to rescue his son. He raped her all the way. When the opposition caught up with them, they saved both her and her son.
    Her husband could not take her back. It would have ruined him. So he took his son and told her he could not accept her.
    She went back to her father´s house. Her father killed her a few days later, so that his grandson and son in law would be relieved from the shame of it all.
    How was any of that her fault? How was that about trust?

Also, in a society where women have not equal rights a man might never realize that his wife is with him by necessity rather than by choice. Why would she explain it to him?

Reply #36 - December 03, 2015, 02:37 AM

Rather anecdotal. What are you trying to highlight?

Regards
    DL

well trying to highlight those anecdotal cases DL.. another example ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhGygO6YZJE

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #37 - December 03, 2015, 02:56 AM

I wonder if that is the same girl who went to Egypt years ago as a teen to learn a certain style of singing. If so, she should have picked up a bit of Arabi by now.

Reply #38 - December 07, 2015, 09:43 PM

A wrong number on a cell phone. A strange man calling a girl´s cell phone? How would that be her fault? But that is what happened to me. I only got a beating for it and no real harm done to my husband´s reputation, as we never told anyone else.

My son´s second cousin was kidnapped from her home with her toddler. It was a political kidnapping. The agent who kidnapped her took her over the mountains and back to his country, to entice her husband to rescue his son. He raped her all the way. When the opposition caught up with them, they saved both her and her son.
    Her husband could not take her back. It would have ruined him. So he took his son and told her he could not accept her.
    She went back to her father´s house. Her father killed her a few days later, so that his grandson and son in law would be relieved from the shame of it all.
    How was any of that her fault? How was that about trust?

Also, in a society where women have not equal rights a man might never realize that his wife is with him by necessity rather than by choice. Why would she explain it to him?

To make him a better man.

I see your examples as a man making a fool of himself and casting aside his own honor to follow the wrong headed tribal rules instead of his common sense and heart.

If a man cannot forgive a woman for what is not her fault, then he is not much of a man and has no honor or decent morals.

Regards
    DL

Reply #39 - December 08, 2015, 02:51 AM

A woman does not need forgiveness for what is not her fault. It is not her fault, so there is nothing to be forgiven.

Thinking there is something to forgive about someone who is not at fault is the trap of honour culture.

I think you have the rest of it backward. A man who follows the norm of his culture is not seen as foolish, he is only seen as making a fool of himself when he bucks the trend.

You are confusing the different cultures in your use of the word honor. Here you have used it at the end of your post in the Western sense, as a personal conviction to ¨do the right thing¨. Whereas the culture my children were born into has a different concept of what the ¨right thing¨ IS, and hence, a different definition of honour.

I would rather that they understood it in the sense that you use it, and find honour culture, and modesty culture, for that matter, to be completely incomprehensible.

I do not think it is the duty of a woman who finds herself completely dependent upon a man to make him into a better person, if indeed explaining she has no better option in her life than him would have such an effect. It is rather in her best interest to do whatever helps her to survive, and thrive, if possible, in such an environment. Men are perfectly capable of becoming better people without their dependents taking such risks, especially in an environment where they are considered to be the top of the hierarchy because of their very gender.

Reply #40 - December 08, 2015, 03:40 AM

Fantastic post.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #41 - December 08, 2015, 04:06 AM

You are confusing the different cultures in your use of the word honor. Here you have used it at the end of your post in the Western sense, as a personal conviction to ¨do the right thing¨. Whereas the culture my children were born into has a different concept of what the ¨right thing¨ IS, and hence, a different definition of honour.

This is it, OP.

For muslims, honor is preserving a woman's modesty. It's not about respecting what she wants, it's not about respecting woman as equal life-partner, it's all about grooming woman to become the best mothers (in their opinion). That means no premarital sex, wear the hijab, no boyfriend, etc. It continues after marriage, because most muslim countries really make it hard for women to divorce / seek independence. Serve your husband, serve the in-laws, be a good wife... A woman's thought is not important. Her highest honor is in being the best wife+mother.

If anything, if you're raised muslim women are raised to be forever dependent on their male kin. It's a disgusting system.
     Reply #42 - December 08, 2015, 07:36 PM

A woman does not need forgiveness for what is not her fault. It is not her fault, so there is nothing to be forgiven.

Thinking there is something to forgive about someone who is not at fault is the trap of honour culture.

I think you have the rest of it backward. A man who follows the norm of his culture is not seen as foolish, he is only seen as making a fool of himself when he bucks the trend.

I would rather that they understood it in the sense that you use it, and find honour culture, and modesty culture, for that matter, to be completely incomprehensible.

I do not think it is the duty of a woman who finds herself completely dependent upon a man to make him into a better person, if indeed explaining she has no better option in her life than him would have such an effect. It is rather in her best interest to do whatever helps her to survive, and thrive, if possible, in such an environment. Men are perfectly capable of becoming better people without their dependents taking such risks, especially in an environment where they are considered to be the top of the hierarchy because of their very gender.

You make women willing slaves and it is definitely the duty of all women to fight against their own slavery.

"I think you have the rest of it backward. A man who follows the norm of his culture is not seen as foolish, he is only seen as making a fool of himself when he bucks the trend."

That or a hero if his trend pans out.

The coward and man who lacks honor will ignore his better ways and stick to the old status quo.

Such men are not worthy of respect.

Regards
    DL

Reply #43 - December 08, 2015, 07:42 PM

This is it, OP.

For muslims, honor is preserving a woman's modesty. It's not about respecting what she wants, it's not about respecting woman as equal life-partner, it's all about grooming woman to become the best mothers (in their opinion). That means no premarital sex, wear the hijab, no boyfriend, etc. It continues after marriage, because most muslim countries really make it hard for women to divorce / seek independence. Serve your husband, serve the in-laws, be a good wife... A woman's thought is not important. Her highest honor is in being the best wife+mother.

If anything, if you're raised muslim women are raised to be forever dependent on their male kin. It's a disgusting system.

It is slavery.

If modesty was such a great gift, one would expect Muslim men to also sweet under the garb in question the way they force Muslim women to.

Such self-centred hypocrisy is not moral.

Regards
    DL

Regards
    DL

Reply #44 - December 09, 2015, 03:54 AM

You make women willing slaves and it is definitely the duty of all women to fight against their own slavery.

"I think you have the rest of it backward. A man who follows the norm of his culture is not seen as foolish, he is only seen as making a fool of himself when he bucks the trend."

That or a hero if his trend pans out.

The coward and man who lacks honor will ignore his better ways and stick to the old status quo.

Such men are not worthy of respect.

Regards
    DL

I have never made a woman a slave. I think you are mistaken. I have actually freed three women from honour culture, one not yet grown.
    We are referring to honour culture, and not the word honor in the Westernized sense that you are using it. In most honour cultures, there is law backing the culture and creating great difficulties for women to fight against honour and modesty culture. You are insisting that the women of such a culture, women who (as Helaine has pointed out) have been raised from infancy to keep their mouths shut and take their beatings, that these women rise up and fight their culture and their laws so that they can hopefully be free to choose their own path in life. This is happening, have you not noticed? They are raising their voices and they are dying for it. Sometimes you have to decide if you want to live to fight another day. How dare you insist that the oppressed are responsible for their oppression?
    YOU ARE BLAMING THE VICTIMS.
    It is not the fault of these women that they are born into or find themselves in an honour culture. It is not even the fault of the men- how can you blame anyone for something that has simply been the way it is for a thousand years or four? It is the responsibility of the entire community to evolve past such culture. The public service announcements in Iraqi Kurdistan, and the changing of some laws there to support the rights of women are a good example of how one can start change in a culture where honour is deeply and seemingly hopelessly entrenched.
    I do appreciate you bringing such issues to light and engaging in conversation about them, but you have so far blamed women for their lot, insisted it lies on their shoulders to change their lot, and also have claimed women should be honest with their oppressors so that their oppressors will supposedly gain enlightenment. All while assuming that oppressed women are aware of their oppression, rather than experiencing the psychological trauma one sustains in such an environment.
    Such comments are harmful to the cause, rather than helpful.
    It seems to me that you do not understand honour culture. That is a compliment.

Reply #45 - December 09, 2015, 12:01 PM

@three you're absolutely right. The nerve of some people who have not experienced the culture first-hand to waffle about something they do not understand is part of the problem. It's Orientalism at its worst.
     Reply #46 - December 09, 2015, 03:07 PM

I am not sure what is going on here.. I say for  "All these IDIOTS  who have this problem with their honor/ their family honor  from all religions ".. should just jump in front of some running train and go  to their  allah or their gods .. whatever...

Trust me, that will solve their honor problems on this earth..

Reply #47 - December 09, 2015, 05:04 PM

I have never made a woman a slave. I think you are mistaken. I have actually freed three women from honour culture, one not yet grown.
    We are referring to honour culture, and not the word honor in the Westernized sense that you are using it. In most honour cultures, there is law backing the culture and creating great difficulties for women to fight against honour and modesty culture. You are insisting that the women of such a culture, women who (as Helaine has pointed out) have been raised from infancy to keep their mouths shut and take their beatings, that these women rise up and fight their culture and their laws so that they can hopefully be free to choose their own path in life. This is happening, have you not noticed? They are raising their voices and they are dying for it. Sometimes you have to decide if you want to live to fight another day. How dare you insist that the oppressed are responsible for their oppression?
    YOU ARE BLAMING THE VICTIMS.
    It is not the fault of these women that they are born into or find themselves in an honour culture. It is not even the fault of the men- how can you blame anyone for something that has simply been the way it is for a thousand years or four? It is the responsibility of the entire community to evolve past such culture. The public service announcements in Iraqi Kurdistan, and the changing of some laws there to support the rights of women are a good example of how one can start change in a culture where honour is deeply and seemingly hopelessly entrenched.
    I do appreciate you bringing such issues to light and engaging in conversation about them, but you have so far blamed women for their lot, insisted it lies on their shoulders to change their lot, and also have claimed women should be honest with their oppressors so that their oppressors will supposedly gain enlightenment. All while assuming that oppressed women are aware of their oppression, rather than experiencing the psychological trauma one sustains in such an environment.
    Such comments are harmful to the cause, rather than helpful.
    It seems to me that you do not understand honour culture. That is a compliment.

I always appreciate compliments but you seem to be trying to have your cake and eat it too.

"How dare you insist that the oppressed are responsible for their oppression?
    YOU ARE BLAMING THE VICTIMS."

Yes as that is where most of the blame lies.

"It is not the fault of these women that they are born into or find themselves in an honour culture. It is not even the fault of the men- how can you blame anyone for something that has simply been the way it is for a thousand years or four? It is the responsibility of the entire community to evolve past such culture."

I agree and that is why I place most of the blame on the victims. They are the ones who have the complaint and they are the ones perpetuating the system of slavery within Islam.

The slave owner is a happy camper and does not want change. It is the slaves who want to be free and it is up to them to push for it.

So tell me again that I blame the wrong party.

Regards
    DL

Reply #48 - December 09, 2015, 05:11 PM

I am not sure what is going on here.. I say for  "All these IDIOTS  who have this problem with their honor/ their family honor  from all religions ".. should just jump in front of some running train and go  to their  allah or their gods .. whatever...

Honor and duty can be good characteristics but not if done the Muslim way. Idol worshipers tend to have poor morals as they just follow poor commands instead of calling out their idolized God on his stupidity and immorality.

Regards
    DL

Reply #49 - December 09, 2015, 07:05 PM

and  
    Honor and duty can be good characteristics but not if done the  Muslim way . Idol worshipers tend to have poor morals as they just follow poor commands instead of calling out their idolized God on his stupidity and immorality.

Regards
    DL

hello DL the snake... No..Nope.. I am forced to cross out all of your post unless you define the words..

1). Honor and duty...

2). Honor and duty in Muslim way...

3). Honor and duty non-Muslim way ..

4). Honor and duty Idol worshippers way....

So please define those four ..

Reply #50 - December 09, 2015, 07:19 PM

Better to get your view of what honor is.

Do you see Muslim honor and duty to other Muslims in these links?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Mecca_girls%27_school_fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY4gNBf2n3o

Regards
    DL

Reply #51 - December 09, 2015, 07:22 PM

DL, could you clarify a few things for me. I am not sure if I am reading ideas into your posts or if these ideas are points which are not communicated as well as you would planned. When talking about blaming women are you talking about the POV that many Muslim women claim such as "I choose to be modest" or "I choose to follow X? In the sense that the dictates of the religion are chosen by the individual, interpreted then enacted by them? The Hijab for example could be argued to be oppressive due to being linked with modest of women. However many choose to wear it but this helps maintain the the cultural standards which also oppress people. So those that claim to be moderate are helping the same system used by radicals or fundamentalist since it is choice rather than something to be enforced?
     Reply #52 - December 09, 2015, 07:55 PM

Wearing a bag over one's head and face is not a sign of modesty.

It is someone bragging about being more modest than the rest of those around her who,  rightly, see it as something un-natural.

What I am blaming women for is for not demanding the freedom that Western countries have and living by that free standard by not dressing the way a husband or father will demand.

Signs of slavery should not be worn in free countries.

Regards
    DL

Reply #53 - December 09, 2015, 08:24 PM

"Wearing a bag over one's head and face is not a sign of modesty.

It is someone bragging about being more modest than the rest of those around her who,  rightly, see it as something un-natural."

I agree with this to some extent. If a woman wants to wear hijab, it's none of my business. However if she starts trying to imply that women who don't wear it is somehow deficient then it becomes a mindset in which she degrades other women. Now you could argue that someone like Miley Cyrus could be looking down at others for the way they dress, but it's always going to be from a "fashion-statement" point of view rather than a "religious-ideological" point of view. Of course if you want to go around degrading other women, from whatever religion you come from (not just islam), then you have the freedom to do so.. As long as you don't encourage any form of extremism.

As far as Burka and Niqab, I agree when Bill Maher says, "You gotta at least have a face so we can identify you." It's very true.

"If you don't like your religion's fundamentalists, then maybe there's something wrong with your religion's fundamentals."
    "Demanding blind respect but not offering any respect in reciprocation is laughable."
    "Let all the people in all the worlds be in peace."
     Reply #54 - December 09, 2015, 08:49 PM

Thanks for agreeing.

I see the garb in question as just as much of an insult to Muslim men as to Muslim women. They seem to think they have no control of themselves, or of their peers, if women show their natural faces. This shows Muslim men as too immature to control their sexual urges.

Strange that Muslim men do not mind confronting other potential sins so as to strengthen themselves against temptation but that in sexual matters, they run from the strengthening defeat of temptation.

FMPOV, they are shooting themselves in the foot and keeping themselves weak.

Regards
    DL

Reply #55 - December 09, 2015, 09:26 PM

Better to get your view of what honor is.

Do you see Muslim honor and duty to other Muslims in these links?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Mecca_girls%27_school_fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY4gNBf2n3o

Regards
    DL

DL delete the links and define the words of the earlier post

your first link is FROM SAND LAND .. that is very little to do with Islam.. I will  NOT generalize Islam of SAND LAND with Muslim folks all over the world..

and I know the story of the  girl in the youtube link .. it is well known news.. Nada Al-Ahdal of Yemen WAS NOT KILLED as your link depicts... So take that away..  and again

1). Honor and duty...

2). Honor and duty in Muslim way...

3). Honor and duty non-Muslim way ..

4). Honor and duty Idol worshippers way....

please define those four

Reply #56 - December 09, 2015, 09:27 PM

Yeah and the crazy thing was that I never had these very simplistic base "desires" when it came to women before Islam.. But I would say Islam mentally retarded me back as a man to over-exaggerate my lust for women.

Then I realized that Allah must have thought we were apes to not have enough intellect to restrain ourselves.

It feels great to be an ex-muslim and see muslim men being turned on by ankles, and women showing feet. lol.

"If you don't like your religion's fundamentalists, then maybe there's something wrong with your religion's fundamentals."
    "Demanding blind respect but not offering any respect in reciprocation is laughable."
    "Let all the people in all the worlds be in peace."
     Reply #57 - December 09, 2015, 09:33 PM

Then I realized that Allah must have thought we were apes to not have enough intellect to restrain ourselves. .................

dear ExMuslimVlogGuy ., the secret of ISLAM is  "There is No allah and there was NO Muhammad"..

so your statement and your realization is invalid

Reply #58 - December 09, 2015, 09:34 PM

Google shows in their stats that the Middle East is the largest consumer of internet porn so only the really retarded are into feet and ankles in these modern days.

They also say that it is the weirdest of porn that is favored by the M E. Animals and what not.

Islam and it's Muslim men can run, but they cannot hide anymore.

Regards
    DL

Reply #59 - December 09, 2015, 09:36 PM

Google shows in their stats that the Middle East is the largest consumer of internet porn so only the really retarded are into feet and ankles in these modern days.

They also say that it is the weirdest of porn that is favored by the M E. Animals and what not.

Islam and it's Muslim men can run, but they cannot hide anymore.

Regards
    DL

That MUST be because of large south asian population in middle east .. On top of that they don't have wives/girlfriends and famliy with them

• Previous page 1 23 4 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »