Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Writer Avijit Roy hacked to death

(Read 35014 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Writer Avijit Roy hacked to death
     OP - February 26, 2015, 05:56 PM

http://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/2015/feb/26/writer-avijit-roy-killed-miscreants-attack

Witnesses said some unidentified miscreants swooped on the bloggers and hacked them mercilessly between 8:30pm and 9pm while they were returning from the book fair...

...Farabi Shafiur Rahman, an Islamist extremist allegedly linked to Jamaat-e-Islami... accused Avijit of defaming Islam and the “prophet” Mohammed and accused Rokomari.com chairman Mahmudul Hasan Sohag of “promoting atheism” by selling his books.

In his Facebook post, Farabi specified the office address of Rokomari.com and called upon his “Islamist friends” in the adjacent locality to attack....
     Reply #1 - February 26, 2015, 06:38 PM

Cry  finmad  Huh?  wacko

No words any more!
     Reply #2 - February 26, 2015, 06:47 PM

Yeah, things don't look good for freedom of expression in many places in the world now. Really sad.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #3 - February 26, 2015, 06:52 PM

We need to get tougher and more defensive of these values! Sick of the bloody 'but-a-sphere' press, individuals, liberals, jihadist/islamists!

*Fuck off!*  finmad  furious Snap out of it Flaming mad This is sparta bullshit
     Reply #4 - February 26, 2015, 07:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ccbgHRVui0

http://www.talkreason.org/articles/roy.cfm

I am deaf.. I am stunned .. I can not stop watering my eyes.. I don't know what to do....

GOOD BY  FRIENDS.........

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #5 - February 26, 2015, 09:34 PM

I am deaf.. I am stunned .. I can not stop watering my eyes.. I don't know what to do....

GOOD BY  FRIENDS.........

See you in a few weeks, take care.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #6 - February 27, 2015, 04:54 PM

As if innocent people being killed because of politics  wasn't enough, now someone died because he was just expressing his opinion. I'm starting to think this country is beyond saving now.
     Reply #7 - February 27, 2015, 06:07 PM

I SO FUCKING WISH I COULD ANNOUNCE TO THE WORLD THAT I WAS AN EX-MUSLIM AND CRITICISE ISLAM FREELY IN PUBLIC AND RADIO AND TV BUT THIS...why should we live in fear all our lives?Huh???

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #8 - February 27, 2015, 06:08 PM

As if innocent people being killed because of politics  wasn't enough, now someone died because he was just expressing his opinion. I'm starting to think this country is beyond saving now.

it's no fair...I feel as though lightening has struck my heart. How terrible! The horror!

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #9 - February 27, 2015, 06:10 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-31656222

But I'm proud that student activists stand up for free speech and created a huanc hain for the protesters. THis is a reall issue and these brave people are truly putting their lvies on the line for a worthy cause at great risk to themselves. Maybe there is a light somewhere....

• Atheist blogger hacked to death in Bangladesh
     Reply #10 - February 27, 2015, 07:29 PM

This is awful. I'm not one to be overly optimistic, but does anyone else get a sense that 'normal people' (including moderate muslims, & putting aside for a min the 'challenges' that brings), have had enough now of all this horrific, ignorant bloodshed? I hope so.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2015/02/bangladesh-protesters-denounce-killing-blogger-150227154935437.html

Ha Ha.
     Reply #11 - February 27, 2015, 07:41 PM

^Merged your thread with the existing thread on this topic, Jack.  Smiley
     Reply #12 - February 27, 2015, 07:51 PM

Wow HM, you've posted like three times today.

To what do we owe this pleasure?

Reply #13 - February 27, 2015, 08:58 PM

Yaumul Jumuah  Smiley
     Reply #14 - February 27, 2015, 10:14 PM

Fear not! Surely HM is with us

9:40

Reply #15 - February 27, 2015, 11:03 PM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/02/27/262772E200000578-2971508-Target_Messages_posted_by_the_militant_group_strongly_linked_the-a-55_1425059963341.jpg
     This is just... I can't even describe it.

Reply #16 - February 27, 2015, 11:22 PM

Reply #17 - February 27, 2015, 11:59 PM

This just released posthumously on centerforenquiry.net:

By Avijit Roy

Dr. Avijit Roy was a Bangladeshi-American blogger, published author, and prominent defender of the freethought movement in Bangladesh. He was well-known for his writings on his self-founded site, Mukto-Mona—an Internet congregation of freethinkers, rationalists, skeptics, atheists, and humanists of mainly Bengali and South Asian descent. As an advocate of atheism, science, and metaphysical naturalism, he published eight Bengali books, and many of his articles have been published in magazines and journals. His last two books, Obisshahser Dorshon (The Philosophy of Disbelief) and Biswasher Virus (The Virus of Faith), have been critically well-received and are popular Bengali books on science, skepticism, and rationalism. At press time, we learned that Dr. Roy was killed and his
    wife injured by unknown assailants while visiting Bangladesh.

The Virus of Faith

Religion, a medieval form of unreason,
    when combined with modern weaponry
    becomes a real threat to our freedoms.
    —Salman Rushdie

On January 7, 2015, the world witnessed a tragic atrocity committed by soldiers of the so-called religion of peace when two masked Islamists armed with assault rifles entered the offices of Charlie Hebdo (a French satirical weekly newspaper) and killed twelve people, including two police officers, three cartoonists, and seven journalists. The gunmen were heard shouting “Allahu Akbar” (“God is great” in Arabic) and “We have avenged the Prophet Muhammad.” A mere three weeks before, on December 16, 2014, nine gunmen affiliated with the Pakistani Taliban conducted a terrorist attack in Peshawar, Pakistan. They entered a school, opened fire, and killed 145 people, 132 of whom were schoolchildren.

To me, such religious extremism is like a highly contagious virus. My own recent experiences in this regard  verify the horrific reality that such religious extremism is a “virus of faith.”

It all started with a book. A national book fair (popularly known as the Ekushey Book Fair) is held every February in Bangladesh. Newly published books are displayed in more than five hundred stalls. Literally thousands of people come to the fair every day and enjoy buying new books. Publishers start preparing for this event quite early as they try to get their books ready for the frenzy of the fair. One of my recent publishers, Jagriti Prakashani, timed the publication of my book Biswasher Virus (Bengali for The Virus of Faith) to coincide with the book fair of 2014.

As soon as the book was released, it rose to the top of the fair’s best-seller list. At the same time, it hit the cranial nerve of Islamic fundamentalists. The death threats started flowing to my e-mail inbox on a regular  basis. I suddenly found myself a target of militant Islamists and terrorists. A well-known extremist by the name of Farabi Shafiur Rahman openly issued death threats to me through his numerous Facebook statuses. In one widely circulated status, Rahman wrote, “Avijit Roy lives in America and so, it is not possible to kill him right now. But he will be murdered when he comes back.”

Let’s put Rahman aside for a moment as I provide readers with a bit of background about the book. I knew there was a growing demand for Biswasher Virus long before it appeared in the market. It started when I wrote a few blogs on this particular topic on MuktoMona (a website of freethinkers of mainly Bengali descent). Due to faithbased politics, a lot had happened in Bangladesh in the year before, some of which I attempted to cover in my writings. When several bloggers were put behind bars for being openly atheist, I published articles including one in Free Inquiry (“Freethought Under Attack in Bangladesh,” Otober/November 2013). I also covered other incidents surrounding the Shahbag Movement, such as an incident in which atheist bloggers including Ahmed Rajib Haider and Asif Mohiuddin were brutally attacked by fundamentalists. Mohiuddin was seriously wounded but luckily survived a murder attempt in Dhaka on January 14, 2014; on the other hand, Haider was found hacked to death there a month later. I found a commonality in these writings: the virus of faith was the weapon that made these atrocities possible.

Another interesting case concerns Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, a Bengali student who came to the United States on a student visa in order to wage Islamic jihad. Nafis was arrested in 2012 by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation in a sting operation after attempting to set off a fake car bomb outside the Federal Reserve building in Manhattan. He was eventually sentenced to thirty years in prison after pleading guilty to terrorism. In my book, I tried to analyze how an afterlife-obsessed, terrorist brain such as Nafis’s could put our civilization in immense danger. Nafis’s deep faith in a holy text and his belief in afterlife rewards led to pursue his jihadi mission against the “infidels”; this can easily be compared to the action of a virus. Faith-based terrorisms are nothing but viruses—if allowed to spread, they will wreak havoc on society in epidemic proportions. On September 11, 2001, Americans experienced a horrific atrocity in their own land that killed almost three thousand people and caused at least $10 billion in property and infrastructure damage. It was, of course, the virus of religion that had persuaded Mohamed Atta and eighteen others that perpetrating this bloodbath was not just a moral act but also a sacred duty. In the Charlie Hebdo attack, the Kouachi brothers killed twelve people and injured several others in the name of Allah and their prophet.

The cases of the Kouachi brothers, Nafis, and Atta are not isolated manifestations of the religion virus. Rev. Michael Bray, the American minister who was convicted of a series of abortion clinic attacks in the eighties, used biblical verses to defend his acts of terrorism. In 1992, Hindu fanatics destroyed Babri Masjid, one of the largest and oldest mosques in Uttar Pradesh of India, based on a religious myth called “Ram Janmabhoomi.” The incident ignited riots in India and neighboring countries.

As I am writing this article, ISIS—one of the most infamous extremist groups—continues torturing minorities and beheading people in the name of Allah. Boko Haram, a terrorist organization in Nigeria, is not only forcing women and girls into prostitution but also massacring thousands of people mercilessly in the name of God. These are only a few examples of the viruses of faiths, and they’re happening all around us. I don’t claim to have come up with any new or novel concept in Biswasher Virus. Those who are familiar with Richard Dawkins’s revolutionary idea of the meme (introduced in his 1976 magnum opus The Selfish Gene) are acquainted with the viral metaphor for religious ideas. Based on this idea, numerous authors have suggested the religion memeplex can behave like a “biological virus” acting in a living organism. Computer scientist Craig James (author of The Religion Virus) and psychologist Darrel W. Ray (author of The God Virus) independently proposed that the “religion meme” can be viewed as a virus. Philosopher Daniel C. Dennett (author of Breaking the Spell) suggested that religions display behavioral control over people in such the same way that parasites invade organisms. For example, the rabies virus infects very specific neurons in the brain of a mammalian host, later inducing the host to bite or otherwise attack others. The lancet fluke (Dicrocoelium dendriticum), a parasite, infects the brains of ants by taking control and driving them to climb to the top of blades of grass, where they can be eaten by cows. Another parasitic hairworm, scientifically known as Spinochordodes tellinii, infects grasshoppers’ brains in a way that makes grasshoppers more likely to jump into water and commit suicide, allowing the worm to mate.

Don’t we see similar occurrences in our human society? Take the horrifying videos of hostage beheadings by ISIS as an example. Regardless, President Barack Obama has made it abundantly clear that the United States is not at war with Islam. On laying out a strategy for dealing with ISIS (or, alternatively, ISIL), Obama declared: “Now, let’s make two things clear: ISIL is not Islamic. No religion condones the killing of innocents, and the vast majority of ISIL’s victims have been Muslim. . . . ISIL is a terrorist organization, pure and simple.” Obama also remarked, “ISIL speaks for no religion.Their victims are overwhelminglyMuslim, and no faith teaches people to massacre innocents. No just God would stand for what they did yesterday, and for what they do every single day.”

Whatever the motivation behind President Obama’s statements—whether it is simple strategy or so-called political correctness—there is very little doubt that ISIS speaks exactly for Islam. ISIS is what unfolds when the virus of faith launches into action and the outbreak becomes an epidemic. The Quran clearly states, “when ye meet the unbelievers (in fight), strike off their heads” (47:4), “smite ye above their necks” (8:12), and “kill them wherever you find them” (2:191). According to the early biography of the Prophet Muhammad by Ibn Ishaq, Muhammad himself sanctioned the merciless massacre of the Banu Qurayza, a vanquished Jewish tribe. Some six hundred to nine hundred Qurayza men were led on Muhammad’s orders to the market in Medina. Trenches were dug, those men were beheaded with swords, and their decapitated corpses were buried in the trenches in presence of Muhammad. Citing the references to the massacre in Shahi Bukhari, the Pakistani Taliban (Tehreek-e-Taliban) considered their recent killing in Peshawar to be consistent with what Prophet Muhammad did to his enemies 1,400 years ago. Even Karen Armstrong—who has become immensely popular among Muslim apologists for “correcting” Western misconceptions about Islam—was so disgusted that she compared Muhammad’s massacre to the Nazi atrocities against the Jews. Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of holy Islam, still utilizes public beheading as a form of capital punishment for crimes including apostasy. When a person is convicted, he or she is taken to a public square, bound, and forced to kneel in front of the executioner. The executioner uses a sword to remove the criminal’s head from his or her body at the neck, following Islamic Sharia law.

ISIS is merely following the tradition that its holy prophet established more than a thousand years ago. We are familiar with the stories of Daniel Pearl, Nick Berg, Kim Sun II, and Paul Johnson, who were captured by the soldiers of Allah and then beheaded. We witnessed the same unfortunate fate for American journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff, as well as British aid worker David Haines. ISIS’s cruel way of killing infidels is indeed sanctioned by holy texts and Islamic sharia laws. Biologist Jerry Coyne was absolutely right in his essay in New Republic: “If ISIS is not Islamic, then the Inquisition was not Catholic either.”

It seems as if the American president has made a vow to avoid criticizing religion at all costs—particularly Islam. Such an attitude is nothing new. Coming just after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, President George W. Bush famously proclaimed that Islam is a “religion of peace.” However, rational scrutiny can show hundreds of verses in the Qur’an, which, by any standard are not “peaceful” but inhuman, parochial, and dangerously viral. For example, the Qur’an tells believers “not to make friends with Jews and Christians” (5:51) but to fight them “until they pay the Jizya (a penalty tax for the non-Muslims living under Islamic rule) with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued” (9:29); to “kill the disbelievers wherever we find them” (2:191); to “murder them and treat them harshly” (9:123); to “fight and slay the non-believers, seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem” (9:5); to “fight the unbelievers until no other religion except Islam is left” (2:193); and so on. Such teachings can easily incite hatred and violence in the mind of a fanatical believer. Just as a parasite can hijack the brain of a grasshopper to promote suicidal behavior, certain texts of a holy book can influence a terrorist’s mind—as seen in the cases of Nafis and Atta—into pursuing hugely destructive works through an insane sacrifice of the host’s life.

Of course I know that most Muslims are not terrorists; they are peaceful. The reason is that they do not follow the Qur’an literally. As Taner Edis (author of An Illusion of Harmony: Science and Religion in Islam) pointed out in one of his essays, “Ordinary Muslims depend heavily on local religious scholars, Sufi orders and similar brotherhoods. . . . They hold Quran sacred, but their understanding of what Islam demands comes through local religious culture.”

Moderate Muslims are, however, quite happy with descriptions such as “religion of peace”; they are similar to rhetoric from seasoned politicians. Osama Bin Laden, Anwar al‑Awlaki, the Kouachis and Coulibaly, Nidal Hasan, al-Qaeda, and ISIS—all of whom follow the scripture literally—are deemed responsible for mass destruction while their cherished dogma remains unquestioned.

Those who wish to be factually correct rather than politically correct may be outcast or even physically threatened.

This is exactly what happened to me. Rahman, the known cyber-terrorist of Bangladesh, issued laughably ironic death threats for my writing of Biswasher Virus. I found there was no difference between them and the “peaceful” Muslim demonstrators in Britain who were photographed (after the Dutch cartoon ontroversy) bearing banners that read, “Behead those who say Islam is a violent religion.” The phrase “religion of peace” gives me a belly laugh nowadays, and the association of Islam’s followers with terrorism never surprises me. It has been revealed that Rahman is linked to the radical Islamist party, Jamaat-e-Islami, and a terrorist organization, Hizbut Tahrir. Last year, Rahman threatened to kill a Muslim cleric who officiated at the funeral of Ahmed Rajib Haider (the aforementioned freethinker who was hacked to death). Under tremendous public pressure, Rahman was arrested, but to everyone’s surprise, he was granted bail within few months. Since then, he has continued to threaten many progressives in Bangladesh, while no official action has been taken against him.

The story doesn’t end there. Rahman also sent a death threat to Rokomari.com (Bangladesh’s first online bookstore) and ordered the site to stop selling my books. In his Facebook post, Rahman published the office address of Rokomari.com and called upon his “Islamist friends” to attack the locality. He also told Mahmudul Hasan Sohagh, the owner of Rokomari.com, that he would suffer the same fate as Haider if he did not comply with Rahman’s demands. As a result, Rokomari.com took my books off its list. The news created a great uproar, and the issue came to the attention of national and worldwide media.

Prominent online newspapers in Bangladesh prominently featured this story; international sites and newspapers reported the incident with due importance. Bangladesh’s government, however, was reluctant to take any action. Rahman was not arrested, and Rokomari.com did not apologize for its wrongdoings.

Regardless, many of my friends, readers, fans, and well-wishers took the issue quite seriously. Many bloggers and writers protested by withdrawing their books from Rokomari.com; others organized a campaign to boycott the company’s products. The situation drew continuous attention in news media, social media, and other circles devoted to free speech and freethought. After two days, Rokomari.com issued a statement on its Facebook page saying, “Rokomari is an online bookstore that does not sell or distribute books that has been banned by state [sic].” Rokomari.com also mentioned that some groups were trying to tarnish its image and reputation. I found Rokomari.com’s statement rather amusing. It is important to note that nobody ever went to court to complain about my book; furthermore, neither the state nor the government banned any of my books. Most of my writings deal with modern science and philosophy and include proper references to journals, newspapers, and academic literature. Nevertheless, Rokomari.com withdrew my books from its site solely based on Rahman’s demand. Rokomari.com’s actions contradict the statement it issued. The site coordinators could have simply said, “Look, since these books were not banned by the state, we can’t withdraw them without a proper investigation.” Or, they could have asked, “Where exactly is the objectionable material?” By getting rid of my books in a medieval fashion, Rokomari.com failed to conduct business in a professional manner.

During a total solar eclipse in 1919, Sir Arthur Eddington’s historical experiment paved the way to test Einstein’s theory over classical Newtonian physics. In a similar way, I think the publication of Biswasher Virus created grounds for testing the hypothesis of whether religious faith can and does act as a virus. The aftermath of the Rokomari.com-Rahman episode and the recent Peshawar and Charlie Hebdo massacres proved the hypothesis to be correct. If one thing is certain, it is that the virus of faith is dangerously real.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #18 - February 28, 2015, 12:01 AM

Even Bangladesh has fallen victim to such horrible acts. I just hate these cowards. Hate to say it but death for these islamic psychos is the only answer as they have shown they can't coexist peacefully.
     Reply #19 - February 28, 2015, 01:07 AM

Lengthy interview on BBC World Service

BBC World Service organized a discussion about the recent situation of free thinkers in Bangladesh. myself (Arifur Rahman), Asif Mohiuddin, Manosi borua and few others were there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkQV1VeCY8M

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #20 - February 28, 2015, 06:39 AM

This whole thing is really tragic, but it probably wasn't the best idea to come to the country after he'd already received the treats or he should've at least maximised security around himself.
     Reply #21 - February 28, 2015, 09:15 AM

^^^^^

This is tragic and I hope that the good that comes out of it is that moderate or teetering Muslims will have had ice-cold water spalshed over their faces and realise that taking Islam seriously leads to this and investigate their faith further or even better buy and read his books.

Maybe we should buy and distribute it to Bengalis http://www.amazon.co.uk/Obisshasher-Dorshon-Philosophy-Disbelief-Avijit/dp/9848972021/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425114778&sr=1-1&keywords=Avijit+Roy

I consider him to be martyr for the cause. Better if he was alive but now that he is dead he symbolises the struggles and fears we all face but also the courage to face adversity despite certain death by those who oppose you.

Reply #22 - March 03, 2015, 02:29 PM

day time.. 100s of people around   people watching.. Police within 20 yards BUT NO ONE HELPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GonrwhSKKHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3d5Pvvhqpg

Suspect Arrested in the murder of  Avijit Roy

Bangladesh security officials say they've arrested a leading suspect in the hacking death last week of Avijit Roy, an American blogger who wrote against religious extremism. Police say the suspect, Farabi Shafiur Rahman, was arrested Monday. (March 2)

and that is one of 1000s of  ISLAMIC HEROES  in Bangladesh

Reply #23 - March 03, 2015, 02:48 PM

Terrible.
     Reply #24 - March 03, 2015, 03:55 PM

The governments in these countries have got to come down seriously hard on these lunatics. As soon as they make their threats - arrest them!!
     Reply #25 - March 04, 2015, 04:11 AM

The Death of a Bangladeshi Writer and the Complicity of the Democratic System writes Mehnaaz Momen

Once upon a time :  Dr. Abhijit Roy  with his wife Rafida Ahmed Bonna  and their daughter  Trisha,(from Facebook)

....A pair of glasses, a pen, and blood and brains surround the limp lifeless body of Abhijit Roy, clad in a red Punjabi, the body of the curious and courageous mind attacked and hacked, left for dead in front of spectators and police, none of whom came to his rescue while he along with his wife was being attacked with a cleaver just outside the Ekushe Book Fair, a public venue. A day later, his father Professor Ajay Roy would hand over the body for medical research, forgoing religious rites, and thus honoring his son’s lifelong quest for rationality and science.

The blogger who started the blog Muktomona (Free Mind) had all the comforts of a successful professional life in Atlanta, yet he wrote book after book in Bangla, ranging from the exploration of relations between religion and science to thoughts on Victoria Ocompo and Rabindranath Tagore.

...His wife Rafida Ahmed is still fighting for her life, without her left thumb.

What did Abhijit and Rafida do to invite such vicious venom?

As I mentioned, they ran the blog site Muktomona, where they posted critical thoughts questioning the norms of religion, politics, culture. Did they write and host unpopular or offensive thoughts? I was not a regular reader of their site, but I hope they did. Why start a blog if it is not thought-provoking? If commonly held beliefs, whether they apply to religion, culture, or politics are not questioned, how will we evolve in this world?

More importantly, the reason for Abhijit’s brutal death does not lie in his actions or writings, but in the perpetrators’ malice and power. The perpetrators used social media to send death threats, never hid their intentions or the depth of their wrath and loathing, and gloated about their achievement after the deed

well read it all at the link., there is more on religious politics of Bangladesh at that link.., Incidentally., Like father  his daughter  Trisha Ahmad Roy also blogs and wrote articles along with her  father on religious rubbish & Social constrains that religious minded SLAVES OF RELIGIONS put on the society..

Reply #26 - March 05, 2015, 03:12 PM

What did Avijit Roy do/write that made him as a target to these Islamism following brutal rogues from Islam? He  was a Bangladesh hindu guy married to his Muslim girl friend  and both of them as team wrote against all religions and their superstitious bullshit.  In fact he was such a wonderful guy he wrote articles along with his daughter..    And I used to read his Mukta Mona and his articles regularly  and some times i used to write in it..

Anyways it is life one way other way it will go way  but I wish he would have not gone to Bangladesh and I wish he had  another 40 years to his life.  People like him give life to others and show the way how to live. I am certain  his words/his articles/his thoughts will stay for ever ..as long as decent human beings live on this planet..  So to remember him let me add here some of his words from his last article "The Virus of Faith" by Avijit Roy

"Faith-based terrorisms are nothing but viruses—if allowed to spread, they will wreak havoc on society in epidemic proportions "

my book Biswasher Virus (Bengali for The Virus of Faith) to coincide with the book fair of 2014. As soon as the book was released, it rose to the top of the fair’s best-seller list. At the same time, it hit the cranial
    nerve of Islamic fundamentalists. The death threats started flowing to my e-mail inbox on a regular basis. I suddenly found myself a target of militant Islamists and terrorists. A well-known extremist by the name of Farabi Shafiur Rahman openly issued death threats to me through his numerous Facebook statuses. In one widely circulated status, Rahman wrote, “Avijit Roy lives in America and so, it is not possible to kill him right now. But he will be murdered when he comes back.”  ....

Well you can read all that and more  at that link but that is what he wrote in his last article... So long my friend and Thank you for all that you did in your short life..

Reply #27 - March 05, 2015, 03:29 PM

I get the feeling you had a deep connection to Avijit Roy, Yeezy and Bangladesh in general - are you connected in some way to the area? Parents from there - or yourself from there?
     Reply #28 - March 07, 2015, 05:25 PM

I get the feeling you had a deep connection to Avijit Roy.............

Yes I do have deep connection to dr.  Avijit., In fact I met him. He never wanted anything for what he did except shine the light in to a dark lifeless society with religiosity  superstitious nonsense...  Well life is gone but his words will light the secular humanistic values as long as internet is alive..

“I think we lost not just a person, but an institute. He was a movement,” said Jahed Ahmed – a New York based co-founder of Mukto-Mona. “He created an online renaissance.”

“It helped him come out of the mechanical attitude engineering students develop,” Ajoy Roy, Avijit’s grief-stricken 80-year-old father told the Guardian in Dhaka. “As he came closer to nature and Tagore’s peaceful and spiritual establishment, they instilled a literary mindset within him.”

“I encouraged him to write … about world identity, keeping Rabindranath’s views on background,” said Roy – himself a noted physicist and human rights campaigner.

“Our aim is to build a society which will not be bound by the dictates of arbitrary authority, comfortable superstition, stifling tradition, or suffocating orthodoxy but would rather be based on reason, compassion, humanity, equality and science,” Roy described the founding mission during a 2007 interview. By its creator’s description, it was the first South Asian humanist and rationalist forum on the internet.

....Ahmed and Roy along with six other expatriate Bangladeshis, would go on to form Mukto-Mona..

All that is from   the guardian.com

“My dad was a prominent Bengali writer, most famous for his books about science and atheism. He and my mom went to Bangladesh last week to publicize his books at Bangladesh’s national book fair. 15 hours ago, Islamic fundamentalists stabbed my dad to death. My mom was severely wounded from the attack and is still in the hospital. His death is headline news in Bangladesh.

The reason I’m sharing this is less for me and more for my dad. He was a firm believer in voicing your opinion to better the world. He and my mom started dating when I was six years old. In the twelve years that followed, he became my friend, my hero, my most trusted confidante, my dance partner (even though we’re both terrible dancers), and my father. Not once did he tell me to simmer down or be more polite; he taught me to be informed, bold, and unafraid.

To say that I’m furious or heartbroken would be an understatement. But as fucked up as the world is, there’s never a reason to stop fighting to make it better. I’ll carry the lessons he taught me and the love he gave me forever. I love you so much, Dad. Thank you for every single thing

What would help me the most right now is if everyone (even people I’ve never met) could share his story. His story should be heard in the US because Bangladesh is powerless; it’s corrupt, there is no law and order, and I highly doubt that any justice will come to the murderers. I want his story to be on US headline news, not only Bangladesh’s. If you could just do all you can to spread word of what’s happened, I would appreciate it so so much. Inform your schools, your communities, write all that you can. Please don’t allow my dad to die in vain.

Please use your influence to help bring some sort of justice to the atrocious acts that have been committed against my parents.

‪#‎WordsCannotBeKilled‬“

and that is from his dauguter Trisha Roy

Reply #29 - March 07, 2015, 05:32 PM

What did Avijit Roy do/write that made him as a target to these Islamism following brutal rogues from Islam? He  was a Bangladesh hindu guy married to his Muslim girl friend  and both of them as team wrote against all religions and their superstitious bullshit.  In fact he was such a wonderful guy he wrote articles along with his daughter..    And I used to read his Mukta Mona and his articles regularly  and some times i used to write in it..

Anyways it is life one way other way it will go way  but I wish he would have not gone to Bangladesh and I wish he had  another 40 years to his life.  People like him give life to others and show the way how to live. I am certain  his words/his articles/his thoughts will stay for ever ..as long as decent human beings live on this planet..  So to remember him let me add here some of his words from his last article "The Virus of Faith" by Avijit Roy

Well you can read all that and more  at that link but that is what he wrote in his last article... So long my friend and Thank you for all that you did in your short life..

That's a very beautiful tribute to the man yeezevee. far away hug

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »