Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Depressed rant

(Read 3055 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Depressed rant
     OP - May 11, 2015, 01:13 PM

So, yeah, hi. Helloooooo! Uhmm... how goes it with youse! *ahem ahem*  wacko Been lurking for a while, and I thought I'd finally join this warm, knowledgeable community.  grin12  grin12

Anywhooooooo... I've been an atheist for close to five years now. I still live in a Muslim country. Cry I'm an undergraduate studying to become a "highly skilled" professional so I can escape this shithole. But I'm suicidally depressed. I just feel so angry at everybody around me, so I isolate myself completely from everybody and everything because almost everything they say or do is somehow guided by their moronic, racist, mysogynist, ciscentric, etc. worldviews. And I feel so humiliated having to play along. I mean I am occasionally open about some of my less popular opinions about, say, feminism and LGBT rights and shit (and oh what fun that sometimes gets me), but I never had the courage to actually declare my atheism except to a couple of friends that now live elsewhere, for (quite prudent) fear of finding myself in jail/a hospital bed, so I often find myself smiling against my will at a dumb comment about a woman in short sleeves or something then (quite rightly) blaming myself for being part of the problem.

I thought it'd get better with time, I thought if I'd learn to lead a double-life or become more out-spoken and to hell with the world or something, but I just keep sulking more and more until I'm letting people taunt me and abuse me and I don't even care, they've taken away my dignity, without even trying, and I feel it's my fault for not clinging to it hard enough, you know. There are other, braver atheists in my country, their lives are hell, but at least they're living. And I used to be such a sociable, intelligent, strong-willed person too, "gifted" they called me. And they'd certainly blame it on me leaving their wretched religion if I ever confronted them. I'm doing very poorly in my studies, and I'm considering dropping out altogether, which would mean I'd need to kiss my already far-fetched dreams of immigrating to a country where I can be myself goodbye.

Sorry for the admittedly sappy and out-of-place rant, but I just needed to vent and had nowhere to turn. Has anybody here been through something similar, especially those who grew up in a Muslim country? Does it get better?

Thanks for bearing with me! Hopefully my next contribution will be more productive!  Cheesy
  • Depressed rant
     Reply #1 - May 11, 2015, 01:21 PM

Welcome not_that_gay, 

don't give up your studies, that's your golden ticket out of there..    hang in there and let out all of your frustrations on this forum : )   

far away hug
  • Depressed rant
     Reply #2 - May 11, 2015, 01:33 PM

Welcome! I moved your thread over to the introductions board so we'll all know there's someone new to welcome to the forum.  yes

I'm so sorry to hear about how rough it's been for you...definitely don't blame yourself at all for having to play along. Not only is it not your fault at all, sometimes the best thing you can do is survive and live as an example to the people close to you. You don't necessarily need to become a martyr for the cause.

A lot of people here have been in similar circumstances, particularly with having to hide their atheism/apostasy and struggling with it. Stick around, this is a good place to vent. There's a lot of conversations going on right now, so just jump in.  parrot
  • Depressed rant
     Reply #3 - May 11, 2015, 04:34 PM

Welcome to the forum not_that_gay, have a rabbit!  bunny

Hmm, it sounds like a tough situation you're in. Still I think it would do you a lot of good to associate more with people, if not you agree with totally, but at least can find more tolerable and civil. Putting yourself in a position where you're subject to such scorn and ridicule will do nothing to aid you in your dream of moving abroad, not to mention the effect its having on your mental state.

Make that space for yourself where you can feel a bit more comfortable, and it will pay dividends. Also really glad to have such an intelligent and thoughtful new member in the community, so I look forward to seeing your contribution to the conversation!  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Depressed rant
     Reply #4 - May 11, 2015, 06:26 PM

Has anybody here been through something similar, especially those who grew up in a Muslim country? Does it get better?

Yes many here have been through similar things - even in non-Muslim countries like the UK where I am, many of us experience these things sadly.

And yes it does get better, so hang in there.

Suicide is not the answer even though it may sometimes seem an option. As someone who has been in that situation, I can tell you that staying the course and keep on going is something you will eventually realise was without doubt the best option and things will get better.

Welcome - you are amongst friends Smiley
  • Depressed rant
     Reply #5 - May 11, 2015, 08:54 PM

Welcome  parrot

Wish you all the best  far away hug
    hopefully you will find a way out.
  • Depressed rant
     Reply #6 - May 12, 2015, 12:01 AM

Welcome. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Depressed rant
     Reply #7 - May 12, 2015, 01:26 AM

I can't pretend to understand the ex-Muslim experience; but I've had the depression and (to a lesser extent) the existential confusion and frustration - so, 2/3.

Have you seen the Firefly series? I'd recommend watching that, to the end, and then the Serenity movie. To sum up: it might not matter what you end up believing in, as long as you don't end up believing in the abyss itself.
  • Depressed rant
     Reply #8 - May 12, 2015, 07:14 AM

Thank you all for all the warmth! I feel a lot better already. far away hug (<-- very expressive emoticon by the way!)
  • Depressed rant
     Reply #9 - May 12, 2015, 07:24 AM

I like this one better it is more personal.

hugs
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »