Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Are Hijabs really a choic...
by zeca
Today at 07:27 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:17 PM

Random Islamic History Po...
Today at 06:24 PM

Anti-imperialism and the ...
Today at 06:20 PM

Kashmir endgame
Today at 01:53 PM

NayaPakistan...New Pakist...
Today at 12:13 PM

Book burning in Norway
Yesterday at 07:49 PM

مدهش----- لماذا؟؟؟؟
Yesterday at 04:12 PM

New PM incoming
by zeca
December 08, 2019, 11:23 PM

Lebanon protests
by zeca
December 08, 2019, 11:06 PM

Iran uprising - is the en...
by zeca
December 08, 2019, 10:23 PM

Protests in Iraq
by zeca
December 08, 2019, 08:11 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 408822 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 283 284 285« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8520 - Yesterday at 05:46 PM

I'm sceptic about a theory that is already there but needs another 6 years to be put on paper. It's probably as good as Gross's. Right here, wrong there.

mundiiiiiiiiiii... STOP .. stop hitting people below the belt .,

you did/ often do that to me., it is not nice. it is painful..

Do not let silence become your legacy  
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8521 - Yesterday at 05:50 PM

I love you all!
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8522 - Yesterday at 05:55 PM

I love you all!

yes Love is all that is needed

click and watch it dear mundi

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8523 - Yesterday at 07:51 PM

Heraclius and the return of the Holy Cross

In two short studies published simultaneously with mutual acknowledgements, Holger Klein and the late Paul Speck have proposed a new interpretation of two entries in the final part of the Easter Chronicle. While the two authors diverge in some arguments, they both conclude that the Exaltation of the Holy Cross was celebrated in Constantinople in September 629 and that the relic of the Cross was returned by the Persians to Byzantium quite some time before that date, and not in 630, as has often been asserted by their predecessors.1 I adhere to this basic finding, and yet I must also recognize that the arguments put forward by Cyril Mango and, in much more detail, by Bernard Flusin in favor of the Cross’ return to Jerusalem in 630 keep much of their strength (Klein and Speck have barely addressed these arguments). The only possible resolution of this paradox resides in an even more paradoxical admission that the Holy Cross was returned to Jerusalem twice, in 629 and in 630.

https://www.academia.edu/10124428/Heraclius_and_the_return_of_the_Holy_Cross
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8524 - Yesterday at 10:04 PM

"Moreover, Dequin has found evidence that it was not until after the ʿAbbāsids had taken
    over power that the pilgrimage to Mecca was established "

Weed.

Funny that you would disagree on that and go to the point of thinking this is a total non sense.

"According to Dequin, both terms were originally gnostic concepts denoting redemptory figures, originally going back to Christological notions."

Weed.

Well you should remember what you said a couple of months back when you read a commentary on the mahdi.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8525 - Yesterday at 10:06 PM

I'm sceptic about a theory that is already there but needs another 6 years to be put on paper. It's probably as good as Gross's. Right here, wrong there.

Well he probably wants to release it with all the necessary proofs of all his assertions ; the thing is that it was supposed to be released in a couple of years 1 year back.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8526 - Yesterday at 10:53 PM

Funny that you would disagree on that and go to the point of thinking this is a total non sense.

That it was in Umayyad  or Abbasid times has no really importance. The importance lies in the fact that before 700 there was no hajj.

Well you should remember what you said a couple of months back when you read a commentary on the mahdi.

Tell us.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8527 - Yesterday at 11:02 PM

the thing is that it was supposed to be released in a couple of years 1 year back.

Did  I say that (TM) ? Wink Possible. Things are maybe different now as some interesting stuff has came and will come. One thing is to write something, another is to be up to date regarding certain specific topics. Therefore thanks, I won't give any more a date Wink
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8528 - Yesterday at 11:24 PM

Guillaume Dye in the Coran des historiens/ Koran of Historians has an interesting subtitle in his chapter : The Quranic corpus: context and composition
    This subtitle is : A confusing text
    Interesting. Wink
    Besides, interestingly  Amir-Moezzi does not comment any sura. Not one. Bizarre.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8529 - Today at 12:12 AM

In recent years, issues of radiocarbon dating have been somewhat overshadowed by the biomolecular revolution, in particular the contributions of aDNA and stable isotopes. Nevertheless, we believe that radiocarbon dating still plays a significant role in the network of scientific methods currently changing the entire discipline of archaeology. Improvements in radiocarbon chronologies occurring in the last two decades, especially Bayesian probability modelling, the growing pool of datable materials and new theoretical approaches, are widening our interpretational possibilities for understanding the past. Answering the fundamental question 'When?' with ever-increasing accuracy and precision enables us to produce chronologies on the scale of people's lifetimes. Growing numbers of available radiocarbon data allow us to explore entirely new perspectives at multiple levels. We can construct new narratives of long-term processes as well as identify short events and tipping points, creating a more flexible, interactive image of the past. In this session, we aim to discuss all aspects, challenges and also potential and real pitfalls of radiocarbon dating. We welcome contributions addressing: 1) New achievements in radiocarbon dating regarding materials, precision and techniques 2) Chronological modelling 3) The relationship between relative and absolute chronology 4) Ways in which new chronologies have influenced our interpretative inferences 5) Limitations of the radiocarbon method A range of contexts and spatial units could be addressed, from individual sites to regions or periods.

https://www.academia.edu/41199652/CALL_FOR_PAPERS_EAA2020_Budapest_Session_241_Out_of_date_Current_advances_in_radiocarbon_dating
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8530 - Today at 12:13 AM

https://www.academia.edu/31247577/Theophanes_Oriental_Source_What_can_we_learn_from_Syriac_Historiography
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8531 - Today at 10:48 AM

well that has good story of history  on The ghost/ ghost writings of  of Theophilus dear Marc.,

..........If we accept the assumption that Theophilus’ work reached Theophanes, we havethen to explain how Theophilus’ Syriac history was transmitted to Theophanes in Constantinople in Greek. It has been suggested that George Syncellus or some other learned monk in the Palestinian monasteries renowned for their multilingualism madea translation of it and that George brought it along with him when he fled to the capital and handed it over to Theophanes. Another possible transmission channel, however, from Baghdad to Constantinople, has been overlooked although it could shed a different light on the process.

We have to remember that Theophilus’ astrological works were actually brought from Baghdad to Constantinople ca. 775, presumably by the so-called Pseudo-Stephanus of Byzantium, who composed a horoscope of Islam containing historical data.

Theophilus’ chronicle could then have followed the same path. This, however,is difficult to prove'......

So questions to you dear Marc

1).  is that book/booklet better than Peter Kirby's work on External References to Islam??

2). And Marc.,  do you or do you NOT believe in that    story of "Chronicles of  Theophilus of Edessa(690-780??)  

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8532 - Today at 04:02 PM

"The ghost of Theophilus was conjured up by Islamicists, who found in him a likely candidate for the transmission of Byzantine as well as Arabic historical material."

From where Theophilus (695–780) got his Arabic historical material?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8533 - Today at 07:17 PM

Thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/PhDniX/status/1204339959836086272
    An interesting rasm mistake in the modern print editions of the Quran. Q20:94 yā-bna-ʾumma/i "O son of my mother" is spelled without the initial ʾalif of ibn in print editions.

This spelling is unusual, because usually alif al-waṣl is retained when precedes by prefixes.

• Previous page 1 ... 283 284 285« Previous thread | Next thread »