Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What is an Agnostic Muslim?

(Read 45089 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What is an Agnostic Muslim?
     Reply #60 - April 25, 2015, 04:59 PM

Hassan, as a young man who has been influenced by your story through your videos and e-book I say: DO YOU!  Afro

Good luck

Reply #61 - April 25, 2015, 05:02 PM

A good start I guess. No biting your head off so far.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #62 - April 25, 2015, 05:48 PM

Good luck. Hopefully the conversation doesn't take a bad turn...

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #63 - April 26, 2015, 05:18 AM

This is an intense thread.  Humbled by the depth of the posts.
     Reply #64 - April 26, 2015, 09:46 AM

To each his own. Personally, I no longer hate Islam or consider it evil. It is simply a product of it's time, a time when people engaged in acts which while we may consider them barbaric and disgusting, were simply normal life and normal behavior at the time. There are some good tenets of Islam and some truly terrible ones. The same goes for Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Sikhism, etc as these are ALL ancient ideologies which reflect the attitudes and moralities of the time.

That said, my reasons for making peace with Islam is the same reason why I still want nothing to do with it and do not want it to play any part in my life. I don't want the behaviours, attitudes and culture of the seventh century in my life at all. Even if I were to accept the good parts of Islam, that means that I am giving a pass to it's negative traits.
     Reply #65 - April 26, 2015, 11:30 AM

Absolutely!  Each to their own.

Albert Camus said something like; don't follow me I won't lead you, don't lead me I won't follow you, just be there as my friend.
     Reply #66 - April 27, 2015, 08:25 AM

"I make du'a you'll be guided"

"Baaraka Allahu Feek"

Cheesy Cheesy
     Reply #67 - April 27, 2015, 09:07 AM

Afro grin12
     Reply #68 - May 03, 2015, 01:37 PM

Hassan

I come to the same conclusion as yours, I best identify myself now as an agnostic Muslim, I am even thinking of maybe attending a prayer in a mosque, ok maybe I am a little romantic but I miss those days. 
    Just to be clear, I am not sure if God exist, but I sympathy to the concept of Deism, I have a vague idea about the composition of the Quran and the early history of Islam and the how this early movement emerged from Semitic Christian /Jewish /Pagan background.

but i can not simply deny a huge part of my life and my background.
     Reply #69 - May 03, 2015, 02:04 PM

Hassan

I come to the same conclusion as yours, I best identify myself now as an agnostic Muslim, .....................

what.. Hello WHAT IS THAT THING??  

you mean Get a life?? huh!  geltifbaya.. I just can not pronounce that..

Hello geltifbaya.. I tell you all agnostic Muslims.. you guys need more than "Agnostic" next to that "Muslim" word..

Such as "agnostic cultural  Muslim".,  agnostic personal Muslim.,  Agnostic Western Muslim., Agnostic Arabian Muslim., Agnostic Egyptian Muslim...etc,,etc.. i don't care  ..   Or "Muslims that don't follow Scriptural Islam" ..lol  or or MURTAD MUSLIM   Cheesy

I don't know ...  but there is  No Agnostic Islam  ..

And welcome to den that is corrupting Islamic faith..     finmad finmad

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #70 - May 03, 2015, 02:17 PM

Welcome, geltifbaya.

You can just ignore Yeezevee.
     Reply #71 - May 03, 2015, 03:05 PM

You can just ignore Yeezevee.

Hmmm.. what  finmad

HM.,   neither I approve that reply nor approve  the picture you are using to represent yourself

Aantarah-ibn-Shaddad   copied those poems from a poetess  ..lol.  where as you write your own poems...

Reply #72 - May 03, 2015, 04:17 PM

Hassan

I come to the same conclusion as yours, I best identify myself now as an agnostic Muslim, I am even thinking of maybe attending a prayer in a mosque, ok maybe I am a little romantic but I miss those days. 
    Just to be clear, I am not sure if God exist, but I sympathy to the concept of Deism, I have a vague idea about the composition of the Quran and the early history of Islam and the how this early movement emerged from Semitic Christian /Jewish /Pagan background.

Welcome, Getifbaya  Afro

Would you like to post an introduction about yourself in the intro section Smiley
     Reply #73 - May 06, 2015, 04:23 PM

Good luck. Hopefully the conversation doesn't take a bad turn...

Oh!   bad turn? I think you are right asbie .. there should be some rules for "How t be an Agnostic Muslims" .. Otherwise there will be a danger of New Prophet coming out for this Agnostic Muslim sect.

So let me start with rule no-1

Every Agnostic Muslim must have a beard .. otherwise  there will be a trouble..

Reply #74 - May 08, 2015, 08:36 PM

FYI - I just added this page to my old Abooali Blog

https://abooali.wordpress.com/epilogue/

Smiley
     Reply #75 - May 11, 2015, 04:01 PM

an agnostic muslim is like what I am:

A VEGAN CARNIVORE

Agnostic means something you don't know, so if you are an "agnostic muslim", what you are you saying by definition is that you don't know if you believe in Islam.
     Reply #76 - May 11, 2015, 04:10 PM

I'm going to throw something out there, random question/musing, might be complete bullshit, so take it or leave it, just my 2 cents.

Is Islam as an "ethnicity" really such a bad thing?

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #77 - May 11, 2015, 04:19 PM

As an ethnicity? How do you mean?
     Reply #78 - May 11, 2015, 04:21 PM

Like Jewish is an ethnicity.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #79 - May 11, 2015, 04:50 PM

an agnostic muslim is like what I am:

A VEGAN CARNIVORE

Agnostic means something you don't know, so if you are an "agnostic muslim", what you are you saying by definition is that you don't know if you believe in Islam.

Hey serpent - how you doing  Afro

Did you ever watch Sesame Street? You remind me of the grouchy one who would emerge from the bin every now and again to whinge about something  grin12 dance

Hope you're keeping well Smiley
     Reply #80 - May 11, 2015, 04:52 PM

I'm going to throuw something out there, random question/musing, might be complete bullshit, so take it or leave it, just my 2 cents.

Is Islam as an "ethnicity" really such a bad thing?

It's not about it being "bad" - but it's just that it's not accurate.

However I would place Islam and any religion closer to categories like "race" - only because most people don't really "choose" their religion. They are indoctrinated from very young and although technically we can leave at any time - as we all know in reality that is a huge mental and emotional struggle very many simply can't accomplish.
     Reply #81 - May 11, 2015, 04:56 PM

Like Jewish is an ethnicity.

How did that work out for them, historically? When they were rounded up and put in gas chambers, it was because they were seen as 'an ethnicity' I.e. one ethnicity, one homogenous group. Their individual beliefs didn't matter. Not a good thing to go that route. Empowers bigots and those internal to the group who exercise and abuse power by force or fear. Racialization (the political/cultural process by which a diverse set of groups come to be seen as 'one race') erases internal diversity and dissent as well.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #82 - May 11, 2015, 04:57 PM

Which is one reason why the common slogan these days of "Islam is not a race" is of course true - but it still nevertheless falls closer to the category of those things you can't choose - like skin colour - than it does to something like hairstyle.
     Reply #83 - May 11, 2015, 05:01 PM

How did that work out for them, historically? When they were rounded up and put in gas chambers, it was because they were seen as 'an ethnicity' I.e. one ethnicity, one homogenous group. Their individual beliefs didn't matter. Not a good thing to go that route. Empowers bigots and those internal to the group who exercise and abuse power by force or fear. Racialization (the political/cultural process by which a group come to be seen as 'one race') erases internal diversity and dissent as well.

Didn't think we were going to go there. At the same time while it has that vulnerability it also has its advantage, in that things like "ethnicity, race" are ones which are not considered choices and as such have less acceptance to discriminate, persecute on that basis. Obviously it would be nice if people didn't discriminate against one another at all, but we don't live in fairy land.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #84 - May 11, 2015, 05:03 PM

And at the same time it would give free-thinkers more acceptance to do their thing, when their very identity wasn't being questioned, and they weren't on the verge of being shunned, ostracized, or worse, every time they speak up.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #85 - May 11, 2015, 05:10 PM

It is dehumanizing and it benefits Islamists and anti Muslim bigots for Muslim identity to become 'a race'. For Muslims who are not in power to be erased to make the ethnicity uniform. E.g. shias, ahmadis, atheist/agnostic exmuslims. As well as the various colourful cultural backgrounds various Muslims come from to be amalgamated into a 'religion as race' identity. This is what's happened in Pakistan increasingly over the last 30+ years and it has harmed people especially dissenters, while it has empowered state and religious authorities.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #86 - May 11, 2015, 05:17 PM

And at the same time it would give free-thinkers more acceptance to do their thing, when their very identity wasn't being questioned, and they weren't on the verge of being shunned, ostracized, or worse, every time they speak up.

I can see your motivation and I do see how it sounds like a good idea, but in practice, it has historically proven to facilitate more oppression than liberation.

Besides, one can argue it's happened already with 'muslim' identity.

Reply #87 - May 11, 2015, 05:46 PM

Difference is that such a move wasn't done to promote inclusion and facilitate the flourishing of diverse thought. It's just another nationalist movement. The idea would be to recapture a shared "Islamic" identity (to whatever extent it exists), outside the influence of barbaric religious nationalists.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #88 - May 11, 2015, 05:47 PM

I do hear and agree with many of your objections however. It seems to be a rather tricky affair.  Undecided

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #89 - May 11, 2015, 06:50 PM

It is dehumanizing ..................

Huh!.... what....?.... dehumanizing?    de  dehumanizing? dehumanizing who allat? I am a humanist all the way So please don't dehumanize people

I think this agnostic Islam  is good for those Muslim folks who are living in west or in some other countries where Islam is not used for political purposes..

Question is what % percentage of faith of a person is agnostic ? and what% of faith of a person is Islam?

And what is the difference between Agnostic Muslims and all other 77 sects of Islam w.r.t.  Agnostic Jews, Agnostic Christians, Agnostic Buddhists, Agnostic Sikhs, Agnostic hindus.. Agnostic Calvinists.. Agnostic COMMUNISTS etc...etc..etc...    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFWLgmkmrH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eAG8lM5f1s

hey..hi...hi hiiii........... high.............. heee........... highheee... That Islam you see above is from a Mosque in Manchester UK 2013

• Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »