Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ever visited other forums with Pakistanis?

(Read 5595 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ever visited other forums with Pakistanis?
     OP - February 25, 2015, 10:55 AM

Do you ever visit other forums, related to Pakistan? Such as

paklinks dot com
    defence dot pk
    siasat dot pk

The reason I'm asking is, because there are at times rather interesting topics about Islam and belief on those message boards. There are more and more who are either seeing through Islam or at least they are starting to questioning their belief.

I don't think Islam in current form will survive the onslaught of the internet, considering how you can't brainwhash children to uncritically accept everything related to Islam, and then hope he/she will never encounter anyone from the outside world, who will have another perspective on Islam.

I think more pakistani agnostics and atheists should debate with muslim pakistanis on predominantly muslim message boards. That would present alternative views to the narrative they've been indoctrinated with since childhood. Obviously you will have to tolerate abuse, as muslims rarely react reasonably to criticism of Islam.

Couple of interesting threads

paklinks.com/gs/religion-and-philosophy/651412-does-god-needs-people-to-defend-him.html

paklinks.com/gs/general/652681-have-you-ever-questioned-your-belief.html
     Reply #1 - February 25, 2015, 10:56 AM

Quote from above thread

Good thread. Most people don't in any meaningful sense.

Most of the questioning is done to confirm beliefs that people inherit. This results in nothing more than confirmation bias. That's clear from the number of people who actually convert to a different religion or leave religion altogether. What are the chances that an overwhelming majority of people are born into the true religion?

Any inquiry into the veracity of beliefs you inherited can only be meaningful if the starting point is that it's all false or that I'm willing to abandon those beliefs if they don't make sense.

Most people are unwilling to start there or to go to that extent, so either there is zero questioning or it's an exercise in rationalizing beliefs that you already consider to be true.

Reply #2 - February 25, 2015, 06:11 PM

Hi Roberto,

Welcome. You are new here. Please make an introduction in the introductions forum Smiley

You speak a lot about Pakistan so do you haul from a Pakistani or perhaps wider Desi heritage?

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #3 - April 12, 2015, 01:24 PM

Hi Nikolaj,

I've been here before, under a different nick. Smiley I just stopped posting for a few years, because I just got fatigued by the whole debate. When it comes to personal details about myself, I prefer to not reveal too much, due to security concerns, but I guess I can reveal that I am of Pakistani origin.
     Reply #4 - April 12, 2015, 02:33 PM

Welcome back, Roberto. What was your previous handle here?
     Reply #5 - April 12, 2015, 08:50 PM

Thanks toor. About my previous handle, I'd rather not disclose it in public, given how I use the same handle on a few other message boards, and don't want it to be associated with someone who is an ex-muslim. Hope thats ok. Perfectly fine with disclosing it in a private message.
     Reply #6 - April 12, 2015, 09:12 PM

Any inquiry into the veracity of beliefs you inherited can only be meaningful if the starting point is that it's all false or that I'm willing to abandon those beliefs if they don't make sense.

Most people are unwilling to start there or to go to that extent, so either there is zero questioning or it's an exercise in rationalizing beliefs that you already consider to be true.

Really beautifully put  Afro
     Reply #7 - June 06, 2015, 07:13 PM

That quote can not be attributed to me though, but rather a user named Chacha Ghalib on that site. I think he is an Ahmadi. Usually they are more sensible than sunnis.  grin12

Here is another discussion from the same site. Apparently the apostasy laws are just hearsay, and we can all relax.

http://www.paklinks.com/gs/religion-and-philosophy/656209-capital-punishment-for-treason-apostasy.html
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »