Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Let me repost and read ElRafa posts in the right folder..

(Read 2840 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Let me repost and read ElRafa posts in the right folder..
     OP - November 01, 2015, 12:07 PM

Let me repost and read ElRafa posts in the right folder..  

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatu…

“The beauty of Islam has been hijacked by Chauvinistic, ignorant men, blinded by demagoguery and the grievances of disillusionment.”

I enter this thread clenching my butt cheeks tightly for fear of complete destruction and violation as a devout practicing Sunni Muslim in a forum like this… but I’ll try my best to address some of the grievances put forth, and tell you why I went on the reverse journey to many of you guys…

I'm Here to get my arguments and opinions smashed, that's how I learn  Smiley
    Firstly I should mention some facts about myself. Without going into too much boring detail, I’m born in a western country from a mixed cultural and racial background and raised in a liberal secular family, where atheism is essentially our official religion.

By the time I was 11 I resolved for myself that religion was total bullshit, and by the time I was 14 or 15 I was an avid proponent of the theories, ideas and arguments of Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris. I guess you could suggest personal experience has seen me consider my faith, a inexplicable series of despicable, euphoric and generally remarkable events, leading me to believe that perhaps there is more to the universe than a random conglomeration of dust, gas and energy. After much deep study, examination, reflection and pondering, I concluded Islam to be the most satisfying explanation for the universe in its totality, and the world around.

This may be somewhat bewildering to you, as I guarantee it is to many of my atheist friends, particularly as the dismantling of the practices of Muslims and naturally the Islamic Religion in contemporary western society is becoming increasingly fashionable.

Why Islam? Well for starters I fell in love with a Muslim girl (Don’t worry about when I say ‘girl’, she’s the same age as me) and she very quickly brought it to my attention that I would have to adopt her religion in order to marry her.

I started reading about what I then saw as my future religion and It became clear to me that some of the messages of Islam were so enlightened and profound, that no man could ever construct them. I had previously believed Islam to be nothing more than the concoction of a brilliant Arab merchant. But In short I was blown away, (not a great expression to use as a Muslim, I know) many of the messages and principles that shone through seemed to so greatly transcend the eye for an eye, jealous, barbaric, warlike, oppressive and often brutal nature of man.  

•The idea that when someone speaks harshly of your religion, that you should respond only with peaceful words, “And the servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk upon the earth easily, and when the ignorant address them [harshly], they say [words of] peace. (Qur'an- Verse 25:63).

•“Repel evil with that which is better” (Qur’an 41:34). Muslims are forbidden from stooping or resorting to evil, even when being victimised, being asked by Allah to, rather than respond angrily and in a similar manner, act in a way that sets the example, as shown in the following verse,

“Let not a group's hostility (hatred of you*) cause you to deviate from justice.” (Quran 5:Cool *both are accepted translations.

•Furthermore these teachings are prevalent in the hadith and in the sayings of the prophet (pbuh)   "To overcome evil with good is good, to resist evil by evil is evil." Being one example.

Some may accuse me of cherry picking, but these are just 4 of over 300 examples and reminders of this message scattered throughout the texts. The fact that this idea is so oft repeated and reiterated, lead me to believe it to be the fundamental overriding message and impression I received from examination of the texts and faith. Islam is to me (these are words I borrowed from somewhere which currently eludes me) To sacrifice my own desires and wills, which are in many cases not beneficial even detrimental to mankind and to submit them to that which transcends all, represents all that is good, merciful, and beneficial to all humanity. The will of Allah.

The disbelievers, for which harsh punishment is vividly described, seem to be those associated primarily with an arrogant disregard for their fellow man, placing their own will above that of their fellow human and the creator. Whilst I personally believe Islam is the best guide for moral action and a sound life (I do not consider the current ‘fascism’ which is prevalent today to correlate with what Islam represents in terms of principles, and any examination of the life of the prophet Mohammed (Pbuh) will expose how many have ignored his integral teachings,) I do not believe that non-muslims will go to hell, just for being non Muslims, due to the fact that this belief is determined by psychological and geopolitical factors. Dr Shabir Ally, a renowned contemporary scholar shares this view ‘Allah is not impractical, and to create people just so they may die and go to hell seems a waste of creation, and just Impractical’. In short I believe life to be a series of choices.

Islam helps you make the right ones in my view, but this does not mean that because you are Christian or Hindu that you always make the wrong ones, rather I believe there are numerous Muslims who make the wrong ones just as often nowadays, and this to me is a grave shame.  

I believe many decide to leave Islam due to negative personal experience, disillusionment or the fundamental belief that Islam represents all that is backwards.. Scientifically, politically, socially, philosophically and ethically or morally. I understand that many, particularly those from traditional families who seek and pursue education to the point when they are capable of running intellectual rings around most in their family or community, are further lead to the conclusion that religion is representative of a by gone era, primitive, fascistic and utterly at odds with all that is good in contemporary western society.

I fundamentally disagree with the idea that those who abandon their faith should be killed for it. This is a failure of Muslim jurists, leaders and scholars, who mistranslate and misread the word ‘irtidad’ additionally failing to consider the contexts of the hadith they provide to support the death penalty for apostasy. Famous Islamic scholar Ibn Taymiyyah himself urged the need to contextualise the verses of the Qur’an and the hadith, as this was a revelation which took place over 23 years.  There is no mention of death penalty for apostates in the Qur’an, and whenever this is the case I immediately become suspicious, fearing the meddling hands of men who later changed, altered or manufactured this teaching by providing some out of context hadith. For example, the hadith where the prophet (PBUH) stated that anyone who changes his religion to be killed, came during a period of war, when the Muslims controlled a single town, and were cornered by ‘the disbelievers’, who literally fought as a united army against the united army of the Muslims.

Thus this act was literally a seditious defection, rather than a spiritual or theological disillusionment.  These hadith weren’t proscribed for a 21st century world, and that is clear for anyone with an open mind to see. Unfortunately many scholars either, don’t want to see because it doesn’t agree with their political agenda, or are too narrow minded to comprehend the totality of their own complex faith.

Many Muslims (not necessarily a majority) have a limited understanding of their own religion, texts, theology and spirituality. Just as the Islamic world has succumbed to a cavernous political and scientific depression, it has also been racked by a deep loss of spiritual and religious understanding, as these revolting warlord grandpa sheikhs in the middle east politicise their theological beliefs, prompting inter sectarian quarrels and propagating a form of Nazi like fascism. The political and economic depressions in the Islamic world has furthermore opened the ears of many to more radical interpretations, just look at ISIS, an embodiment of this phenomenon of how Radical movements embrace and ride the surging tides of disillusionment.

No nation in the Middle East is 'an Islamic society'. They are dictatorships, monarchies and basket-cases of the highest order. We should look at the contemporary Middle East as an example of how far Islam has fallen, and perhaps examine the reasons for this. In my view they are numerous and complex. (It is far to simplistic to blame colonialism solely, as many Islamists do).

Everything I have written comes from within the Islamic tradition and has already been said by mainstream scholars, either contemporary or throughout antiquity. I am not innovating or changing anything, and I assure you my views are shared by a remarkably large portion of the Islamic community… I must end this essay of considerable length by saying…

Uphold the 5 pillars, and the shahada, And you will be considered a Muslim.. no one can take that title away from you If they do, then my religion teaches me that they have committed a grave sin themselves, for only Allah (Swt) is the sole Judge of his creation.

Not wearing a hijab, having a girlfriend/boyfriend, being gay, drinking alcohol, not believing literal interpretations of Jinn’s and Angels, not agreeing with everything a Sheikh says, or anything a sheikh says is not considered proper behavior in Islam of course, but that does not turn you away from Islam, or make you a worse person. Even the most pious of scholars, the most rampant of literalists, are guilty of their own sins, and will answer to Allah (Swt) for them just as anyone. Treat creation kindly, and reflect on this hadith….

“A prostitute was forgiven by Allah, because, passing by a panting dog near a well and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst, she took off her shoe, and tying it with her head-cover she drew out some water for it. So, Allah forgave her because of that.” 4:538- Abu Huraira

That is Islam ladies and gents^

Please do not let your grievances with and observations of Muslims, affect your perceptions of Islam. Also feel free to take me apart or engage
    Thank you for reading and Peace be upon you all.

That is the first post of ElRafa  .. and hello ElRafa .... welcome to the den..

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #1 - November 01, 2015, 06:49 PM

Hello  ElRafa., I hope you will become an active member of this CEMB community., So on that thought nbhb asks a question to utopianmurrelet at this link .. let me put that here with the hope you will think for answer or you already have an anwer

Dismantle of Ottoman Empire by Colonial powers. It's funny when you hear a colonial power was dismantled by another colonial power.

How was the imperialism the main problem? Please explain.  Bare in mind that is now more than fifty years and there's small if any progress in the Muslims world. Also there are countries like South Korea, Singapore, China who are doing just fine.  Singapore near Indonesia and Malaysia. South Korea was very, very poor after WW2.

Finally, can you tell me one Muslim majority country today which you will describe yourself as a success? In terms of richness, human rights, democracy? One in which Islam and democracy, human rights are all getting along just fine.

that question we must answer.. you & me   together...

Reply #2 - November 02, 2015, 08:05 AM

ElRafa   says to Helaine
    Helaine,
    I suggest you examine, if you already haven't, the writings and theses of Scholar and Professor Tariq Ramadan. You will see that I am not just making this all up, also he is more eloquent and informed than I,

well let me put  this link of  Professor Tariq Ramadan. from CEMB and from web

http://tariqramadan.com/english/
    http://councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=9879.0

Brother Tariq: The Doublespeak of Tariq Ramadan

In the Footsteps of the Prophet: Lessons from the Life of Muhammad 1st Edition ......by Tariq Ramadan (Author)]

Reply #3 - November 03, 2015, 01:55 AM

well ElRafa is missing in action so let me read his 2nd long post..  So
    ElRafa  says in his 2nd post  says to Helaine
    Helaine,

Firstly I'd request you don't whitewash all apologists, I am not them, they are not me. You don't know my level of education or experience with Muslim countries, but you assumed it was minimal. I do not appreciate such assumptions. I lived in a Muslim country for two years.

Most Muslims in South and South East Asia, I am well aware of this, consider;
    I wrote what I did as a preemptive address to those who use the 'but look at the middle east'  finmad line to refute my points about justice, peace and humanitarianism in Islam. It was simplistic because it was actually not one of my major points, but since you seem passionate about the topic I will address the points you made.

In The middle ages, the catholic church and religion was used as a means of maintaining the feudal system and the perpetual enslavement of the lower classes, who were compelled to do the bidding of their god for fear of eternal punishment which, interestingly enough, coincided with the bidding of the rulers of the time. The crusades are an example of how scriptural and religious can be warped easily into giving credence and support to political motivations.

My point, It is the politicization of Islam at the hands of more intelligent and cunning men whom use it as a means to fulfill political ambitions that has resulted in the degraded state of Islam. I like the term 'grandpa sheikhs and i'm not referring to scholars necessarily, rather those who malicious puppeteers who contradict the teachings of Islam by in-sighting inter-sectarian and societal divisions.

I say these societies are Un-Islamic because they contradict fundamental teachings in the Qur'an and the Hadith. That is all. I believe there to be a clear disparity between my understanding of Islam but more importantly the understandings of many of the scholars that I read

You are trying to ignore all the atrocities aren't you? If it fails, it's not Islam if it doesn't then it's Islam. That's not a very honest assessment.  No I'm not. We need a stronger authority within the religion as to what Islam is and what Politics Is. There has been an unfortunate fusion between the two of late. Islam is a religion.

You want to know the truth? Our politics and culture are heavily stagnated by Islam. There is a lot of campaign by muslims to align everything with Islam, and to seek justification from Islam before determining the worth of something. Picking a president? Look at how well he does Salat and how he promises to make the country better for muslims. Apparently we're not picking presidents based on their capabilities now, it's just religion. Ever wonder why our politics is so shit?

Yo

Oh, a certain tribe have revealing ethnic clothes? Cover it up... We need hijab for everyone! It is not said Anywhere in the Qur'an that a woman should be forced to wear the Hijab.

Do you ever wonder why growth in Islamic countries are so slow? Because Allah is the most important thing, and people don't make judgment based on their brain, it's just based on Allah. Peasant farmers who have very little savings? Splurge all of it on Hajj trip. Don't save for retirement or expanding your business, spend it for Allah instead. Yes there are millions of people doing this. It's insane. I used to live in relatively low-income neighborhood and they all want to do Hajj. Ever wonder why they are still poor?

It is quite actively discouraged in Islam to go on Hajj if you lack the financial capabilities to do so. This is the scholarly consensus and has always been quite emphatic.  Are you seriously suggesting Hajj to be the reason that Islamic countries are dealing with such profoundly poor economic growth? In Iran, i'd say its attributable to the considerable sanctions of the last two decades, and one of the most brutal wars of the modern era. In Saudi Arabia, a Wahabbi society, which is a fringe and almost fascistic Islamic movement, its due to rife corruption at the hands of the decadent oil magnates and royals, who use Islam as a tool to maintain order and subservience to the state, In Sudan its once again due to rife political instability due to ethnic tensions and war, In Pakistan its due to chronic poverty, overpopulation and poor distribution of wealth, in Afghanistan its due to an almost chronic history of conflict, in north africa, poor distribution of wealth and conflict.

Very rarely is Islam the cause of poverty in society, and furthermore, in how many of these so called Islamic societies is the remedy for poverty 'the zakat' enforced. Never.

You do realize that's how it is in Islamic countries as well, right? We also draw Islamic traditions from mainstream scholars modern or ancient. Where do you think we get it from? Those grandpa sheikhs that you think are in the wrong? They also have scholarship that back them up. Trust me, they know more Islam than you do.
    The problem is with their interpretation.

They may know the texts better than me, but my assertion (well not actually mine, I borrowed it from scholars) is that the way they view this text is narrow and thus their understanding limited. This is because none pay heed to context of the revelation, and their are often ulterior motives for their chosen means of interpretation, rather than the acquisition of a profound spiritual understanding.  Furthermore you have again managed to highlight one of my primary ideas about Islam, that it is used as a political tool, by men seeking power. There is warranty there if you would like to superficially extract a contextualized hadith about those who deviate from the faith in order to sanction the murder and intolerance we are seeing presently today. Our crisis is a lack of authority if anything.

Just how much do you know about Islamic countries and muslims really? Nothing? How much do you think the Islam in the Middle East today is about personal spirituality and the unity of the ummah?and how much do you think is about politics?

Furthermore you accuse me of lack of knowledge of the political situation in the middle east.  What is your understanding of classical Islamic studies?

well that is what ElRafa says Now let me read some news..    daily pakistan.com.   at this link with this picture says..

Men can eat their wives if they feel severe hunger, Saudi Mufti issues fatwa

JEDDAH (Web Desk) – Saudi Grand Mufti Abdul Aziz bin Abdullah has issued a new fatwa saying men in Saudi Arabia “can eat their wives if they are suffering severe hunger”, reports the Mirror.

The ruling is said to represent the “sacrifice of women and obedience to her husband”, but human right activists are enraged by the fatwa.

The fatwa guidelines allow a husband to eat his wife’s body parts in extreme circumstances. Abdul Aziz bin Abdullah had earlier stirred a controversy when he called on all churches to be destroyed under the Islamic law.

However, Saudi Arabia’s Grand Mufti Sheikh has denied issuing such a fatwa.

His statement to the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) says “attempts by enemies to distract society from their main cause at the moment, which is standing together behind our wise leadership against attempts to distort the ummah [the world’s Muslims].”

The news of the fake fatwa was first mentioned in a sarcastic column written by a satirst Moroccan blogger called “Israfel al-Maghribi”, reports the CNN Arabi.

and that is published on  October 29, 2015 2:00 pm..

Reply #4 - November 03, 2015, 02:15 AM

So in the above post I highlighted some words from  ElRafa post... let me re post those words  and read some Quran & hadith..

"I say these societies are Un-Islamic because they contradict fundamental teachings in the Qur'an and the Hadith. "...... ElRafa..

We need a stronger authority within the religion as to what Islam is and what Politics Is. There has been an unfortunate fusion between the two of late. Islam is a religion. .. ..... ElRafa..

Furthermore you have again managed to highlight one of my primary ideas about Islam, that it is used as a political tool, by men seeking power...... .... ElRafa..

well let us read Quran...

1   O Prophet! Why do you forbid (for yourself) that which Allah has allowed to you, seeking to please your wives? And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.   

2   Allah has already ordained for you (O men) the absolution from your oaths. And Allah is your Maula (Lord, or Master, or Protector) and He is the All-Knower, the All-Wise.   

3   And (remember) when the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) disclosed a matter in confidence to one of his wives (Hafsah), then she told it (to another i.e. 'Aishah). And Allah made it known to him; he informed part thereof and left a part. Then when he told her (Hafsah) thereof, she said: "Who told you this?" He said: "The All-Knower, the All-Aware (Allah) has told me."   

4   If you two (wives of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم : 'Aishah and Hafsah رضي الله عنهما) turn in repentance to Allah, (it will be better for you), your hearts are indeed so inclined (to oppose what the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم likes); but if you help one another against him (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم), then verily, Allah is his Maula (Lord, or Master, or Protector), and Jibril (Gabriel), and the righteous among the believers; and furthermore, the angels are his helpers.   

5   It may be if he divorced you (all) that his Lord will give him instead of you, wives better than you - Muslims (who submit to Allah), believers, obedient (to Allah), turning to Allah in repentance, worshipping Allah sincerely, given to fasting or emigrants (for Allah's sake), previously married and virgins.   

6   O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allah, but do that which they are commanded.   

7   (It will be said in the Hereafter) O you who disbelieve (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism)! Make no excuses this Day! You are being requited only for what you used to do.   

8   O you who believe! Turn to Allah with sincere repentance! It may be that your Lord will expiate from you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise) - the Day that Allah will not disgrace the Prophet (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) and those who believe with him. Their Light will run forward before them and (with their Records - Books of deeds) in their right hands. They will say: "Our Lord! Keep perfect our Light for us [and do not put it off till we cross over the Sirat (a slippery bridge over the Hell) safely] and grant us forgiveness. Verily, You are Able to do all things."   

9   O Prophet (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم)! Strive hard against the disbelievers and the hypocrites, and be severe against them; their abode will be Hell, and worst indeed is that destination.   

10   Allah sets forth an example for those who disbelieve: the wife of Nuh (Noah) and the wife of Lut (Lot). They were under two of our righteous slaves, but they both betrayed them (their husbands by rejecting their doctrine). So they [Nuh (Noah) and Lut (Lot) عليهما السلام] availed them (their respective wives) not against Allah and it was said: "Enter the Fire along with those who enter!"   

11   And Allah has set forth an example for those who believe: the wife of Fir'aun (Pharaoh), when she said: "My Lord! Build for me a home with You in Paradise, and save me from Fir'aun (Pharaoh) and his work, and save me from the people who are Zalimun (polytheists, wrong-doers and disbelievers in Allah).   

12   And Maryam (Mary), the daughter of 'Imran who guarded her chastity. And We breathed into (the sleeve of her shirt or her garment) through Our Ruh [i.e. Jibril (Gabriel) ], and she testified to the truth of the Words of her Lord [i.e. believed in the Words of Allah: "Be!" - and he was; that is 'Îsa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary) as a Messenger of Allah], and (also believed in) His Scriptures, and she was of the Qanitun (i.e. obedient to Allah) .

all that is from that chapter-66.. whole chapter..

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »