Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: What do you think?

(Read 4223 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What do you think?
     OP - April 30, 2015, 01:26 PM

This sentence just kinda came into my mind - not sure why lol - perhaps it's a revelation from God  grin12

If one is not truly prepared to examine beliefs on the basis that they could be false, how can one ever know they are true?

https://twitter.com/abdulazizbulbul/status/594108019123855361

Edit - Just tweeted it Smiley
  • What do you think?
     Reply #1 - April 30, 2015, 02:02 PM

I totally agree.

As for where you got it from, I’d bet you were probably influenced by the holy words.

Surat Restricted Clown

1. Oh ye Dahir, the restricted.
    2. With ignorance your mind has been afflicted.
    3. And your poor arguments were easily predicted.
    4. And you type like one on crack, addicted.
    5. Can you not understand a word that has been said?
    6. Can no logic penetrate your head?
    7. Or has every brain cell in your cranium died, leaving you completely brain dead?
    8. Nay, if you could only admit that you could be wrong.
    9. And take some time to read, and follow other views along.

10. You would realize that Allah is as fake as Godzilla and King Kong!
    11. Nay, you insist a god is a must.
    12. And that the concept of hell is just.
    13. But I swear by the sNaik and the Tortoise.
    14. That the universe does not have a purpose.
    15. And that you, oh Dahir, are a clown. You should leave the forum and join a circus.

• What do you think?
     Reply #2 - April 30, 2015, 02:14 PM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Afro
  • What do you think?
     Reply #3 - April 30, 2015, 02:16 PM

You should seriously publish these - they are solid gold  Cheesy
  • What do you think?
     Reply #4 - April 30, 2015, 08:33 PM

The wahhy will remain public. Wa laa tashtaru bi ayaatillahi thamanan qaleela.
  • What do you think?
     Reply #5 - April 30, 2015, 09:29 PM

Currently draining my ninth beer of the night and about to open my tenth, so bare with me.

I understand the sentiment but disagree with it. Convincing yourself something is true isn't the same as something being true. It's one of those lines that sound good in an 80's pop kind of way but that ultimately have no value. The sentence itself is worthless because the assumptions given are worthless.

Live for something or die for nothing. Pain doesn't show up in our lives for no reason. No matter where you go, there you are. When you lose something, it's always the last place you look. If you lived here, you'd already be home. If one is not truly prepared to accept that their religion could be false, they can never know it's true.

They sound profound but are actually bollocks. They're often so open ended that we automatically ascribe our own thoughts/opinions/meanings onto them.

Here's an example of what the above tries to be, but actually succeeds in doing: A gentleman never insults someone accidentally.

May have more insight to give when sober.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • What do you think?
     Reply #6 - April 30, 2015, 09:35 PM

What's the ABV on those beers? Grin
  • What do you think?
     Reply #7 - April 30, 2015, 09:54 PM

Kinda weak, 3.6%VOL. 3/4 through my 11th.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • What do you think?
     Reply #8 - April 30, 2015, 10:03 PM

Pints as well mind. Each one a pint.

• What do you think?
     Reply #9 - April 30, 2015, 10:07 PM

I'll join you tonight, friend. 5th Glass of essentially double your ABV, so we're just about even.  cheers
  • What do you think?
     Reply #10 - April 30, 2015, 10:31 PM

Psh. I'm Irish blood. I could drink you under the table.

• What do you think?
     Reply #11 - April 30, 2015, 10:53 PM

I'm actually part Irish as well.  Wink
  • What do you think?
     Reply #12 - April 30, 2015, 10:59 PM

Mashallah brother. Potato?

• What do you think?
     Reply #13 - April 30, 2015, 11:05 PM

With collard greens.
  • What do you think?
     Reply #14 - May 01, 2015, 12:55 PM

I have one beer over here, can I join u guys? Cheesy

Dogs never bite me - just humans. ~ M. Monroe

Religions seem to cause more grief than good.

Exmuslim Chat
  • What do you think?
     Reply #15 - May 01, 2015, 01:09 PM

Wa laa tashtaru bi ayaatillahi thamanan qaleela.

Hehe  grin12

I just want them to reach as wide an audience as possible  Afro
  • What do you think?
     Reply #16 - May 01, 2015, 01:11 PM

Currently draining my ninth beer of the night and about to open my tenth, so bare with me.

I understand the sentiment but disagree with it. Convincing yourself something is true isn't the same as something being true. It's one of those lines that sound good in an 80's pop kind of way but that ultimately have no value. The sentence itself is worthless because the assumptions given are worthless.

Live for something or die for nothing. Pain doesn't show up in our lives for no reason. No matter where you go, there you are. When you lose something, it's always the last place you look. If you lived here, you'd already be home. If one is not truly prepared to accept that their religion could be false, they can never know it's true.

They sound profound but are actually bollocks. They're often so open ended that we automatically ascribe our own thoughts/opinions/meanings onto them.

Here's an example of what the above tries to be, but actually succeeds in doing: A gentleman never insults someone accidentally.

You're drunk so I'm going to dismiss anything you say  Tongue
  • What do you think?
     Reply #17 - May 01, 2015, 01:12 PM

I'm actually part Irish as well.  Wink

Some Irish blood here too!
  • What do you think?
     Reply #18 - May 01, 2015, 01:12 PM

I have one beer over here, can I join u guys? Cheesy

No.
  • What do you think?
     Reply #19 - May 01, 2015, 01:34 PM

Oh alright ladybird... you can join us  far away hug
  • What do you think?
     Reply #20 - May 01, 2015, 01:35 PM

lol i love this post, Quods pretty deep after a few pints lol..  

Irish here too.
  • What do you think?
     Reply #21 - May 01, 2015, 02:50 PM

Yaay Hassan Smiley

although I shouldve bought more :/

Exmuslim Chat
  • What do you think?
     Reply #22 - May 01, 2015, 02:51 PM

Quods pretty deep after a few pints lol..  

Aren't I always? Grin

• What do you think?
     Reply #23 - May 01, 2015, 02:58 PM

Quod be an alcoholic and no one will even notice lol

Exmuslim Chat
  • What do you think?
     Reply #24 - May 01, 2015, 04:44 PM

If one is not truly prepared to examine beliefs on the basis that they could be false, how can one ever know they are true?

I agree 100%. The mind can jump through all sorts of hoops without you even realizing it. If false is not an option, why examine your beliefs in the first place? And without examining your beliefs, how can you be sure of anything? Actively trying to disprove a belief and failing is far more concrete than a pile of positive evidence alone could ever be. Even with inconclusive evidence that can be ignored or somehow explained away, things start getting tangled. At some point, you need to be prepared to accept a level of reasonable doubt.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
  • What do you think?
     Reply #25 - May 01, 2015, 05:13 PM

Actually I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here and how it relates to what I said - could you clarify a bit?
  • What do you think?
     Reply #26 - May 01, 2015, 05:17 PM

Actually I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here and how it relates to what I said - could you clarify a bit?

I doubt he can even remember what he was on about.  Wink
  • What do you think?
     Reply #27 - May 01, 2015, 05:26 PM

@Quod

All I'm saying here is if you refuse to accept your religion could be wrong then any examination of your belief is futile.

Not sure what the problem is?

• What do you think?
     Reply #28 - May 01, 2015, 05:31 PM

Muslims are always saying that they have looked rationally at Islam and studied different religions - but guess what? They came to the "rational" conclusion that Islam is true after all - well who would've guessed?

But the truth is that they were not willing to even entertain the possibility their religion could be wrong.

Their starting point was faith and certainty Islam is true. So their 'rational' study was just a sham and they have not arrived at the "Truth" - and never will.

They can't possibly know their religion is "True" - because they haven't examined it without allowing even the possibility it could be wrong - which defeats any examination before it's started.
  • What do you think?
     Reply #29 - May 01, 2015, 05:33 PM

Actively trying to disprove a belief and failing is far more concrete than a pile of positive evidence alone could ever be

Spot on!
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »