Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Writer Avijit Roy hacked to death

(Read 35015 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 4« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Writer Avijit Roy hacked to death
     Reply #90 - May 15, 2016, 12:10 PM

In South Asian communal politics, classy doesn't generally come into it, and that includes Buddhist monks. Cases in point:

Burma

Sri Lanka
     Reply #91 - May 15, 2016, 12:29 PM

In South Asian communal politics, classy doesn't generally come into it, and that includes Buddhist monks. Cases in point:

Burma  ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LChfwDgcFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSihfWY41So

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hN1HbR9r8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvEBaAiy5b4

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #92 - May 21, 2016, 09:57 PM

Bangladesh machete murder claimed by IS   says BBC News

The Islamic State group (IS) said it was behind the killing of a homeopath in western Bangladesh on Friday. Mir Sanwar Rahman was hacked to death by three attackers with machetes riding a motorbike in Kushia district.

His friend, university tutor Mohammad Saifuzzaman, was seriously injured in the same attack.
    There has been a series of murders of religious minorities, secular activists and academics in Bangladesh in recent months.

Both of the men attacked on Friday were said to be followers of the mystic tradition of Baul music, seen as heretical by some Muslims. However, police said they were also investigating a possible personal motive for the killings.

IS made its claim on its Amaq news agency, saying Mr Rahman was killed for "promoting Christianity".
    Mr Rahman was known for giving out free homeopathic medicine. He and Mr Saifuzzaman were ambushed as they rode on a motorbike in their village.

Police official Proloy Kishim told the BBC Bengali service the two men had both been stabbed on the head and neck.More than 20 people have been killed in attacks by suspected Islamists in the past three years..... 

well that is what link says... red it all at that link.,   should I believe that??

Reply #93 - May 22, 2016, 12:59 AM

Well, the eternal problem: Should you believe the press, and does the press believe its sources?

Pretty hardcore to kill people for handing out free water!
     Reply #94 - March 04, 2018, 12:20 PM

Professor Muhammad Zafar Iqbal  Renowned BD writer stabbed at seminar

DHAKA: One of Bangladesh’s top writers was stabbed in the back of the head during a seminar in the northern city of Sylhet on Saturday, police said, the latest in a series of attacks on authors and bloggers. Iqbal, who teaches at a state-run university in Sylhet, is a long-standing a champion of free speech and secularism in Bang­ladesh. He is also a top selling author and celebrity spea­ker who regularly appears at university campuses nationwide

Police said Zafar Iqbal, a celebrated secular activist and bestselling science fiction writer, was rushed to hospital in Sylhet after the attack. “He was hit on the back of his head and he was bleeding,” a police constable posted at the hospital said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Abdul Wahab, a spokesman for the Sylhet city police, confirmed the incident, saying police suspect he was attacked with a knife. “He was in a seminar when he was stabbed on the back of his head. His gunman caught an attacker,” he said, referring to Iqbal’s police guard.

Bangladesh’s government has provided security for the country’s top secular writers and activists since suspected violent extremists named them in a several lists of targets. Police do not know how many people were involved in the attack nor whether they belonged to any extremist groups, he said. “He has been taken to the operating theatre,” he said, adding he would be flown to a military hospital in Dhaka for better treatment.

“It is an ominous sign. He is a guardian of progressive movement in Bangladesh. His attack is an attack against progressive Bangladesh,” said Imran Sarker, head of one of the top secular groups. “He was in the hit-list by militant and other groups in the past. The government can’t avoid its responsibility,” he said.

Oh!  Jihadi Islam followers
    Oh! rabid  dogs  of Islam
    You can kill a human being
    but you can not kill Humanistic Ideas
    Oh! brutal rogues of Islam
    You are NOT Muslims that  I know  
    You are NOT Muslims that  I   am related to  
    you are NOT  Muslims etall
    And I don't know what you are  

............yeezevee..............

Reply #95 - April 04, 2018, 03:07 AM

Cry finmad
     Reply #96 - February 16, 2021, 09:20 PM

This is month of February..  many good things happened to me in this month and many bad things happened to me  in this month   Time runs away.. 6 years ago on February 26, 2015., I wrote this in this  folder
    I am deaf.. I am stunned .. I can not stop watering my eyes.. I don't know what to do....

GOOD BYE  FRIENDS.........

and this picture that is in this folder at https://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=28316.msg810411#msg810411

That is Rafida Ahmed Bonna.. wife of a friend....  left to heavens looong time ago ..

But...but that good bye i said in that post itself  became good bye .... and I never left this forum and other forums similar to this ., and I am glad I still continue air../ write .. 

This picture is from today from BBC News 

it says Bangladesh Avijit Roy murder: Five sentenced to die for machete attack on blogger  with another picture o my friend

A court in Bangladesh has sentenced five men to death and one to life in jail for hacking a secular blogger to death six years ago in Dhaka.

Avijit Roy, based in the US and of Bangladeshi origin, was attacked with machetes as he left a book fair in the capital in February 2015.

It was one of a spate of attacks on secular figures, which were blamed on Islamist militants.

Roy, an atheist, had angered hardliners with his writings on religion.

His wife Rafida Ahmed was with him when the attack took place as they left the Dhaka University campus. She was critically wounded, but survived.

The assault was carried out by a banned group, Ansar al-Islam, which is believed to be linked with al-Qaeda, the court heard.
    Two of the group were tried in absentia, including former army major Syed Ziaul Haque, who is accused of leading the attackers. He was sentenced to be hanged for murdering Roy, as were four others: Abu Siddique Sohel, Mozammel Hossain, Arafat Rahman and Akram Hossain, who along with Syed Ziaul Haque is still on the run.

Shafiur Rahman Farabi was given life in jail, after being arrested in March 2015

In June 2016 police said they had shot dead the main suspect - a man they named as Sharif - in the killing of Roy in a gun battle near the capital..

"Charges against them were proved beyond any doubt. The court gave them the highest punishment," public prosecutor Golam Sarwar Khan said after the verdict outside the Special Anti-Terrorism Tribunal in Dhaka.

Lawyers for the defence plan to appeal.

Roy's wife Rafida, who lives in the US, criticised the investigation into her husband's murder.

"In six years, not one person investigating the case in Bangladesh reached out to me - though I am a direct witness and victim of the attack," she wrote in a Facebook post. "Simply prosecuting a few foot-soldiers - and ignoring the rise and roots of extremism - does not mean justice for Avi's death." Police believe the Ansar al-Islam group were behind the murders of more than a dozen secular activists and bloggers. A string of deadly such attacks took place in Bangladesh between 2013 and 2016, and were blamed on extremists inspired by al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group.

WHO WAS  AVIJIT ROY??

Founded Mukto-Mona ("Free Mind") blog site in 2000 to champion secular and humanist writing in Muslim-majority Bangladesh

Engineer by profession

Received death threats from Islamist radicals for his writings, .....

"He was a thinker, he was a man of great knowledge, he was a scientist, he was an engineer" -

And  a close friend to many

And again promise .. I will continue to write and remember you every year.. every time such tragedies occur around the globe..  and that is from today's BBC news..

• Previous page 1 2 3 4« Previous thread | Next thread »