Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Turkey's Jedi Temple

(Read 1693 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Turkey's Jedi Temple
     OP - April 10, 2015, 07:07 AM

A backlash against the rising religious 'supremacy' via peaceful and comedic mean. I love students (sometimes!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp5WNA4jusc

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Turkey's Jedi Temple
     Reply #1 - April 10, 2015, 10:29 AM

A bit of topic, but its strange how often I come across people that oppose and condemn Turkeys goverment yet champion Egypts Sisi and arab ''non islamists''. Turkey is unique, their 'islamists' would be considered secularists in much of the muslim world.

Speaking on a popular Oprah-style talk show on Egypt's Dream TV, Mr. Erdogan had said: "Do not be wary of secularism. I hope there will be a secular state in Egypt."

The Turkish leader said secularism doesn't mean a lack of religion, but creating respect for all religions and religious freedoms for individuals.

"Secularism does not mean that people are secular. For example, I am not secular, but I am the prime minister of a secular state," said Mr. Erdogan, himself a former Islamist.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424053111904491704576570670264116178

Turkeys former president Gul, who is a cofounder of AKP
    In an interview, Turkey's President Abdullah Gul says that Egypt should embrace secularism based on a 'respect for all faiths;'

Gul: What is unfortunate for the Arab and Maghreb countries is that their interpretation of secularism has been based on the French model, which is a ?Jacobin? model of imposing a kind of irreligiousness.

When you speak of secularism to Muslim communities of the region, it is misunderstood because of this French implication. In practice, the implementation of secularism in the Arab and Maghreb countries has meant fighting against Islam in the name of secularism. So, we have to understand this sensitivity.

On the other hand, if you use the Anglo-Saxon interpretation of secularism, as practiced in the United States or the United Kingdom, it is something that people should feel comfortable with. All it means is a separation of the state and religion, of the state maintaining the same distance from all religions and acting as the custodian for all beliefs. It is based on respect for all faiths and the coexistence of plural beliefs.

I can tell you from my conversations with the leaders in Egypt or Tunisia, including those with a religious identity, that they are very open-minded and comfortable with this Anglo-Saxon sense of secular government.

They understand that what we are doing in Turkey is focusing on fundamental freedoms. Freedom to practice one?s own religion is one of the most fundamental of freedoms. We are lifting the barriers, that?s all.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Global-Viewpoint/2012/0529/Interview-with-Turkey-s-Abdullah-Gul-Egypt-should-embrace-secularism

Gul encouraged tunisian islamists to adopt secularism. I don't think, though, that Egyptian and Tunisian islamists are secularist in Anglosaxan sense, as he does.

Im not entirely confident, as I know and am always suspicious of different types of 'islamists', but I think Turkey is different from much of the muslim world.
  • Turkey's Jedi Temple
     Reply #2 - April 10, 2015, 12:10 PM

Another thing to add is that Erdogan is clearly authoritarian, even if there was no intention to introduce religious law, which may or may not be true and in that case which intepretation. Eitherway, it should be very opposed by western governments.
  • Turkey's Jedi Temple
     Reply #3 - April 10, 2015, 03:36 PM

Considering Turkey wants to be part of the EU, it's an interesting direction to take.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Turkey's Jedi Temple
     Reply #4 - April 10, 2015, 07:04 PM

That would mean that EU law would be used in Turkish courts and Turkey would be legally bound by decisions made European Court of Justice and European Court of Human Rights.It would force Turkey into becoming a liberal democracy,which maybe the reason why Erdogan isn't in a hurry to join EU.
  • Turkey's Jedi Temple
     Reply #5 - April 20, 2015, 06:41 PM

Secularism is NOT the same as atheism.

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »