Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: David Cameron’s wonky cross

(Read 3043 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • David Cameron’s wonky cross
     OP - April 06, 2015, 07:59 PM

David Cameron, fishing for votes, has told an evangelical radio audience that he believes that the message of Easter involves “hard work and responsibility”. So what does he think really happened at the crucifixion? Who were the criminals nailed up on each side of Jesus? Skivers being sanctioned because they had missed their appointments at the job centre? Mr Cameron’s Christianity, as it is displayed in this interview, attempts to offend no one, and the result is an insult to Christianity and to all non-Christians as well.

It’s an insult to non-believers because the vague and fluffy list of virtues – kindness, compassion, and forgiveness as well as hard work and responsibility – have nothing distinctively Christian about them. He might as well have said that he gets his two legs from God. But it is insulting to Christians for exactly the same reason. The point of the Easter story, and especially of the crucifixion, is that none of these virtues is enough to save us. It is absolutely not a story of virtue rewarded and vice punished, but one of virtue scourged and jeered through the streets, abandoned by its friends and tortured in public to death.

Jesus did not really preach hard work, responsibility, or family values. He told his followers to consider the lilies of the field, to have no thought for the morrow, and to leave their father and mother to follow him. He came not to bring peace, but revolt. The Easter story makes even democracy look like an instrument of evil. It is the crowd who demand that Jesus be crucified and Pilate who goes along with them...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/02/guardian-view-easter-david-cameron-wonky-cross
     Reply #1 - April 07, 2015, 05:34 AM

Bizarre message of Easter from Cameron - most christians would focus on the resurrection and its associated symbolism of rebirth and renewal - The festival also has quite a lot of pre-christian accretions on a similar theme (like the eggs and even the name :-) and the Spring timing (for those in the Northern hemisphere) is surely no accident.

I think for most 'cultural christians' like me it is most especially associated with a 4 day weekend and hence the exact opposite of hard work :-)
  • David Cameron?s wonky cross
     Reply #2 - April 07, 2015, 07:59 AM

Cameron's visiting the set of Game of Thrones today, so presumably he's looking for the Westeros vote as well as the Christian one.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #3 - April 07, 2015, 03:33 PM

He may as well just have said:

"Easter is about lowering the top rate of tax to 40p"

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #4 - April 08, 2015, 02:35 PM

David Cameron, fishing for votes, has told an evangelical radio audience that he believes that the message of Easter involves “hard work and responsibility”. So what does he think really happened at the crucifixion? Who were the criminals nailed up on each side of Jesus? Skivers being sanctioned because they had missed their appointments at the job centre? Mr Cameron’s Christianity, as it is displayed in this interview, attempts to offend no one, and the result is an insult to Christianity and to all non-Christians as well.

It’s an insult to non-believers because the vague and fluffy list of virtues – kindness, compassion, and forgiveness as well as hard work and responsibility – have nothing distinctively Christian about them. He might as well have said that he gets his two legs from God. But it is insulting to Christians for exactly the same reason. The point of the Easter story, and especially of the crucifixion, is that none of these virtues is enough to save us. It is absolutely not a story of virtue rewarded and vice punished, but one of virtue scourged and jeered through the streets, abandoned by its friends and tortured in public to death.

Jesus did not really preach hard work, responsibility, or family values. He told his followers to consider the lilies of the field, to have no thought for the morrow, and to leave their father and mother to follow him. He came not to bring peace, but revolt. The Easter story makes even democracy look like an instrument of evil. It is the crowd who demand that Jesus be crucified and Pilate who goes along with them...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/02/guardian-view-easter-david-cameron-wonky-cross

To me it shows more a story of sacrificing for what you believe in. Not following the crowd, and upholding your values more than hard work per say. But don't say I know more than Dave does (sarcasm).
     Reply #5 - April 08, 2015, 04:57 PM

He may as well just have said:

"Easter is about lowering the top rate of tax to 40p"

Exactly!  Cheesy  Cheesy
     Reply #6 - April 08, 2015, 07:16 PM

Bloody Tories, I hope labour do well this general election, not that I'm a big fan of them. Lesser of the two evils.
     Reply #7 - April 09, 2015, 11:35 AM

Lol at the Jihadian I mean guardian bludgeoning the fuck out of Christianity whilst shouting "racism" and "islamophobia" from the rooftops over any criticism of Islamic Theology.
     Reply #8 - April 20, 2015, 04:36 PM

Exactly!  Cheesy  Cheesy

To be fair that was a jibe from me designed for cheap laughs. I am a centreground tory voter myself so there goes my integrity (not that I ever had much to start with).

Is this where I get the backlash? Ooops. whistling2

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #9 - April 20, 2015, 06:11 PM

Well I'm voting Lib Dem so I can't criticise anyone lol.

(I am supporting them only due to their promise to make more funding available for mental health. I'm hoping they won't break another promise - yes I voted for them previously on the basis of the promise not to raise tuition fees.)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »