Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Blatant misogyny in Islam is what is making me question it.

(Read 112443 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 8 ... 21 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Blatant misogyny in Islam is what is making me question it.
     Reply #150 - August 19, 2015, 11:17 PM

Theologically he was always god. It's not like he turned it off. When I was a child it occurred to me that there was an implication if this was his plan from the beginning that no one mentioned. He knew he was god, he knew he couldn't actually be killed, so one has to wonder exactly how much the term sacrifice applies. Also, if he took my sins onto himself and believed in turning the other cheek, showing kindness and mercy to those who wronged you, why would he send people to hell for not believing? Also, everything is part of his plan. If he wanted me to believe, why did he make me an atheist? Ahh, childhood memories.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #151 - August 19, 2015, 11:32 PM

Transversely, "God hated being a human so much he killed himself."

Cheesy Cheesy
     Reply #152 - August 20, 2015, 04:21 AM

Girl, you might find this worth a look.

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=14489.0

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #153 - August 20, 2015, 10:17 AM

@Quod Sum Eris that sounds very interesting, I'll take a look at it.
     Reply #154 - August 20, 2015, 09:28 PM

Girl, on the plus side you have an ex-muslim for a sister. Are you close with her? Be nice to have a sibling to confide in.

Sorry, I hadn't seen this before.

I did speak to her about it recently, she told me what most people here have said:to do what I feel is right Smiley. Honestly I don't know how I overlooked so many things without questioning until recently.
     Reply #155 - August 20, 2015, 10:15 PM

Honestly I don't know how I overlooked so many things without questioning until recently.

Don't feel bad, we've all done that.
     Reply #156 - August 21, 2015, 06:29 AM

btw agirlwithdoubts - I couldn't help taking a look at ummah.com after you said you asked questions there and found this thread which I'm guessing is the one:

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?448176-I-am-having-some-very-serious-doubts-which-I-need-to-address-(

It's working. Let's see what delights ummah has in store. I'm going to guess guilt tripping, insults, claims that something is wrong with you, fearmongering, threats about hell, and some version of who are you to question allah. No actual answers to any questions. Let's find out. popcorn

Reply #157 - August 21, 2015, 07:19 AM

Sorry, I hadn't seen this before.

I did speak to her about it recently, she told me what most people here have said:to do what I feel is right Smiley. Honestly I don't know how I overlooked so many things without questioning until recently.

This is not your failing but one of human nature. As Humans we tend to not like any new ideas or views that do not align with those we currently hold, especially if vastly different. At times isolation from these ideas shields us from seeing the flaws in ideas we currently hold. The preconception that women face a huge risk while being active in the world is one of projection and backwards thinking of the past. My mother was a single parent, she worked the normal 40 hour week, 8/9-5. She was never attacked by anyone. She never did anything that looked badly upon herself or her family. She provided me with a life in which I was not facing hunger, not facing a lack of money for cloths, for school, for sports, etc. Her father thought she should not go to college. She ignored him. She went to collage gaining a degree in accounting. She did very well for herself retiring as the head accountant for a tourist hot spot of Vancouver which is a 32 acre Garden attraction. She also managed the books for 2-4 stores for the company, some closed due to ownership choices. If she listened to her father her life and my own would have been horrible. She also get me my first job which was managing the computer systems of the store and a portable radio board for the owners weekly florist radio show. None of this would have happened if she followed the restricted thinking of my father, a slacker, and her father stuck in thinking from the 30s-50s.

I can understand some women want to be house makers. There is nothing wrong with this. However this should be their choice. Not the dictates of a religion, father nor husband.

Reply #158 - August 21, 2015, 08:13 AM

It's working. Let's see what delights ummah has in store. I'm going to guess guilt tripping, insults, claims that something is wrong with you, fearmongering, threats about hell, and some version of who are you to question allah. No actual answers to any questions. Let's find out. popcorn

Just read all four pages. Nailed it. Afro

Reply #159 - August 21, 2015, 08:21 AM

Nope, none of them were able to answer me. I am interested in what their scholars have to say about slaves and rape. I doubt that they will have an answer but at least if listen then no one can tell me that I didn't try.

There's a thread with some members defending rape over here. That's what pushed me to start posting on this forum:
    http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?448913-Muslims-can-have-sex-with-female-slaves-(Kaniz-in-Persian)
     Reply #160 - August 21, 2015, 08:34 AM

I'll check it out. So I'm curious, considering the vast majority of us here are atheists/agnostics and obviously of the view islam is bollocks and allah doesn't exist, are we what you expected?

Reply #161 - August 21, 2015, 09:02 AM

I'll check it out. So I'm curious, considering the vast majority of us here are atheists/agnostics and obviously of the view islam is bollocks and allah doesn't exist, are we what you expected?

I wasn't really sure what to expect (though I can predict what the scholars might say now). I always told myself that the Quran was the truth and that Heaven and Hell were undoubtedly real but over the past 2 years or so I have felt so disconnected from it all and was barely practicing my religion. Then when I found out that my sister apostated this year that was when I really started to question it. I was always told that Allah has a good reason for everything he commands so I wondered whether there was a good reason for all of the sexist rules or that maybe I had misinterpreted them.

Now I'm more certain that the reason they are sexist is due to the time in which they were written but that contradicts what people say about Islam being for all times. Once I listen to those who are renowned scholars and they confirm what I think I already know, at least I can make my decision with a clear conscience. No one can tell me that I rushed to leave the religion without trying to find a way back.
     Reply #162 - August 21, 2015, 09:12 AM

I'm done with Ummah.com and will try not to log in ever again. Tired of the ignorant mentality that some of the users there have and how whenever you question something that is unfair they say things along the lines of "do you have a problem with what Allah has ordained?".

IslamQA issued a fatwa telling a girl with an abusive dad who might force her into marriage that running away from home would be a greater sin than anything the dad does because she would ruin his reputation in doing so. I expressed my disgust for this fatwa but there were a number of users defending it and saying that the girl cannot travel without a make guardian so she would be fighting haram with haram. Then what is she supposed to do??? That ignorant mentality is toxic, I want nothing more to do with that forum.
     Reply #163 - August 21, 2015, 09:15 AM

None of this would have happened if she followed the restricted thinking of my father, a slacker, and her father stuck in thinking from the 30s-50s.

Somehow, my great-grandfather (died in 1950) and my grandmother (born in 1917) were from the time period and yet managed to not have any of its ideas; but my grandmother did know that this was the exception and not the rule to people of her era. Her father would tell her that "God wouldn't have given women brains if he didn't intend for you to use them": basically, "you're just as smart as your brother, and that's not an accident, so you are going to study just as much as him and do just as much with your life." He taught her to change the tyre of her car (shhh it's almost doctor who season, I need to practice my British), sent her to university where she met the guy she ended up marrying (she got a degree as a dental hygienist, and he got one as a dentist, and then they worked in the same practice until she decided to leave)...and yet despite all that, my dad ended up regressing into having no respect for women, or at least, not caring how women around him were being treated, like me for example. Most of the toxic ideas of myself and abuse I got from my mom, he hated her guts so he hung around her as little as possible and didn't bother to intervene when she was berating me or teaching me toxic views of femininity or beating me or whatever, or when anyone else did either. Schizophrenia, man....horrible....horrible disease. I have a feeling that if it wasn't for his schizophrenia, he'd have been a pretty decent human being.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #164 - August 21, 2015, 09:15 AM

I wasn't really sure what to expect (though I can predict what the scholars might say now). I always told myself that the Quran was the truth and that Heaven and Hell were undoubtedly real but over the past 2 years or so I have felt so disconnected from it all and was barely practicing my religion. Then when I found out that my sister apostated this year that was when I really started to question it. I was always told that Allah has a good reason for everything he commands so I wondered whether there was a good reason for all of the sexist rules or that maybe I had misinterpreted them.

Now I'm more certain that the reason they are sexist is due to the time in which they were written but that contradicts what people say about Islam being for all times. Once I listen to those who are renowned scholars and they confirm what I think I already know, at least I can make my decision with a clear conscience. No one can tell me that I rushed to leave the religion without trying to find a way back.

I once heard or read the women in Medina, or at least the higher class ones, were resistant to Mo and his new religion because under islamic law they'd be worse off. I can't remember where I came across that so I can't say how true it is.

I'm quite dismissive of the notion of an afterlife, but obviously I can't prove it either way. There could be a god and no afterlife. There could be an afterlife and no god.

Even if you do leave islam it doesn't mean you automatically have to give up these notions. Your options aren't simply islam or atheism, and I say that as an atheist.

Reply #165 - August 21, 2015, 09:34 AM

@Quod Sum Eris this is a quote from Umar Ibn AlKhattab ( the full Hadith is too long to post):
    I said, `Have you divorced your wives, O Allah's Messenger' He raised his eyes to me and replied no. I said, `Allahu Akbar. O Allah's Messenger! We, the people of Quraysh used to have the upper hand over our women. But when we came to Al-Madinah, we found a people whose women had the upper hand over them. Our women started learning this behavior from them. Once, I got angry with my wife, and she talked back to me. I disliked that behavior from her and she said, `Why do you dislike that I talk back to you By Allah, the Prophet's wives talk back to him and one of them would ignore him the whole day, until the night.' I said to her, `Whoever does this among them is the ruined loser! Does she feel safe from Allah getting angry with her on account of His Messenger's anger In that case, she would be ruined.' On that the Prophet smiled. I then said, `O Allah's Messenger! I went to Hafsah and said to her, `Do not be tempted to imitate your companion (`A'ishah) for she is more beautiful than you and more beloved to the Prophet.' The Prophet smiled again. When I saw him smiling, I said, `Does the Messenger feel calm' He said, `Yes.' So, I sat down and cast a glance at the room, and by Allah, I couldn't see anything of importance, except three hides. I said, `Invoke Allah, O Allah's Messenger, to make your followers prosperous, for the Persians and the Byzantines have been made prosperous and given worldly luxuries, even though they do not worship Allah.' The Prophet sat upright and said,

(Bukhari 7.119)

So yes, it's quite possible that the women of the Ansar did have it better. I can't think of any other sources but there could be others out there that I wasn't aware of.
     Reply #166 - August 21, 2015, 09:46 AM

Cheesy I almost spat out my tea reading that. Cheers for the reference, I'm going to look up the full thing.

Reply #167 - August 21, 2015, 10:04 AM

@Quod Sum Eris this is a quote from Umar Ibn AlKhattab ( the full Hadith is too long to post): (Bukhari 7.119)

that is one heck of strange hadith which connects Islam to Persians of that time ., Incidentally readers should know that there are few hadith on Persians..  ..Let me add these hadith junk on persians in to that resource folder.. they are useful stuff as reference to educate fools in Islam on the ORIGINS OF ISLAM..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #168 - August 21, 2015, 10:23 AM

Somehow, my great-grandfather (died in 1950) and my grandmother (born in 1917) were from the time period and yet managed to not have any of its ideas; but my grandmother did know that this was the exception and not the rule to people of her era. Her father would tell her that "God wouldn't have given women brains if he didn't intend for you to use them": basically, "you're just as smart as your brother, and that's not an accident, so you are going to study just as much as him and do just as much with your life." He taught her to change the tyre of her car (shhh it's almost doctor who season, I need to practice my British), sent her to university where she met the guy she ended up marrying (she got a degree as a dental hygienist, and he got one as a dentist, and then they worked in the same practice until she decided to leave)...and yet despite all that, my dad ended up regressing into having no respect for women, or at least, not caring how women around him were being treated, like me for example. Most of the toxic ideas of myself and abuse I got from my mom, he hated her guts so he hung around her as little as possible and didn't bother to intervene when she was berating me or teaching me toxic views of femininity or beating me or whatever, or when anyone else did either. Schizophrenia, man....horrible....horrible disease. I have a feeling that if it wasn't for his schizophrenia, he'd have been a pretty decent human being.

At times social norms can change anyone for better or worse. It is just horrible when these changes are forced on to those surround individuals

Those are not scholars, those are theologians. Theologians explain God via a text; Bible, Quran. Torah. They explain the religions to the faithful. They explain the purpose of verses in relation to God and the believer. The text is treated a true link between God and us. A scholar explains a text but not as a direct link to God. Texts are treated as historical items thus references to it historical environment. The only time ideas from texts are references to the modern word is when cross-referencing theology. So slavery verses for a theologian have a divine purpose, laws, conduct, etc. Slavery verses for a scholar would cover the fact that slavery was a per-existing condition and its uses in society. Theologians will sugarcoat slavery while scholars will not. Scholars will point of the Arab slave trade is linked with the Quran. Theologians will avoid such a link if possible. There is an inherent bias from theologians as they believe in the very subject they have an expertise in. Scholars must remove or challenge their bias. Those that do not are "called out" by other scholars. For example a Evangelical scholar that embraces the idea of inerrancy as true has become a theologian. Likewise scholars that accept the belief that the Quran is Allah's word also has become a theologian.

Theologians teach what they preach. Scholars just teach. The above is the primary reason scholarship on religious texts is slow to change and so varied. The majority bring their beliefs into their work thus become theologians.
     Reply #169 - August 21, 2015, 10:26 AM

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?448913-Muslims-can-have-sex-with-female-slaves-(Kaniz-in-Persian)]http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?448913-Muslims-can-have-sex-with-female-slaves-(Kaniz-in-Persian)

I think this basically sums things up.

Originally Posted by renleyBarnett  View Post
    slaves are humans you apathetic sociopath.

How would you like it if you were forced into slavery?

19-08-15, 11:40 PM #111
    Abd al-Rahman
    Go away kafir

Reply #170 - August 21, 2015, 10:32 AM

Sorry, I misunderstood what you asked. As for what I was expecting when I posted here....for so long I would ask Muslims question, hoping they could convince me that Islam is the truth. After being told that masters could have sex with slave girls and that these women did not have a say in it I thought I might try and get answers from non-Muslims to convince me that Islam is not the truth. And who better to ask than ex-Muslims who knew (and in most cases) loved the religion before choosing to leave it? I figured I could form an unbiased opinion a after hearing both sides.
     Reply #171 - August 21, 2015, 10:34 AM

I think this basically sums things up.

(Clicky for piccy!)

I know right? Some of them seem to have a despicable superiority complex and view "kaffirs" as some sort of subhuman species.
     Reply #172 - August 21, 2015, 10:36 AM

I do think the religion itself can play a hand in this. I'm going to see if I can find an intro thread from a few years ago and quote something from it, I'd be very interested in your thoughts.

Reply #173 - August 21, 2015, 10:37 AM

that is one heck of strange hadith which connects Islam to Persians of that time ., Incidentally readers should know that there are few hadith on Persians..  ..Let me add these hadith junk on persians in to that resource folder.. they are useful stuff as reference to educate fools in Islam on the ORIGINS OF ISLAM..

It's amazing just how much of the Abrahamic traditions are directly related to the Persians and in particular the zoroastrians.....tons of the Abrahamic texts are "borrowed" from Zoroastrian texts, but the originals make more sense with the focus on the duality of Ahura Mazda and Angra Mainyu instead of the rather nebulous relationship between God and Satan, where it's unclear how/why God, who has all power, would create a devil, why the devil would disobey, and how an inherently inferior being managed to bring evil into his world.

It makes more sense as a sort of yin/yang idea, where one force is working towards creation, good, and order, and the other force is working towards destruction, evil, and chaos. Like, to put a more modern set of terms onto it, it's like if we called Ahura Mazda "SWEG, embodiment of the strong, weak, electromagnetic, and gravitational forces" and called Angra Mainyu "Entropy", and said they're in a constant battle for the future of the universe. Actually, take that and throw out all the crap about the final judgment, and that sounds like a promising religion. Tongue Besides, we're pretty much due for another appropriation/bastardization of Zoroastrianism, right? It's been ages since the last one....

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #174 - August 21, 2015, 10:45 AM

I do think the religion itself can play a hand in this. I'm going to see if I can find an intro thread from a few years ago and quote something from it, I'd be very interested in your thoughts.

In rape or the superiority complex. I was in denial at first but yes, in both cases it could be true. Especially after I read Safiyyah's story I think that it religion did enable enslavement and rape.
     Reply #175 - August 21, 2015, 10:47 AM

Found it.

Well I keep hearing the phrase Islam is the religion of peace constantly in media, friends etc.

the Idea of Islam is to build a Utopia with a certain few in control, literally puts the prophet on the same level as Hitler, Killing of other religions, slavery of those who were different, starting wars.

You touched on something about islam being a religion of peace. This isn't the case. That's not to say it's a religion of violence, but that it's both. You can find justifications in the quran for living a life of peace and for living a life of violence because it isn't wholly one or the other. Your Hitler analogy was interesting. Throughout the quran there's talk about the believers, and the kaffir. It's important to note the quran makes a huge distinction. Those who aren't muslims are inferior. The quran compares non muslims as beasts of burden, on the same level as animals, and according to some preachers worse than animals. Islam must be spread by the sword, peace through slaughter and conquest.

But then by that same token, god made us different tribes so we might know each other. So you can cherry pick. But the quran is supposed to be taken in it's entirety as the ultimate true word of god. If you don't believe this part here, why should you believe this other part over here?

This and many more examples are why I'm not a muslim. or a follower of any other religion, all making the same claims, all claiming to be true, to be the word of whatever god they describe. But if something is supposed to be the wisdom of an all powerful all knowing deity who created everything, why is there so many errors? Why are they filled with what seems to be the best knowledge of the time they were written? The only conclusion I can come to is that they were not written by the god described in these holy books but by people.

Reply #176 - August 21, 2015, 10:51 AM

At times social norms can change anyone for better or worse. It is just horrible when these changes are forced on to those surround individuals

Those are not scholars, those are theologians. Theologians explain God via a text; Bible, Quran. Torah. They explain the religions to the faithful. They explain the purpose of verses in relation to God and the believer. The text is treated a true link between God and us. A scholar explains a text but not as a direct link to God. Texts are treated as historical items thus references to it historical environment. The only time ideas from texts are references to the modern word is when cross-referencing theology. So slavery verses for a theologian have a divine purpose, laws, conduct, etc. Slavery verses for a scholar would cover the fact that slavery was a per-existing condition and its uses in society. Theologians will sugarcoat slavery while scholars will not. Scholars will point of the Arab slave trade is linked with the Quran. Theologians will avoid such a link if possible. There is an inherent bias from theologians as they believe in the very subject they have an expertise in. Scholars must remove or challenge their bias. Those that do not are "called out" by other scholars. For example a Evangelical scholar that embraces the idea of inerrancy as true has become a theologian. Likewise scholars that accept the belief that the Quran is Allah's word also has become a theologian.

Theologians teach what they preach. Scholars just teach. The above is the primary reason scholarship on religious texts is slow to change and so varied. The majority bring their beliefs into their work thus become theologians.

Thanks for the explanation Smiley

Honestly I have seen all of the sugarcoating of slavery that there is to see (eg. Slaves were treated better under Islamic rule and only the master was allowed to have intercourse with her, she would even become a free woman once she bore him a child!) but at the end of the day rape is rape. So if I do consult a Theologian and get this same type of sugarcoating, I will have no problem seeing right through it.
     Reply #177 - August 21, 2015, 10:54 AM

Found it.

Interesting....there are a lot of verses in the Quran which contradict each other so how are we able to accept the who book as the truth? Could work for someone with multiple personality disorder, perhaps :/
     Reply #178 - August 21, 2015, 11:02 AM

My point was about the teachings on non-muslims. This bit:

Your Hitler analogy was interesting. Throughout the quran there's talk about the believers, and the kaffir. It's important to note the quran makes a huge distinction. Those who aren't muslims are inferior. The quran compares non muslims as beasts of burden, on the same level as animals, and according to some preachers worse than animals.

Not only are these things reprehensible, but they are actually taught as divine truth. When I reflect on this, I can't help but think it's no wonder groups like the islamic state and boko haram exist. A religion that teaches such things about fellow human beings is bound to produce psychopaths.

Reply #179 - August 21, 2015, 11:11 AM

Not only are these things reprehensible, but they are actually taught as divine truth. When I reflect on this, I can't help but think it's no wonder groups like the islamic state and boko haram exist. A religion that teaches such things about fellow human beings is bound to produce psychopaths.

That's true, I have met people who believe that non-Muslims are inferior to them and these are normally men and women who have nothing going for them. They feel inadequate, having achieved nothing in their lives so cling to their religion so that they can have that sense of superiority. I can only guess that the bigoted posters on Ummah.com are such people outside of the world of the Internet.
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 8 ... 21 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »