Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Was it fundamentally wrong to move that racist thread?

(Read 10608 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Was it fundamentally wrong to move that racist thread?
     OP - July 29, 2015, 04:31 PM

Question for HM:

You moved that recent thread, that was created by the bigoted and slightly malicious Prophet, to Damnation.

Could you not put it somewhere where we could still read it if we wanted? For instance, in the NSFW area? I think your last post on there, plus others on the thread, are well worth re-reading and I frustratingly can't get to them.

Hi
     Reply #1 - August 04, 2015, 01:49 AM

Was it fundamentally wrong to move that racist thread? No.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #2 - August 04, 2015, 11:03 AM

Would it be good to start a "why racism is fundamentally wrong" thread?

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #3 - August 04, 2015, 11:33 AM

Question for HM:

You moved that recent thread, that was created by the bigoted and slightly malicious Prophet, to Damnation.

Could you not put it somewhere where we could still read it if we wanted? For instance, in the NSFW area? I think your last post on there, plus others on the thread, are well worth re-reading and I frustratingly can't get to them.

musivore  you can read that HM's post here at http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=12698.msg829775#msg829775  such thoughtful articulated words/posts are very useful to educate racist mindset.

Would it be good to start a "why racism is fundamentally wrong" thread?

hello   galfromusa.,  it is so nakedly wrong., so patently wrong ., it is as wrong as an adult  peeing on a road in public.,  So I am not sure you need a folder with such a heading.  But it would be very useful to educate the readers on subjects like.,

How to interact and how educate a racist mindset....
    or.. or.. what religions/religious scriptures say about Racism
    and  and for a fellow like me .,a more useful subject could be the origins of racism in the history of mankind.  

However I look I can not escape the fact  of biological evolution of human beings..  and racism can not be older that  say at the best 6000 years..  

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - August 04, 2015, 10:29 PM

Was it fundamentally wrong to move that racist thread? No.

Thanx

Hi
     Reply #5 - August 04, 2015, 10:32 PM

For the record, I was after preservation of that post in particular, and the argument against racism in general. Cheetah kind of obliged  Afro

Hi
     Reply #6 - August 04, 2015, 11:33 PM

I think it would be a good idea, tho, to do a comprehensive thing about why racism is wrong, on a biological level, on a sociological level, on a socio-politics of crime level, etc. Because I'm sure there will be more uneducated people. And I feel like one question that comes up a lot is something to the extent of "why are the muzlams/those brown people so violent", which as I pointed out on my blog is to do with some mixture of political, socio-economic, and/or pathological conditions, and not the inherent violence of one group of people. And I feel like this is a question that is going to keep coming up and so having one comprehensive thread on it would be really helpful. Or maybe that's just the lack of sleep talking, I don't know.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #7 - August 05, 2015, 02:43 AM

I dunno. It seems that the people walking into theatres and randomly killing people are all described as white. Most of the death by cop I hear about are by white cops. There is a huge domestic violence issue in America, much of which is white. and lately most of the disabled kids murdered or attempted to be murdered by parents in America have been white. 
    To me, anyone caucasian is white. So that's a big population, and can't hold up to any claims about being less violent than any other.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #8 - August 05, 2015, 04:49 AM

Yeah but the thing is when a white American man commits a crime, it's labeled a "lone wolf attack" or a "troubled man" or an "issue hijacked by the anti-gun lobby to make people think there's more crime than there is" or something to that effect, and the issue of the man's motives never really gets dealt with. Whereas when a person of color or religious minority commits a crime, it's invariably linked to how dangerous "those people" are. Add to that the appalling science education in this country + popularity of weird bronze-age myths about where people come from, and this creates an entire culture worth of people who don't know shit about the world.

Reply #9 - August 05, 2015, 05:56 AM

I'm with you gal.

However, we'd possibly end up all agreeing on everything, and the thread may then fizzle out fairly quickly. Unfortunately, it does help to have someone with a slightly different view from ours to play devil's advocate. That arouses passion, and counter-argument, and then even some of the brilliance that was shown by HM and Three on that infamous but fundamentally racist thread.

I suppose the Prophet was merely trolling though. And perhaps someone like him doesn't deserve a platform on this wonderful forum. Either way, he has now been consigned to Hell... who am I to argue with God's judgement on that?

Hi
     Reply #10 - August 05, 2015, 11:11 AM

Yeah but the thing is when a white American man commits a crime, it's labeled a "lone wolf attack" or a "troubled man" or an "issue hijacked by the anti-gun lobby to make people think there's more crime than there is" or something to that effect, and the issue of the man's motives never really gets dealt with. Whereas when a person of color or religious minority commits a crime, it's invariably linked to how dangerous "those people" are. Add to that the appalling science education in this country + popularity of weird bronze-age myths about where people come from, and this creates an entire culture worth of people who don't know shit about the world.

You would think after years of bullshit, more people would listen less to the "news" and put two and two together for themselves. Those "lone wolves" seem to be hard and fast, lately. 

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #11 - August 05, 2015, 11:29 AM

Yeah but the thing is when a white American man commits a crime, it's labeled a "lone wolf attack" or a "troubled man" or an "issue hijacked by the anti-gun lobby to make people think there's more crime than there is" or something to that effect, and the issue of the man's motives never really gets dealt with. Whereas when a person of color or religious minority commits a crime, it's invariably linked to how dangerous "those people" are.

with all that said and done., you Americans elected a mixed race guy as your president., that says lot about the people of the country...  And I agree with you that America problems are with education that you  highlighted below..
    Add to that the appalling science education in this country + popularity of weird bronze-age myths about where people come from, and this creates an entire culture worth of people who don't know shit about the world.

and I wonder whether you could give the reason for that appalling science education in your country  that too being very rich in resources?

Reply #12 - August 05, 2015, 08:06 PM

with all that said and done., you Americans elected a mixed race guy as your president., that says lot about the people of the country...  And I agree with you that America problems are with education that you  highlighted below.. and I wonder whether you could give the reason for that appalling science education in your country  that too being very rich in resources?

It's not like the whole country voted for him.

This is a map of 2008 presidential election results. Blue is the states that he did win, red are the states that he didn't.

This is the same thing, but for 2012:

If you notice, the maps are pretty friggin similar. The states that seceded from the union or that are still mostly agricultural instead of urban tend to be states that vote republican, and people of color and different religions are not welcomed there. But the people in the north and in urban areas tend to be more open-minded and accepting of others. This divide also explains a lot of the prioritization of things other than "book learnin'" in those states: they tend to be people who live a comparatively simple life, many without reliable jobs except seasonal/agricultural labor. They largely value what they consider important to life experience and hard work over something like improving the world or increasing earning potential via education. Not saying this is universally true. But it does explain a lot of trends in both voting choices and salaries and amount of money channeled into schools.

Reply #13 - August 06, 2015, 02:18 AM

For the record, I was after preservation of that post in particular, and the argument against racism in general. Cheetah kind of obliged  Afro

There were some interesting responses, some of them even good, but was it fundamentally wrong to move it? No. Why would it be? You could always start a thread on race and/or racism.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #14 - August 06, 2015, 08:12 AM

I chose to put the words 'fundamentally wrong' in the thread title in order to mirror the thread title that the Prophet chose in his racist thread. I did this because I was trying to be clever. Looking back now, it can't have been too clever if it lost someone as bright as you Quid Pro Quo.

Hi
     Reply #15 - August 06, 2015, 08:23 AM

No I got it, I just thought you were also serious since you started a thread about it. One can be both serious and tongue in cheek. I believe some call it wit. Grin

Reply #16 - August 06, 2015, 08:32 AM

Or it is blamed on their sub-culture or urban culture. All while ignoring that the emergence of this/these cultures are products of oppression aimed at destroying what little culture remained for their property, slaves, and segregation to prevent it's reemergence and also assimilation into the current culture . America has done a fine job teaching non-western Europeans that they can act like Europeans but will never be true members of European cultures and it's offshoots. It is very easy to blame one's environment for their actions but most never look at how this environment emerged.  whistling2
     Reply #17 - August 06, 2015, 08:47 AM

No I got it, I just thought you were also serious since you started a thread about it. One can be both serious and tongue in cheek. I believe some call it wit. Grin

I'm not sure where I stand on it to be honest. Should we stifle and hide alternative view points from our own, regardless of how uncomfortable they may get? Perhaps we should? Either way, I'm glad such decisions are in the hands of cleverer people.

Main thing was that it would have been a loss to lose the thread in it's entirety. At least HM's post has been rescued from the debris.

Hi
     Reply #18 - August 06, 2015, 10:31 AM

I'm with you gal.

However, we'd possibly end up all agreeing on everything, and the thread may then fizzle out fairly quickly. Unfortunately, it does help to have someone with a slightly different view from ours to play devil's advocate. That arouses passion, and counter-argument, and then even some of the brilliance that was shown by HM and Three on that infamous but fundamentally racist thread.

I suppose the Prophet was merely trolling though. And perhaps someone like him doesn't deserve a platform on this wonderful forum. Either way, he has now been consigned to Hell... who am I to argue with God's judgement on that?

Musivore, I too wanted to read that thread again. I relish the rare opportunity to read or listen to an educated or intelligent sounding racist. When I get round to it, I want read David Irving on the Holocaust — and indeed Hitler’s own book. This place would be diminished if it were to become an echo chamber where everyone agrees with everyone on most things most of the time. I think a little bit of variety, a little bit of dissonance would be the desideratum. Keeping this in mind, I really wish if CallMe Ted wasn’t hounded by loads of members in the manner they did — I agree, he’s stirred up a hornet’s nest by assuming Ex Muslims weren’t intellectuals, but then I too had thought that and said so to you, Musivore, not very long ago; sometimes we all can be very arrogant and condescending without noticing it, and more importantly, without meaning to. If his last reply (#104) is anything to go by, CallMe Ted has now been blown from the forum after having been blown by it. I wondered how different this ganging up was from what bullying Muslims do when they outnumber you with their possibly halitosis rich Takbeeeer!

I don’t understand a lot about how this forum is run nor am I interested in such a thing but it always strikes me as odd when internet forums and participative websites say that views published on their platforms are not their views but that of the individuals saying them unless these views are said by our editors and mods. Yet they seem to restrict the posting of repugnant if not personal views expressed by others on their platforms all too quickly, killing off in the process the fine tradition of jesters, village idiots and outcasts. In the thread concerned, what David was thinking loud about from his gardener perspective also seemed to have the capacity to ruffle feathers. I find CERTAINTY in most matters suspicious and most of what we do here when we post topics is to think in the presence of reasonable others, with the chance of having our thinking examined, challenged as well as confirmed. Yet, very few make this I’m-only-thinking-not-sharing-my-convictions explicit in the manner or the language we use when posting. I put my hand up: unless I specifically state the contrary, I’m always thinking, always being something I probably couldn’t in real life because of social constraints and the often choking cloak of conventionalised conformity.

Recently, Sir Tim Hunt - a UCL scientist and Nobel Prize winner – made a stupid and sexist joke which cost him his position at UCL as he was made to resign; I really don’t see the link between his stupid sexism and scientific brilliance. Instead of acknowledging that ignoble side of our thinking, this way of institutions ironing out individuals’ stupidities only fosters the growth of lots of politically correct fakers, nodding their assent during work hours and in public only. Why was the Rosetta scientist Dr Matt Taylor -- who wore a T shirt with women wearing PVC and firing guns – crying his apology?

A mentor of mine, who used to write articles to the online Guardian, wrote an article in defence of President Jacob Zuma during one of his visit to the UK; wrote the article on having more than one wife, and how that should be put in the context of his south African culture; that it wasn’t for us in the West to universalise one-for-one formalised love, casting whomever went out to the devil. So what happened? He got his article thrown in his face and they stopped publishing three subsequent and unrelated articles as well.

P.S. bear in mind I'm only thinking.
     Reply #19 - August 06, 2015, 11:17 AM

There are two things to keep in mind. The first being that this is a privately owned forum that has certain rules. The owners set the rules and we agree to abide by them when we register. The second thing is that this forum itself has a specific purpose. It is primarily a safe place for people, specifically aimed at ex-muslims. Many who register on this forum are racial minorities who are in a vulnerable state and threads that have posters happily talking paki this and nigger that, or sexual minorities that see faggot here, sodomite there, quite frankly goes against the very safe environment CEMB was primarily created to be and still is. It's counter productive and while I would hope everyone here values free expression and differing views, the staff have to keep in mind that first and foremost this place was created to be a sanctuary. It's a balance, sometimes easy, sometimes not, but the idea of a safe place for often vulnerable members will always come first. happymurtad acted in his role as a moderator with his best judgement, I'm sure very concious of what I've just typed.

Reply #20 - August 06, 2015, 12:22 PM

I agree with Whabbist about Ted, i'm usually the one ranting away and protecting newbies yet even i forgot and made a few jokes at his expense. 

With regards to the racist thread, yes i think it probably could have been saved.  Perhaps, (if cemb hasn't got one already) this board could have an x rated, private sub forum  locked away from the general public view, that allows controversiol discussions. Just a thought, probably not a good one. the prophets comments were too racist to keep anyway imo.
     Reply #21 - August 06, 2015, 01:04 PM

Musivore, I too wanted to read that thread again. I relish the rare opportunity to read or listen to an educated or intelligent sounding racist. When I get round to it, I want read David Irving on the Holocaust — and indeed Hitler’s own book. This place would be diminished if it were to become an echo chamber where everyone agrees with everyone on most things most of the time. I think a little bit of variety, a little bit of dissonance would be the desideratum. Keeping this in mind, I really wish if CallMe Ted wasn’t hounded by loads of members in the manner they did — I agree, he’s stirred up a hornet’s nest by assuming Ex Muslims weren’t intellectuals, but then I too had thought that and said so to you, Musivore, not very long ago; sometimes we all can be very arrogant and condescending without noticing it, and more importantly, without meaning to. If his last reply (#104) is anything to go by, CallMe Ted has now been blown from the forum after having been blown by it. I wondered how different this ganging up was from what bullying Muslims do when they outnumber you with their possibly halitosis rich Takbeeeer!

I don’t understand a lot about how this forum is run nor am I interested in such a thing but it always strikes me as odd when internet forums and participative websites say that views published on their platforms are not their views but that of the individuals saying them unless these views are said by our editors and mods. Yet they seem to restrict the posting of repugnant if not personal views expressed by others on their platforms all too quickly, killing off in the process the fine tradition of jesters, village idiots and outcasts. In the thread concerned, what David was thinking loud about from his gardener perspective also seemed to have the capacity to ruffle feathers. I find CERTAINTY in most matters suspicious and most of what we do here when we post topics is to think in the presence of reasonable others, with the chance of having our thinking examined, challenged as well as confirmed. Yet, very few make this I’m-only-thinking-not-sharing-my-convictions explicit in the manner or the language we use when posting. I put my hand up: unless I specifically state the contrary, I’m always thinking, always being something I probably couldn’t in real life because of social constraints and the often choking cloak of conventionalised conformity.

Recently, Sir Tim Hunt - a UCL scientist and Nobel Prize winner – made a stupid and sexist joke which cost him his position at UCL as he was made to resign; I really don’t see the link between his stupid sexism and scientific brilliance. Instead of acknowledging that ignoble side of our thinking, this way of institutions ironing out individuals’ stupidities only fosters the growth of lots of politically correct fakers, nodding their assent during work hours and in public only. Why was the Rosetta scientist Dr Matt Taylor -- who wore a T shirt with women wearing PVC and firing guns – crying his apology?

A mentor of mine, who used to write articles to the online Guardian, wrote an article in defence of President Jacob Zuma during one of his visit to the UK; wrote the article on having more than one wife, and how that should be put in the context of his south African culture; that it wasn’t for us in the West to universalise one-for-one formalised love, casting whomever went out to the devil. So what happened? He got his article thrown in his face and they stopped publishing three subsequent and unrelated articles as well.

P.S. bear in mind I'm only thinking.

I'll reply properly later. But I'd like to say quickly:
    1. Great post, as always
    2. Now you've pointed it out, I feel a little guilty for taking the piss out of Ted. I guess we are all at least halfway to believing he is a troll, and that influences our behaviour towards him. But you're right.

Hi
     Reply #22 - August 06, 2015, 01:06 PM

There are two things to keep in mind. The first being that this is a privately owned forum that has certain rules. The owners set the rules and we agree to abide by them when we register. The second thing is that this forum itself has a specific purpose. It is primarily a safe place for people, specifically aimed at ex-muslims. Many who register on this forum are racial minorities who are in a vulnerable state and threads that have posters happily talking paki this and nigger that, or sexual minorities that see faggot here, sodomite there, quite frankly goes against the very safe environment CEMB was primarily created to be and still is. It's counter productive and while I would hope everyone here values free expression and differing views, the staff have to keep in mind that first and foremost this place was created to be a sanctuary. It's a balance, sometimes easy, sometimes not, but the idea of a safe place for often vulnerable members will always come first. happymurtad acted in his role as a moderator with his best judgement, I'm sure very concious of what I've just typed.

Great post.You're mod material. Or are you too counter-culture for that?

Hi
     Reply #23 - August 06, 2015, 01:07 PM

I agree with Whabbist about Ted, i'm usually the one ranting away and protecting newbies yet even i forgot and made a few jokes at his expense. 

With regards to the racist thread, yes i think it probably could have been saved.  Perhaps, (if cemb hasn't got one already) this board could have an x rated, private sub forum  locked away from the general public view, that allows controversiol discussions. Just a thought, probably not a good one. the prophets comments were too racist to keep anyway imo.

I agree with you Suki

Hi
     Reply #24 - August 06, 2015, 01:11 PM

why don't you guys go and read it.. http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=29099.0   even write in to it..

See  my first few responses to that  fool ..

I am of the opinion unless a fellow crosses the line ( some times it is thin)
    such as harassing a member or threatening a member ..or or leaking member hidden identity  

there is no need to ban., Forum members can actually have a bit of fun with such bums. I think educating such fools is more important than banning them.  One can restrict him to some folders but banning a fellow will not help the cause., in fact it may make a fellow act much worse in REAL LIFE...  that FFI forum used to ban many many Muslim guys .. I used to oppose them even question them  and even became a moderator of it  for a short period.. Then they banned me... .. Then  some of the members requested me.. begged to write in to it...........  but ......
    ..................................  but life moves on.. life goes on...

Reply #25 - August 06, 2015, 01:11 PM

I agree with Wahabbist  yes
     Reply #26 - August 06, 2015, 01:58 PM

As I was mentioned by (user) name several times above, I think I should chime in here. Speaking personally, I too value the wide spectrum of ideas and opinions expressed here on the forum. Healthy discourse is, to me, generally a good thing. I don’t have a particularly weak stomach; my vomit reflexes have been known to withstand exposure to some pretty repugnant points of view. Most times, the little popcorn emoticon best represents my own response to heated and passionate discussions, even as I am rooting for the side that I agree with to ultimately prevail. I am personally, as a rule, anti-censorship and pro-freedom of expression.

And this is where things get tricky. I am also not a fan of hierarchy. The fancy little blue stars below the moderators’ names notwithstanding, we really and truly are just members of this community. We do not “own” it in any sense, save for those people who have legal claim to the registration of the website. We come here for the same reasons that other ex-Muslims do. We value this space. We need this space.

Our responsibility as moderators, then, is to keep this forum up and running in order to achieve its primary purpose as a safe place for ex-Muslims to gather and express themselves. It is in that spirit that the moderator team collaborates and makes decisions regarding the operation of the forum. We are not “The Man.” We are not paid. This shit does not go on our resumes. The rules that we use to base our decisions are on the front page for everyone to see. We bounce ideas off of one another before reaching a decision, and it is my hope that there is a sense of trust amongst the forum members of our good intentions, balanced by a sense of trust in our complete fallibility as regular humans.

These are the Forum Rules. Each one exists in order to achieve the aim of preserving the sanctuary that is this forum. Never will this forum become a hosting spot for calls to genocide. Never will speech defending rape or blaming rape victims be tolerated. Racists and bigots who try to use this place as a platform to spew their hateful poison will have their threads condemned every single time. Not because we disagree with them, but because those words can and do cause real harm to real people, both online and in the real world.

Still, it is not a matter of خذوه فغلوه, as the Qur’an says, or “seize him and shackle him!” every time someone breaks a forum rule. The racist TheProphet15 has not been banned, even as he was confronted and warned. This Ted guy is totally free to post, and so long as he does not break any of the forum rules, he will not be banned either. Sure, he’ll probably get laughed at and have his ideas ridiculed whenever he says something silly, but that is just one of those things he’ll have to deal with, I’m afraid. We’re all just people and we’ll all continue to hold each other to account through exchange and feedback.
     Reply #27 - August 06, 2015, 03:53 PM

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.

Hi
     Reply #28 - August 06, 2015, 06:31 PM

Great post.You're mod material. Or are you too counter-culture for that?

I'm only counter-culture when I'm not in charge. Give me power and I will rule with an iron fist.

Reply #29 - August 06, 2015, 06:44 PM

You make me laugh Quod. You really do. And there is no sarcasm or scorn in that statement. There really isn't.

Hi
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »