Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: "Coming Out" Stories & Ideas

(Read 13544 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • "Coming Out" Stories & Ideas
     OP - July 01, 2015, 07:35 PM

Hey all! I thought that a key part of this forum is to discuss, grow, understand, but to also help one another who may be in need, in terms of not being able to "come out". Though, having mentioned this, there are some amongst us who *do* wish to come out, or have already done so. Whichever category you fit into, it would definitely be worth placing your tales of how you went about it, what reactions, unique ideas, etc. in this forum! The brilliant, the downright silly, anything! That way it's all in one place, rather than scattered and hopefully someone somewhere may well benefit.

Thank you for your bravery in advance!

Please help me in archiving the stories by using the "Quote" feature and adding it in here. Many thanks in advance. Smiley

One only acquires wisdom when one sets the heart and mind open to new ideas.

Chat: http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#ex-muslims
     Reply #1 - July 01, 2015, 07:36 PM

Reply #2 - July 01, 2015, 07:37 PM

This would be my first post. I don’t know whether to post it in the introduction or here. I’ll just post here since it is story. I came across this forum and lurked around during my journey out of Islam. Well I am not totally out yet from where I am in life now. Like my forum name I am just a “Closet apostate”. Or I can even call myself a Chameleon as outwardly I don’t look like I left. Nobody really knew in real life what had gone through my mind as well as the massive discomfort I have in this.  I am hiding it in myself now I do have someone which I told this before but it is a rather lonely journey.
    Pardon me if my writing I would go back and forth and get long winded. And also if it is all over the place.  I am typing this to get it out my mind.  I don’t suddenly leave Islam like that or have massive doubt in one day. It is a gradual process that builds up over time.  It was last year that I began to think Islam is not as divine or “true”. I think it started even way earlier but I don’t see it as “doubt’
    It all began when I was surfing youtube, I had thought of being a vegan to reduce killing of animal. I stumbled into this channel called vegan atheist. For the first time ever I started to watch religious debates, as a Muslim I avoided such things so my faith would not be shaking thinking it is some whispering from shaytan and I also I believe so strongly in it. So strange that suddenly I was looking into religious stuff. I only watch the stuff about arguments and how absurd Christianity is. The first video I watch was called “context” by nonstampcollector. It was about if you someone quote a violent and questionable bible verses it said to be “out of context”. I realized this is the same excuse used by Muslim to defend verses in the Quran. I don’t even know such verses exist in the Quran or I just shut it out of my brain. The more I watch it made sense. I then used was I learn there and tested it against Islam, I realized I am poking more and more holes into my belief system. I was really really broken by the day when that happen.  Islam and praying was my “comfort” in pain and sadness. Ever since I was young I stuttered in my speech and “simple” social situation would make me uncomfortable and panicky as I have to deal with this. On top having a speech problem,  I am also very anxious and get sad when things don’t turn out the way it. Its uncomfortable and painful as my coping mechanism is becoming my poison.

I was never a fan of religious teacher taught to me when I was in secondary school. I just felt like those teachers put too much fear of Allah and no love at all. I do have hate for teacher not being kind to me in plight suffering anxiety even though their teachers who are supposed to be teaching holy scriptures and the “Islamic” way which I assume at that time to be all good. I was in deep depression secondary school during my final years. I almost quited that year not taking the GCSE O-levls and spend time skipping school. I got to be drag to school by my parent so I can go to school. During that time I asked myself “why is Allah testing me like this”? It is a test is commonly used by my parents or religious teachers. I was already asking myself why do go through this in this world when there is afterlife? It was hell to me. During that time my dad found a doctor to bring me too. That doctor introduced to me about the concept of “love” and unconditional love which is so different from what is taught in religious school about fear Allah and punishment from Allah. Allah is always looking. I prefer this so much versus the old conventional Islamic way of fear.  I quitted the madrasah(religious school) due to depression. I could not quit my secondary school though but I managed to take the GCSE O level. I thank Allah for all that I had been through and always prayed everyday. I don’t look at Islam stuff after that the conventional one that is. I got the thought that Allah is love and people are misinterpreting it. I was practicing Islam in my own way I had no idea that I am practicing a form of Islamic deism. Deism is a new word after I started getting doubts about Islam.

I got into college and life just goes with me having my struggle with stuttering ,anxiety and depression I still prayed 5 times a day. I still do pray now as I am now typing this. I don’t pray because I believe, I pray just because I simply to used to it and also I am living in an Islamic household with my mom and dad. I highly doubt they would even be remotely shaken in their belief. I recall about my dad reading up about a country nearby me wanting to implement stoning for gay and adulterers. I told him that is wrong, stoning is disgusting whatever the context is. There are way better way to execute someone than stoning. Also how can a merciful loving god thought of such a barbaric punishment. He just said that this is Allah law and it should follow, if it is not punish in this world in would be in the hereafter. I was shaking my head hearing that. I was also really so broken because I am standing in front of him in full blown apostasy yet he don’t know it. The very law of God he accepted would get me killed in that Islamic country.

It is difficult to keep this as it is worsening my anxiety. My mom and dad don’t know about it though.
    I am still in the process now. I have big doubts about Islam but I can’t just walk now I could barely support myself financially yet with those struggles. Yet at the same time my doubts about Islam is giving me push to make myself independent. Which right now does not seem so well yet though.  This story is still ongoing. I am doing what I can step by step. I'll update when things come to mind. Sorry if it is not coherent now.

Reply #3 - July 01, 2015, 07:38 PM

Here is a translation on the article that was printed today in the Danish newspaper Information about my story as an apostate. Thanks to PhysMath who helped me with the translation, and I hope you guys like the article, it has already gone viral in Denmark.
    http://www.information.dk/525822

I shall always be ready with a lie

25-year-old Haifa is living a dual life. One as a Muslim and another as an atheist. She no longer believes in God, but she dare not renounce her beliefs openly in Islam. Therefore, she lives a double life, where she is lying about where she is and who she's with. I hope that one day it stops being a taboo to leave Islam. She relays her story here.

(Clicky for piccy!)

Dual Life. “I am condemned to this double life. I do not believe in any religion, but cannot say it to my family. When I'm alone, I confess myself to atheism, yet it will always be expected that I outwardly behave as a good Muslim. I can live without God, but I cannot live without my family”, says Haifa.

I was born in Denmark, yet neither went to nursery nor kindergarten. So I started in elementary school without knowing a word of Danish. My classmates were all immigrants –maybe there were one or two Danes in the group. When I later switched to an Islamic Private School, I had only Arab classmates and most of the teachers were Muslims. Twice a week I had Qur’anic classes in the local mosque, where I had to memorise the Qur’an. Every time I learned a new verse, my parents would reward me with a gift. In the Private School teachers said that it was imposed on them to teach us about evolution and the Big Bang, but we should remember that it was only a theory, and that obviously God had created the earth. I remember that I went home from school and (excitedly) told my mother everything I had learned about the beginning of the world and of man, who was in fact a developed ape. She was furious. "We do not believe in this!" she said and made me promise that I would never mention Darwin and monkeys again. I did not, but I then began (out of intrigue and curiosity) to pour into books that dealt with science.

The scarf
    Both my parents are extremely conservative and religious. They come from a small town that is heavily Sunni and moved because of my father's political engagement. The fact that they practice their religion here in Denmark has maintained their connection to the Middle East. The more they dedicate their lives to the faith, the closer they feel to their home country, they say. They assess themselves as parents by looking at how good a Muslim I have become. A good Muslim does not believe in evolution and does not question his/her faith. A good Muslim dedicates his/her life for Islam, a concept of honour which the Danes could never understand. I felt distant from everything that I came from when I started to believe in science and asked questions to the Qur’an: Did the semen truly originate from (in between) the spine (and ribcage)? Why is a man's testimony worth twice as much as a woman’s? Why shouldn’t women participate at funerals, and why does the Qur’an allow men to keep slaves?
    All the girls in the class started wearing the scarf when they were 12-13 years. I waited until I was 14. I did not want to wear a headscarf, but thought I would have more in common with the girls in the class if I did. Everyone was so proud of me and said I looked so beautiful covered. I also stopped wearing tight pants to school. Outwardly I looked like someone who was confident in faith, but inside doubts were building. I told a friend about all the things that Islam did not explain, and she gave me a book on the scientific miracles in the Qur’an. It's a book you tend to give to doubters. I needed to believe what was written in it, since apostate Muslims are not worth anything where I reside. The fear of hell was sown in me from the time I was quite small – the destination of the renegade – and every time I was wondering about something, it was considered the whisper of Satan in my head. When I left home and started an education that was in another city, the doubt had room to mature. I re-read the Qur’an with a critical insight and for the first time in my life I stopped identifying myself as a Muslim.

The secret boyfriend

Rumours spread quickly. People I've never heard of called my dad and asked why he let me leave home without a husband, and why he allowed the removal of the scarf. He had real difficult with the latter. He took a vow of silence for several weeks, but I defended my decision to remove the scarf, saying that nowhere in the Qur’an does it say that women must wear headscarves. I said that I still believed in God, but the reality was that I had started a long and lonely process. Leaving Islam was a totally new concept for me. No one I knew had done it before me. I no longer believed in God.
    I got a boyfriend who moved in with me, but it was very secret, and no one knew anything of it. He had a Muslim background like me and did not believe in God anymore. We started life as atheists. We ate bacon to prove that we were no longer Muslims, and I drank alcohol and acquired gay friends. My boyfriend's family were not as faithful as mine, so he chose to tell them that he is an atheist, whilst I continued to live a dual life. In many ways he was a huge support to me, even though we did not go through the same experiences. I will never be able to tell my parents that I have left Islam while he could be open about his atheism. I was very careful of my Facebook activity and how I presented myself on it, since all my family are my 'friends' on it and keeping an eye on what I'm doing. My family never makes unannounced visits, but if one day they do, I know that I have two minutes from the ring the doorbell to clear the inside my apartment of that which they should not see, and send people they should not meet out on the balcony. I am always on the alert, yet a day came where it all went wrong…

I never lend my computer out and am usually very careful to erase my digital tracks. But one day, when an old friend was visiting, and she wanted to show me something on the Internet, we started the computer up and an English article on Muslim apostates appeared I had not closed prior to sleeping the computer. I closed the page down and said that I had not read the story, but just clicked on it, because it was in my Facebook feed. She said nothing, but subsequently went to my parents and asked if I had left Islam. They dismissed it as pure nonsense. Why would their daughter be ex-muslim? Why would anyone leave Islam? In the local environment rumours continued to swirl, and the men demanded that my father take ‘action’. This could either mean that he must personally beat me or move me to somewhere else where I could face such punitive measures. I have seen my father being violent and know what he is capable of. So I said that the rumours were false, and that I was still a good Muslim. My father breathed a sigh of relief. Someone was obviously envious of his skillful, clever daughter, he said.

Life is greater outside of Islam

Last year I was hospitalized with anxiety and depression. I could not take having to live two different lives and got a panic attack. My family were out travelling, so they did not know that I had been admitted to a psychiatric ward for several months. I wanted someone to sit and hold my hand and say that I was a good person. Twice I tried to take my own life with pills. I know it's a stupid way to die, and I also know it may not have been successful but just resulted in a damaged liver. But for me it was a way to get leave the shackles of my mind. When I was hospitalised I only had to lie in bed and focus on getting better. It was simple. Outside it was complicated – I had become a minority of the minority. An immigrant without religion.
    In Denmark, there is no forum for ex-muslims, so I spend a lot of time on a British online community for people who have left Islam. Recently I discovered another Dane in there, who wrote that he had had enough of life. In a private message, I wrote that he should call me, and he did. We met a few days later. He told me that he used to be affiliated with a Muslim congregation in London – eat, sleep and live life under the same roof. Until recently, he was deeply religious, had a long beard, did not listen to music nor talk with girls. Like me, he stopped reading the verses of the Qur’an which he found it hard to believe. Today, he lives in Denmark and no longer see his family. They will not see him and think their son is going to burn in hell. He has repeatedly considered to say that he has become religious again, so he may be allowed to see them once more. Had we known each other a little before, it might not have been so difficult for him. We could have proven to each other that there is more to life than Islam. Letting go of the foundation of one's whole life is an extreme feeling and hard to describe to those not experienced it, and I still, when I am alone, think to myself: Have I made the right decision?

A hard life

I am stuck with this dual life. I do not believe in any religion, but cannot say it to my family. When I'm alone, I submit to my atheistic beliefs, but it will always be expected that I outwardly act as a good Muslim. I can live without God, but I cannot live without my family, and although I do not believe in the Qur'an, I recognize the importance of honour for my parents. I will not be able to convince them that without Islam I can still be a good person and a good daughter. If I came out (with my current beliefs), people would be ashamed to know my family. They would (once more) put pressure on my father; the mosque, family and neighbours, and if my father did not react (as they wish for him to do so), it would be up to the others to 'act'. Such is their mindset. In their world you have to set an example to show others that what I’ve done is not okay.

I dream often about moving far away. This life is too hard. It's hard to be the odd one out, but more people choose to deny their faith, it may be that in the future there will no longer be a danger in breaking up with Islam. Until then, I always look over my shoulder and lie about everything. Where I am, what I'm doing and who I'm with. My father tried to call me the last two days, but I have not picked up the phone. I have not had a good lie ready.

Haifa is an invented name. Her real name is known by the editors

Reply #4 - July 01, 2015, 07:39 PM

Reply #5 - July 01, 2015, 07:41 PM

hello, forgive me if i have contacted this site before, but he following is a story i wrote about why i joined and then left islam. i would really appreciate if you could feature it on your site because i want others to know the truth of this horrifying (religion) political ideology disguised as a religion. please publish it under the pen name "writetofreedom." thanks so much for all the work you do! we need to protect our freedom here in the west! WHY I LEFT ISLAM: My reversion to Islam began with a fascination for Islamic dress. However, before I go into that, I will give a little bit of background about me. I was born into a Christian Mennonite family who I love very much. My family was very loving and generous and while I admire the Mennonites for being a very simple and hard-working people I just cannot bring myself to agree with the religious aspect especially when it comes to their less than flattering views on women. In my opinion, all religion is just a pathetic excuse to oppress and control women and even if it was changed to suit the modern day in regards to the full equality and citizenship of women, I still wouldn’t buy into religion because the very fact that it can be changed is just further proof that it is made up by humankind in the first place and based on virtually nothing concrete. However, I was very much into Christianity until reading a small, green book about Atheism at age 21 that I was fortunate enough to stumble upon at an eclectic, uptown boutique. At the time, I didn't even know there was such a thing as having no religion but the book just made so much sense to me. So anyway, I became super interested in Islam because I thought that the headscarf and long skirts that Muslim women wore were very beautiful so I looked deeper into the religion and even went to Mosques and talked to other Muslims and Imams. I studied Islam in depth for about five months before converting. I was very active on Facebook in chatting with other Muslims and learning as much as I could about the faith. I was told things like "Islam liberates women" and that it is the most peaceful and tolerant religion. I was told quite a few other inaccurate things about Islam that at the time, I didn’t question. I was told to “be careful” what I read about Islam and to not read books written by non-Muslims (biased much?) because it might not be accurate or may not portray the “true Islam” and therefore, may confuse me as someone new to the faith. All of the books I was given to read about Islam painted it in a very positive light. Now I realize that I was told to be careful about what I read about Islam on my own and given these one sided books about Islam in order to protect the faith from criticism and not me from confusion because just recently (nearly two years after my conversion experience) I did read a few books that didn’t portray Islam in such a positive light (which I will get to later in this article) and the book not only cleared up my confusion, it probably SAVED! me from it! Another thing I was told was not to believe everything I hear about Islam in the media especially when it comes to violent groups of Muslims. However, while I do not believe everything I hear and see in the media, I wonder what made those particular stories about Muslim groups engaging in violence for the sake of Allah so appealing to be publicized in the first place. I don’t believe that the media is always truthful or that all Muslims are violent terrorists, but I also think that the fact that the ones that are violent keep on making the news to begin with is a fact not to be taken lightly especially because religion has historically and still now today been used to justify the most horrifying and unthinkable violence in the name of some distant deity in the sky. In the course of my journey, I was also told that Muslims aren’t perfect but Islam is. For a long time I tried to make sense of that but then I realized that that statement really made no sense because how could God expect imperfect human beings to follow a perfect religion? If you ask me, that is just a recipe for failure. I also learned that Muslim women are not allowed to work out in front of men in order to “protect” themselves from being gawked at even though they are already covered from head to toe. This bit of information prevented me from losing 50 lbs until the year after that I desperately needed to lose because of being slightly overweight. I finally realized that if Islam truly sought to protect women from the stares of men while she is working out, it would not bar her from the gym just because men are present nor would it expect her to cover herself from head to toe during an extremely intense and sweaty work out. What the religion would do instead is make the penalties within it harsher for men (rather than rewarding them for this shameful behaviour by giving them the whole fitness facility to themselves without the inconvenience of a distracting woman) who are immature enough to violate women’s bodies by staring and even coming on to them just because they are moving their bodies in a way that the men in question might find enticing. Hell, this goes both ways-I am sure women find men’s bodies just as enticing when they are moving in a certain way that in all actuality has nothing to do with sex at all. So why the double standard if the religion claims to protect women? In all truthfulness, many women suffer by losing their basic rights such as the right to basic health (in this case) under the guise of the Islamic obsession with modesty as if that is more important than individual autonomy and choice. What if someone doesn’t care about being modest?! The notion of modesty within the Islamic context sounds more to me like a clever ploy to make sure women are not able to be full members of society by controlling what they can and cannot do in front of the opposite sex. The belief that women are not allowed to work out in front of men does not protect them as the religion claims; all it truly does is prohibit women from choosing which facility they would like to work out in based on what that facility has to offer while also preventing women from being physically healthy and therefore, having a sense of mental well-being while also providing yet another excuse for women to stay at home and not be seen in public since the home would be the only suitable place for her to work out in within the stifling constraints of Islam. Not to mention that this idea portrays the inaccurate message that women and men cannot workout in the same facility as equals without having sex on the brain. It is the RELIGION that has sex on the brain and not the individual themselves especially because Islam is super obsessed with gender segregation rather than teaching the two genders to mingle but still respect each other as human beings despite their differences whether one has a vagina or a penis. Islam really has to get over the unprecedented fear it has of the female body and move on. We are women, we have breasts and big hips, we menstruate and have the ability to bring forth new life into the world after nine months of carrying it, and we do all this while going about our daily lives which includes hitting the gym; deal with it Islam. Then there were a few questionable experiences I had with the Muslim community. Don’t get me wrong. I met a lot of incredibly nice people who happened to be Muslim and I am not here to say that all Muslims think the same way or have the same mentality as their fellow Muslim might have. I am just simply writing about the less than satisfying experiences I had in some aspects because I think that it is important to bring these issues to light. One questionable experience I had was when I asked a fellow Muslim sister who I already thought was a little off her rocker, why God would allow so much suffering in Syria and Somalia and other places ravaged by war and political unrest. She said that it is because God is punishing those people. I immediately lost what little respect I had for her. Muslims tirelessly claim that their God is merciful so why would He punish innocent children, innocent mothers, innocent families for political unrest and senseless violence that is totally beyond their control? More importantly, why wouldn’t this alleged merciful God put a stop to all suffering in the world in the first place? That doesn’t sound very merciful to me-it sounds psychotic and tyrannical and leads me to conclude that God is either a sadistic sociopath and immensely enjoys our suffering or more accurately, that He doesn’t exist. In another situation, I even asked a Muslim on Facebook if God might not be so merciful after all. She told me to be careful what I say because God is in fact merciful. If that is the case, then why should I have to be careful about what I say?! It is compelling to note that there are many verses in the Koran that state horrible punishments and hell that await the non-believers (Sura 2:39, 8:36-37, 9:49, 9:63, 9:73 17:10, 18:100, 98:6) rather than mercy and love for all no matter what belief system one chooses to follow. How can God send people to hell for simply not believing in one ideology if He is said to be so merciful? I am also quite curious to know why people have to even bother repenting their sins in the first place (Sura 7:153, 11:90, 17:8 [refers to disbelievers in hell and repentance]), if Allah is supposed to be so merciful? On another occasion, I was at the house of a family with three kids. The oldest daughter who was only 11 at the time was telling her mom how afraid she was of hell and she was even crying. Rather than comfort her, her mother began to tell her how terrible hell was and how the girl had to pray five times a day or else terrible things would happen to her (no compulsion in religion my ass [Sura 2:256]). Then the mother went into detail about what would happen to her daughter in hell though I forget what exactly she said and the poor girl was becoming more and more upset. I really wish I had said something such as “there is no hell” or “stop mentally abusing your child” but for much of my conversion experience, it was like I was trapped in some bizarre, not to mention terrifying, Islamic brainwashing trance (I wonder if other Muslims are caught in this trance also and either don’t realize it or refuse to admit it?) At the time, I was also too terrified of hell myself to speak up for that poor girl due to graphic depictions of liquid pus being poured down one’s throat (Sura 14:16) and other horrible afflictions that happen to one in hell-more proof that the Muslim God is in fact, not merciful after all or more likely, non-existent. On a side note, I don’t think that any religion that uses fear as a way to get people to follow it is worth my time. Just recently, I received an e-mail from a Muslim asking me what I think is going to happen to me if I die and what my purpose in life is especially since I am not religious. That question in itself is just another way that Islam and all other religions plays on people’s fears so I didn’t even respond because I can proudly say that I don’t buy into that anymore. I no longer worry about what will happen to me when I die or what my purpose in life is because the unfortunate, harsh truth is that when we die that’s it and there is no magical kingdom or place of torture that we go to because it has never been proven. Therefore, it is much better and more life affirming to be living the best life we possibly can now so that when we are on our death beds, we don’t regret wasting our lives on frivolous things such as whether or not we are going to hell or whether or not God will accept our prayers. We as the human race should be worrying about how to alleviate and put an end to worldwide poverty, suffering, war, rape, murder, misogyny, racism, homophobia, greed, and any other kind of human misery that befalls us rather than wasting energy worrying about strange rituals such as bending over for God five times a day, washing yourself in a certain way (wudu, ghusl) or memorizing more often than not, violent verses in the Koran that are basically both irrelevant and unhelpful in today’s world. In terms of what my purpose in life is, I prefer to be honest and say I don’t know rather than disillusion and lie to myself by blindly adopting a religion, but what I do know is that it is important to be a good person and help others when one is able to do so. I also know that all religions use this largely man-made concept of divine purpose as a way to entice people (especially those who feel lost or confused in the path of life) to follow them by implying that they need to have some kind of supernatural purpose in life besides just being. I think it is pretty pathetic how religion preys on the lost and those who are so desperate for any shred as hope as a tool of manipulation like this by telling someone that they must have a purpose in life and that purpose is Islam, Jehovah's Witness, Christianity, etc. I am more at peace with the fact that we just simply exist and that life is what we make of it. We don't necessarily have to have any kind of purpose other than to not hurt each other and try to help those who are struggling. I think I finally realized this after much obsession with Islam and what my purpose in life is which was actually serving to make me more miserable and disillusioned in the end. The long and short of the matter is that no one really has a higher purpose other than to live life as well as she or he can in the here and now and to help those in need. There is no divine being that is somehow humanity’s ultimate aspiration in life and just knowing that alone is the beginning of the path from Islam to complete secular freedom. During my conversion experience, I ended up reading the entire Koran in hopes that when I finished it I would immediately have some sort of revelation and have everything all of a sudden “make sense and fall into place like some converts have claimed happened to them. However I ended up feeling deeply appalled by most of it which I will explain in more detail a bit later. Even so, I managed to convince myself that with time, I would soon begin to "understand what the Koran actually says” as opposed to what was right in front of my nose the entire time which is a common theme among most religions to have their text say one thing but claim that it somehow means another no matter how far reaching that claim may be. So I took my Shahadah. I was especially encouraged to take my Shahadah because I met a fellow female Canadian revert who had only reverted a month ago at the time. I figured that if she saw something in the religion then it was worth converting. On a side note, it has been two years since then, and she is now married to a Muslim man and pregnant with his child. She will give birth next month most likely. I often wonder if she still wants to be a Muslim or if she is now trapped. I kind of lost contact with her. Anyway, her (alleged) story is just one of the many reasons why I left Islam after less than a month-because I was afraid of becoming trapped the longer I stayed. I wonder if her views on Islam would be so positive if she had to by chance move to a Muslim country in which women have absolutely no power or authority over their own lives. I also got really sick of Muslims telling me that Islam is easy when in fact it is not especially for a revert. The manner of prayer and the proper way of taking wudu (ritual washing) and figuring out which way to face is difficult in and of itself to master and the learning of what to say in Arabic while you do so is even more daunting. Not to mention that Islam is full of strict and more often than not, pointless, petty rules and regulations about what one can and cannot do even if it doesn’t harm others. I mean why is it evil to listen to music if it brings you enjoyment or what is wrong with owning a dog?! I am sure that an all-powerful, all-mighty God has much more important things to worry about than petty things like that-and if that is in fact what He does worry about, then maybe He needs to get a life and stop trying to micromanage His creation to such an impossible extent. If anything, Islam is difficult, inflexible and seems to take pleasure in controlling every single miniscule aspect of people’s lives from what one wears to how one uses the toilet. In all honesty, I got super tired of having to plan my day around those above mentioned five daily prayers (though I did due to my intense fear of hell at the time which I can now acknowledge with full confidence, is actually not a very life-affirming belief in the Muslim religion and really has no place in life if one is seeking to truly live it to the fullest without fear or imposed limits). It just seemed to me like such a waste of time but I was so terrified of hell in all its graphic depictions in the Koran. Eventually, I finally decided that there was more to life than bending over for Allah five times in my day and furthermore, that I was more likely to go to hell (if there were such a thing which I don't believe there is), for murdering and harming innocent people. I just cannot believe that if I don't pray in a certain way that I will go to hell. Not to mention, that I never really knew what to say when I prayed because I didn't know Arabic and apparently, the prayers are only valid in that language. Wouldn't an alleged God who created everything know all languages? In relation to the five daily prayers and sawm (fasting) a secular pen pal of mine recently wrote to me and basically said that fasting, all night prayer (deprivation of sleep) and repetition (praying five times a day at certain times and having to wash in a certain manner [taking wudu]) are manipulative tools used in religion to keep people in a weakened state of mind and distract them from realizing what is truly going on which therefore, renders them easier to control. I also add that the prohibition and demonizing of music is another tool since it would distract one from their repetitive prayer and starving. I was blown away by my pen pal’s statement; it just made so much sense especially in light of my experience because I spent an entire Ramadan with Muslims and there was something surreal about the whole experience-like I was in a different world. I wasn’t fasting, but everyone else around me was and the atmosphere just seemed incredibly conducive to unclear thought and mind altering states. When I stopped obsessing over planning my day around the five daily prayers and managed to get over my fear of hell, I felt free and like I was no longer in a trance! I feel like the key to maintaining a strong mind is to stay away from religion, especially one that uses deprivation of basic needs (food and sleep) while demonizing entertainment and employing the use of repetition in order to keep people feeling stuck and confused and then thinking they are confused because they can’t understand the religion when in reality, it is the religion itself, that is confusing them! If you think about it, it really is genius on religion’s (and the Prophet’s) part-they have found the perfect way to control people in this manner by manipulating the emotions of people through removal of food, enjoyment and sleep. Think about it-if you haven’t eaten in days, have to pray at certain times of the day no matter what you’re doing, have no creative outlets and are constantly up all night, would you be in a completely clear state of mind? If only more people would wake up and realize how religion truly does control and manipulate people in an incredibly sadistic and emotionally scarring manner! When I tried to leave Islam the first time, I posted on Facebook that I needed to go back to being myself and could no longer carry on the way I was. A few Muslim sisters saw this (one of which wore the Niqaab), and they must've put two and two together because they inboxed me and told me that they were going to be at my place in ten minutes. I guess I could’ve just not left my apartment, but curiosity has always been my downfall. The sisters took me to a nearby Dawah Center and convinced me to stay in the religion. I don't remember what they said except that I needed to be saved from hell, but I came back home really upset and it scared me more than ever because I realized shortly after that incident, that the deeper I got into the religion of Islam, the more difficult it might be for me to leave. The second time I left the faith, the sisters didn't come to my "aid." They must've decided that there was no hope for me. However, I got a lot of really nasty comments on one status on Facebook (over 150) about how I am going to burn in hell and one girl even said that Muslims are humble and I am not. I swiftly replied that no self-respecting humble person would proclaim their humility to the world in such a manner but I never got a response. Through this comment chain, I even received a death threat. I swiftly replied that they knew where I lived and if they wanted to kill me they should come on over and do it because I would rather die than subscribe to a set of beliefs that are so violent and abhorrent especially toward women. Even after I apologized to everyone involved in that comment chain through a mass Facebook message, I was still met with unfathomable nasty and vile responses for doing nothing more than leaving Islam. I just couldn’t win and the only unfortunate solution I saw was to block every single person who attacked me on Facebook in order to maintain what shred of sanity I had left. Needless to say, nothing happened in terms of the death threat, but the experience shook me up for two years and it only occurred to me to tell my story recently and I need to do so in order to heal and move on or else I fear that my unhealthy obsession with Islam will never cease. The sister that wears the Niqaab who I mentioned above, once sent me an e-mail with an article attached detailing how God is vengeful and will punish the disbelievers in an effort to try to get me to reconsider my decision of leaving Islam-I guess she was trying to scare me into it which is a typical religious tactic. I responded that I would rather believe in a merciful and loving God and she said in her reply that everything I say to her sounds like “blah, blah, blah” but she still had hope for me so she sent me another article to read as if that would help the situation at that point. I was incredibly hurt because she expected me to listen to what she had to say but somehow what I said wasn’t valid. Then I realized that she was actually being honest because anything that contradicted her belief in God probably did sound like “blah, blah, blah” to her since that was how far gone into the religion she was. I replied to her that everything SHE said to ME also sounded like “blah, blah, blah” and to not contact me anymore. However, I guess she really did just read a bunch of blahs in my response because she did e-mail me back but I did not open the e-mail and deleted it forever because I finally realized that she expected me to take her opinion as law but she didn’t have the same respect for what I had to say and that is actually a very common theme among Muslims; they can say what they want but Allah forbid that somebody contradicts them or has a difference in opinion that doesn’t promote hate and intolerance. In fact, Ibn Warraq, in his book Why the West is Best quotes author Geert Wilders who was on trial for doing nothing more than criticizing Islam states “there is reason for concern if the erosion of our freedom of speech is the price we must pay to accommodate Islam” (196). No religion, especially that of Islam, should ever be allowed to infiltrate on someone’s right to expression and freedom of speech because that will just serve to open up the floor for other rights being taken away such as the right to equality (especially for women), right to all types of education and not just Islamic, and the right to freedom of belief and religion. It could very well happen here in the West if people like Geert don’t put their lives on the line and speak up for what’s right. The sister that I mentioned above had shared her story with me as to why she became Muslim previously before the “blah” incident but even when I was deeply entrenched in the conversion process, her reasons for converting sounded more like psychological brainwashing to me than proof of Islam being the “true” religion. She sent me a very long and detailed story in which she explains how Islam saved her from a life of being in gangs and getting in with “bad crowds.” However, any religion or belief system could’ve done that. The only reason it happened to be Islam for this one sister is because when she was at her lowest point there happened to be Muslims around and they told her that she needed to take Shahadah in order to be saved from her life of misery. In that situation, I probably would’ve grabbed on to any form of hope myself and that is just what she did. She traded one form of psychological harm (gang life) for another (religion). So I guess the whole “blah” incident makes sense now that I think about it because that Niqaabi sister is holding onto her religion basically with the firmest of death grips even though she hasn’t gone back to her former gang life in over ten years; her religion now is nothing more than a crutch though she doesn’t realize that she no longer needs it and that it was never God, but her own sheer hope that saved her from her situation since God does not exist in the first place. This unfortunate sister appears unable to see past her narrow outlook on life and God and that is one of the notions that scared me the most out of this whole situation-I never want to be so far gone into a religion that I become blinded to everything else because then all I would have left is the religion and that is a terrifying thought for me. This sister actually has a much better life now based on what I have seen in comparison to what she had told me her former life was like, but she still thinks that she somehow needs the religion to save her when really, she got out of that life of misery all on her own since God doesn’t actually exist. Psychologically, she thinks it was the religion that saved her when in all actuality, it was just plain, straight up hope that did the job. That is why I mentioned earlier just how psychologically damaging religion can be especially when it blinds you to what is really going on and to all other viewpoints except for the religion itself. The “blah” incident no longer hurts my feelings; it just makes me feel incredibly sorry for this sister who is so misguided and even believes beyond a shadow of a doubt that if a woman is beaten by her husband, it is somehow HER fault for choosing the wrong man as if she should’ve seen it coming or something! Last time I checked, human beings aren’t psychic because if we were, then no one would be religious because they would foresee the immense harm and delusion that it causes for society. All the above being said however in terms of holding on to religion when one is in a state of misery and despair, I myself even went through a period in my life recently where I felt suicidal and considered going back to the faith because I felt hopeless and decided Islam was the only way to regain this hope. Then I read something in a book entitled The Happy Atheist by Pz Myers that probably saved me from both suicide and from the cage of Islam: "The hard question, though, is why women ever fall for women-hating religions in the first place...religion is a kind of parasite of the mind that promotes its own disease. Where does religion have its greatest success? Among the miserable and the oppressed, because it is very good at promising (but not delivering) hope. If you are among the downtrodden, magical answers have a great appeal...These answers do nothing but make the believer feel better about his or her problems. In fact, they actually increase the misery by encouraging believers to shun productive solutions in favour of non-answers. Misery leads people to turn to religion, which can make the misery worse, because religion doesn't address the material causes of the misery, and the increasing despair leads to more and more succor from religion which makes it even worse...And who has been slapped down consistently throughout human history? Women. It's not surprising that the segment of society that is oppressed is also one that often turns to faith to gain the illusion of relief" (89-90). This quote was just what I needed because I could not figure out why me, a Canadian born and by all respects, liberated woman, would be so obsessed with such a misogynistic religion. The answer that it was because my misery was getting the better of me should've been obvious due to my suicidal thoughts, but I clearly wasn't thinking in a rational manner at the time. I still wear long skirts and dresses on a daily basis when I am not in the gym (I am a fitness buff), but I don’t associate it with any kind of religion. That is just my style and I feel comfortable that way. In fact, now that I am finally able to be completely honest with myself, if it weren’t for the clothing in Islam (the long dresses and skirts, beautiful scarves, etc), then I probably would have had zero interest in the religion and I can dress up however I want without having to be a Muslim whether it be a long skirt or a pair of tight jeans. I still have a deep fascination for Muslim fashion, but I am never going to let this fascination go beyond that again. The one item of Muslim clothing that I no longer feel right wearing is the headscarf because I don’t want to be mistaken for a Muslim when I am out and about since it would just be awkward having to explain to other Muslims when they say “salaam alaykum” to me and I just don’t want to associate with the Muslim community anymore in general. I guess right now, I just don’t want to draw attention to myself in that sense. I even went through a period where I called myself an “Atheist Hijabi” wearing the headscarf though I had no intention of converting at that time, and some Muslims took unwarranted offense to this. It is not that I care whether or not I offend because people really need to get over themselves and you can’t please everyone, but I just don’t want to have to deal with the comments and judgment because I have social anxiety and am scared enough of people and how to relate to them already. There are days where I do miss wearing the headscarf but for the most part, I am happier this way. I sold all fifty of my scarves to that Canadian convert I mentioned, and only kept one because I needed to get Islam out of my home and my system. Not to mention that because it is women who are usually victims of rape, shouldn’t it be the men learning how to control themselves whether she is covered or not? I guess in Islam it is easier to coerce women to cover up than it is to expect men to act like human beings. When you think about it, it is actually really immature and doesn’t give men much credit as human beings capable of offering love and protection regardless of a woman’s fashion choices. Men should be insulted that the religion even remotely portrays them in this manner as primal beings who cannot control their sexual thirst if they happen to see a woman’s naked arm. There is also a satirical cartoon that Muslims will use to try to point out the benefits of women covering up that features a woman completely covered except for her eyes and a woman completely uncovered except for her eyes. In the cartoon both women are thinking that the other woman is oppressed but the reality is that they BOTH are especially because the cartoon is so extreme in its portrayal. Where is the happy medium? A woman is only truly liberated when she can be seen by society for more than just what she does and doesn’t wear-namely, her mind. Muslims claim that a woman covering up will help others see her for her mind but in reality, it just reinforces our society’s victim-blaming mentality by telling women that they can only be seen for their minds if they dress a certain way because men are somehow too weak to control themselves. I have a mind whether I am covered up or naked and true equality will only be had when society can fully acknowledge this without focusing on something as petty as my outward appearance or my clothing. Islam is just as guilty of focusing on what a woman should and shouldn’t wear as Western society though many Muslims will adamantly argue that this is simply not the case when all the evidence points to the contrary but that’s religion for you! There are days where I deeply miss being Muslim because of the community it gave me since I was lonely, but in the end, I would rather be lonely than subscribe to such a violent, hypocritical, dishonest, misogynistic and confusing belief system that only views me as half as good as a man even though I have a keen mind and ideas, feelings and thoughts of my own that are just as valid. An example of dishonesty when it comes to women and Islam is that Muslims (especially Imams [men who are seen to be experts on the faith]) will lie to you and make Islam seem all rosy and peachy and like it's just the best thing ever. I was told on numerous occasions by both men (Imams and non-Imams) AND women that Islam liberates women which looking back on it now, makes me want to laugh so hard because that is such a load of thick bullshit especially because in Muslim countries, under Sharia law, it is actually women who suffer the most due to horrific practices that are totally acceptable in the Islamic world such as sanctioned wife beating and raping, being stoned to death for being the VICTIMS of rape, a high divorce rate which stigmatizes the woman, having to compete with four other wives in some cases, having to ask their husband’s permission for everything and having to be relentlessly obedient to their husbands even if it infringes upon their well-being, having to be sexually available to their husbands no matter what or else the angels may curse them and more urgently, their husbands may beat them, not being allowed to drive, continuous unwanted (forced) pregnancies in the name of adding to the already rampant Muslim population, not being allowed to work and therefore, having to depend on the very men who beat and rape them, being barred from even the most basic education, having their testimony in court being seen as less than a man’s and even been seen as more likely to be more forgetful (Sura 2:282) especially in rape cases, inheriting less than men (Sura 4:11, 4176), being forcibly confined to their homes, and having to fear for their lives when they are allowed to go out in public if they don’t cover up properly. Women are always singled out as being more emotional in Islam and therefore, needing to be controlled by their more “rational” male counterparts, but in a society that subjects them to this cruel form of restriction and limitation in the first place based on something as trivial as genitals, and constantly oppresses them in the manner described above, how do they expect women to react?! By contrast in a society that liberates women, men would see it as their duty to protect and respect women from both emotional and physical violence rather than being the perpetrators of it seeing as they are generally physically stronger and should therefore, see protection of women as their duty especially because it is women who bring forth new life into the world. It appears as if Islam will never evolve to the point where it can just see people as human beings in their own right rather than people whose rights solely rely on whether they possess a vagina or a penis, the latter guaranteeing basic rights, and even luxuries beyond this, the former being more subject to debate, control and subjugation to the latter. If I am to be true to myself in terms of my solid belief that women are complete equals to men and that freedom of thought and expression are basic human rights, then only a secular viewpoint can offer this freedom and equality because Islam is directly incompatible with even the smallest notion of freedom, free speech, and the complete liberation of women especially in Muslim countries, and therefore, has no place in my life or the lives of anyone else. Philosopher Friedrick Hayek, as quoted in Why the West is Best, declares that “individual freedom cannot be reconciled with the supremacy of one single purpose to which the whole society must be entirely and permanently subordinated (205). Islam, as I have stated above, is a direct threat to the type of unconfined freedom that both Hayek and myself are referring to because it places dinosaur-age dogmas and relentless ruthlessness before modernism and individual human rights. In addition to The Happy Atheist and Why the West is Best, I recommend to anyone to read the book Leaving Islam: Apostates Speak Out also by Ibn Warraq. It inspired me to write my story about leaving Islam and has probably been the single most helpful book to me in this difficult, long and confusing journey. We need more people like Warraq to speak out on these issues so that others who are seriously considering converting to Islam will not do so under the guise of ignorance, lies and hidden information that seem to be so commonplace within the religion. One piece of advice that I can offer to anyone who is thinking of reverting, DO YOUR RESEARCH! Don’t just do what I did and read the books that the Dawah Centers or Mosques provide for you about Islam. They paint a very rosy, inaccurate picture of the religion that does no justice to the horrors that people, especially women, have endured at the hands of Islam such as honour killings and rape. Did you know that in Islamic countries, if a woman is a political prisoner to be killed, she is raped first so that she doesn’t get to Heaven because of the belief that only virgins (if they are unmarried) go to Heaven. I mean doesn’t that just sound like a convenient excuse for men to justify acting like tyrannical, inhuman monsters? Also, did you know that the Prophet (I refuse to wish him peace) stated that a man should not have to give explanation as to why he beats his wife (Abu Dawud 11:2142) and also married a six year old girl and started fondling and having sexual relations with her at the age of nine (Bukhari 6:298) just because she had started her menses so that somehow made it ok?! I don't care what the time period is; it is still straight up pedophilia. The Prophet also stated that women should be beaten for being opinionated (Abu Dawud 11:2141) and to submit to the sexual desires of men even if they are beaten (Bukhari 72:715). There are many more Hadith and Koran that prove just how much Islam hates women (Muslim 9:3506, Abu Dawud 11:2126, Ibn Ishiq/Hisham 969, Maliks Muwatta 41:16B, Bukhari 82:828, Ibn Ishaq p.496, Ibn Majah 9:1986, Koran Sura 2:223, 38:41-44,24:31). In addition to being a cruel and cowardly act for a man to beat a woman, I also find it incredibly tragic because I strongly believe that men are built to protect women and not harm them. Not to mention that it is sick and perverse to not only allow wife beating in the first place in Islam, but to have rules about it rather than just outlaw it completely as a barbaric and unnecessary practice that has no place in any half-civilized society. Muhammad also states that the majority of hell’s inhabitants are women because they have not been grateful to their husbands for not mistreating them. NO self-respecting woman should have to be grateful for that because as a human being, she is entitled to it and should even demand it because she is a full person in her own right deserving of respect and care. Not to mention that a husband can beat his wife in Islam for disobedience. It is in the Koran Sura 4:34. Of course Muslim apologists will either argue that it is not in the Koran at all even when you are holding it right in their face which basically proves to me just how much denial and mental blocking is needed to believe in such a violent religion in the first place, or they will argue that it is actually a verse against wife beating or they will say that the original translation in Arabic doesn’t really say that when in fact, most Muslims cannot even read Arabic and furthermore, based on my research, it does actually state to beat your wife for disobedience in a much harsher manner than the English translation. I read about four different English translations of that one verse because it is the one that most disgusts me and they ALL say “beat.” So are Muslims telling me that all of those professional Arabic translators are wrong when they cannot even read Arabic themselves?! The word used for beat in Arabic is “daraba” in that verse. It does in fact mean beat or strike and some translations even try to “soften the verse” by inserting the word “lightly” in brackets beside the word “beat” even though the “lightly” part is not found in the Arabic at all. So if anything, the original Arabic is actually much harsher than the English and no, it is not dishonestly translated that way by English scholars just to discredit Islam as some Muslims have claimed, especially because many of the translators are in fact Muslims themselves. Why would they discredit their own religion and why would ALL of them use the word “beat”? However, my favourite justification for this verse, is that it is somehow “taken out of context” even though the Koran itself IS the context and even claims within its very own pages that it is mean to be a clear book (Sura 5:15, 2:99, 6:104-105, 22:16) so how can anything ever be taken out of the context of the Koran in the first place? The Koran is actually a lot more straightforward than Muslim apologists care to admit and basically, what it says is very difficult to portray as anything other than what the verses actually state in terms of endorsing violence, gay-bashing, anti-semitism and monumental misogyny (the worst one in my opinion because when women aren’t liberated, everyone on earth suffers because women are our future and the backbone of our entire planet). In terms of women being somehow “liberated” by Islam their very own Prophet didn’t have a very high view of them and in fact, sanctioned the raping of them in the Hadith (Bukhari 34:432, 62:137). Please tell me how permissible rape is liberating and don’t give me the argument that it’s a “weak Hadith.” This is the argument I encountered as a new convert and I finally realized that certain Hadith are kept in circulation in order to justify the actions of those in power while telling new Muslims and people who are ignorant of Islam in general, that it’s an inaccurate Hadith in order to protect their pathetic excuse for a faith. It just seems far too convenient to me. The plain fact that it is even part of the Hadith at all within a religion that claims to be peaceful, is enough to make me sick. When it comes to gay-bashing, there are numerous verses in the Koran that condemn homosexuality (Sura 4:16, 7:80-84, 27:54-56, 26:165-166 29:27-33) in contrast to only one short verse in the Bible (Leviticus 18:22)-and the Koran is at least five times shorter in length! It is amazing how so much hate and violence can be crammed into such a small book. I even had a Muslim friend (it is ironic that she would befriend me in the first place since Sura 5:51 declares that Muslims shall not befriend non-Muslims so therefore, she doesn’t even know her own religion), declare to me that gay people ruined the rainbow for her. In utter disbelief, I told her that there was nothing wrong with being gay and her response was “that’s because you just have a different opinion.” She said it like it was such a bad thing to even have a thought contradictory to the sick and evil religion that is Islam. For me, those who identify as anything other than straight, have made the rainbow that much more meaningful and diverse. I ended up changing the subject because I am lonely and she is my only friend but sometimes I wish I had said something more especially because homosexuality is seen as a crime punishable by death under Sharia law in most if not all, Muslim countries and these historically oppressed people deserve at the very least, people standing up for their rights as full citizens on this earth no matter who they (choose to) love. I put choose in brackets because I don’t think being gay is necessarily a choice (especially with all of intolerance and oppression that goes along with it), but more of an inclination toward one sex over the other much like being straight. One cannot help their sexual orientation any more than they can help their skin colour. Is God so petty and immature that He cares what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedrooms especially since He was the one who created them that way in the first place? I want nothing to do with that sadistic God. This same friend who I mentioned in relation to the rainbow, is African American and is super against racism yet ironically, she discriminates against people for being gay. Another irony on my friend’s part is that Arabs enslaved and forcefully spread Islam throughout Africa and therefore, her ancestors may have been direct products of these unfortunate events and have past down the religion of their perpetrators to future generations. Quoting author N’Diaye in Why the West is Best, Warraq writes “Millions of Africans were victims of raids, were massacred or captured, castrated and sent to the Arabo-Muslim world…such was in reality the major occupation of the majority of the Arabs who Islamized the African people all the while posing as pillars of the faith and exemplary believers. They often went from one region to region, Koran in one hand, knife for castrating in the other” (110). It is a wonder that these barbarians had time for their five daily prayers what with all the enslavement and forced conversions they were engaged in. So my friend who I know for a fact is against the slavery of her own people, is ironically following a religion that not only has its roots and history based in slavery some of which was done on her very own continent but also sanctions slavery in her very own holy book (Sura 16:75) and Hadith (Bukhari 34:351, 41:98, 47:765, 52:255, Muslim 39:01). Slavery is actually deeply embedded within the Islamic tradition both for work (labourers) and for sexual conquest (sex slaves) This same friend also texted me recently to ask me if I heard the shocking news that three Muslims were killed in North Carolina. While I sympathize with the plight of my fellow human beings who just so happen to be Muslim, I wonder if my friend would’ve been as shocked and heartbroken if these three people who were killed weren’t Muslim? There are countless non-Muslims out there who are slain in the name of Allah but it seems that Muslims only get enraged when it is their own kind who are slain for being Muslim. Islamically, it is somehow perfectly fine for people to be slain for NOT being Muslim. It is ironic to note that on Sunday February 15th 2015, Saudi Arabia officials declared the senseless murder of those three unfortunate Muslims a “heinous terrorist act” but yet, fail to (or refuse to) acknowledge the brutal slaughter of non-Muslim that takes place in their very own country. Later on, I will mention just some of the numerous verses in the Koran that endorse the killing of non-Muslims for the sake of Allah (even though Allah created these people in the first place!) Speaking of the Koran, there may be Muslim apologists out there who argue that this “holy” book does have some good verses that promote peace and tolerance in contrast to killing and brutality, but I had a very difficult time even finding one Sura about peace without it being in the context of ruthless violence, intolerance and misogyny because the simple truth of the matter is that the violent and barbaric verses in the Koran far outweigh the peaceful, tolerant ones. One verse in the Koran states that “none shall enter Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian. These are their own desires…Produce your proofs is you are truthful” (Sura 2:111). Is it not the selfish desires also of the Muslim people to say that only they will be the ones to go to Heaven as is mentioned in Sura 3:85? Where is their proof besides the verses written by their own biased Prophet in the Koran?! I am beginning to become more and more convinced every day that the Prophet made up the entire Koran to serve his own agenda and that God played no role in it whatsoever because if He is all powerful and all knowing, why would He need a mere mortal to write it for Him? Also, if God is all powerful, why is His alleged greatness contained to such a small and obscure book? I believe that the Prophet just said that God told him to write the Koran and the argument that the Prophet was illiterate and couldn’t have written it, therefore proving that God wrote it, is incredibly weak because the Prophet could’ve paid someone who was literate to write down his twisted thoughts for him. The Prophet Muhammad is the Joseph Smith (Mormonism) of Islam in that he used people’s fear of a non-existent deity to further his own agenda and therefore, should not be revered as a hero but shunned as someone who plays on people’s vulnerabilities and mercilessly abuses women for his own personal satisfaction just to get ahead in life. Not to mention that if God wanted to reveal His final word to people, why not do it now in this day and age with all the technology we have? It sure would’ve reached a lot more people than just those wondering around in 7th century Arabia with no clue why the sun set at night or why it rained other than to attribute it to a vengeful, deceitful deity in the sky that watches their every move. Another tidbit of information regarding women in Islam (in which many Muslims argue that she is actually liberated through this religion) is that a woman must ask her husband permission before she can go on birth control because in Islam, Muslims are required to have a lot of children in order to keep the religion alive. Can someone please tell me how not having complete control and autonomy over your own body as a woman is liberating?! I refuse to buy into a religion that treats me like a second class citizen without full rights over my own damn body just because I don’t happen to be a man. I have finally come to terms with being an Atheist again and it feels utterly amazing and brings me immense joy and satisfaction that no religion ever could. In fact, religion, especially Islam, and all its stuffy rules limits us as human beings by taking all of the joy and fun right out of living and what kind of a life is that anyway?! Now I no longer have to contemplate leaving my non-Muslim husband or limit what I can and cannot do based on some obscure belief system. As an Atheist and more importantly, as a human being, I don’t have to have all the answers to the big questions in life, I just have to do the best I can with what I have and that gives me a sense of relief because I can spend my time more productively than agonizing over where we go when we die or whether or not God exists. I have more important things to worry about like being the best person that I can now and helping others when I am able. There is something puissant and comforting to be said for enjoying the mystery of life and the liberation of doubt and free thought rather than always having to control everything and have all the answers-religion takes all the joy and wonder out of living and enjoying life in the moment precisely because it claims to have all the answers-it is very largely based on control and human insecurity rather than just enjoying the here and now without having to always know everything all the time. The sheer certainty that is the nature of religion terrifies me because it leaves no room for enjoying all life has to offer in a completely unfettered, uninhibited way. We are human and we aren’t perfect so how can we have all the answers anyway?! Being an Atheist gives me hope, sense of inner peace and freedom and there is nothing more important to me than these states of being except for acceptance and love for who I am whether I believe in Allah or a flying pink unicorn that shits money. I felt like I couldn’t be myself as a Muslim and deep down it felt so rotten and vile to have to give up my free thought and outspokenness in order to be a “proper” Muslim woman. Not to mention that when I reverted, I was constantly told that I had to leave my husband who I love very much and who would do anything for me solely because he is not Muslim. Islam has no place in my bedroom and Muslims have no place telling me who I can and cannot love. No religion, ideology or person does. So please, if you are seriously considering reverting, RECONSIDER and read the books by Warraq that I mentioned earlier! I recommend it to anyone who falls under the spell of Islam. It will bring you back to reality so fast you won’t know what hit you-except maybe that you finally aren’t brainwashed anymore. I really wish I had read Warraq’s books before I converted because it gives one a taste of what true Islam actually is as opposed to the watered down, just peachy version of it that is taught in Western Mosques and schools. As Warraq notes in Why the West is Best, “in recent years, Saudi Arabia and other Islamic countries have established chairs of Islamic studies in prestigious Western Universities, which are then influenced to present a favourable image of Islam” (174). I guess I was so mesmerized by the beautiful clothing in Islam that I wasn’t thinking very clearly and at the time, did not even think to study beyond the books I was given that said nothing but good things about Islam and the inaccurate statements of other Muslims. Don’t let that be your story and always remember that misery is big business for religion. Don’t ever buy into a system of belief that exploits your misery for its own gain especially the evil, intolerant, scary, abhorrent, vile and hateful religion (dare I say cult) of Islam! In NO way does it liberate women by any stretch of the imagination nor is it even remotely a religion of tolerance and peace (and in fact, encourages Muslims in over 109 verses in the Koran to kill, fight or viciously harm non-Muslims in the name of Allah [see Sura 2:191-193, 2:216, 5:33, 8:12, 8:59-65, 9:5, 9:29-30, 9:123 33:60-62, 40:25, 47:4, 48:25, and, the most vile graphic, and disgusting verses in terms of slaying non-Muslims in my opinion, Sura 22:19]). Remember that. I guess in light of the above mentioned verses on killing non-Muslims, it makes sense that this is what the Koran teaches because it also states in Sura 2:217 that temptation is worse than taking someone’s life. Also it is very shocking to note that Sura 9:111 states that those who fight in the name of Allah will kill and be killed. I am just speculating, but could this be the verse responsible for 9/11? In any case, I wonder how Muslims expect anyone in any part of the world to see their religion in even a remotely positive light while they continue to endorse the killing and torture of non-Muslims? Islam already has an unbelievably shoddy reputation as it is-is the brutal slaying of non-Muslims in the name of their “merciful” God somehow going to change this perception? I don't want anyone else who may be miserable and looking to religion (especially one as violent and intolerant as Islam) to offer them some kind of false hope to go through the utter, seemingly endless confusion and agonizing fear that I did. If my article can save just one person from this unfortunate fate, then sharing it is worth it to me. Religion, especially Islam, is nothing more than mental abuse and there is no greater loss than that of the mind and the ability to think freely-indeed, it is when people are in a state of belief based on ignorance, blind following, lies, deceit, manipulation, brainwashing, denial and violence rather than one of reason based on critical thought, careful, unbiased research, ceaseless questioning, ceaseless curiosity while still maintaining an air of skepticism, comfort with not knowing and doubt rather than making claims based on nothing to fill the gaps, a sincere thirst for knowledge and sharp intellect that our world suffers the most especially within the realms of human rights, complete freedom, autonomy and social justice for all. As Warraq states in Why the West is Best “freedom of conscience can be guaranteed only in a secular state, where religion is a private matter” (181). Just as recently as February 2015, a gunman in the Danish capital of Copenhagen, thought to be inspired by Islamic radicalism, shot up a group of people at a free speech event. This unfortunate event could happen to us in the West if we don’t stand up for our rights as set by the constitution. The loss of free speech is the beginning of the loss of freedom in general. I call on everyone to wake up and unveil Islam for what it truly is-relentless and violent oppression of free thought and speech and therefore, stifling even the most basic of human freedom in the name of Allah.

Reply #6 - July 01, 2015, 07:42 PM

Here is a video with Mohammed El-Hout an Ex-Muslim, who talks about his deconversion from Islam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHlFLcw6l_E

It's quite long 1,5 hours. But you can skip the first 10 minutes.

Interesting is something he says during the interview: "Muslim believe that Mohammed went to heaven and saw god on a unicorn". What  Huh? ? I have never heard of it. Do Muslim believe in unicorns?

Reply #7 - July 01, 2015, 07:47 PM

Ooh, put mine from my intro thread! It's like really cool and stuff totally! (not really)

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #8 - July 01, 2015, 09:10 PM

Hi everyone! I'm an ex-Muslim from the United States who's left the religion of peace probably more than a half decade ago. My studies of science and overall trends in history were probably what led me to question the faith first. For me this naturally led to questioning my parents and grandparents about any and all aspects of Islam that I found objectionable. Sometimes this led to circular arguments, other times I was drawn back in with "evidences" that seem woefully transparent to me now. Still, when at end I could not be convinced of the merits of a particular teaching I was always told by my parents to read the quran and its translation to gain a real understanding of Islam. As the writing style of the quran and its English translations is not really conducive to gaining an understanding of Islam, let alone our rapidly changing world, I looked into acquiring tafseer(commentary) of the Quran from Islamic scholars in order see the context that was always missing in the translation of quranic verses. I was greatly excited then, when I was able to get a copy of Ma'ariful Qur'an written by the respected scholar Maulana Mufti Muhammad Shafi from my local mosque, which sits in my bookshelf to this day.

I didn't know at the time how reading this narrative, the context behind the verses of the Quran would affect my attitude towards the religion. To me it was just incredibly exciting to get a glimpse into the mind of a great scholar as he interpreted the meaning behind the books often vague, poetically styled verses. My reading though, ended up bringing more questions and objections in my head than ever. There were many verses that I would discuss and debate at the time before I began to find the apology for Islam lacking, and I think most of us are familiar with the ones that are most absurd/objectionable. Suffice it to say, I quickly came to the conclusion that Islam as described in the Quran could not be the guide for all of mankind that it claimed to be and provided nothing resembling a reasonable way of life or deen for its followers in many largely pluralistic societies around the world.

I think it was at that point that I truly left Islam, but I haven't really gotten around to calling myself an atheist until recently. What most scared me about leaving Islam for all of these years wasn't a fear of a hell or other punishment, but rather the changed nature of my relationships with all the Muslims, especially my family, that I have surrounded myself with throughout my life. It was that feeling of aloneness that would keep me from being vocal about my thoughts about Islam and god. For that reason it brings me great joy to hear about and join a site such as this, that truly lets ex-Muslims like myself know that they are not alone, but are rather part of a continuing tide of those who are leaving Islam.

Thanks all for reading my story. I hope I'll be able to share a lot more of myself through these forums, and learn much about my fellow ex-Muslims as well.

Yours truly,

asbdsp#J

Reply #9 - July 01, 2015, 09:11 PM

Ooh, put mine from my intro thread! It's like really cool and stuff totally! (not really)

Ohh like I put it like! It's now in here, like totes :3  grin12

Reply #10 - July 05, 2015, 04:44 AM

Why I left Islam

There are many reasons to leave a religion.

There are many reasons to disbelieve in gods. Doing either doesn't necessarily mean one will jump straight into bed with a replacement. It can also be liberating life experience. It doesn't have to leave a religion shaped hole that needs filling. It can set you free to just explore yourself and the universe and take it as it comes. To expand and breathe life unchained.

Some people don't even have any kind of emotional attachments to religion, instead having practical or social attachments. Any of these kinds of attachments can be replaced. But you're not going to put much thought into finding a replacement if they are still holding your attention.

Islam never really held my attention.

I always found myself out of synch with it. Praying was boring, fasting was uncomfortable, the structured rule set was frustrating and claustrophobic, often ridiculously arbitrary.

When I asked questions, my curiosity was met with trite answers that left me unsatisfied, left me wanting, left me cold. Programmed platitudes, clichés and canards that rang insincere and hollow to me. And that was on a good day when the answers were somewhat constructive.

It was more often than not a harsh, impatient and stifling condemnation of the mere idea of questioning such things.

The divine directives just didn't sit right with me either. I saw the abuses and injustices that were a manifest result of them, not only to me but to others, and this vexed me. Like a splinter in my brain.

All this was compounded by the overbearing masculinity of Islam. This is a man's religion. This last point troubled my conscience perhaps most of all. Long before I actually did any reading or investigation into the rationale of how things came to be this way for me.

I wouldn't describe my deconversion as an emotional expulsion of religion. I think it was a practical, sensual thing. Islam smelled like bullshit and the trail of evidence pointed away from Islam. You start doubting one thing and it starts a chain reaction. It's like a game of Jenga – you start removing blocks and eventually the little tower becomes so unstable that it collapses. I was an unbeliever even before I realised what one was, simply by ongoing practical deduction. But there was no "Eureka!" moment. There was no BOOM! I am an Atheist! It was a complete non-event – the end of an organic, gradual process. The result of largely an unconscious effort. A by-product of being a student of life. Of being curious. Of being unwilling to stop thinking.

Some people are just not born to be Muslim. Some people have a wilder lust for the world and an animal 'fear of the trap' that makes resistance to systems of life like Islam part of their very being. And that's perhaps more typical of adolescence than adulthood. Maybe I got out just in time, before I made a terrible compromise to my existence. I can't really speak for emotional attachments in this case, but I can maybe explain why Islam is not even remotely attractive to me except maybe as a chew toy when I’m bored.

First, the theological claims of Islam have been proven to be false again and again by people much more informed and eloquent than me. Simply by its own internal inconsistencies and fallacies as a work of literature, the Quran is self-refuting. Poorly written, poorly structured, profoundly lacking in original insight and depth, contradictory to the point of needing its own ad hoc system of abrogation, it is a featherweight compared to equivalent works in other traditions. Keep in mind that the Quran is allegedly the unaltered words of a god, verbatim. So sure are Muslims of this that they have fetishised the Quran to the point of becoming a self-parody. To the point of having an existential crisis (and sometimes even to the point of violence) if it is defaced or disrespected.

The Quran only makes matters worse for itself by being such an arrogant work. Making bold claims of perfection, challenging its reader to find better; "Whoever denies it, let him produce a similar one." The human authors of Islam painted themselves into a corner by proclaiming it to be no less than the Final Testament from the God of Abraham, and further, that Mohammed was the seal prophet, appointed to confirm, correct, complete and give closure to the prophesies that came before. It's an incredibly conceited and short-sighted thing to do, but quite understandable when you take into account the apocalyptic doomsayer culture it was born from, authored by those who thought the world would end ages ago, perhaps even in their own lifetime. And of course, it didn't end. And so, the supposed measure of divine wisdom revealed in the Quran uncannily resembles the superstitious and ignorant views of the men of that period, frozen in time.

The authors of Islam have essentially tied their own hands and, by extension, the hands of future Muslims – trapping them in a rigid narrative prison with only limited source material to draw upon. This is the price to pay for writing the final words of God in the dark ages. Slim pickings indeed.

Hence why so many Muslim careers have been made on spin and mitigation, bogus philosophy and pseudoscience, trying to find or manufacture hidden meaning behind exhausted and defunct lines of text that have simply not aged well, trying to exploit the wiggle room in its more ambiguous verses. We end up with the so-called scientific miracles of the Quran, various strained numerology attempts and desperate pattern seeking. It's all so forced and contrived.

A sad and pitiful attempt to keep the Quran relevant in a world that's already moved on.

Maybe millennia ago when books were simply not available the Quran might have stood out as the most profound and pertinent thing heard in that region, but what are people's excuses these days? You can walk into any library or bookshop and take a random book off of the shelf and prove this point: the Quran has not stood the test of time. It has been outshined, outclassed, outmatched by superior written works. Superseded and even preceded by great poets and orators who have already said any of its meaningful content a thousand times in a thousand ways, and conveyed it more eloquently and succinctly.

In the grander scope of the world stage, the Quran relies almost entirely on its exotic and foreign flavour to lend it any mysterious power. And this exotic allure has been taken hostage by Muslims. God, apparently, only speaks in Classical Arabic now. The Quran cannot be translated. It is no longer the Quran once translated.

The Message for all people and for all time, the perfect and Final Testament of God, that shines clear and evidently true to all, unaltered since its original revelation, on which the fate of our immortal souls rest upon, can only ever be understood in an ancient Middle-Eastern regional dialect. This is layer upon layer of absurdity.

What exactly is the Message? What could be so important that the Grand Architect of the Universe took time out of its schedule to communicate with humanity for the very last time? What's all the boasting about?

Never before has one boasted so much about so little.

A mediocre oral tradition, at best, which pertains only to a small province of a single planet over a narrow span of time, that cannot even remain relevant in that short timespan without abrogating itself.

Annals of petty local feuds, regional drama, and the defunct tribal taboos of an ignorant culture that thought the earth was flat. Randomly interspersed with reworked myths. Doubling as an instruction manual for holy war and a constitution for the mundane micro-management of a growing empire and future conquest. Marketed primarily to secure the interest and loyalty of fighting men, wherein it divides spoils of war in great detail, blesses the taking of sex slaves, screws women over for eternity, ultimately promising a paradise men's club for the obedient and diligent, tempting them with superficial material prizes and wealth and, of course, puts a little extra aside for the main player, Mohammed.

Now, I love a good myth. A good saga. Larger than life characters, heroes and villains, champions and monsters, love, honour, bravery, tragedy, deceit, epic swashbuckling human drama. Good old fashioned storytelling really lights me up. In Islam, mythology is a cheap knock off. What the authors of the Quran have managed to do, in the process of plagiarising and cannibalising every tradition that came before, is to ruin great myths. And its biggest crime is surgically removing any modicum of humour from them. Sterilising them to fit in with The Plan.

It has a complete inability to laugh at itself. Islam is where great myths go to die. It is a graveyard of broken myths. One seeking true adventure would do well to follow the trail of breadcrumbs back to the originals it has stolen from. See for yourself the hatchet job those ham-fisted bastards did. This plagiarising is common to its sibling Judeo-Christian religions too. But at least the Christian mythology has the trippy, malaria-fever odyssey of the Book of Revelation. And the Gospel According to John (KJV) kinda reads like a fireside story if you squint your eyes a bit.

What about philosophy in the Quran? Here is what I can write about the philosophy in the Quran: Nothing. There's nowhere to start. Islam is philosophically sterile. It's almost as though philosophy didn't even exist as a great tradition hundreds of years earlier, almost like Islam evolved in a philosophical vacuum. The measure of its failings is revealed when any analysis of the Quran is cross referenced with superior works, some even older. Side by side, we see a child's finger painting next to the Mona Lisa. It's almost funny. What a pathetic, infantile stab in the dark at philosophy Islam offers us. What kind of unfortunate and simplistic proto-mind can be satisfied by it? What appetite do I have that otherwise intelligent and respectable Muslims do not? It is a mystery to me. I am literally baffled at the hold these desert fairy tales have over people to this day. How amazing it would be if something so vapid and mundane would placate my wondering mind.

As a system of life Islam takes so much from you. It takes from you and gives back nothing you can't drink elsewhere from cleaner streams. You're diving for pearls in poisoned waters. It traps Muslims in a rigid spiritual prison.

A good, subservient, observant Muslim has her or his spiritual journey restricted by the ruleset of Islam. It is not only restricted, but ruthlessly policed by an all seeing eye. There is the overbearing knowledge that you will be judged according to a specific and set standard. You are held back. You are compelled in some cases to fight against your own good conscience, do things no good person should do, for no other reason than: it says so in a book I think is awesome. Like the wise man Jason Bourne once said, "Do you even know why you're supposed to kill me? Look at what they make you give."

As an institution, Islam is systematically responsible for some of the worst human rights violations in the world. It is no coincidence. These things don't just happen to be occurring in Muslim nations. These are the logical conclusions of the directives of Islam, the divine will of a fantasy war god that ancient clerics and superstitious folk decided to name "Allah."

These things are the cornerstones of its tradition: subdue, suppress, assert, aggress, spread, dehumanise opposition, demonise dissent, sustained by the unwavering and chauvinistic faith in the ascendancy and supremacy of a chosen people. And the sum of all this is vomited out into the world as a political and social movement that opposes democracy and liberal, free-thinking and freedom of expression, with the sole aim of replacing it with an unquestioned and unchallenged totalitarian ideology. This is something I would not want to believe in, support, or swear allegiance to, even if it were miraculously and irrefutably revealed to be of divine behest. Even if Allah himself descended from his throne and wrote proof of his existence across the sky, I'd distance myself from the ponzi scheme as a matter of principle.

I honestly don't think I ever did manage to rationalise the immorality in the Quran. As soon as I actually found out about Mohammed and his sleazy, violent, entitled and indulgent life, the spell was broken. Utterly and irreparably. How anyone with a working conscience, a love of humanity and want for equality and respect can read about the life of Mohammed and remain impressed – or worse, in full awe of the man – is a mystery to me. Especially as a woman. The more I learned about the Prophet, the more I found him repulsive even for a man of his time. That, and reading the Quran itself. So many obscene verses and unjustifiable commands that it's impossible to remain enchanted once seen. Magnified a thousand times in the context of an abusive environment, experiencing first-hand the fruits of that toxic manual. I don't think it ever occurred to me to rationalise it, only to dream harder, make plans for my own destiny and escape that physical and emotional prison.

I flirted with Islam again when I was a little older. With the mindset that, while disgusting and polluted and anathema to real humanity, perhaps there is some deeper truth missed by the misogynist, the supremacist, the predator, the charlatan, who use that book to such great effect. This was at a point when I seriously needed spiritual and moral guidance. But there was none to be found in Islam. Spiritual guidance in Islam is only to be found in those unique individual Muslims who have a very generous and selective interpretation of its traditions. Ones who put being a good person first before being a good Muslim. Good despite Islam, not because of it.

So ultimately, I was faced with that choice of being a good person or being a good Muslim. A human being cannot be both in my eyes. These two things are at opposite ends of the scale for me.

To be an obedient, observant Muslim, you must sacrifice your humanity. You must surrender to a divine will, swear honest fealty to it, without doubt, without questioning. To be a good person you must not only renounce many of the central tenets of Islam, but you must also openly oppose them, wherever they manifest in the world. Then, and only then, can you claim to be a good human with me.

Or, you can compromise – live some kind of half-life, a contradictory creature, torn between faith and your own conscience, drifting this way and that amid your own confused and unbalanced inner equilibrium, fooling yourself that you are free, and valued, and precious to non-existent higher power.

You can pretend that you love an unlovable god, pretend that such a hateful god could ever love you, try to salvage some validation and purpose, some salvation from a book that gives you a little and then takes a lot more. All the time harbouring a self-loathing, a deep rooted knowledge that you are a slave to that same higher power, with your mind shackled and your heart held back from true human interaction, under his ever-present gaze and scrutiny.

That's no life for me. That isn't living.

The more I pulled away from that hideous Abrahamic concept of a supreme god, the more alive and vital I was in this gorgeous universe. I was free to be me, the person inside, perfect with all my flaws, comfortable in my own skin, no longer a mind-slave to the dark age ideologies imagined up by sadistic and insane monsters of history, no longer led along by the nose like cattle, no longer living according to the dogma spelled out by long-dead fools whose ideas belong in the graveyard of failed human endeavours, throwbacks to the infancy of our species. The umbilical cord that holds back the ascendancy and mastery of our own spirits and minds must be cut. We've crawled along on our belly for too long under religion. We should be walking on our own by now, running by now. We could even be flying by now.

There are better role models in this beautiful world than the so-called Prophet. There are better contributions to the knowledge of the world than the cancerous, poisoned chalice known as the Quran. There is better wisdom out there to find, to add to your own spiritual alchemy, better philosophies, better revelations, better discoveries, better poetic and artistic expression, better hopes and dreams to be had, better love and passions, a much richer, fuller existence – all eclipsed while you are under the black cloud of Islam. Better religions, even.

Everything good that is in me is from elsewhere.

There were times when I almost hated Islam for the life it denied me for so long, never knowing my potential as a member of the human race. I know that potential now. I can taste it, feel it, appreciate it like never before. I penetrated that black cloud like the chick breaking out of the egg. It was like opening my eyes for the first time to a whole new alphabet of feeling and emotion. Like seeing in colour after a lifetime of black and white.

I reject Islam wholeheartedly. I made my choice. I chose to try and be a good person instead of trying to be a good Muslim. The main symptom of doing so was feeling the weight lift off as each and every facet of Islam fell away from me. I have learned I no longer have to surrender my body, mind and soul to the god of the Prophet's desires, dreams and delusions, and I have realised that I wont be punished for made-up crimes in an imaginary afterlife if I choose not to surrender.

I'll never go back to Islam. Never. I would be a fool to even entertain the idea. I've shed my skin already. My journey has only just begun, my journey of life, with new blood running through me, new verve, new growth, new days, and new hope for the first time – true, tangible hope and possibilities. And with Islam in my rear-view mirror, I have no shame for who I am. No pity for myself, no more fears, no more tears and no regrets. Tried, tested, built to last. The sum of my parts.

This journey of life I am forever grateful for and I can't begin to describe how excited I am. I can only show those close to me, those making the journey with me. And to those who accept me for who I am and what I am, I will share myself; naked, unashamed, with arms wide open.

Written by: Ishina, for the CEMB blog.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #11 - July 05, 2015, 08:03 AM

^Brilliant introduction, I arrived here a little too late to enjoy any of Ishina's posts.  I think I remember Three also made a good intro, I will check
     Reply #12 - July 05, 2015, 10:16 PM

Ishina must be the atheist god's gift to the world, I'm half convinced she was born on Christmas day. Where are you Ishina? Come back to CEMB Cry

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #13 - July 06, 2015, 04:13 AM

I haven't come out to my family but I've told my best friend who is quite religious. When I told her I did it by text. I sent her a loooong message telling her how I feel about Islam (in the nicest way possible) and she replied "Don't talk to me ever again."
    My heart dropped. Then she adds "Hahahaha just kidding!"

I wanted to kill her!

free |frē| - Not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes.
     Reply #14 - July 06, 2015, 08:31 AM

Ishina must be the atheist god's gift to the world, I'm half convinced she was born on Christmas day. Where are you Ishina? Come back to CEMB Cry

She reminds me of my sister..  i'm waiting for the day she writes a coming out story, will be a long time though as she enjoys living as a muslim, some do..
     Reply #15 - December 04, 2015, 08:02 PM

My parents don't know, my father's sister doesn't know and my father's religious cousin doesn't know.

The above are pretty religious, with my parents getting more so in the Middle East.

I'm scared to come out, because who knows what will happen. I distinctly recall my mother saying those who leave Islam will be killed, when I was a kid. Convenient that I forgot about that until I lost my faith.
     Reply #16 - January 22, 2018, 04:43 PM

Hello, my fellow apostates!

I've started writing a blog about leaving Islam. You can read the rest on http://diariesofanexmuslim.blogspot.com/ but here is the first part that become my stepping stone.
     thnkyu

Journey away from Islam part 1
    It’s been quite a journey for me to get here and I so I do apologise if I don’t go into full detail, however, my struggle out of Islam has taken me on a long narrow path to intellectual enlightenment and meaning for life. For the past 23 years I’ve been a moderate (if there is ever such a thing) Muslim compared to my extended family as I had the privilege of growing up in a secular country. What I mean when I describe myself as a ‘moderate Muslim’ is by the standard average regular Muslim that you might see or know. The one who prays, fasts during Ramadan and celebrates Eid but has never read the sharia law or the hadith in detail. I admit it, I was naive and unaware of the fundamental principles of Islam and the reason for it was because I inherited my religion as I suspect most Muslims have. I was never given the opportunity to really question what it means to be a Muslim and why I believed the things I do. It was ‘you’re a Muslim, Prophet Mohamed is the last messenger, you have to pray 5 times a day and fast’ and you can’t colour between the lines. It was a robotic cycle of what I was brainwashed to believe if I was to ever escape from burning in the everlasting hellfire. So for 23 years I allowed myself to be lied to until I went to Somalia. Everything changed. I changed.
    It’s funny looking back to my first day coming to Somalia how many rules I violated. I was the only person without a hijab or a long abaya on. For those of you who aren’t familiar what an abaya is, it’s a long traditional dress that’s often black and very long. It kinda reminds me of the Harry Potter cloaks but minus the wand and magic. Nowadays, you may have seen some abaya’s that are bright in colour or the new kinds with a lot of lace on them to make it look extra fancy. That’s today’s so-called modern Muslim feminist trying to push their agenda to dull the masses into thinking that such clothes are fact ‘liberating’ rather than ‘oppressing’ them but, hey what do I know, right?
     So, let me take it back to when I was on the plane. So far, no one looked at me funny so I didn’t think anything of it. Little did I know what a mistake I was making. Once I got off the plane and made my way through the terminal doors every single person had their eyes on me. I tried distracting myself as I waited for my bags but I can feel a million eyes burn into me and I felt powerless. I became uncomfortable in my own body and wanted to nothing more than to disappear. Whilst I was racking my brain on why Somali men act like wild animals compared to their male counterparts around the world, I felt a tight grab on my upper arm. I turn to look who it was and luckily it was only my uncle.
    ‘Stand at the back, I will get your bags’ was all he said. There were no hugs or any ‘How’s the flight?’ There was no warmth or joy in his tone and I got the feeling he didn’t like my presence at all. I gave up trying to create a conversation with him and decided to walk towards the back to where the rest of my family was waiting…
     Reply #17 - January 23, 2018, 09:23 PM

Hello, my fellow apostates!

I've started writing a blog about leaving Islam. You can read the rest on http://diariesofanexmuslim.blogspot.com/ but here is the first part that become my stepping stone.

I tried to write a comment of support on your blog and it did't work. Just an FYI.

But my comment just said, "I support you!"

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men (and women) to do nothing" -Edmund Burke
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »