Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex

(Read 7926 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex
     Reply #30 - February 23, 2009, 11:19 PM

Islame:

There's no doubt i'm describing the same phenomenon that people have over the history of mankind... that's actually a truism... in the same way that Aristotle was describing the cosmos in his understanding of the world...

You might as well call "gravity" a "fancy word" by Newton to describe the same old stuff humanity has been wondering about since before him.

Memetics is a new scientific model that gives us unique terminology... which helps us categorize, analyze and understand the "same old phenomenon", BETTER than before. Just like Galileo's or Descartes' theories.

Your dismissive attitude of the theory belies a hostility that I don't understand. Care to explain?

Awais: Your discomfort with the word is perhaps a discomfort with the implications of memetics to your beliefs... perhaps also shared by IsLame?

TRASH - The Rationalist Apostate Society for Humanity!

Take a look for a few laughs and thoughtful discussions with a wide range of audience - fellow apostates, Muslims, sufis, non-Muslims, Christians, etc

http://thetrashbin.wordpress.com
     Reply #31 - February 23, 2009, 11:37 PM

I do not have any hostility towards Memetic theory, I just think you overdo its importance at times - its not that special or unique, and parts are obvious. 

In fact it reminds me of everything about Dawkins - his book brought nothing new to the table as far as I was concerned but for one reason on other this rather non-inspirational figure seems to have caught everyones minds & attention.  I think someone like Salman Rushdie was more intelligent & deserving, but all he got was a Fatwa.

Memetic theory is straightforward simple logic, yet I have found your preoccupation with it can at times be at the expense of your lateral judgement. 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #32 - February 23, 2009, 11:43 PM

Afro

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #33 - February 24, 2009, 07:08 AM

I do not have any hostility towards Memetic theory, I just think you overdo its importance at times - its not that special or unique, and parts are obvious. 

We could also remove some prepends like mono- or poly- from the language, and the language can still be used and still make up for the loss of those Two words. i.e. polygamy becomes 'multiple wives' and monogamy becomes 'single wife'.

Memetics offers us a chance to express many words into fewers words. Is it special or unique? Well we were able to live without it for Millenias. Are parts obvious? of course they are.

In fact it reminds me of everything about Dawkins - his book brought nothing new to the table as far as I was concerned but for one reason on other this rather non-inspirational figure seems to have caught everyones minds

Dawkins is not a prophet of some god. His books does not have to bring anything new to the table. But in fact, his book did bring few new things to the table.

& attention.  I think someone like Salman Rushdie was more intelligent & deserving, but all he got was a Fatwa.

Non Sequitur. What does Salman has to do with Dawkins that has to do with memes. And Salman was boring as fvck actually. Salman is almost deserving of a fatwa just for the boring style he used.

memetic theory is straightforward simple logic, yet I have found your preoccupation with it can at times be at the expense of your lateral judgement. 

Words like mono, tri, hetero, pento, septo, bi, isis, ism, are all straightforward simple logic as well, is there an issue if I use them, and is there particularly a problem if i use them a lot while discussing a subject that uses them a lot?

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #34 - February 24, 2009, 10:13 AM

Baal, I dont know why you got involved again - as mentioned earlier, I bear no issue with the way you use it.  As you state below, you merely use it as a definitive tool as I do, and not at the expense of everything else.

Unfortuntaely Salahuddin has been eaten & swallowed up by memes.

Memes are now his meme.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #35 - February 24, 2009, 06:03 PM

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
  • The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex
     Reply #36 - March 30, 2015, 12:15 AM

Interesting link.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »