Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Albert Camus in 10 minutes

(Read 7760 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Albert Camus in 10 minutes
     OP - April 19, 2015, 10:51 PM

Excellent introduction/refresher to the French-Algerian Philosopher, Albert Camus - I highly recommend you watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekxXvgbDr3M
     Reply #1 - April 20, 2015, 03:54 AM

Love it. Afro

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #2 - April 20, 2015, 06:14 AM

The Myth of Sisyphus is an argument against reason more so than it is against God and religion. Not that Camus is pro-religion. He's beyond religion and God, and writes more so for people who have already rejected God. He is more interested in criticizing any and all systems of knowledge and thought that seek to fit the universe into a human box.

"At this point of his effort man stands face to face with the irrational. He feels within him his longing for happiness and for reason. The absurd is born of this confrontation between the human need and the unreasonable silence of the world."
     Reply #3 - April 20, 2015, 07:42 AM

criticizing any and all systems of knowledge and thought that seek to fit the universe into a human box.

Have you read The Myth of Sisyphus, Abood? I'm thinking of ordering it from Amazon.

I love what I've heard about his philosophy so far.
     Reply #4 - April 20, 2015, 08:58 AM

pdf of The Rebel: https://libcom.org/files/The-Rebel-Albert-Camus.pdf

The part of his politics that tends to get edited out: https://libcom.org/library/albert-camus-anarchists

A longer article in French along the same lines: http://anarchismenonviolence2.org/IMG/article_PDF/article_89.pdf

Ecrits Libertaires (1948-1960), recently published and untranslated: http://www.indigene-editions.fr/esprit/albert-camus-ecrits-libertaires.html
    Justice pour Albert Camus, dont les écrits libertaires n’ont été identifiés que tardivement – ses œuvres complètes et ses biographes les ont longtemps ignorés. Cette méconnaissance a faussé nos idées sur l’écrivain préféré des Français .... Justice pour Lou Marin, le chercheur allemand qui a exhumé ces textes disséminés dans des revues en France, en Espagne, en Allemagne, en Argentine… Car c’est lui le vrai découvreur du Camus libertaire.....

It seems much of his shorter political writing after breaking with the PCF and then with Sartre has been ignored because it doesn't fit the narrative.
     Reply #5 - April 20, 2015, 12:02 PM

Have you read The Myth of Sisyphus, Abood? I'm thinking of ordering it from Amazon.

I have. It's the book that has single-handedly influenced me the most.

Have you ever had a spiritual experience, where you felt deeply connected to something bigger than you? The first spiritual experience I ever had was while reading The Myth of Sisyphus. I actually felt high while reading it. It was so overwhelming that I had to put it down and revisit it months later.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I owe Camus my entire life. I was in the worst place I had ever been in my life when I picked up that book, and it totally flipped me over.
     Reply #6 - April 20, 2015, 12:07 PM

Wow!

Thanks Abood. I shall hesitate no longer Smiley
     Reply #7 - April 20, 2015, 12:16 PM

Think i'll have some of that too...
     Reply #8 - April 20, 2015, 12:56 PM

I love what I've heard about his philosophy so far.

Think i'll have some of that too...

Junk readers  .. Junk ..Junk..Junk

Just kidding...  Cheesy     click the link

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #9 - April 20, 2015, 02:01 PM

Thanks Yeez - I was just about to look for that.
     Reply #10 - April 20, 2015, 02:04 PM

Afro
     Reply #11 - April 20, 2015, 02:10 PM

Preview of Ecrits Libertaires for anyone who reads French.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecrits-libertaires-1948-1960-Albert-Camus/dp/B00B9Q41IQ

Interview with his daughter, Catherine Camus, also in French.

http://www.cesar.fr/catherine-camus-317-2013
     Reply #12 - April 20, 2015, 03:30 PM

....- I was just about to look for that.

So some one wrote 
    "Albert Camus,  was hedonistic, libertarian, anarchist, anti-colonial and viscerally hostile to all forms of totalitarianism, shows from beginning to end his solar morality."

So how many of us who write regularly in to CEMB are like that? Well the times and lives of the people during his times( 1913 -1960) were tough(tougher than what they are now) and I would say  many of us will be like him if we were living in those times.

Off course I am sure none of us will be as thoughtful  and as elegant as he was in his short essays..   Well nice thing is.,  the world recognized his philosophical /literary  works and gave him that coveted Prize.. The Nobel Prize.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmXmWmTpDlQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dICwQHVqLZU

Anyways there was a website (which is closed now) where all his short story books pdf files were free available to public Now it is closed down.. So here are some Pdf files  those who would like to read him

I reserve my freedom to criticize  bad woks   and..and  cross  out bad headings .......

well I didn't say that he said it.,   I slightly modified   ...lol..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #13 - April 20, 2015, 06:04 PM

Junk readers  .. Junk ..Junk..Junk

Just kidding...  Cheesy     click the link

Thanks Yeezevee

x
     Reply #14 - April 28, 2015, 05:45 AM

Albert Camus is one of my favorite philosophers, his novel The Stranger is one of the best novels I've ever read. I recommend reading it, the novel is an example of Camus's philosophy of the absurd, that was introduced in his philosophical essay the myth of Sisyphus.

Doth some one say that there be gods above? There are not; no, there are not. Let no fool, Led by the old false fable, thus deceive you.
    --Euripides (480 BC - 408 BC)
     Reply #15 - May 15, 2015, 05:55 PM

Brilliant video about a most brilliant human being:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQOfbObFOCw
     Reply #16 - May 15, 2015, 06:08 PM

Thanks, Abood.
     Reply #17 - May 15, 2015, 06:19 PM

That was awesome  Afro
     Reply #18 - May 15, 2015, 06:24 PM

It's funny because I've always believed that the most meaningful life is a life where one cherishes and finds beauty in the ordinary and earthly rather than seek some higher reason for existence, but I never consciously connected that to the influence Camus has had on me.
     Reply #19 - May 15, 2015, 07:29 PM

I still can't completely shake the belief that there is some higher reason for existence, but I am definitely more at peace with the possibility there might not be. Smiley
     Reply #20 - May 15, 2015, 07:37 PM

Do I wish to commit suicide?

This is the most central question anyone could ever ask of themselves and they must ask it often. If yes, then be done it. If no, then there is something that you have to live for.

Thank you Camus.  Afro

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #21 - May 15, 2015, 07:41 PM

Actually Camus' answer is emphatically, No!
     Reply #22 - May 15, 2015, 08:27 PM

This was my answer to the question posed.

I first came across his ideas from a book on philosophy. So no direct quotes.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #23 - May 16, 2015, 05:34 AM

Do I wish to commit suicide?
    If yes, then be done it.

Thank you Camus.  Afro

The obvious response to that is that the month/year after that, if you'd asked the question it would be no. That's the thing about suicide, you can't wait and see or change your mind after.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #24 - May 16, 2015, 07:25 AM

Yes suicide is a mental state as well as a physical manifestation of dissapointment/depression. I think the point is that upon reflection people would reconsider it and think that there's probably something to live for.

For others however, I hate to say that there are situations in which people have thought about it so long and they're in such a state they see no other option to change their current state of affairs and it is the only option. Thus, from their perspective, it is understandable why people would consider suicide as an option though we'd like to think that there's a likelihood the fortunes of the person would change. Obviously, euthanasia is another issue.

*This post is not advocating suicide*

Reply #25 - May 16, 2015, 10:51 AM

The Renegade from Exile and the Kingdom is terrifyingly brilliant. Think I've plugged it on here before.
     Reply #26 - June 03, 2015, 01:53 AM

An Algerian novelist takes on Camus in ‘The Meursault Investigation’

Published in 1942, Albert Camus’s “The Stranger” remains a landmark of international literature, an example — despite its author’s denials — of the existential absurd. The narrator, Meursault, an alienated French Algerian, drifts through his mother’s death, a sexual liaison he falls into shortly after the funeral and his inexplicable murder of an anonymous Arab on an empty beach. He tells the police that the blistering North African sun drove him to it. At his trial, witnesses for the prosecution seem more offended by his detached attitude toward his mother than by his cold-blooded murder of a disenfranchised native. Nevertheless, he is condemned to the guillotine and passes the last part of the book in jail awaiting execution and suffering the blind indifference of the universe.

Kamel Daoud, an Algerian journalist, has written a counterinquiry to “The Stranger” from the point of view of the murdered Arab’s fictional brother, Harun. More than a mere reimagining of the primary text, “The Meursault Investigation” is layered with allusions to Camus’s life and his other work. Similar to the original novella in its intense compression and written in the same incisive style, it has been heralded in France and recently won the best-first-novel prize from the Académie Goncourt. In the United States, it prompted a laudatory pre-publication profile of the author in the New York Times magazine. By contrast, in Algeria there have been calls by Muslim clerics for Daoud’s death — far from an empty threat in a country where more than 200,000 people have been killed in the past two decades of sectarian strife.

On its surface, Daoud’s book is an angry screed attacking colonial European attitudes that reduced Arabs to nameless objects. On a deeper level, it suggests that the real stranger in “The Stranger” is not Meursault, but the dead man on the beach. No one would ever guess from Camus’s work that in 1942 Arabs outnumbered Europeans about 9 to 1 in Algeria. The French regime controlled everything, rendering the local population almost invisible.

Washington Post
     Reply #27 - June 03, 2015, 02:55 AM

Wow I really want to read that. I hope it's been translated into english.
     Reply #28 - October 28, 2015, 03:53 PM

The Death and Life of Albert Camus

A man called Albert Camus died on Monday the 4th of January, 1960 at about 54 minutes past 1 in the afternoon. He had lived for 46 years and 69 days by measure of the Western calender. He left his home in leafy Lourmarin in the south of France the day before to make the 460 mile trip to Paris, driven by his friend and publisher Michel Gallimard. With them went Gallimard’s wife Janine, their daughter Anne and dog, a terrier called Floc. For some reason Michel lost controll of the Facel Vega FV3B, it hit one tree and then another: Camus was negatively accelerated through the back window, breaking his neck and killing him instantly, Michel hit his head and died of a brain haemorrhage 5 days later, Janine and Anne in the back-seat were unhurt.

Albert was born in Mondovi, Algeria on the 7th November 1913. His father died in the First World War fighting the Battle of the Marne in 1914 when Camus was 9 months old. He spent his childhood years in a small apartment in Belcourt, a working class and multi-ethnic suburb of Algiers, living with his brother Lucien and two uncles, raised by his half-deaf mother, a cleaner and her mother, the family Matriarch – both were illiterate. There was no running water or electricity in the apartment, the toilets were out on the landing, shared with two other apartments in the building. There was not one book in the house Albert grew up in. He was expected to leave school and get a job as soon as possible to support his family, like his elder brother Lucien had done. But Louis Germain, one of Albert’s teachers at primary school apparently noticed his ‘potential’, and encouraged him to seek a scholarship to take him on to secondary schooling, offering the young Camus tutoring to prepare him. Germain was able to convince Camus’s grandmother to give him permission to seek a scholarship on the grounds that Albert would get better paying jobs after graduation. In 1924 he received the scholarship to enter the lycée and continue his studies.  He grew up to become a philosopher (and novelist, playwright, goalkeeper, lover, father, editor of the French Resistance newspaper Combat etcetera – here we can easily imagine that Camus would interject to declare himself first and foremost human).

Camus proclaimed that existence was at its core essentially meaningless, absurd. Taking this as his premise he argued that the only serious philosophical question is suicide: whether or not life is worth living. He tackled this question in his essay The Myth of Sisyphus, using the fate of Sisyphus, a figure from Greek mythology as a metaphor for human life. According to the myth, for a long history of antagonising the Gods, Hades (the God of the underworld) was sent to chain Sisyphus, but instead he ended chained himself: for so long as Hades was bound, no mortals could die. For this challenge to the heavenly order Sisyphus, King of Corinth was set the task to roll a huge boulder all the way up a steep, rocky hill. All his struggling was not enough, he could never push his burden up to the peak, it would always end up escaping his grasp and roll back down again to the bottom, and Sisyphus would have to follow it there and start again. An eternity of unending struggle and frustration was to be his fate. So too for all of us claimed  Camus. Why then in the face of this absurd condition do we, by and large, keep on living? Is this justified? In short, Camus says yes: “The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man’s heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”

Camus was no fan of travelling by car. Apparently, he once remarked that he “could think of nothing more absurd than to die in an automobile accident”. It took some convincing from his friend Michel Gallimard to take the trip to Paris by car with him. On Camus’s corpse, in his back poket, an unused train ticket was found. At the age of 46, by the standard of most philosophers, he died a young man, though he might have laughed at such an assertion – for a working class man who contracted tuberculosis at 17 he died an old man! These relativities we apply to death are attempts to elude death as the absolute it is, the great leveller, an egalitarian institution if ever there was one. His death seems to highlight the zero-level absurdity of existence he points to and elaborates on in his work. That we recieve his sudden death as needless, accidental, interrupting the ‘natural’ course of a mans life and leaving his works ‘unfinished’ is symptomatic of the unending struggle and frustration that characterises the absurd condition of life. Dead is dead is dead: in a car crash, at war or asleep in bed. Our denial of this undifferentiated absolute is a vulgar revolt against an uncaring universe, the prospect of our own extinction. An attempt to mark a human stamp upon the the antithesis of humanity, its very self-negation: death. Camus offered a radical alternative to this fate: to stand and face the absurdity of existence head on. To make it the very brick and mortar of ones attitude. To embrace it. As Camus put it:  “Man is the only creature who refuses to be what he is.”

Politically, Camus is hard to pin down, his first real encounter with politics came at the age of 17 , while staying at his anarchist Uncle Gustave’s house, recovering from an attack of tuberculosis. We can question to what extent his uncle’s anarchism set the co-ordinates of Albert’s future political development: Camus never subscribed to any dogmatic ideology and was hostile towards state, capital and ‘politics’ as an institution. In many ways his thought fell in line with the anarchist axiom that ‘power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely’. His fierce criticism of the USSR set him apart and alienated him from many of his contemporaries  ‘on the left’ in France and Algeria at the time. Camus had a very public falling out with his friend, the existentialist philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre after the publication of ‘The Rebel’ in 1951; a book-length essay on rebellion and revolution in societies which, as well as criticising ‘really-existing-socialism’ questioned the reputations of Robespierre and St. Just, sacred cows of the French left. He railed against the view of revolution as an end in itself and decried the propensity for revolution to give way to tyranny and totalitarianism. First, and foremost, he was a humanist. “There are causes worth dying for, but none worth killing for”.

A month after his death, Jean-Paul Sartre wrote a tribute to his deceased friend:

“The moment it appears, the inhuman becomes a part of the human. Every life that is cut off-even the life of so young a man -is at one and the same time a phonograph record that is broken and a complete life. For all those who loved him, there is an unbearable absurdity in that death. But we shall have to learn to see that mutilated work as a total work. Insofar as Camus’s humanism contains a human attitude toward the death that was to take him by surprise, insofar as his proud and pure quest for happiness implied and called for the inhuman necessity of dying, we shall recognize in that work and in the life that is inseparable from it the pure and victorious attempt of one man to snatch every instant of his existence from his future death.”

After the crash, no trace was found of Floc the dog.

“I have never seen anyone die for an ontological argument…On the other hand, I see many people die because they judge that life is not worth living. I see others paradoxically being killed for the ideas or illusions that give them a reason for living(what is called a reason for living is also an excellent reason for dying).”

“Do not wait for the Last Judgement. It comes every day.”

“Since we’re all going to die, it’s obvious that when and how don’t matter.”

“What is a rebel? A man who says no.”

“If the world were clear, art would not exist.”

“Men and women must live and create, live and create. To the point of tears”

Albert Camus

Source
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »