Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Book recommendation

(Read 2020 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Book recommendation
     OP - May 08, 2015, 02:54 AM

I've read a few books about evolution such as "Why Evolution is True" by Jerry Coyne and "Undeniable" by Bill Nye. I'm pretty much completely convinced that humans share a common ancestor with apes and (if you go back far enough) every other living organism, and that new species can arise as the differences between populations accumulate. The DNA evidence for this is remarkable and it would seem virtually impossible to explain all the accumulated "junk" in our DNA like genes for tails that aren't expressed in humans if one were to hold to a special creation for humans. I also understand mechanisms like natural selection and genetic drift on a rudimentary level and how combined with genetic mutations this can cause populations to change significantly over time.

However, I would like to read a book that explains how the mechanisms of evolution can form complex things like organs and organ systems. It boggles my mind when I learn about the complicated things human (and other animal) bodies can do and have to perform on a daily basis that are essential for survival and completely out of our conscious control. I totally understand the temptation to claim the complexity of living bodies requires design.

Any recommendations for books or other material that fits the bill? I think I'm willing to get into the nitty gritty part of evolutionary biology.

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
  • Book recommendation
     Reply #1 - May 08, 2015, 04:44 AM

Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson episode two. Watch it. For something more in depth but explained in simple terms search youtube for AronRa's videos on evolution. I was actually considering making a thread on AronRa and his work. It was actually through him I first heard about the whip-tailed lizards found in parts of the southern US (New Mexico, Arizona, Texas) and I think Mexico. Every living member of the species is female, and are quite literally an entire species of lesbian lizards. To reproduce one lizard will take on the role of a male of the species that no longer exists and the stimulation will prompt the receiving lizard to ovulate and lay eggs, going through the reproduction cycle. The result is that they're all clones of each other. Every lizard is basically the mother reproducing herself. It's pretty cool. Also, the next time an apologist asks if a mother can give birth to herself you can now say yes and give a real life example. Grin

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »