Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Atheist terror attack in the US - three young Muslim students killed

(Read 13139 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Atheist terror attack in the US - three young Muslim students killed
     Reply #30 - February 11, 2015, 08:11 PM

Where are all the atheists coming out to denounce terrorism?

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #31 - February 11, 2015, 09:09 PM

I'd reckon most of them don't even imagine it's their responsibility to address. The good thing about the absence of a belief/position is that you don't have to do a lot of damage control for it.

Also, thank you, Musivore.

The shooter looks just like a college adviser I once had, almost identical, except this man clearly has no chin and the cut of his facial hair isn't fooling anyone. Also, is that a picture from him? The gun on a scale? I have cousins who reliably carry all different gauges of bullets in their pickup trucks and celebrate their sons' coming of ages by taking 'em out to slay the woodland creatures, but I've never seen anyone weighing their gun like it was a bag of fruit.

They're reporting now that his family is trying to say that the killings weren't over religion at all, but over a parking dispute.
  • Re: Atheist terror attack in the US - three young Muslim students killed
     Reply #32 - February 11, 2015, 10:04 PM

You are also so biased. Have a moderate Muslim:

(Clicky for piccy!)

Mehdi Hasan is such a twat. Show me anywhere the so-called "Four Horsemen" or any others, have ever advocated murdering innocent Muslim kids in cold blood. IOW, most "New Atheists" are already "moderate".

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #33 - February 11, 2015, 10:08 PM

CNN:
    Still if this is the case, would he have pulled the trigger if the victims did not "look Muslim" Huh?

A lot of Americans shoot other Americans who don't "look Muslim". In fact I'm having a hard time remembering any other examples from the US where the victims were targeted just because they "looked Muslim". At this stage we don't have enough information to know why this fuckwit shot them. Could be a religiously-motivated hate crime. Could be a parking dispute. Could be a mixture of the two, or something else entirely.

Reply #34 - February 11, 2015, 10:16 PM

They were having issues with their neighbor and the neighbor didn't like them bc they were Muslim. Last week his wife invited some people over and they parked in the visitor spot. The neighbor came with a gun at his hip telling them to park elsewhere. Yesterday, right after they got off the bus and were heading home the neighbor shot them in the head

They had just gotten married.

Deah was a dentistry student. He was setting up a relief program for people in Syria. This isn't just the loss of one person. He was going to help hundreds if not thousands

Source: knew them personally

Came across this on reddit, captaindisguise tweeted about it.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #35 - February 11, 2015, 11:15 PM

Chapel Hill suspect's wife says murders not about religion but about parking disputes   ,,BBC news

The wife of the man accused of killing three Muslim students said the attack was motivated by parking, not religion. Karen Hicks said she was "shocked" by the attack but said her husband Craig, 46, had parking disputes with many neighbours, of all religions.  On Wednesday, the wife of Mr Hicks, Karen Hicks stood alongside a lawyer as she told reporters her husband believed "everyone is equal, it doesn't matter what you look like, who you are or what you believe".  Her lawyer said the shooting had "nothing to do with the victims' religious beliefs but had everything to do with a mundane parking spot dispute".

The lack of access to mental health care was the real issue, he said, not terror.

Well AMRIKA appears to have  full of sick people and they are ll equal and  they all need mental health help.. that includes half of its Police force and Its Politicians

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #36 - February 11, 2015, 11:52 PM

At times I do wonder if the lack of X in atheism hinders a viable source/group which helps people resolve issues which religion once provided. It may be a good answer against accusation but it also leaves some that may need help with little options. CEMB itself provides such helps but is specific so may cause people to to search else where. Look at the Klingschor thread. There is a range of opinions covering issues which could be applied here.  Between this thread and Klingschors I have been thinking about the "lack of" position. I wonder if we could do more rather pass the buck on. Religious groups become involved in various support groups such as mental health. I wonder if the view of atheism has nothing to do with mental health issues is a cold shouldered response

We definitely have a responsibility to one another as a part of a community. I think this support aspect is one of the main things that the atheist movement needs to improve going forward.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #37 - February 12, 2015, 12:23 AM

I don't think all atheists are responsible for what this lunatic did, but I do think that the extremists of the new atheist movement need to have a long, hard thinking-over of their extremist rhetoric. Average religious people are not the enemy, but you wouldn't know that listening to the rhetoric of Dawkins et al.

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
     Reply #38 - February 12, 2015, 12:27 AM

I don't think all atheists are responsible for what this lunatic did, but I do think that the extremists of the new atheist movement need to have a long, hard thinking-over of their extremist rhetoric. Average religious people are not the enemy, but you wouldn't know that listening to the rhetoric of Dawkins et al.

Absolutely!

Given all what has gone on recently I think everyone needs to be kinder and stare at cute things like this long earred jerjoba!

Thanks @KiranOpal for posting it up!

https://twitter.com/KiranOpal/status/565661098914119681
     Reply #39 - February 12, 2015, 12:43 AM

The murderers wife lawyer has probably prepared her to say that it's not a hate crime.
     Reply #40 - February 12, 2015, 01:17 AM

As opposed to the all too common I really really like you crimes. The sad thing is that Mehdi's idiot tweet was about what I expected, there'll be people like him and the iERA crowd latching on to this for their own twisted ends. My thoughts and sympathies are with the victims loved ones. It's truly tragic.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #41 - February 12, 2015, 01:27 AM

I don't think all atheists are responsible ......................

Absolutely!
    .............!

So countjulian  and Lilyesque consider that gun slinging  brute who kills people for flimsy reasons as an atheist,.,  Hello QSE.. would you consider him as an atheist?? And I wonder how many members  in this forum consider him as an atheist..

Reply #42 - February 12, 2015, 01:29 AM

If he views himself as an atheist I'm happy to call him one. It's no reflection on me.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #43 - February 12, 2015, 01:34 AM

If he views himself as an atheist I'm happy to call him one. It's no reflection on me.

Nope,  that was not the question.... People say all sorts things about themselves .

Again would you consider a fellow who kill three people., who never expected that he going to shoot them on point blank without they attacking him  neither they look threatening  as an Atheist??

Reply #44 - February 12, 2015, 01:50 AM

I don't understand why that would even be a question. There's no law saying an atheist can't be a murderer.

Reply #45 - February 12, 2015, 03:07 AM

So countjulian  and Lilyesque consider that gun slinging  brute who kills people for flimsy reasons as an atheist,.,  Hello QSE.. would you consider him as an atheist?? And I wonder how many members  in this forum consider him as an atheist..

FFS Yeez, atheism is just a lack of belief in deities. If this clown lacks a belief in deities, then he's an atheist. It's not rocket science.

Reply #46 - February 12, 2015, 06:18 AM

Here's the Facebook page of Craig Hicks, the (alleged) killer of these 3 students: https://www.facebook.com/craig.hicks.967 - quite disturbing to scroll through his old posts and the newer few posts of people who've tagged him.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #47 - February 12, 2015, 06:20 AM

And cars for parking spot disputes

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Re: Atheist terror attack in the US - three young Muslim students killed
     Reply #48 - February 12, 2015, 06:34 AM

Dig Alishba Zarmeen's response to the above:

Sounds quite a bit like the excuses Islamist apologists make when a Jihadi kills people in the West.

I think Maajid has a good point.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #49 - February 12, 2015, 06:35 AM

At times I do wonder if the lack of X in atheism hinders a viable source/group which helps people resolve issues which religion once provided. It may be a good answer against accusation but it also leaves some that may need help with little options. CEMB itself provides such helps but is specific so may cause people to to search else where. Look at the Klingschor thread. There is a range of opinions covering issues which could be applied here.  Between this thread and Klingschors I have been thinking about the "lack of" position. I wonder if we could do more rather pass the buck on. Religious groups become involved in various support groups such as mental health. I wonder if the view of atheism has nothing to do with mental health issues is a cold shouldered response

+1

Reply #50 - February 12, 2015, 06:38 AM

As opposed to the all too common I really really like you crimes. The sad thing is that Mehdi's idiot tweet was about what I expected, there'll be people like him and the iERA crowd latching on to this for their own twisted ends. My thoughts and sympathies are with the victims loved ones. It's truly tragic.

Yep. This Craig Hicks guy (and every asshole out there defending him or his actions in any way) has basically added more prosperity and longevity to the careers of professional 'moderate Islamists' like Mehdi Hasan and others.

Reply #51 - February 12, 2015, 06:39 AM

Agreed. Thing is, the ones who need to look within the most are not doing it. Not from what it looks like on Twitter and elsewhere that I can see.

Reply #52 - February 12, 2015, 06:43 AM

I wish more Ex-Muslims had blogs and wrote thoughtfully on current events more.

Here's one who did:

An ex-Muslim’s words on the Chapel Hill shooting
    by Sadaf Ali

Some people might ask why I care. I’m not Muslim. Well, I’m not exempt from bigotry because I am an ex-Muslim. I very much have a Muslim name. I have Muslim family. I come from a Muslim majority country. Hell, I’ve been called a “fake ex-Muslim” for speaking out against anti-theists and overgeneralized remarks about Muslims.

Yes, I’m no longer Muslim but what does that matter? Ex-Muslim or Muslim, I’ll forever be Muslim to the rest of the world, regardless of who I am, what I do or what I say. That’s a given.

If Craig Stephen Hicks truly targeted Deah Shaddy Barakat, his wife Yusor Mohammad, and Yusor’s sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salhaand, for being Muslim, then why should my having left Islam stop me from worrying about me, my family and my Muslim friends and Muslim communities?

Source

Reply #53 - February 12, 2015, 06:57 AM

Reply #54 - February 12, 2015, 07:01 AM

What gets me is why the fuck a bloke who claims to believe in equality would shoot some kids* just because they were Muslim. It sounds more to me like he was primarily a fruitcake with rage issues (and a gun), and these guys just got in his way on the wrong day.

*Old Fart Syndrome: anyone less than half my age looks like a kid. Tongue

Reply #55 - February 12, 2015, 07:08 AM

Lord knows I don't keep up with Dawkins or anyone similar, so maybe someone can fill me in. Does he/they really go after Muslims or call for their persecution/discrimination like with Harris' profiling support or worse? Or do they advocate violence against them in any way? I was under the assumption, perhaps erroneously, that Dawkins et al were largely just condescending critics of religion. But my experience with his work is that one time I watched a compilation video of some of his debates.

I do think it's important to be careful that we don't ever play into, to any degree, the agenda of those who want this to be a way of demonizing atheists or atheism or the criticism of religion, even if it's by some smug youtube critics whose level of smugness we may not find very helpful. So I hope there's something I'm missing here. But even this discussion some are having about whether or not atheists should or could be responsible in any way for this is absurd. You're going to have to get a lot more nuanced than 'has no religion' to have that discussion.

As for the shooter, I sincerely doubt he was listening to Dawkins/youtube atheists and really got a building contempt for Muslims. That's not really how we take our bigotry over here in general.

What's much more a problem for your average American bigot is a growing network of horrifically racist, fear-mongering blogs masquerading as news sites, and socially conservative outlets like Fox News who have been guilty for years of spreading suspicion of Muslims and hatred of Muslims and coloring them as persecutors of us decent white Christian folks, or shit like American Sniper being released and feeding into the "USA vs. the savage others" mindset. I'll bet you everything I have that the gun-slinging guest parking defender was far more influenced by these sources than any proponent for rationalism and critic of religion.

Oh, and we glorify violence and are swimming in guns and often fancy ourselves as the noble action heroes of the backwoods of the midwest.
     Reply #56 - February 12, 2015, 07:13 AM

Dawkins can be a bit of a twat at times, but he doesn't advocate violence against anyone. He's basically a decent bloke, just not perfect.

Reply #57 - February 12, 2015, 07:32 AM

Aha, thanks, osmanthus. Pretty much everything I know about any of these people comes from what I hear on the forum, actually. I don't think I was even entirely sure who Dawkins was prior to coming here.

:( Yep.
     Reply #58 - February 12, 2015, 08:10 AM

What gets me is why the fuck a bloke who claims to believe in equality would shoot some kids* just because they were Muslim. It sounds more to me like he was primarily a fruitcake with rage issues (and a gun), and these guys just got in his way on the wrong day.

Exactly. He shared this less than a month ago:

*Old Fart Syndrome: anyone less than half my age looks like a kid. Tongue

He is one as well:

But to my knowledge you don't go around waving your gun.

Also, I wonder if this was part of the parking lot dispute? wacko

I still consider it a very likely possibility that the difference between him in a rage pulling the trigger and him NOT pulling the trigger MIGHT have something to do with the young ladies wearing head scarves.

Guns don't kill people. It just lowers the bar tremendously.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #59 - February 12, 2015, 08:31 AM

Athiesm is a religion of peace.

"we stand firm calling to allah all the time,
    we let them know - bang! bang! - coz it's dawah time!"
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »