Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: I Love Irshad Manji

(Read 1954 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I Love Irshad Manji
     OP - June 05, 2015, 05:02 PM

Great response to being asked:

"Are you really a Muslim?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr01-xTGt_k
  • I Love Irshad Manji
     Reply #1 - June 05, 2015, 05:07 PM

I can't help noticing that some of the voices I admire most in the debate around Islam are women i.e. Maryam Namazie, Irshad Manji, and I'm going to include Berbs and Allat...  Kiss
  • I Love Irshad Manji
     Reply #2 - June 05, 2015, 05:41 PM

When I've read what Musafa Akyol(who is secular liberal) has written and the watched videos of him speaking, I do think that he's a believer in Islam.
  • I Love Irshad Manji
     Reply #3 - June 05, 2015, 05:44 PM

Smack down!
  • I Love Irshad Manji
     Reply #4 - June 05, 2015, 11:42 PM

I learned about the concept of itjihad, or critical thinking in Islam from Irshad Manji. She is definitely worth listening to.
  • I Love Irshad Manji
     Reply #5 - June 06, 2015, 09:45 AM

Well tbh Islamic theology is not her strong point.

But it doesn't matter, since her view of Islamic reform doesn't really depend on it.
  • I Love Irshad Manji
     Reply #6 - June 06, 2015, 10:11 AM

The rabbi raised an important question on how much(or if) Irshad Manji can have an impact on muslims. Same question can be asked of others such as Maajid Nawaz (and others).
  • I Love Irshad Manji
     Reply #7 - June 06, 2015, 12:04 PM

A lot is talked about that Skywalker my friend.

I say it doesn't matter. What will be will be. Maybe zero impact maybe a lot more than you can imagine.

It matters only that they try. If others have betters ideas let them go for it.

"Nothing we do matters,  it only matters that we do it. "

You must do what you feel is right.
  • I Love Irshad Manji
     Reply #8 - June 06, 2015, 01:27 PM

I think a group of devout believers should make the arguments, but not call it 'reform' or an attempt to modernize Islam.Its possible that Islam maybe an evolutionary stable strategy and if that's true, it explains then why Maajid Nawaz,Irshad Manji and others face a wall.

There could be some resources from Islamic tradition that can be used by believers to end the use of hudud for instance. I wrote this last year:

I remember thinking about this several years ago: Could the law on treaties in Sharia be used to get rid of the Hudud(the penal code of Islamic law). If Im not wrong, all muslim countries have signed and ratified treaties against torture. Considering the fact that the prophet put priority of the treaty over converts who he sent back to Quraish as part of Hudaybiyyah deal, and because of the same deal, released those who left Islam, do you think it's a convincing argument against the hudud in the modern muslim world. The argument should become stronger for those who believe in the death penalty for apostasy, exactly because of the fact that the Hudaybiyyah treaty relates to this.

Also, almost all(Saudiarabia being the exception) countries in the muslim world have signed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The argument will not work for Takfiris, who would declare the regimes that signed those treaties as apostates, but it should work within the mainstream who believe that Sharia cannot be separated from politics

As for killing a dhimmi unlawfully, it is major sin, and the warning concerning that is very stern, as was proven in Saheeh al-Bukhaari (3166) from ?Abd-Allaah ibn ?Amr (may Allaah be pleased with him) who narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ?Whoever killed a mu?aahid will not smell the fragrance of Paradise, although its fragrance may be detected from a distance of forty years? travel.? Imam al-Bukhaari included this report in a chapter in his Saheeh entitled ?Chapter: the sin of one who kills a mu?aahid unlawfully.?

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This is how he defined it in the heading. This idea is based on the principles of sharee?ah and it is also stated in the report of Abu Mu?aawiyah which mentions it with the words, ?unlawfully?, and in the hadeeth narrated by al-Nasaa?i and Abu Dawood from Abu Bakrah with the words ?Whoever kills a mu?aahid soul that is not permissible, Allaah will deprive him of Paradise.?

Isn't Mu'ahid anyone protected by treaty. In the case of the treaty of Hudaybiyyah, that seems to be the case.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Infact I think the rest of the world should DEMAND that that Islamic states that have signed treaties and conventions should honor their word. It should be said to those countries that not honoring treaties means that the word of Islam can not be trusted if they don't honor those treaties.
  • I Love Irshad Manji
     Reply #9 - June 06, 2015, 01:46 PM

Reform from within the traditional paradigm is no longer possible.
  • I Love Irshad Manji
     Reply #10 - June 06, 2015, 04:31 PM

One must break with tradition to have a reform as a catalyst. Without this break the only environment around is one in which tradition is already accepted as correct. You example is breaking with current traditional views using the same source material but with a different view. This only creates a new form of Islam rather than reforming traditional Islam as it is. It is just how Protestantism emerged as its own version of Christianity. It never reformed the old version itself, Catholicism. Catholicism only reformed due to external pressures rather than any motivation found in the majority of it's members.
  • I Love Irshad Manji
     Reply #11 - June 06, 2015, 11:37 PM

"There could be some resources from Islamic tradition that can be used by believers to end the use of hudud for instance. I wrote this last year:"

except Saudi Arabia and maybe afganistan, where those hudud are applied ?
  • I Love Irshad Manji
     Reply #12 - June 07, 2015, 05:05 AM

Its applied in Sudan,Mauritania, Aceh province, Iran and Pakistan(which had a conviction but not application). There's also caning in Malaysia, one based on Sharia and the other based on secular law.

Malaysia also has a separate system of Sharia courts, which can order canings for Muslim men and women. This kind of caning is rarely implemented, and is quite different from, and much less severe than, judicial caning under Malaysian criminal law. It is intended to be shaming rather than particularly painful. The punishment is carried out in an enclosed area, away from the view of the public. The cane used is smaller as compared to the one used for judicial canings. The offender is fully dressed and receives the punishment on his or her back; men remain standing while receiving the punishment while women are seated. The caning is administered by an officer of the same gender as the recipient. Each stroke is executed with moderate force so as not to break the skin, and the caning officer delivers the punishment with a "limp wrist" and without raising his or her hand. A medical officer is also present throughout the procedure.[15][24]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Malaysia#Sharia_caning
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »