Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Unitarian congregations welcome you

(Read 6111 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Unitarian congregations welcome you
     OP - November 21, 2011, 06:37 PM

Smiley

Whether you consider yourself a Muslim, ex-Muslim or just dissatisfied with what mosques and Muslim congregations have to offer you, you are welcome to join your local Unitarian church (in Ireland, Unitarian churches are called Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Churches and in the USA Unitarian Universalist Churches). I have been involved in the Unitarian movement for about 20 years and before then had many Unitarian friends. Details of all Unitarian congregations in the UK (churches and fellowships) can be found on our national website. Our holiday and conference centre, the Nightingale Centre in Great Hucklow, Derbyshire could be a great place to get together in a safe and supportive environment.

Please note that, unlike traditional Christian churches we won't try to "convert" you to (or from) one religion to another and we won't make you feel that you have done anything "wrong" in wanting to find something new. Many of our members still attend other places of worship or are in (or are the result of) mixed marriages.

We are open to people of all religions and none. We accept new members as individuals and don't discriminate on the basis of sex, race, sexual orientation, nationality, age, etc..  

I am writing this because I am very angry at the way in which many people are treated within Islam. Ironically, one of the best sermons I have heard came from a Sufi teacher in one of our Scottish churches. I just wished all British Muslims had the opportunity to experience that kind of service.

Today I found on the website of an NHS hospital an advertisement for a MALE Muslim volunteer to lead prayers in the hospital, as part of the chaplaincy service. What, I wondered, is the legality of such a request? Supposing some of the patients only want a female leader?
  • Re: Unitarian congregations welcome you
     Reply #1 - November 21, 2011, 06:42 PM

Are your services anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohmhZVjaqQo

If they are, I am so there. If not.. well, never mind.
     Reply #2 - November 21, 2011, 06:42 PM

May I welcome your arrival to this forum with a whole hearted fuck you.

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #3 - November 21, 2011, 07:52 PM

Welcome EastMidlands Smiley From what I have seen and heard about the UUs, I respect the people in it. I don't particularly feel the need for being part of such a community at this point, but if I ever did, I would explore Unitarian Universalism before almost any other community. I like the positive, supportive, community-based feel of many of the UU spaces I've seen, without the dogma, though of course there are diverse views within UU communities.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #4 - November 21, 2011, 08:34 PM

Are your services anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohmhZVjaqQo

If they are, I am so there. If not.. well, never mind.

Grin Grin Grin That's totally awesome. Sheer genius. grin12

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #5 - November 21, 2011, 08:34 PM

Not sure that was required.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #6 - November 26, 2011, 12:34 PM

I know he comes accross like a proselytizing crypto-baptist or someting.. but from what I've been lead to believe, universalist unitarianism seems to be a kind of amorphous inter-faith community where in reality all the members are some manner of pantheists or deist... Fairly hippyish stuff. It's probably not a bad transitional place for people leaving a hard line religious community, on their way to atheism, i they can't handle living without a spiritual community of some kind.

Though on the other hand I've never been into ne of their "churches" so I'm not sure if my perception is accurate
     Reply #7 - November 29, 2011, 11:27 AM

Not sure that was required.

I don't take well to people joining to proselytise their own delusion as a replacement for another, it really pisses me off.

The person didn't post anything about themself at all, it was entirely promotional for their "church." - They may as well have just posted an image to a pre-printed leaflet.

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #8 - November 29, 2011, 12:51 PM

Well on the one hand the Unitarians are so nice, rational and unsectarian and then on the other hand it was a very blatant spam which was a bit insulting and opportunistic.  Barbed welcome justified.

But I love 'em to bits. Even though some of them still believe that there was an actual person called Jesus.  I think I like 'em mainly cause they're heretics and the history of them being persecuted by the mainstream Trinitarian Christianity just for saying that Trinitarian theology was a load of BXXLLXXKs, gets my empathy.

And many of them were martyred for trying to be slightly more rational than the orthodoxy of the time.

The view is all right from here, still sitting on the fence. I can still laugh at that whole hearted welcome. Cheesy

"And you, you are a fantasy, a view from where you'd like to think the world should see, just be true, and you will likely find a few building a vision, doing justice to our times."
    Roy Harper, addressing the doorstep evangelists, dawa-doers and other self-appointed representitives.
     Reply #9 - December 02, 2011, 05:28 AM

Roll Eyes

I don't take well to people joining to proselytise their own delusion as a replacement for another, it really pisses me off.

Getting pissed off at UUs is like getting angry at a kitten. They're harmless.

The person didn't post anything about themself at all, it was entirely promotional for their "church." - They may as well have just posted an image to a pre-printed leaflet.

This part I agree with. It wasn't an intro as much as an ad.

fuck you
     Reply #10 - May 17, 2015, 05:04 PM

actually i find them quite interesting, specially how they handle "the hell Problem",  and the acceptance of different communities, it is interesting to see how religion evolve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e88dSX6P9Kk
     Reply #11 - May 17, 2015, 05:31 PM

Thanks for posting that Hatoush.

I really couldn't fault anything said there.

I found myself in complete agreement.
     Reply #12 - May 17, 2015, 07:50 PM

I attended a Unitarian church once some time ago. They were actually quite nice. They asked me to teach the children how to write "Allah" in Arabic. But one of the boys was more interested in learning to write "Do Not Enter" in Arabic to hang on his bedroom door, so I showed him that too. Grin
     Reply #13 - May 17, 2015, 10:15 PM

Lol
     Reply #14 - May 17, 2015, 11:06 PM

I agree with therationalizer, the "intro" post wasn't an intro, it was an advert for a church. Maybe it is a church with a less psychologically toxic theology, but it's still a religious institution. It is just substituting one religious dogma for another. And as for the OP's claim that "unlike traditional Christian churches we won't try to "convert" you to (or from) one religion to another and we won't make you feel that you have done anything "wrong" in wanting to find something new", then what was the point of posting? No church shames you for "wanting something new" so long as that new thing is THEM. If you want something new that is the opposite of them, tho, that's a problem.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #15 - May 17, 2015, 11:15 PM

Fair point gal Smiley
     Reply #16 - May 17, 2015, 11:25 PM

The Unitarian church in Plymouth, UK is an amazing building! ...>

Interesting inside too ...>

Reply #17 - May 17, 2015, 11:25 PM

Reply #18 - May 18, 2015, 03:59 AM

Thanks for posting that Hatoush.

I really couldn't fault anything said there.

I found myself in complete agreement.

I find them interesting as they remind me of another religious movement that started a long time ago in Arabia Smiley

it was an ecumenical movement, they did not totally reject the old scriptures, but they end up writing a new one which subtly introduce some new concepts , they rejected the divinity of Jesus though they accepted him as a prophet,  after some success they end up as a new religion.

Reply #19 - May 18, 2015, 09:28 AM

Are Unitarian Christians technically Muslims?

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?34551-Are-Unitarian-Christians-technically-Muslims
     Reply #20 - May 18, 2015, 09:49 AM

I remember reading the early christians rejected the divinity of jesus and the trinity, can't remember their names though ?
     Reply #21 - May 18, 2015, 10:03 AM

Suki: I just finished watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQ2TS1CiDY&list=PL279CFA55C51E75E0

It's a playlist by Yale, basically they've videotaped several of their courses and they posted them on youtube. This one is about the huge differences between early Christian groups, and how those are expressed in the different canonical and non-canonical Christian texts. It's an entire university semesters' worth of lectures, so definitely keep in mind that it will take some time to get through it, and also it's at a higher intensity level than people who haven't been to uni may be familiar with (not saying you or anyone else specifically, just putting it out there--this is the internet and stuff stays here basically forever), but it has a lot of really good insight into what's happening in the field from a scholarly perspective.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #22 - May 18, 2015, 10:26 AM

Naw, too lazy.. read up on it all before, just been a decade or so ago since i have and my brain doesn't seem store info very well  : /   Was just wondering what inspired the Unitarian movement that's all, perhaps early chrisitanity, or the protestant reformation ..  not that it will improve my life knowing the details... lol

thnx gal  !
    x
     Reply #23 - May 18, 2015, 10:50 AM

interesting question, according to Quran (alone), Muslim means any one who believe in God and the day of Judgement, that's why Muslim keeps saying  Adam, Jesus, Moses and Abraham were Muslims, which is obvious. as it assumed that they are monotheist ( yes you don't need to believe in  Muhammed as a messenger to be a Muslim)

now somehow,  200 years later, a hadith started to be circulated, and  Mu' min ( believer) become Muslim,  and Jews and christian suddenly are out from the movement.

Reply #24 - May 18, 2015, 01:52 PM

Cheesy
    and still laughing...
     Reply #25 - May 18, 2015, 04:05 PM

I find them interesting as they remind me of another religious movement that started a long time ago in Arabia Smiley

it was an ecumenical movement, they did not totally reject the old scriptures, but they end up writing a new one which subtly introduce some new concepts , they rejected the divinity of Jesus though they accepted him as a prophet,  after some success they end up as a new religion.

Are we getting to an agreed conclusion?

Syncretic set of beliefs, tweaked by a specific community, nicked concepts of a warlord from another region entirely, later got all "I'm more truthy than you are"?

Jeddah is rudely fortified, and in 1817 it beat off thousands of wild Wahhabis or Arab Puritans.

http://www.wollamshram.ca/1001/Guide/guide.htm

A classic anthropological text compares varieties of Islam

http://www.scribd.com/doc/260028050/Clifford-Geertz-Islam-Observed-Religious-Development-in-Morocco-and-Indonesia-Phoenix-Books-University-of-Chicago-Press-1971#scribd

And on UU, didn't they have a squabble with the Quakers?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »