Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Atheist terror attack in the US - three young Muslim students killed

(Read 13123 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Atheist terror attack in the US - three young Muslim students killed
     OP - February 11, 2015, 11:09 AM

Chapel Hill shooting: Craig Stephen Hicks condemned all religions on Facebook prior to 'Muslim mass-murder' arrest

The man arrested on suspicion of killing three young Muslims in North Carolina described himself as an “anti-theist” and criticised all religions online.

Police said 46-year-old Craig Stephen Hicks handed himself in to officers in Chapel Hill overnight in the wake of the deaths of 23-year-old Deah Shaddy Barakat, his wife Yusor Mohammad, 21, and her sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19.

He has been arrested and charged with three counts of first-degree murder.

As tributes poured in for the young family, a Facebook page in Hicks’ name showed that he read paralegal studies at Durham Technical Community College and described himself as a supporter of “Atheists for Equality”.

A regular social media user, his last three posts were a cute dog video about the Pavlov effect, a viral advert for Air New Zealand involving mountain bikes, and a picture from United Atheists of America asking “why radical Christians and radical Muslims are so opposed to each others’ influence when they agree about so many ideological issues”.

TV programmes liked by Hicks include The Atheist Experience, Criminal Minds and Friends, while he describes himself as a fan of Thomas Paine’s The Age of Reason and Richard Dawkins’ The God Delusion.

Hicks’ pictures largely consist of images with text mocking religion and supporting atheism, but include images of himself and his wife at Disneyland, what he describes as his “loaded 38 revovler”, and himself separately on a quad bike and wearing a suit.

The shooting of the three Muslims has been widely condemned across social media, including by Richard Dawkins himself, who tweeted: “How could any decent person NOT condemn the vile murder of three young US Muslims in Chapel Hill?”

Other users have called on people to donate to a charity in Deah Barakat’s honour. The victim volunteered for a number of agencies providing dental relief to Syrian and Palestinian refugees, as well as caring for homeless people in the US.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #1 - February 11, 2015, 11:15 AM

The three young Muslims killed:

Chapel Hill shooting: Three young Muslims gunned down in North Carolina family home

A family of three young Muslims have been shot dead in their home in a quiet neighbourhood of North Carolina in the US.

Police have named the victims as 23-year-old Deah Shaddy Barakat, his wife Yusor Mohammad, 21, and her sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19.

Officers were called to reports of gunshots at 5.11pm at an apartment block largely housing academics and young professionals on Summerwalk Circle in Chapel Hill.

The victims were found shot dead at the scene, while some residents described not even being aware there was an incident until police arrived.

A 46-year-old man, named by police as Craig Stephen Hicks, has been arrested on suspicion of three counts of first-degree murder.

Hicks described himself as an atheist on Facebook and posted regular images and text condemning all religions. Police said he handed himself in last night.

The shooting has been met with an outpouring of anger on social media, where people posting new pictures of the victims studying and playing basketball claimed they had been “murdered execution style”.

Some compared the incident to the Charlie Hebdo shootings in Paris, and others called on Barack Obama and senior religious figures to condemn the attacks.

An American football and basketball fan, Mr Barakat was believed to be a dental student at the University of North Carolina and volunteered with a charity providing emergency dental care to children in Palestine.

He regularly posted on Twitter, and wrote in January: “It's so freaking sad to hear people saying we should ‘kill Jews’ or ‘kill Palestinians’. As if that's going to solve anything.”

The three victims were recently pictured together at the graduation of his sister-in-law, Razan, who ran a blog showing her interest in photography and art.

She had started a degree at North Carolina State University last summer, studying Architecture and Environmental Design, and her Twitter biography read: “I like buildings and other stuff.”

A community Facebook page set up in the memory of the three victims, called “Our Three Winners”, thanked people for their support and said it would carry “official announcements”.

While it was not immediately clear if it was set up by the family, it carried news that funeral arrangements would follow pending an update from the medical examiner.

“It sorrows us all to see what has happened here today,” another statement read. “Please rely on each other and remember these beautiful souls in your happy thoughts. Their faith meant a lot to them, and it is in fact what helps us all feel at peace with the tragedy of their murder.”

Last night, police were forced to turn away people claiming to be family members at the scene of the crime, saying that they would not be able to confirm any more details until Wednesday.

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #2 - February 11, 2015, 11:26 AM

My goodness gracious  pathetic brutal rogues

That is the  face of hero of Atheism.   Well I guess there are plenty of  BABY  atheists that are NOT humanists or my be not even human.. . I wonder about the reasons for that hero killing innocent folks.,  Is it  racism or atheism behind these  murders of innocent folks..  

Those three guys don't even look like Islamised  Muslim folks

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #3 - February 11, 2015, 11:46 AM

Yes.. Those are the face of Muslims    and this is the face of atheist

HAIL  AMRIKA

Reply #4 - February 11, 2015, 11:50 AM

I look a lot more like the atheist than the Muslims there lipsrsealed White, male, atheist, in his forties.

Reply #5 - February 11, 2015, 12:05 PM

I look a lot more like the atheist than the Muslims there lipsrsealed White, male, atheist, in his forties.

looks have very little to do what people to do Nikolaj..

Once the human being loose that human component in his life and in his actions , it doesn't matter what faith they follow they are all unevolved  species to me..

Reply #6 - February 11, 2015, 12:26 PM

Sad! Not sure about the term "atheist terror attack" though.
     Reply #7 - February 11, 2015, 12:30 PM

You are also so biased. Have a moderate Muslim:

Reply #8 - February 11, 2015, 12:34 PM

Or an Ahmadiyya

Reply #9 - February 11, 2015, 12:41 PM

Or an Ahmadiyya

(Clicky for piccy!)

Hmm..........       Now Muslim intellectuals, Christian and other religious intellectuals will have field day  on atheists  for next month or so .

where is Dr. Dawkins??  Put him in jail..

Reply #10 - February 11, 2015, 01:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ut_RsJQh3w

What he is saying is right.. Western media did not   scream the way they usually do if That rogue was a Muslim and these three college going guys were Non-Muslims..

Gunned down: (From left) Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23, his wife Yusor Mohammad, 21, and her sister Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19, were all shot dead near the University of North Carolina on Tuesday

Damn.. 19,   21 and 23 .. they  had so much life ahead of them ROGUE killed them  for no good reason

Reply #11 - February 11, 2015, 01:34 PM

(Clicky for piccy!)

Mehdi Hasan is such a big hypocrite.
    Has Atheism an holy book where it is written that you can kill infidels? 
     Reply #12 - February 11, 2015, 01:42 PM

Maajid Nawaz chirps in

Reply #13 - February 11, 2015, 02:08 PM

Mehdi Hasan is such a big hypocrite.
    Has Atheism an holy book where it is written that you can kill infidels? 

Agreed!

Maajid almost got it right!
     Reply #14 - February 11, 2015, 02:28 PM

(Clicky for piccy!)

Why, it ALMOST sounds like Mr. Hasan is happy that this tragedy has given him an excuse to use such a terrible line.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #15 - February 11, 2015, 02:29 PM

RIP to the victims of this scum.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #16 - February 11, 2015, 02:35 PM

Why, it ALMOST sounds like Mr. Hasan is happy that this tragedy has given him an excuse to use such a terrible line.

Yup! Also the warped view of atheism being a doctrine/ideology with texts doesn't help as it is either an ignorant point or deliberate spreading of misinformation.
     Reply #17 - February 11, 2015, 02:46 PM

Dig Alishba Zarmeen's response to the above:

I have corrections for you, Maajid Nawaz:
    1) √
    2) Not all anti-theists are bigots. Anti-theist does not mean theist as a person but theism as an ideology. Hitchens was a famous anti-theist and you know that his wife & best friend were both Jewish and Catholic respectively.
    3) Wrong analogy because anti-theism is not comparable to something that has a central DOCTRINE. Anti-theist is merely a vocal atheist (like me) and this alone is not a guarantee that all anti-theist atheists believe in secular democratic humanism; i.e, you had atheists like Stalin & you have atheists like Bill Gates but their political philosophies are different because there is no book or idea that binds atheists together.
    4) √
    5) √
    6) No, that is bullshit because Islam (like other religions) has a HOLY doctrine called Quran & Hadith. There is NO CENTRAL DOCTRINE for "atheism." Atheism is simply the conclusion of lack of belief in a god. Nothing more, nothing less. Any other labels that different atheists identify with are what define their life philosophy. You can be an atheist republican, atheist democrat, atheist dictator, atheist secular humanist etc without anyone questioning "true atheism." But there IS such a thing as true Islam or true Christianity or True Hinduism etc because there are books and prescriptions one MUST follow. No such restriction applies to atheism. Atheism is as comparable to any religion as an off TV is comparable to a channel or bald is comparable to a hair color.
    7) √
    8 ) √

Reply #18 - February 11, 2015, 03:06 PM

At times I do wonder if the lack of X in atheism hinders a viable source/group which helps people resolve issues which religion once provided. It may be a good answer against accusation but it also leaves some that may need help with little options. CEMB itself provides such helps but is specific so may cause people to to search else where. Look at the Klingschor thread. There is a range of opinions covering issues which could be applied here.  Between this thread and Klingschors I have been thinking about the "lack of" position. I wonder if we could do more rather pass the buck on. Religious groups become involved in various support groups such as mental health. I wonder if the view of atheism has nothing to do with mental health issues is a cold shouldered response
     Reply #19 - February 11, 2015, 03:11 PM

This is so heart breaking .. Barakat and Abu-Salha were married Dec. 27

Yusor dancing with her father at her wedding.

She was scheduled to graduate in December with a degree in biological sciences from NCSU, according to a university release, and she graduated in 2011 from Athens Drive High School in Raleigh. Her sister Razan Abu-Salha graduated from Athens Drive in 2013 and was studying architecture and environmental design at NCSU."

"Barakat, a Syrian-American, majored in business administration and management at NCSU before enrolling at UNC-Chapel Hill in 2013 to pursue his doctorate in dental surgery. Both he and Abu-Salha advocated for global dental health, providing care and supplies to people in the United States and the Middle East. On Jan. 29, Barakat posted a Facebook photo of a Durham project that gave dental supplies and food to more than 75 homeless people this year.

Reply #20 - February 11, 2015, 03:22 PM

CNN:
    Police said "an ongoing neighbor dispute over parking" may have compelled the accused, Craig Stephen Hicks, to allegedly carry out the attack Tuesday evening.

Hicks turned himself in to police later in the night and is being held in the Durham County Jail without bond. He was cooperating with investigators, police said Wednesday morning.

"Our investigators are exploring what could have motivated Mr. Hicks to commit such a senseless and tragic act. We understand the concerns about the possibility that this was hate-motivated and we will exhaust every lead to determine if that is the case," said Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue.

Still if this is the case, would he have pulled the trigger if the victims did not "look Muslim" Huh?

Reply #21 - February 11, 2015, 03:30 PM

CNN:
    Police said "an ongoing neighbor dispute over parking" may have compelled the accused, Craig Stephen Hicks, to allegedly carry out the attack Tuesday evening

Still if this is the case, would he have pulled the trigger if the victims did not "look Muslim" Huh?

I hope you guys can get bit more details on that Brutal rogue..

Reply #22 - February 11, 2015, 04:04 PM

It's a shame to see the tragedy of their deaths cheapened by people eager and giddy to use the story to show that it's clearly the fault of Islam, or obviously the fault of not enough Islam. What about the fact that he is clearly a mentally disturbed man from America where buying bullets is literally easier than purchasing certain allergy medications?

As for his inspiration, I'm sure he was just as exposed to legitimate examples of religiously-justified cruelty abroad and the fear-mongering that's rampant in the West. In other words, a cycle that is a problem for everyone. We should learn from his ironic contribution to the longevity of this cycle and avoid making the same mistake.

Reply #23 - February 11, 2015, 04:20 PM

This should be his Facebook page. It has absolutely no anti-Muslim bigotry on it from what I have browsed by and what I can see as someone with absolutely no Facebook-relations shared with him. But it has quite a few memes on equality.

Craig Hicks

Posting a bunch here:

Reply #24 - February 11, 2015, 05:00 PM

It's a shame to see the tragedy of their deaths cheapened by people eager and giddy to use the story to show that it's clearly the fault of Islam, or obviously the fault of not enough Islam. ....................

Clearly the fault of Islam?? who is doing that? I am under the impression people are blaming Atheist/non-theist  or new age atheism  for those brutal murder of innocent folks..  for .e.g

"Anti-theist" kills three Muslim students in US shooting Dawn news

Three Muslims killed in US; radical atheist in police custody Jerusalem Post news

White male atheist murders three Muslim students The New Statesman

Progressive Atheist Kills 3 Muslim Students, Media Ignores

well I got some 100 news links with such heading.. so lua  where did you get that news that some one is blaming Islam for those chilling killings..??

Reply #25 - February 11, 2015, 05:09 PM

The only worrying update I could find on his Facebook page was this:

'MURICA!

And then he also posted those lipsrsealed

Reply #26 - February 11, 2015, 06:24 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg1oW6hrx-0
    Dental charity for Syrian refugees organised by Deah Barakat

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/syrian-dental-relief/206249
     Reply #27 - February 11, 2015, 06:28 PM

This is so sad.
     Reply #28 - February 11, 2015, 06:51 PM

It's a shame to see the tragedy of their deaths cheapened by people eager and giddy to use the story to show that it's clearly the fault of Islam, or obviously the fault of not enough Islam. What about the fact that he is clearly a mentally disturbed man from America where buying bullets is literally easier than purchasing certain allergy medications?

As for his inspiration, I'm sure he was just as exposed to legitimate examples of religiously-justified cruelty abroad and the fear-mongering that's rampant in the West. In other words, a cycle that is a problem for everyone. We should learn from his ironic contribution to the longevity of this cycle and avoid making the same mistake.

Well said lua. You'd have summed up my thoughts there, had my mind currently not been so vacant.

Hi
     Reply #29 - February 11, 2015, 06:53 PM

This is so sad.

You too Senga

Hi
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »