Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Writer Avijit Roy hacked to death

(Read 35032 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Writer Avijit Roy hacked to death
     Reply #30 - March 07, 2015, 05:52 PM

Wow yeez. Must be painful for you.  far away hug

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #31 - March 07, 2015, 06:39 PM

Yes I do have deep connection to dr.  Avijit., In fact I met him. He never wanted anything for what he did except shine the light in to a dark lifeless society with religiosity  superstitious nonsense...  Well life is gone but his words will light the secular humanistic values as long as internet is alive.

far away hug
     Reply #32 - March 07, 2015, 06:54 PM

If you could just do all you can to spread word of what’s happened, I would appreciate it so so much. Inform your schools, your communities, write all that you can. Please don’t allow my dad to die in vain.

Please use your influence to help bring some sort of justice to the atrocious acts that have been committed against my parents.

‪#‎WordsCannotBeKilled‬“

Just took a minute to let that sink in. Incredibly powerful. Thank you for sharing yeez. I hope you don't think this youtube video is in bad taste, it was what came to mind as I read your post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKvvOFIHs4k

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #33 - March 08, 2015, 01:00 PM

"Life goes away.,
    As long as it give bit of light to other lives it is Ok to go away"

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #34 - March 12, 2015, 08:34 AM

Rafida said that the police just stood by and didn't do anything during the attack.
    DHAKA: The wife of an American blogger and critic of religious extremism who was hacked to death in Dhaka last month said that police stood nearby when the couple were attacked on a university campus in the Bangladesh capital. 

Avijit Roy, an engineer of Bangladeshi origin, was killed by machete-wielding assailants when returning from a book fair. His wife, Rafida Bonya Ahmed, suffered head injuries and lost a finger. 

"While Avijit and I were being ruthlessly attacked, the local police stood close by and did not act," Rafida told Reuters. "Now, we demand that the Bangladeshi government do everything in its power to bring the murderers to justice." 

Rafida urged the government to "stop a legal culture of impunity, where writers can be killed without the killers being brought to trial".
    http://www.timesofindia.com/world/south-asia/Bangladesh-police-stood-close-by-during-US-blogger-attack-Wife/articleshow/46526143.cms

"we stand firm calling to allah all the time,
    we let them know - bang! bang! - coz it's dawah time!"
     Reply #35 - March 12, 2015, 11:14 AM

Avijit’s body handed over to DMC Medical college  for research says news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOMyAIAdLFo

Tribute to Avijit Roy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iTk3N1DFV4

Yes...   Stars in human form  they shed the light to those who are still alive  even after they leave this planet..

Reply #36 - March 12, 2015, 12:03 PM

Rafida said that the police just stood by and didn't do anything during the attack.

thanks for that post kephas.. let me put here full statement of Bonya Ahmed, the beloved Wife Avijit Roy..

My husband, Avijit Roy, wrote about science and rationalism and critiqued religious fundamentalism. Because of this, he was murdered. On February 26, 2015, he and I were attacked in a crowded area on the Dhaka University campus. Avijit was hacked to death by a machete; I survived.

As his wife, fellow writer, and a freethinker, I strongly condemn this gruesome act of terror.

The Dhaka University campus has historically been a space for progressive movements. It is also where Avijit grew up. Despite the death threat, we could not fathom that such a heinous crime could take place in such an area—a crime not only against a person, but against freedom of speech and humanity. While Avijit and I were being ruthlessly attacked, the local police stood close by and did not act. Now, we demand that the Bangladeshi government do everything in its power to bring the murderers to justice.

I do not believe that simply catching the killers will be enough. I urge the government to address terrorism and stop a legal culture of impunity, where writers can be killed without the killers being brought to trial. I urge the world to recognize what has happened and join us in this demand for justice.

- Rafida Bonya Ahmed

[img]http://i0.wp.com/madworldnews.com/wp-content/uploads/dr-avijit-roy.jpg?resize=630%2C232[/img]

Tears have dried up.... no tear in eyes.. it is only blood..
    LIFE GOES AWAY BUT STARS WILL NOT DIE..

Reply #37 - March 12, 2015, 05:44 PM

BBC news at http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-31819649 says with this picture

Avijit Roy Wife  defiant after Bangladesh attack

Rafida Bonya Ahmed was also badly injured when her US-Bangladeshi husband Avijit Roy was killed after leaving a book fair in Dhaka last month.

Speaking to the BBC from a safe location, she said fundamentalism had "taken deep roots" in Bangladesh. She described her husband as "an intellectually fulfilled atheist, who dedicated his life to promoting science and secularism".

"I will go back to being vocal and expressing what we believe in. The cause that Avijit died for, I will not be quiet," she said.

let me hear her speak...

https://soundcloud.com/bbc-world-service/rafida-bonya-ahmed-murdered-blogger-avijit-roys-wife-i-will-not-be-quiet

Reply #38 - March 13, 2015, 03:11 PM

Reply #39 - March 16, 2015, 01:21 PM

Tk 5 lakh bounty on Azad Rana

Dhaka Metropolitan Police yesterday announced a Tk 5 lakh bounty for the capture of Redwanul Azad Rana, prime accused in the blogger Ahmed Rajib Haidar murder case.  The identity of the informer would not be disclosed, Masudur Rahman, deputy commissioner (media) of DMP, told The Daily Star.

Detectives, investigating the Avijit Roy murder case, suspect that Rana, a BBA student of North South University in the capital, is also involved in the killing of the writer-blogger on the Dhaka University campus recently, said sources.

Detectives had earlier said some NSU students, including Rana, allegedly killed Rajib on February 15, 2013, as per sermons by Mufti Jasimuddin Rahmani, a so-called spiritual leader of Ansarullah Bangla Team.

The same brutal rogues of Bangladesh Islam who killed Ahmed Rajib Haider, a simple Bangladesh blogger

[img]http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/files/2013/02/bangladesh2.jpg[/img]
    Ahmed Rajib Haider,  http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=25674.0

Azad Rana  a Rogue ring leader of Islam also apparently responsible  butchering  Avijit Roy on a day light in presence of Police...  and the Bangladesh Govt is sleeping on that case.  Sure he must have crossed the borders of Bangladesh.. 

Reply #40 - March 17, 2015, 03:14 AM

At least they seem to be seriously looking for the killers.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #41 - March 17, 2015, 03:32 AM

thanks for that post kephas.. let me put here full statement of Bonya Ahmed, the beloved Wife Avijit Roy..

(Clicky for piccy!)

Tears have dried up.... no tear in eyes.. it is only blood..

Jesus fuck, what a horrible crime.

And Bangladesh is supposedly progressive compared to Pakistan.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #42 - March 17, 2015, 03:57 AM

I like that.

Reply #43 - March 17, 2015, 09:30 AM

I was at the local humanist center on Saturday, and someone brought this up and asked if atheists in America should be worried. I said no, I don't think so; these sorts of extremists seem to have trouble with people leaving Islam specifically, and not atheists in general. I mean, they'd probably be equally likely to kill someone who converted to Christianity from Islam. That doesn't make it any better, but the fear of "creeping shariah" is still pretty unfounded in America. Except for us.  lipsrsealed

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #44 - March 17, 2015, 09:45 AM

Well it's not like people who've never been muslim aren't murdered for "blasphemy".

Reply #45 - March 17, 2015, 09:50 AM

Well it's not like people who've never been muslim aren't murdered for "blasphemy".

True, but most of the time they have to be much more outspoken about it. Whereas for an apostate, it just needs to become public knowledge that they're an apostate. Fuck, a gay Muslim told me that if I leave Islam he'll have to kill me. And he's gay.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have a sonic screwdriver, a tricorder, and a Type 2 phaser.
     Reply #46 - March 17, 2015, 12:15 PM

A phone call to the police might have been a wise move.

Reply #47 - March 21, 2015, 09:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GonrwhSKKHU&t=57

Father of Avijit Roy speaks to bdnews24.com in an exclusive interview: Part-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks8P8xXrB-s

from richarddawkins.net

Reply #48 - March 22, 2015, 01:51 PM

I would have, if I believed I was in real danger. He may be an abusive cunt, but I don't think he would kill me, if only because he doesn't like the idea of jail.

Reply #49 - March 22, 2015, 01:55 PM

I would have, ........

what would the call to police do??

what do you guys think Bangladesh is England? Canada? AMRIKA??  or France? Germany or other European countries??   It is a college Campus., It wasa book convention and Police were there with in 20 yards .. 100s of people watched them getting butchered .

Reply #50 - April 15, 2015, 11:05 PM

Where words cost lives  ....  JAHED AHMED  writes in To day's Dawn  on  Avijit Roy  and other Bangladesh Bloggers that were killed by Brutal Rogues of Islam..

“Another blogger” is the phrase most English news media worldwide used in their headlines of  blogger  Oyasiqur Rahman Babu’s murder on March 30. The phrase “another blogger”[/b][/u] says a lot: Babu is not the first victim of this seemingly unstoppable brutal crime. By now, most news-savvy readers in the world know, at this moment Bangladesh is the worst place for bloggers and writers.

Little over a month ago, blogger and founder of the weblog Mukto-Mona, Avijit Roy was brutally murdered outside the Ekushey Book Fair in Dhaka. Prior to that, blogger Rajib Haider was murdered near his house and blogger Asif Mohiuddin suffered a serious assault. It all happened simply because these educated young men did what is considered the art of an educated person in any society: speaking your mind, expressing your opinion — freely, fearlessly and honestly.

With these reckless murders, a dangerous pattern — of not just the gravity of the crime, but also of a ‘secular’ government’s abysmal failure to stop it — is being established. The government’s law enforcement agencies, it seems, are as clueless as the rest of us about the masterminds behind these crimes.

We, Bangladeshis everywhere, owe Prof Ajoy Roy a great deal. For over four decades, he taught our youths at Dhaka University; he fought for our freedom in 1971; he worked tirelessly to promote human rights, secularism and communal harmony; as a physicist he contributed to the advancement of science. Those who didn’t know this earlier now know he is also the father of Avijit Roy.

Avijit Roy and I worked together for several years for Mukto-Mona. I’ve served as one of its moderators for many years and have been involved with it since its inception in 2001.
    Of Professor Roy’s many volunteer activities, one was to supervise a few humanitarian projects we undertook in Bangladesh, most notably, our effort to rehabilitate an elementary school in a remote area in Bangladesh which was badly damaged by the hurricane.

I remember, Professor Roy, in his seventies with ailing health, would travel hours from Dhaka by bus, by boat and on foot, to reach the site to meet with the students and teachers. He would then report back every detail, along with pictures, to us. His reports conveyed how passionate he was about helping the needy.

With Avijit Roy’s death, I lost a good friend but Bangladesh lost a man of rare virtues. He was a brilliant writer of popular books on science, an enlightened Bangladeshi who ignited the minds of many Bangladeshis towards science and reason. In a sense, he caused an online renaissance in Bangladesh.

Following Avijit’s Roy death I was in a dilemma whether to call Professor Ajoy Roy.

I decided that whatever it takes I should stand by him during this difficult time. So I gave him a call. It was a short conversation with long pauses in between. “Murdering someone over a disagreement,” said the professor, the veteran freedom fighter of 1971, in a low but steady voice, “Eliminating someone because he said something I don’t approve of! This is not the Bangladesh we dreamed of.”

The few yet forceful words of Professor Roy have been tormenting me. The more I try to forget our conversation, the more profoundly it consumes my mind. It feels as if it’s not just the deaths of a few bloggers, but the core values which once defined us and motivated us in 1971.

Jahed Ahmed is one of the founder members of weblog Mukto-Mona —By arrangement with The Daily Star-Asia News Network
    ..........................Published in Dawn, April 15th, 2015

Reply #51 - May 11, 2015, 03:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taqd6w4lAHw

Rafida Ahmed  Bonna is a writer and the wife of the late writer Avijit Roy  sends a video message to the American Atheists Convention 2015.

boy she lost weight, she aged 20 years in 2 months......... Errrrrrrrrrrr.,  that is life.. that is struggle..  and life goes on.. but yes,...

Our Words Can not be Killed .. and thanks to web.. they will be there and they will be stored for ever,,,

http://www.dawn.com/news/1181326/widow-of-slain-bangladeshi-american-blogger-lashes-out-at-dhaka

Reply #52 - May 11, 2015, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the vid yeez.

Reply #53 - May 12, 2015, 02:00 AM

Thanks for the vid ..............

well such words from people like her gives strength to other to take the fight all the way to the end QSE...

He took that picture at CERN  in  front of that particle accelerator in 2012

I hope she comes out of this horrible tragedy and keeps the memory of her beloved husband alive by her words  and  Sure some of us will keep the light that came out of his pen alive..  But for her nothing will replace the void  of losing him  and  she has to live with those worst nightmares of loosing him in front of her eyes...

He was such a guy who stops his car on the road  he was driving for a frog to walk by ...

Reply #54 - May 12, 2015, 08:24 AM

A third blogger this year has been hacked to death today Cry

Another free thinker murdered

Blogger and an organiser of local Gonojagoron Mancha, Ananta Bijoy Das, was killed in Sylhet this morning in continuation of attack on free thinkers of the society.

The murder comes in persistence of the recent killings of free thinkers Avijit Roy and Oyashiqur Rahman earlier this year – which have been blamed on fanatics.

Ananta Bijoy was killed at Subid Bazar area in Sylhet city around 9:00am this morning, Sylhet Metropolitan Police Commissioner Kamrul Hasan told The Daily Star.

Four assailants intercepted him, chased him down and stabbed him indiscriminately all over, a Gonojagoron Mancha activist sought anonymity to tell our Moulvibazar correspondent.

“Ananta died on the spot,” he said. “Ananta was an organiser of local progressive publication outlet Jukti (logic) and a relentless writer on science.”

Ananta, 31, was son of Rabindra Kumar Das at Subid Bazar area and an employee of Jauwa branch Pubali Bank Limited in Sunamganj, local Mancha spokesperson Debashis Debu said. “He was also actively involved with the politics of Bangladesh Chhatra Union.”

Ananta Bijoy was also a writer in the Muktomona blog site, founded by slain writer Avijit Roy – who was murdered two and half months ago after he came home from abroad.

CHASED DOWN AND KILLED

Ananta Bijoy had just got out from his home, located in Subid Bazar, this morning.

Four assailants gave him a chase from Subid Bazar area, Gousul Hossain, officer-in-charge of Sylhet Airport Police Station, said. “They caught up with him by the side of a nearby pond.”

“They stabbed him indiscriminately and left him lying there around 9:00am. Severy injured, Bijoy was lying there for about 20 minutes before locals rushed to his aid.”

He was declared dead after taken to Sylhet Osmani Medical College and Hospital.

THIRD FREE THINKER KILLED THIS YEAR

Threatened with death multiple times before, blogger and writer Avijit Roy was brutally hacked dead at Dhaka University premises on the night of February 26, days after he came back to the country.

He and his wife Rafida Ahmed Banna were hacked with machetes from the rear near TSC after they got out from Ekushey book fair allegedly under the nose of law enforcers. Banna survived.

Police are yet to make a headway in this case but al-Qaeda unit of the Indian subcontinent claimed responsibility of the killing in a video message.

Barely a month after the killing, blogger Oyasiqur Rahman was hacked to death in broad daylight on March 30. Two attackers caught red handed confessed their involvement and that of others.

Free thinkers have been repeatedly targeted by extremist groups throughout Bangladesh and it appears that the trend set in the past on handling such issues is discouraging.

Victims of those attacks were in the likes of poet Shamsur Rahman, writer and intellectual Humayun Azad, bloggers Asif Mohiuddin and the slain Rajib Haider.

Also (exerpt):

Avijit Roy's widow lashes out at Bangladesh

[...]
    In an interview, Sajeeb Wazed, the son of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, said his mother offered private condolences to Roy’s father. But the political situation in Bangladesh is too volatile for her to comment publicly, he said. Roy was an avowed atheist; the book he was promoting when he was killed is titled “The Virus of Faith.”

“We are walking a fine line here,” said Wazed, an informal consultant for the ruling party, the Awami League. “We don’t want to be seen as atheists. It doesn’t change our core beliefs. We believe in secularism,” he said. “But given that our opposition party plays that religion card against us relentlessly, we can’t come out strongly for him. It’s about perception, not about reality.”

A spokesman at the Bangladesh Embassy in Washington said he did not know why no one from his government had yet to contact Ahmed, who, like her late husband, is a dual Bangladeshi-U.S. citizen.

“We are shocked at the killing of Avijit Roy and have taken all measures to find the culprits responsible for this heinous act,” said spokesman Shamim Ahmad. “Bangladesh is committed to fighting and ending extremism in all its forms.”

The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation deployed agents to Dhaka and is working with Bangladesh authorities, an FBI spokeswoman said. Agents met most recently with Ahmed in the United States on Friday, Ahmed said.

Wazed said Roy’s death came during a three-month period when 160 people died in bus bombings in Dhaka, and shortly before explosions near the prime minister’s motorcade. Wazed blamed political opponents who, he said, seek to destabilize his mother’s government.

“To us, Avijit Roy is no different than the 160 others that have been killed,”
    he said. “We want to bring all the killers to justice. I understand why (his wife) is upset. My mother has been targeted by these same fundamentalists.”
    [...]

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #55 - May 12, 2015, 08:49 AM

I just came across that. Tragic.

Reply #56 - May 12, 2015, 09:42 AM

A third blogger this year has been hacked to death today Cry

http://www.thedailystar.net/country/another-free-thinker-murdered-81836
    Also (exerpt):

In an interview, Sajeeb Wazed, t..

“We are walking a fine line here,” said Wazed, ...............

“To us, Avijit Roy is no different than the 160 others that have been killed,” he said. “We want to bring all the killers to justice. I understand why (his wife) is upset. My mother has been targeted by these same fundamentalists.”
    [...]

...........Blogger and an organiser of local Gonojagoron Mancha, Ananta Bijoy Das, was killed in Sylhet this morning in continuation of attack on free thinkers of the society. The murder comes in persistence of the recent killings of free thinkers Avijit Roy and Oyashiqur Rahman earlier this year – which have been blamed on fanatics.

Ananta Bijoy was killed at Subid Bazar area in Sylhet city around 9:00am this morning, Sylhet Metropolitan Police Commissioner Kamrul Hasan told The Daily Star. Four assailants intercepted him, chased him down and stabbed him indiscriminately all over, a Gonojagoron Mancha activist sought anonymity to tell our Moulvibazar correspondent.....

my goodness gracious ........ THAT FUCKING BITCHING the son of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, should not be in politics.. that scoundrel thinks power politics in Bangladesh is given by his grand father.  Can't this idiot  make living doing something else instead of politics??  Scoundrel is trying to use Islam for his politics. To that scoundrel it doesn't matter who gets killed and why it is all same..

Reply #57 - May 12, 2015, 09:50 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIMHYGPQnEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kv0Ek5swmA

THE ROGUES OF ISLAM  are targeting any one who was a prime member of that mukto-mona

Reply #58 - May 12, 2015, 10:16 AM

The video of Rafida Ahmed Bonna AAC speech was heart-breaking to watch. She does seem a shadow of her former self, I hope she can recover.

I can't believe yet another person has been killed in the same way her husband was.
     Reply #59 - May 12, 2015, 11:33 AM

Time for Bangladeshi Atheists to carry a gun with them all times. If the islamic animals won't coexist peacefully then its time to take measure to defend oneself  from these nut jobs
  • Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »